Options

In all the cantinas in all the world, why'd [Star Wars] have to walk into mine?

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They should hire Ira Behr and Ron Moore to make that show.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble thinking of what I would want to see in a Star Wars underworld show. No Jedi or lightsaber fights. No space battles except for a lot of scenes of smuggler ships running away. No large scale battles. I mean, how do you even do something Star Wars that has no Wars in it?

Maybe by "underworld show" they actually meant "crime investigation" show.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote:
    I'm having trouble thinking of what I would want to see in a Star Wars underworld show. No Jedi or lightsaber fights. No space battles except for a lot of scenes of smuggler ships running away. No large scale battles. I mean, how do you even do something Star Wars that has no Wars in it?

Maybe by "underworld show" they actually meant "crime investigation" show.

C.S.I: Corusant.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've been playing through Knights of the Old Republic 2 again, with a restoration mod (just to see what things are like), and it inspired the idea to go to Wookieepedia, and see what's changed for Revan / The Exile.

Now, this trip taught me one thing - Wookieepedia is managed by children, I guess, because every line in any given article is a line or phrase from some source (like the Exile's page is full of lines and phrases spoken to / of her from KotOR2, like just about word for word). These fucks don't know how to editorialize a damn thing. So this was a pain in the ass to read through.
    What I found really displeased me. First, they gave the Jedi Exile a fucking name (they being the collective EU authors, whatever fucked up retard-cabal they've turned into). It really diminishes a lot of impact the character would've otherwise had, like from a folklore perspective. It would've been so much more powerful to always refer to the Exile in hindsight, rather than make her a person. But not just that, then they turn her into a goddamn Force ghost, just so that she can appear all over the place whenever. While reading up on her though, that's when I found out about Revan somehow being alive in the era of The Old Republic.

My jaw hit the fucking floor.

It wasn't described how he stayed alive there, so I had to go to his article. Which, again, editors needed at Wookieepedia, you don't have to describe Knights of the Old Republic in EXCRUCIATING DETAIL like that. I finally found out that they put him in some bullshit stasis thing. And I guess they reversed the canon that he was conquering the Republic to be in control of it to organize it against the Sith; turns out he just wanted to be in charge of his own Evil 'Nyeh Nyeh' Empire! Why have it be for some interesting reason?

Now I'm just convinced that people who say franchise fiction is shit are correct.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    I've been playing through Knights of the Old Republic 2 again, with a restoration mod (just to see what things are like), and it inspired the idea to go to Wookieepedia, and see what's changed for Revan / The Exile.

Now, this trip taught me one thing - Wookieepedia is managed by children, I guess, because every line in any given article is a line or phrase from some source (like the Exile's page is full of lines and phrases spoken to / of her from KotOR2, like just about word for word). These fucks don't know how to editorialize a damn thing. So this was a pain in the ass to read through.
    What I found really displeased me. First, they gave the Jedi Exile a fucking name (they being the collective EU authors, whatever fucked up retard-cabal they've turned into). It really diminishes a lot of impact the character would've otherwise had, like from a folklore perspective. It would've been so much more powerful to always refer to the Exile in hindsight, rather than make her a person. But not just that, then they turn her into a goddamn Force ghost, just so that she can appear all over the place whenever. While reading up on her though, that's when I found out about Revan somehow being alive in the era of The Old Republic.

It wasn't described how he stayed alive there, so I had to go to his article. Which, again, editors needed at Wookieepedia, you don't have to describe Knights of the Old Republic in EXCRUCIATING DETAIL like that. I finally found out that they put him in some bullshit stasis thing. And I guess they reversed the canon that he was conquering the Republic to be in control of it to organize it against the Sith; turns out he just wanted to be in charge of his own Evil 'Nyeh Nyeh' Empire! Why have it be for some interesting reason?

Now I'm just convinced that people who say franchise fiction is shit are correct.

It's not all bad. YMMV, of course.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

It's not all bad. YMMV, of course.

The problem is when popular things with integrity get identified and picked up by the retard-cabal I mentioned above.

KotOR introduced a neat twist to a character. KotOR 2 built on that character in huge ways without having his presence there, and you instead played an unnamed subordinate of his to get that perspective. It was huge and intriguing, and people wanted to see where the conclusion was leading.

But I don't think people wanted to see the conclusion that badly; I think it inspired people in the position to make decisions to, well, decide to make all that shit above happen, for the sake of appeasement. But it was patched-in dirtily, rather than handled with any sort of care. And done in a manner where all the interesting shit was wiped off the table.

So is it all bad? No. But the next time something arises from Star Wars fiction that has equal appeal, it's gonna get abused to hell and back and turned to shit.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Wookieepedia is run by children?

You mean the entry on breasts, complete with nsfw fan art, wasn't put in by a mature professional person?

Say it aint so

override367 on
  • Options
    Wookieepedia is run by children?

You mean the entry on breasts, complete with nsfw fan art, wasn't put in by a mature professional person?

Say it aint so

What.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I just looked it up and it is indeed true. Though I wouldn't call any of it particularly NSFW. At least not when a person is looking up the word breast.

• Options
    Oh my god, it exists.

I'm never going to this fucking site again.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

/nod

And hey, don't give up on Wookiepedia. It at least has this!
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/George_R._Binks

Seriously, read it!

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm sort of curious how involved George would be involved with the TV series at any rate. I mean...he's retiring to make small features...right? No more Star Wars stuff for him. No sir. Just artsy projects that focus on frame rate and lens focus manipulation. He surely will never touch the Star Wars franchise again.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    devCharles wrote:
    I'm sort of curious how involved George would be involved with the TV series at any rate. I mean...he's retiring to make small features...right? No more Star Wars stuff for him. No sir. Just artsy projects that focus on frame rate and lens focus manipulation. He surely will never touch the Star Wars franchise again.

He will. If anything this gives him more time to focus on the tv shows and video games.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    devCharles wrote:

Possible euphemism for TV? I wouldn't rule it out.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So there was this atrocious trailer released for the new 3D re-release of Phantom Menace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69ftWNg97U&feature=youtu.be

"Hurry up Qui-Gon, you don't want to be late for the celebration!"

*Cue scene from movie after he's dead with a parade going on.*

Which is fairly hilarious by itself. Then I found this on the Red Letter Media twitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDH60Spj-l8

I may dislike how much Plinkett goes nuts over various minutiae in the films, and blows some things out of proportion. But damn if that isn't really goddamned funny.

Archonex on
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Archonex wrote:
    "Hurry up Qui-Gon, you don't want to be late for the celebration!"

*Cue scene from movie after he's dead with a parade going on.*

Qui-Gon: "Oh okay. Hey, will I like this surprise?"

Uncle Scar: "Qui-Gon, it's to die for."

pirateluigi on
    http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Is that first one actual real? Like, they actually made that? Officially?

Fuck you Lucas.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Henroid wrote:
    Oh my god, it exists.

Good, embrace your hatred, it makes you stronger
    shryke wrote:

Fuck you Lucas.

I thought the same thing, I saw the parody first and laughed.

I saw the real one and did not.

override367 on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Probably the best way to describe the Jedi ability to deflect blaster bolts, etc. would be 'reflexive precognition.' On the same line as spider-sense.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote:
    Probably the best way to describe the Jedi ability to deflect blaster bolts, etc. would be 'reflexive precognition.' On the same line as spider-sense.
    I don't think that would be 100% effective on a battlefield where even being able to see a few seconds into the future wouldn't always save you from things like clouds of shrapnel or the damage from overpressure caused by large explosions.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    MagicPrime wrote:
    I don't think that would be 100% effective on a battlefield where even being able to see a few seconds into the future wouldn't always save you from things like clouds of shrapnel or the damage from overpressure caused by large explosions.
    That makes sense. We see Jedi get shot and blown up from time to time.

Yeah. The Force is an advantage, not an 'I win' button. If someone has to pilot an armored speeder through an artillery field then a Jedi would be much more likely to make it than the average solider. Their reflexive precognition helping them to be able to dodge impacts, etc.

Jedi on the frontlines of a full-scale battle wouldn't be nearly as effective as a Jedi with some republic commandos dropped in behind enemy lines to wreck shit. If a Jedi gets into a base where the last line of defense is small arms and hand grenades the Jedi is at a huge advantage.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote:
    Yeah. The Force is an advantage, not an 'I win' button.

Tell that to the makers of Star Wars video games.

And the silly geese who play them and hate losing to non-Jedi.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    That was one thing Jefi Power Battles did well. Holding block deflected everything, but blocking at just before a blaster hit you redirected it back at the shooter.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    Which is a problem in its own right. The order is depicted as being old and decrepit. It's so weak in the force it can't sense their damn arch-enemy is living in the same building as them. The implication is that the Jedi have strayed from what they should be. Vader's return at the end of six due to his love for his son and Luke's ability to defeat both but not become the emotionless husks the old order was reinforces the idea in our heads that the Jedi were wrong.\

This is then totally in conflict with the supposed reason for Anikin's fall.

I only half-agree.

Luke's emotional attachments screw him over several times in the OT. He runs off to Bespin because of his emotional attachments to Han and Leia, nearly getting himself captured and killed, while still failing to save Han. His attachment to them, as well as Vader, also gets him to play right into Palpatine's hands in ROTJ - from turning himself in, to attacking Palpatine, to freaking out and bum-rushing Vader.

It's only when he's right about to kill Vader that the rational part of his brain kicks back in, when he stares at his hand and realizes he's becoming another Vader. Vader's redemption is the only positive produced by an emotional attachment. Before that one moment, emotional attachments are a negative for Luke throughout the OT.

And that's not even counting all the negatives that emotional attachments produce in the OT, like Anakin slaughtering the Tuskens or attacking Mace or attacking Obi-wan. Looking at what Anakin's emotional attachments led to, I don't know if it's fair to say the Jedi were wrong to fear emotional attachments.

At best, they're a double-edged sword to be handled very cautiously. You can't have people as overpowered as the Jedi running around being guided by their emotions all the time, that's how you get Vader killing anyone who looks at him funny.

Anakin being irritated that his mother remaining a slave isn't wrong IMO. Of course a kid is going to psychologically messed up knowing his mother will remain a slave while he travels around the galaxy kicking heads in. The Jedi were in the wrong not to find a way to rescue his mother later on. They could have sent a strike team back to Tatooine to rescue her then put her on a Core world with some savings (they seemed to be wealthy or connected enough for this) to put him at ease. Or Anakin himself could do it on his own when he's old enough.

Why would they do any of these things? The code of the order is to give up emotional attachments. Forming an entire strike team for the purpose of bringing a Jedi's mother to live with him is as opposite that as it gets.

Plus then they'd have to bring in every other kid Jedi's mom and dad and sister and brother and 3rd cousin too. If an emotional attachment to a parent is good for Anakin, it's good for other Jedi as well.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:

They also ruined Kreia and the True Sith.

Kreia was just a Jedi Master driven mad by Sith holocrons.

As for the True Sith, it was described as more of something that would test one's resolve and fundamental beliefs rather just a big evil empire that threatens to conquer everyone. "The Sith is a belief. And its empire, the true Sith Empire, rules elsewhere. And Revan knew the true war is not against the Republic. It waits for us, beyond the Outer Rim. And he has gone to fight it, in his way. And he left the Ebon Hawk and all its machines behind, for he knew he would not need them. And, like you, he knew he must leave all loves behind as well, no matter how deeply one cares for them. Because such attachments would only bring doom to them both in the dark places where he now walks."

Then there's also this, "The Republic was never what was important - ever. It was but a shell that surrounds the Jedi - just as the teachings of the Jedi are a shell surrounding the heart of man. You see, the war, the true war, has never been one waged by droids, or warships, or soldiers. They are but crude matter, obstacles against which we test ourselves. The true war is waged in the hearts of all living things, against our own natures, light or dark. That is what shapes and binds this galaxy, not these creations of man. You are the battle ground. And if you fall, the death of the Republic will be such a quiet thing, a whisper, that shall herald the darkness to come."

Based on how they are described, it's heavily implied that Sith is an ideal that resides within the hearts and minds of those who are True to its teachings.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    zerg rush wrote:
    Wait what? That doesn't make any sense. How would the Jedi be able to counter blaster shots from droids? Heck, how does Luke reflect blaster shots from that little ball?

I thought they had that scene in episode one talking about how Anakin is able to pod-race, and how it's the same way Jedi are able to fight. Anakin's the only human with reflexes fast enough to race, because he's 'reacting' to his visions of the future before they happen.

I was under the impression that all Jedi can see the future a little bit (a couple seconds) which increased with power in the force. Long term seeing was a harder skill which required visions to come to you or meditation if you wanted to force it.

Same here. That's how it comes across with the EU novels.

To be fair, the EU also hinted only enough at the Clone Wars for the name to make some fucking sense and move on, before the new moves were thrown in, and they were immediately retconned.

You know shit's weird when they're modifying a bunch of books (good and bad) to match some additional shitty movies.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote:
    I don't know how you ruin an evil-to-the-core Sith like Kreia by describing her as a Jedi corrupted by her search for hidden knowledge. But that's neither here no there; the real problem with the Revan franchise fiction book (and thus, Old Republic continuity) is that no respect is paid to the characters of Revan and the Exile.

Book / history spoilers
    Revan and the Exile go to confront the Emperor with a Sith ally, Lord Scourge. Scourge betrays them, killing the Exile and crippling Revan. This takes place in 3,950 BBY.

SWTOR spoilers (serious end game spoilers for both the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior classes):
    Revan and Lord Scourge resurface in 3,643 BBY - three hundred years later. Revan features heavily in a Flashpoint (story based dungeon) for both sides, while Lord Scourge is a companion for characters of the Jedi Knight class. They go together to confront (and defeat) the Emperor*.

* - After the end of the Sith Warrior class story, you find out that it was just another Voice of the Emperor, and not the Emperor himself

So you have two beloved characters that carelessly used, tossed aside, and made to dance for a cameo that stretches the bounds of Star Wars believability. It's disappointing.

Kreia wasn't a Sith and she was no more evil than Revan. In fact, Revan learned his most important lessons from Kreia.

• Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Oh my god, it exists.

Good, embrace your hatred, it makes you stronger
    shryke wrote:

Fuck you Lucas.

I thought the same thing, I saw the parody first and laughed.

I saw the real one and did not.

Keep in mind, the intended audience of those trailers were born AFTER the phantom menace came out. Anyone feel old yet?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Every commercial for TPM has Obi-wan shouting "noooo!" (from when Qui-gon gets stabbed).

With some careful editing that could be a much better ad.

Announcer: "Star Wars, Episode 1. The Phantom Meneace."
    OW: "Noooo!"

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaT wrote:
    Why would they do any of these things? The code of the order is to give up emotional attachments. Forming an entire strike team for the purpose of bringing a Jedi's mother to live with him is as opposite that as it gets.

It's better then leaving it to chance that said emotional attachment won't break the Jedi psychologically if they're ever harmed or killed. Anakin can't be the only Jedi who went insane when his parents were killed off by bad guys.

I never said she had to live with him. Only to live on Corusant.
    Plus then they'd have to bring in every other kid Jedi's mom and dad and sister and brother and 3rd cousin too. If an emotional attachment to a parent is good for Anakin, it's good for other Jedi as well.

That would be a good idea, actually. The Order doesn't need to make them Jedi, just keep them somewhere safe.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote:
    zerg rush wrote:
    Wait what? That doesn't make any sense. How would the Jedi be able to counter blaster shots from droids? Heck, how does Luke reflect blaster shots from that little ball?

I thought they had that scene in episode one talking about how Anakin is able to pod-race, and how it's the same way Jedi are able to fight. Anakin's the only human with reflexes fast enough to race, because he's 'reacting' to his visions of the future before they happen.

I was under the impression that all Jedi can see the future a little bit (a couple seconds) which increased with power in the force. Long term seeing was a harder skill which required visions to come to you or meditation if you wanted to force it.

Same here. That's how it comes across with the EU novels.

To be fair, the EU also hinted only enough at the Clone Wars for the name to make some fucking sense and move on, before the new moves were thrown in, and they were immediately retconned.

You know shit's weird when they're modifying a bunch of books (good and bad) to match some additional shitty movies.

That's not the EU's fault, it's how LucasArts canon works.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I wonder, are we supposed to think the Jedi of the Republic were doing it right? Every EU take on it heavily implies the order was being really stupid about relationships. The prequels seem to imply they were right, with Anakin's fall and whatnot, but the original trilogy shows him redeemed because of family ties.

You have stuff like Old Republic lore, where apparently the council wanted to expel Revan and Bastila Shan for being married but couldn't without bad PR due to the whole hero thing. So they settled for making him stay quiet about love being a good thing and keeping to himself in exchange for leaving him alone.

Basically it really looks like the old Jedi Order deserved to fall apart, if not as catastrophically as it did.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Kamar wrote:
    I wonder, are we supposed to think the Jedi of the Republic were doing it right? Every EU take on it heavily implies the order was being really stupid about relationships. The prequels seem to imply they were right, with Anakin's fall and whatnot, but the original trilogy shows him redeemed because of family ties.

You have stuff like Old Republic lore, where apparently the council wanted to expel Revan and Bastila Shan for being married but couldn't without bad PR due to the whole hero thing. So they settled for making him stay quiet about love being a good thing and keeping to himself in exchange for leaving him alone.

Basically it really looks like the old Jedi Order deserved to fall apart, if not as catastrophically as it did.

From the interviews I've read or heard Lucas has stated you're meant to think the Jedi in the prequels were a bunch of obselete dicks.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    A friend of mine is an old school extended universe fan, who read all the Star Wars comics as they came out. One of his favorites was "Tales of the Jedi," about a married Jedi couple with an adorable daughter. Nothing bad ever happened to them. This was set centuries before even KotOR.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    That may need to be retconned so that the presence of a wife and child will drive that Jedi insane, down the path of the dark side!

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    A friend of mine is an old school extended universe fan, who read all the Star Wars comics as they came out. One of his favorites was "Tales of the Jedi," about a married Jedi couple with an adorable daughter. Nothing bad ever happened to them. This was set centuries before even KotOR.

Well except for the part were her husband is killed by pirates, her new best friend falls to the dark side and kills his brother causing her to sever him from the Force forever, and then her daughter goes to him to learn how to be a Jedi and together they find redemption only to have him be shot by some guy.

But yeah, other than that. :^: :^: :^:

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    The jedi's shitty rules on relationships literally destroyed the order in the canon, so there's that

Why they're so retarded in SWTOR I don't know, I don't even want to finish my jedi quest because why the fuck would I side with these assholes

• Options
    Been playing KOTOR 2 with a restoration mod and just now saw the scene with the Jedi council and Kreia. Even though there weren't a whole lot of changes, it was all enough to make the scene better. Damn that was great.

• Options
    The whole idea of Force bonds and how Force sensitives could potentially dominate the will of the people they form Force bonds with does help to explain the Jedi's rules on relationships. When Jedi get close to other people, they could inadvertently take over their minds and rob them of their free will.

• Options
    The whole idea of Force bonds and how Force sensitives could potentially dominate the will of the people they form Force bonds with does help to explain the Jedi's rules on relationships. When Jedi get close to other people, they could inadvertently take over their minds and rob them of their free will.

If that's true I haven't seen it in the live action films or Clone Wars cartoons.