Options

[mini Phalla] Euro 2012! Italy 2 - 1 Ireland (AET) - Village Win!

• Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote:
    Was that my replica ball that prevented the goal, Akimbo?

Also, the game ending with me getting everyone in the world drunk, and Interpol arresting the Queen of England is pretty much the best.

Yes. Without your items at the end Italy would have lost.

The pie didn't make a difference, so the fact that it was purchased late didn't matter.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Yep...I counted my lucky stars that the mafia didn't try to kill me considering not one special contacted me after i called my kill.

That was mostly ineptitude, unfortunately. I played a part in that, being so caught up in the irish thing (being the irish supporter) and letting the people who had the roles do what they would with them. Except... they apparently didnt a few times :(

When it was just me left I figured it would just sow confusion if I left you alive- especially if it took some of the effort away from the whole football game thing, which we needed to win. As it turns out everything went according to plan...except for my inability to drum up support for Ireland in the last couple of games. :(

• Options
    Yep...I counted my lucky stars that the mafia didn't try to kill me considering not one special contacted me after i called my kill.

There was no guard anyway. Kias, you, Vertroue, and kime were the village specials.

kime was a seer, Vertroue could research stats, and Kias could check people's money/bets.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    YAY

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Oh, and for those who would besmirch my reputation- my first and only role PM was as an irish supporter, in case you doubt my word. I just didn't mention I was also mafia :P

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Here's MrT's PM which helped a ton:
    MrTLicious wrote:
    OK, so here's my analysis, since I'm gonna get kicked out and it'd be too good in the mafia's hands, even though they could make it themselves. There's some chance that they haven't, and if you're mafia you've definitely already done this

Confirmed Special: Vertroue

Spain 10. jdarksun
    Netherlands 2. Langly
    Germany 12. Bedlam
    England 4. Cayrus
    Portugal 20. stever777
    Croatia 24. jackisreal
    Italy Kias/Cythraul
    Denmark 19. Capfalcon
    Russia
    Greece 3. daniant/Void Slayer
    France 22. towndrunk34
    Sweden 21. Flarne
    Ireland 23. El Skid/Void Slayer
    Czech 22. towndrunk34
    Ukraine 6. MrTLicious
    Poland 7. KetBra

People not on the list

5. Tayrun
    8. Phyphor
    9. corvidae
    13. romanqwerty
    16. SlyM
    17. kime
    18. sportzboytjw

I PMed kime asking mafia or special, and he said special. Don't know what to make of that.

Void Slayer has posed as either Ireland or Greece, both of which have been posed by someone else. He also claimed the vote was between me and Bedlam, when at the time it was 3 votes for Bedlam, 2 votes for me, and 2 votes for Phyphor. If Void is mafia, look to Phyphor next.

Towndrunk has posed as both France and Czech Republic without anyone else taking those roles.

corvidae has bought vuvuzelas but no tickets until today, when he bought a ticket to the "Spain" game, though the mafia (or vig or someone) killed the spain supporter (jdark) yesterday. Seems like he's trying really hard to blend in.

SLyM seemed to claim to be a regular supporter but was confused when I was talking about the fact that we are the <country_name> supporter. He backed away quickly without following up. He also put a vote on corvidae while he's in no danger.

So those guys are my top 5.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote:
    Oh, also, MrT, great job with that list, it really helped the whole game!

Thanks! When the mafia kept dying I felt like this was the one time I had actually contributed to a Phalla as the village.

• Options
    Oh! Almost forgot.

daniant has achieved her secondary win condition
    Ketbra has achieved his secondary win condition
    Cythraul has achieved his secondary win condition

(those colours are just team colours, not implying Ket was mafia)

• Options
    Yeah, mrt's list was invaluable. He gave it to me and I passed it to jack as well, to circulate.

• Options
    MrTLicious wrote:
    KetBra wrote:
    Oh, also, MrT, great job with that list, it really helped the whole game!

Thanks! When the mafia kept dying I felt like this was the one time I had actually contributed to a Phalla as the village.

I laughed when I saw your list of 5, considering it had 4 of the mafia on it. But of course, that's probably just as much my fault for making it harder for them to hide.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Great job, Akimbo! This phalla was a ton of fun to play!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote:
    Great job, Akimbo! This phalla was a ton of fun to play!

Yes, thanks for running Akimbo. I also had a great time. I wish I had understood the betting mechanism better at the beginning, but that was my fault for not putting the time in to think about how to use it.

• Options
    Mafia proboards go go go

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    Oh, I loved this game. It was nice having romanqwerty do all the work so that I could just sit back and get Greece to win. It was totally worth getting kicked out to achieve my secondary.

The narrations were amazing. I'm so impressed with you, Akimbo. Very cool.

• Options
    Okay I think I opened it up.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Also this is the PM that still had a fair amount of stuff on it. (like me yelling at void for using the cover role I had already claimed)
    -AkimboLegs February 7
    Mafia PM
    You are all part of the secret network planning on match-fixing Euro 2012!

You, SlyM, are Michel Platini - The head of UEFA and the mastermind behind this plot to make billions of euros.
    Power: Can have any supporter thrown out for disorderly behavior (vig).

You, Phyphor, are Jorge Larrionda - The head referee of the tournament, after being recommended by Sepp Blatter following your performance in the 2010 World Cup as someone who is more than willing to overlook obvious decisions for the sake of a paycheque.
    Power: Before refereeing schedules are assigned, they come to you first. You may rearrange them if you desire, however, this requires a lot of paperwork and approval, and can't be kept quiet. You may not break the UEFA rules(ie: nationality clashes). If there is ever a tiebreak in deciding which referee gets cut from the tournament, you have the last say.

You, Void Slayer, are Gianni Infantino - The General Secretary of UEFA, who keeps tabs on all the games and goings on, in order to report back to Michel Platini.
    Power: Choose a team (not a player) - you can research the scores governing a team's attack and defense algorithm.

You corvidae, are Cormac Berry - The Sportsbet CEO, and have aligned yourself with Michel Platini to make all of you rich, by tweaking some odds here and there.
    Power: Changes the odds of a single game played that day, so that he gains 10% of the winnings of anyone who bets and wins. This doesn't take money away from other players, it just generates extra for you. You're very good at this, so no one will ever find out.

Note: I’ve described it as if these powers are unique to your character, but they aren’t, even if you die, the rest of the mafia will still have access to them.

Win Condition: Have your team win the tournament.

Additionally, you may spend €1000 to permanently bribe a referee, who will negate the first goal scored by a team of their choice in any game. This cost doubles every time referees are voted out (so 2000 after group stage, 4000 after QF, 8000 after semifinal). Obviously you would PM this choice to me, whenever you want to make it.

You guys have received this PM before anyone else has theirs. Right now (as soon as you can please!) you select on country. This is the country you are all hoping will win the tournament, and you should try to make it happen! There is one caveat - you cannot choose Spain, the Netherlands, or Germany. The odds on them winning are very high, so you have very little to gain by stacking the tournament. You then have an option - you may convert the player who supports that country into a mafia (this is all happening before I send the non-mafia roles out, remember), and I will add him/her to this mason group. BUT the downside to that, is that if his/her role become known, the village may know which team you are helping win. So it is up to you.

Whenever the nation you are supporting wins a game, you gain an amount of € as if you had bet 500 on them. Odds will become available after you have made your choice :)

-corvidaecorvidae February 7
    How does England sound gents?

-AkimboLegsAkimboLegs February 7
    So I know this is kind of a dick move on my part, since its my fault this is going out so late (work ran later than expected), but since I want to start this tonight, I'm going to ask that this decision be made by 9:00 EST (so, 45 minutes from now). I apologize if you weren't/aren't able to be on in these coming minutes to decide (so it might just be you corvidae), but honestly, it shouldn't make a huge difference in the balance either way - hence why I'm letting you choose instead of making it a set rule :)

I also want to note - there is another advantage in recruiting the player to become a mafia - each supporter has a special power to aid their team.

Arg... I'm hoping someone else chimes in.... Don't want it all on my shoulders....

Is it possible any of them are on IRC? I don't know the info/have mIRC installed, so I can't go look.

-SLyMSLyM February 7
    I like Ireland, Russia, and Denmark.

But I really don't give 2 shits either way.

Ok, hit me.

Team and do you want the extra member?
    If you guys don't want to choose I'll just RNG, and give you the member, and if its imbalanced, you can blame me :)

Ireland works for me also.

-SLyMSLyM February 7
    I'll just fucking say steal one from the netherlands and we'll be denmark because I'm the boss-man and fuck all y'all.

Or Denmark?

SLyMSLyM February 7
    Ireland instead then.

WHATEVER TIMETRAVELING POSTS

SCREW YOU

-SLyMSLyM February 7
    Or I guess we steal one from the normal supporters I need my reading comprehension checked.

the one warning I will throw about Denmark is that they are in the hardest group to qualify out of, let alone win the entire tournament. you will definitely make bank each time they do win, but it will not be easy.

-SLyMSLyM February 7
    Either of the two seem fine, I AM DEFINITELY MAKING THESE POSTS BEFORE CORVIDAE FUCK YOU VANILLA.

Fuuuuuuuucckkkkkkk

yooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..........

So Ireland? I misread posts too! Everything is confusing.

-PhyphorPhyphor February 7
    Sure, Ireland

-SLyMSLyM February 7
    Sure.

Ireland and we're stealing one of their supporters.

This seems to be acceptable by me and I assume corvade?

If not he'll just time travel to a post before me and say otherwise.

Yes. Ireland.

Steal supporter too.

I will stop time travelling now. ( I hope)

-PhyphorPhyphor February 7
    ALL THESE POSTS ARE CONFUSING!

I am adding your new member to this conversation.

You, El Skid, are the Republic of Ireland supporter - Duffers McDuff
    -It’s good to be back at the Euros! You feel a little out of place though, like you haven’t been here in a long time. You know it’s important to get a good start to games, so maybe you’ll help your team do that. Your opponent’s first goal is cancelled out in this game.

Win Condition: See Ireland win the cup, along with your Mafia friends!

That is a one use ability.

Your money is pooled, so you have €5000 right now.
    El+SkidEl Skid February 7
    Well hallo there gents!

And, courtesy of Mr. Jorge Larrionda

Referee Schedule:
    Poland v Greece: Stephane Lannoy (France)
    Russia v Czech: Bjorn Kuipers (Netherlands)

Netherlands v Denmark: Pavel Kralovec (Czech)
    Germany v Portugal: Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain)

Spain v Italy: Howard Webb (England)
    Ireland v Croatia: Wolfgang Stark (Germany)

France v England: Marcin Borski (Poland)
    Ukraine v Sweden: Nicola Rizzoli (Italy)

Unused:
    Nikolai Vladimirovich Ivanov (Russia)
    Pedro Proenca (Portugal)
    Michael Koukoulakis (Greece)
    Claus Bo Larsen (Denmark)
    Ivan Bebek (Croatia)
    Ian Stokes (Ireland)
    Jonas Eriksson (Sweden)
    Viktor Shvetsov (Ukraine)

If you want to move people around, you just need to let me know before the deadline.

We should get a board up....

-SLyMSLyM February 7
    This is going to be a very interesting game.

http://nothockey.proboards.com/index.cgi

will start setting things up in a minute.

phyphor and akimbo are approved.

-SLyMSLyM February 7
    I wish I had seen that list before we picked a team =(
    corvidaecorvidae February 7
    slym you're on board.

-El+SkidEl Skid February 7
    Why would we want a board called "nothockey". I am not okay with this board name :P

Look, you try to think of something witty and misleading.

Not changing it now.

El skid, you are approved as well, but I changed your display name to follow strict no anonymity rules. Your login name is still the same though.

-El+SkidEl Skid February 8
    hmm. I always use that name- I guess its fine if it's changed... except that I can't log in now, it seems. If I try to log in as skiddles I get that Im still pending, and I cant log in as El Skid. Maybe take another look?

-corvidaecorvidae February 8
    hmmm... odd. it says you are pending, but that you are an administrator also. i'm gonna just delete it, could you re-sign up?

sorry for being a pain. i just had a previous game where the game runner took issue with names like that.

-Void+SlayerVoid Slayer February 8
    There is a problem with proboards if the approval process stalls halfway, it stop you from showing up as needing approval. If I remember right you can go in and manually change whether the account is approved or not (active maybe?) in the accounts settings near where you control their rank.

All of this sounds good so far, I don't really care about the team I am here for the $$$.

-Void+SlayerVoid Slayer February 8
    So until i get approved, I will use this chat still, I think we should try to eliminate the high scoring teams as soon as possible, possibly having them face each other early then rig the matches against them as much as possible against teams that are not ours.

I am torn between trying to eliminate one of the more difficult teams first or bribe Germany in order to ensure our team wins.

Who should I research first? Also I plan on buying a snazzy hat so keep some money on the side for that.

-SLyMSLyM February 8
    I'm on yourrrr teammmmm

And I already have a votttteeeee

void, you're onboard, and etc etc....

argh. proboards nonsense....apologies...

Signed up again... I cant use my forum name as-is since there are no spaces allowed on proboards. So ElSkid would like into the party, please!
    corvidaecorvidae February 8
    Got ya, you should be okay now.

Still pending approval :(

Fixed, this time I really really really mean it.

Akimbo, I don't have to PM you that I am using my power for Ireland tonight, right? Cause I am.

I guess this counts if so, but let me know if I need to do it every night.

-SLyMSLyM February 8
    Isn't it one time use?

akimbo should be checking the orders thread on the proboard.

and it is a one time use thing.

Ah okay, I misread that. Saving it for now then.

-SLyMSLyM February 11
    YOU'RE USING MY COVER VOID.

YOU'RE ALREADY DEAD YOU'RE JUST BRINGING ME DOWN WITH YOU

SLyM on
  • Options
    daniant wrote:
    Oh, I loved this game. It was nice having romanqwerty do all the work so that I could just sit back and get Greece to win. It was totally worth getting kicked out to achieve my secondary.

The narrations were amazing. I'm so impressed with you, Akimbo. Very cool.

Originally I was trying to get my copy of InDesign to work so that I could create newspaper articles like they have on the back of the Times or whatever, but alas, it was not to be.

I'm glad they turned out alright in the end!

• Options
    Slym, you killed me on a whim????

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Thanks for running Akimbo! It took me a minute to get the feel for this one, though I respect the amount of work you put in. Not entirely sure how my tracking the money would have helped the village though!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    For reference slym, void didn't bring you down hell he almost made me change off of you by making me think that was an actual role.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Yeah, again sorry about that SLyM, I totally missed your post of cover role.

I did quite bad at covering for being mafia in this game, though the Phyphor thing was just me reading the thread too fast.

Very strange mechanics from the mafia side, but loved the game, thanks akimbolegs!

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Langly, you should be used to getting targeted by now.

• Options
    Kias wrote:
    Thanks for running Akimbo! It took me a minute to get the feel for this one, though I respect the amount of work you put in. Not entirely sure how my tracking the money would have helped the village though!

The mafia had very strange money patterns that, had you hit one of them, it might've set off alarm bells. But it was never designed to be massively powerful.

For reference slym, void didn't bring you down hell he almost made me change off of you by making me think that was an actual role.

It was - Vertroue had the same role, and I figured it was feasible for multiple people to have it, since its not that powerful.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Thanks for running Akimbo!
    I think many people got into the betting and dealing part of the game to the reduction of the phalla portion, I think.
    Still, it was interesting and very different.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    UNITEEEEEEEEEEED! UNITEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

• Options
    corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    sorry peeps, i had some real life issues going around. i couldn't commit, so i just decided to be mafia as hell. especially since we had no good cover roles, considering the one supporter per team thing. after daniant's mechanic heavy no-place-to-hide archer phalla, i was kind of burnt out by mechanic heavy games. i feel bad, as akimbo really delivered in the narrations, and with excessive amounts of info to process, akimbo really had a lot to deal with.

i would have definitely done this one better if i had more time, and what not. i feel that if akimbo does this as a main, it will be excessively awesomely insane.

as an aside, in the beginning pms, i was basically trying to say we should go england, as they are one of the top running football clubs, but instead got swayed to EIRE. the irish upsets were basically neon signs flashing "shenanigans" in the night. the mafia could have hidden better with a higher ranked team.

much props to akimbo, your devotion to the game was top notch.

corvidae on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    The fact that we didn't know your win condition helped but I mostly agree. This game was a hard sell for the mafia. I think was winnable but it would have taken planning and organisation right from the get go to avoid 4 out of the 5 of you getting ousted right away. It was the complacency that really did you in.

I personally dislike games where role calls are illegal. Not because I like them but because games that are susceptible to game-breaking by them tend to have problems anyway due to information proliferating via PM.

Even though the phalla aspect was a little lacking, the betting/ match aspect was fantastic and I think it still made for a fun game.

Well done Akimbo.

• Options
    corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    this was 2 games in a row, where roll call would've broken it. if i'd even known about that, i would've behaved quite differently. also, i didn't want to be the mafia head, and i didn't want to network this time around.....which led to 2 days with no mafia kills.....

• Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    Thanks for running this Akimbo! Really awesome narrations.

I was a little heartbroken after I put my $oul into Croatia and it lost, but at least I lived to see the Final!

• Options
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Langly, you should be used to getting targeted by now.

yeah, but it's the complete randomness of the act that offends me!

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    So who killed me?

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Thanks for running this, Akimbo! The betting was really fun, to the point where I basically forgot this was a phalla not a bookies.

• Options
    Tayrun wrote: »
    Thanks for running this, Akimbo! The betting was really fun, to the point where I basically forgot this was a phalla not a bookies.

yeah, I really liked this aspect of it a lot. I do not think that it was a flaw on your part that I forgot that it was a phalla most of the time.

• Options
    The fact that we didn't know your win condition helped but I mostly agree. This game was a hard sell for the mafia. I think was winnable but it would have taken planning and organisation right from the get go to avoid 4 out of the 5 of you getting ousted right away. It was the complacency that really did you in.

I personally dislike games where role calls are illegal. Not because I like them but because games that are susceptible to game-breaking by them tend to have problems anyway due to information proliferating via PM.

Even though the phalla aspect was a little lacking, the betting/ match aspect was fantastic and I think it still made for a fun game.

Well done Akimbo.

I totally agree. I just didn't think it through hard enough when making roles. Originally it was a 16 player mini, with 4 mafia all posing as supporters, and that probably would've worked better.

But in all honesty, I still think the mafia had the better of it. I feel like none of them quite got into the game, but they still came within inches of winning. Their referee bribing ability was incredibly powerful, and with more tampering they probably could've knocked out 90% of the big names before the quarter finals, and maybe even won it without needing any assistance? It also would've hidden which team they were supporting, since if there were 4-5 bad teams around, it'd be unclear.

I'm glad people enjoyed the betting mechanic so much. I suppose when people have limited time to play, its hard to make sure you're phallaing and enjoying the sidegames. Maybe I'll see if I can tie them into each other better if I do run it again.

• Options
    I can't take all the blame for the kills, if it wasn't for me there wouldn't have been any of them ever.

Jdark was because he was against our team and I wasn't sure if killing him would keep him out of the game.

Langly I killed because it seemed like you knew the which kill was the village vig and which wasn't. It turned out that you actually didn't see that Jdark got killed twice.

• Options
    once bedlam pointed it out early on day three, I realized that is what it was

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Yeah I wasnt ecven sure who the mafia was going to be until roman called his kill.

Wanted to echo that this was a ton of fun. I dont know if there was a lot of PMing but I didnt get to share in it much so having a secondary mechanic is right up my alley. Wish I could have done a bit more betting/manipulating but I was nervous early on and tend to want to see how things work before diving right in.

My only sugestion would be to have had the maifa each as country supporters with maybe two players per team and random selection at 32 players, but it wasnt terrible how it was.

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    So yall the reason why I never said anything when you were voting me day 1 was because I was at a conference, only being able to check the computer around vote close.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    I think I said so in a PM awhile back, but thank you for hosting this! While as a phalla I was more confused about what was actually going on and less connected than I've ever been I think, I had a freaking BLAST with it.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph