As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halkun got boned by the U.S. Healthcare system. [Let's talk about debt!]

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    these threads always make me so grateful i'm not american

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    I once had someone looking over my shoulder as I updated my monthly Debt spreadsheet. At first she couldn't make heads or tails of it, but I explained my system to her, then made a version that suited her needs.

Bitch is going to get out of debt faster than I am partially because of that spreadsheet! I'm both elated and a tad jealous.

At the very least, I recommend an ongoing a line graph, especially if you're trying to pay down your debt but are still using your credit cards. It's a nice little motivator to see that line fall down, and you want to kick yourself in the pants when that line goes up.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    For example, say you're diagnosed with cancer, and you need chemotherapy.

In a perfect world, your healthcare provider would pay the cost for the tests and therapy.

However, if the insurance company can prove that your cancer was developing before you were covered by them, they can argue that they shouldn't have to pay for your expenses, since it's entirely possible you knew about your condition, and you were trying to "steal" money from them to treat the condition. They can also take other, more draconian measures, such as pursuing litigation against the hospital to get a little bit of cash on the side. If they do that, the hospital can refuse to treat you, since it would be "ethically dubious" for them to treat you while your insurance company is trying to sue them. And the insurance company won't pay for it either, because they're suing the hospital on your behalf. So you pretty much get shafted while the lawyers argue over who's responsible for your treatment. Or lack thereof.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    iGpmU.jpg

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Vivixenne wrote:
    okay so can someone break down how insurance in the US works in the simplest terms possible

because here in Australia the system is totally different (and I only really know it now because my student cover expires in a month so I'm doing research)... like, most stuff is covered under Medicare (if you are a resident and regardless of whether or not you are employed) and then you get to pick and choose what extras you want via private health insurance (like ambulance cover, extras in-hospital, dental, optical etc)

if you have a job, work will cover part of the cost of private healthcare, but even if you're not working you can still get private cover if you want it

very little of the private stuff is covered 100% but they will usually end up covering 50% to 75% depending on your plan... it's all very predictable, even before you actually go in and do what needs doing

Unless you are like, poverty poor, or beyond the age of retirement the only insurance option is a private insurance company. (Edit: Forgot joining the military! Or getting put in prison.)This is basically prohibitively expensive unless you get it through your job. Employers are incentivized to offer health insurance through tax credits. If you leave your job you can extend your insurance coverage through a program called COBRA but that is also prohibitively expensive. So basically if you are unemployed, you are fucked.

Hospitals are legally required to treat you if you walk into the emergency room all dripping blood or whatever, but if you don't have some form of insurance (aka a job) you're basically saddled with crippling debt for life. Medical debt is the number one cause of bankruptcies in America, or so I've heard.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    halkun sorry about what's going on with you

You have all my sympathy

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

right?

I'm not even Australian but I'm so glad to know Medicare is available to people here

being that I actually work for the health department now, it's awesome to see people come in and get the help they need because the essential stuff is at least covered

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I am in a weird position where even if I didn't have insurance, I'd be fine

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Very few places in Australia cover private health insurance through work.

• Options
    The most you'll pay in Coinsurance fees over the course of any year is $7,500 per member

The most you'll pay in Coinsurance fees over the course of any year is $5,500 per member

The most you'll pay in out-of-pocket fees over the course of any year is $5,000 per member

The most you'll pay in out-of-pocket fees over the course of any year is $5,000 per member

Corresponding to those options in the above image.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote:
    img

don't you get free health care for life through the VA?

sig.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    vets should have tricare for life

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote:
    CreditKarma.com is a legit site for getting your score, but not a complete report. I've been using it for years without any detriment to my accounts.

It has some neat features like a simulator to see what actions you can take to improve or harm your score.

For example, before when I didn't have as much debt on my cards, paying them all off would have actually lowered my score a few points versus keeping a small running balance.

good to know, I get nervous about giving out my information

They're able to provide it free because while giving you the score and analysis tools, they're also shilling for cards that can 'help' you, which they may or may not be able to do. Some offer 0% on balance transfers, others are cards with bonus points or a reward system for stuff people use or buy regularly (groceries, gas, etc.)

For example, my Amazon Rewards card gets me points for every dollar I spend at Amazon, that I can save and then apply toward purchases. My Amex Blue card does the same.

With such cards, a smart move is to put recurring bills (car insurance, phone bill, electricity bill, etc) on them and just make sure you pay it off by the end of the month. Your bills get paid, and you earn points on your card while doing so.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    Weaver wrote:
    img

Keep in mind that the VA is government financed, and they're always doing whatever they can to cut costs.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    CreditKarma.com is a legit site for getting your score, but not a complete report. I've been using it for years without any detriment to my accounts.

It has some neat features like a simulator to see what actions you can take to improve or harm your score.

For example, before when I didn't have as much debt on my cards, paying them all off would have actually lowered my score a few points versus keeping a small running balance.

good to know, I get nervous about giving out my information

They're able to provide it free because while giving you the score and analysis tools, they're also shilling for cards that can 'help' you, which they may or may not be able to do. Some offer 0% on balance transfers, others are cards with bonus points or a reward system for stuff people use or buy regularly (groceries, gas, etc.)

For example, my Amazon Rewards card gets me points for every dollar I spend at Amazon, that I can save and then apply toward purchases. My Amex Blue card does the same.

With such cards, a smart move is to put recurring bills (car insurance, phone bill, electricity bill, etc) on them and just make sure you pay it off by the end of the month. Your bills get paid, and you earn points on your card while doing so.

thanks. I have one credit card that I don't ever carry a balance on - I mostly put incidentals on it and pay it off every month.

however as previously mentioned I have hideous amounts of student loan debt! apparently my credit score is 734.

• Options

Things are improving, slowly at least.

Our healthcare reform bill got neutered thanks to a couple of assholes in the government, but it's a damn sight better than what we have now.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Weaver wrote:
    iGpmU.jpg

See like, those numbers are good and all... but they don't actually tell you what you're getting.

Private health cover in Australia can cost anywhere from $20 a month to $200 a month... it just depends on what kind of cover you want (above and beyond what is covered via Medicare).

For those curious:

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Blake T wrote:

I thought you said you got cover through work? Unless you're an outlier.

• Options

Our healthcare reform bill got neutered thanks to a couple of assholes in the government, but it's a damn sight better than what we have now.

A couple?

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    okay so can someone break down how insurance in the US works in the simplest terms possible

because here in Australia the system is totally different (and I only really know it now because my student cover expires in a month so I'm doing research)... like, most stuff is covered under Medicare (if you are a resident and regardless of whether or not you are employed) and then you get to pick and choose what extras you want via private health insurance (like ambulance cover, extras in-hospital, dental, optical etc)

if you have a job, work will cover part of the cost of private healthcare, but even if you're not working you can still get private cover if you want it

very little of the private stuff is covered 100% but they will usually end up covering 50% to 75% depending on your plan... it's all very predictable, even before you actually go in and do what needs doing

It varies from state to state, first off, so here's what I know about Texas, though my knowledge is far from complete.

Most people get their insurance through a group plan through their employer. Usually you have a couple of options (higher deductibles, added dental or vision, adding your spouse and children). If you're extremely poor or pregnant, you can get on a state-funded plan.

As to what the insurance company will pay: after you reach your deductible, the company will pay a certain percentage of your bill depending on what the procedure is. The percentages are different depending on the company and the plan you picked. Often times there are yearly or lifetime maximums that they'll pay, so anything over that maximum comes out of your pocket.

If you don't have insurance because your employer doesn't offer it (an in my case) or you're unemployed or you just choose for some reason not to get it through your employer? You can buy private, which is usually quite costly. Or you can just go without and pray that you don't get into a car wreck because everything's coming out of your pocket. An Emergency Room can't turn your away in an emergency situation (read: life threatening), but they are only obligated to stabilize you, then refer you to someone who can heal you completely. They'll send you a bill, and you'll pay that forever until you're dead.

And THEN there's HSA (health savings accounts), which are fairly new and a tad more complicated, but better for many people in the long run.

Short answer: I dunno lol

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    yeah thanks to healthcare reform I can stay on my dad's insurance until I'm 26 (two more years), which is nice because he has great insurance.

• Options
    Tossrock wrote:
    Weaver wrote:
    img

Not really, no. It's really weird. I can get an eye exam and free pair glasses once a year, but there's always something like a two month backlog. I can go to their ER, since I live in the same city as the regional hospital, but the minimum wait is roughly 8 hours, and they want to drug test you all the time because of how many homeless Vietnam/Gulf era vets use the place as a home. Prescription filling takes, no joking, another 4-8 hours. There is no dental. There is no minor/urgent care. Either you are dying or fuck off.

• Options
    Smart Hero wrote:

A couple?

Okay, several assholes, but a couple were much larger than the rest of the bunch.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options

however as previously mentioned I have hideous amounts of student loan debt! apparently my credit score is 734.

I'm pretty sure student loan debt isn't too bad looking as long as you're paying on time.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Tossrock wrote:
    If you leave your job you can extend your insurance coverage through a program called COBRA.

That makes me think of this

1104782_f248.jpg

but the snakes are like this

CobraCom.jpg

That is badass insurance coverage.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    Vivixenne wrote:

Unless you are like, poverty poor, or beyond the age of retirement the only insurance option is a private insurance company. This is basically prohibitively expensive unless you get it through your job. Employers are incentivized to offer health insurance through tax credits. If you leave your job you can extend your insurance coverage through a program called COBRA but that is also prohibitively expensive. So basically if you are unemployed, you are fucked.

Hospitals are legally required to treat you if you walk into the emergency room all dripping blood or whatever, but if you don't have some form of insurance (aka a job) you're basically saddled with crippling debt for life. Medical debt is the number one cause of bankruptcies in America, or so I've heard.

Viv, this is a much better explanation than RMED's "explanation". It gets even more complicated than that though because some plans may require certain procedures be certified in advance as medically necessary (this is typically done for procedures that are statistically overutilized when a less expensive procedure may be the best option) for it to be covered. And then there's the whole issue of pre-existing conditions. These are just a couple of examples, but it can easily get more complicated.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HambrabaiHambrabai Registered User regular
    halkun wrote:
    Well, what an adventure.... For those who don't remember, I was practically tweeting my operation. The final bill is in. For those who want to know. I hid it under the spoiler.
    $19,842.78

Now, here comes the fun part. Looking at my insurance claims, I have found, they are willing to cover...
    $13.18

So, let's talk about shitty insurance :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of the United States Healthcare system! It can be frankly amazing the amount of money they can pile onto a hospital bill and due to the spiderweb of agencies in a lot of hospitals they can 'lose' bills and expenses incredibly easy. A couple years ago I was in the hospital for two days, no surgery or anything, just emergency room crap and enough radiation to light me up like a Christmas Tree and I got the joy of receiving a literal stack of assorted bills, including one for 13.25 for a single bottle of Ibuprofen. Fast forward a couple years and a bill scuttle to my door from a doctor I've never heard of, turns out he was the doctor on the emergency floor that night and they'd lost his chunk of the billing when they re-organized the account management system and only found it two years later.
    I even managed to get a bill from beyond the grave once, my childhood doctor died when I was about 13 (great old guy, but about 90 years old) and it was assumed all bills and such got sorted out. Time rolls by, his office is first a car dealership and eventually a parking lot for the main hospital and out of the blue sails an absolutely colossal bill from my old doctor. Turns out a collection agency decided to root around his old billing info and tried to pin some already cleared bills on me, needless to say I was less than pleased.

There is always hope though, insurance companies can be amazingly strange and flaky and I've had bills covered by insurance after some careful explanation from a doctor or other professional. And if all fails most Hospitals will bend over backwards to when it comes to bills, because if they didn't my folks wouldn't be paying off their half a million dollar hospital bill for the next 8000 years.

• Options
    Margarazzi wrote:

I'm pretty sure student loan debt isn't too bad looking as long as you're paying on time.

I'm not paying yet, still in school and still accruing debt. hooraaaay

• Options
    !AmericanHealthcareSystem

If you don't have insurance and you get diagnosed with something, once you DO finally get insurance, the insurance company doesn't have to pay for treatments of said condition for a period of time (often two years). It comes out of your pocket until your pre-existing condition wait time is over.

Unless that's been changed in reform. It's hard to keep up.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    I'm actually still legally married because my ex thinks that I can just bill the VA like a pri
    Hambrabai wrote:
    halkun wrote:
    Well, what an adventure.... For those who don't remember, I was practically tweeting my operation. The final bill is in. For those who want to know. I hid it under the spoiler.
    $19,842.78

Now, here comes the fun part. Looking at my insurance claims, I have found, they are willing to cover...
    $13.18

So, let's talk about shitty insurance :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of the United States Healthcare system! It can be frankly amazing the amount of money they can pile onto a hospital bill and due to the spiderweb of agencies in a lot of hospitals they can 'lose' bills and expenses incredibly easy. A couple years ago I was in the hospital for two days, no surgery or anything, just emergency room crap and enough radiation to light me up like a Christmas Tree and I got the joy of receiving a literal stack of assorted bills, including one for 13.25 for a single bottle of Ibuprofen. Fast forward a couple years and a bill scuttle to my door from a doctor I've never heard of, turns out he was the doctor on the emergency floor that night and they'd lost his chunk of the billing when they re-organized the account management system and only found it two years later.
    I even managed to get a bill from beyond the grave once, my childhood doctor died when I was about 13 (great old guy, but about 90 years old) and it was assumed all bills and such got sorted out. Time rolls by, his office is first a car dealership and eventually a parking lot for the main hospital and out of the blue sails an absolutely colossal bill from my old doctor. Turns out a collection agency decided to root around his old billing info and tried to pin some already cleared bills on me, needless to say I was less than pleased.

There is always hope though, insurance companies can be amazingly strange and flaky and I've had bills covered by insurance after some careful explanation from a doctor or other professional. And if all fails most Hospitals will bend over backwards to when it comes to bills, because if they didn't my folks wouldn't be paying off their half a million dollar hospital bill for the next 8000 years.

That collections firms can buy old data and ding your credit reports for bills that you've already paid, and put the burden of proof on you, is absolute bullshit.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Also those prices in the image I posted a little while back, same company, a few years ago, the prices were tripled.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

I thought you said you got cover through work? Unless you're an outlier.

Nope.

I think I pay around 450 annually. And it's a pretty povo plan. It covers dental, sporting injuries and general accidents rather than cancer and stuff.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Sorry, bi-annually.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

there just seems to be this whole political movement dedicated to making sure that the government never tries to help people!

like our politicians are assholes too but at least they aren't opposed to the very concept of government on an ideological level

• Options
    My grandfather got a heart transplant and lived for 16 years with his heart (he was told he'd live probably 8 years max, but he was made of tough tough stuff and he had the most excellent doctors watching over him all those years).

It's great that he lived a long time, but the drugs and ongoing complications with an organ transplant meant that when he died, his outstanding bills totaled a huge number. I was never told the actual amount, but I know the word "millions" has been thrown around.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I am in the black

I have $0 but it is all mine

for now

• Options
    Re: VA healthcare

My dad worked with nuclear artillery shells for four years in West Germany, right up until the USSR collapsed and Germany unified.

For years now he's been developing skin cancer on his face and having the spots removed at the Houston VA hospital. He filed to have the skin cancer classified as service connected because of the radiation exposure.

The Houston VA hospital will not longer treat him for skin cancer and instead sends him to a horribly equipped outlying clinic.

• Options
    Yeah, student loan debt tends to be considered one of the 'good' kinds of debt. Car payments can be, too.

The biggest ding against my score right now is over-utilization, or, carrying rather high balances on the cards I have.

Some of the numbers on CreditKarma's 'Credit Report Card' feature are misleading. For example, I have a 'D' in one category because I don't have enough various lines of credit open and active. To get an 'A' you have to have close to 20 lines of different credit (credit cards, loans, mortgages, etc) open and active, which is nuts.

Lady SH's dad has a score somewhere in the 800 range because they tended to live well below their means and his wife handled all the finances and made sure everything was paid down consistently and regularly for over 30 years. They walked into a car dealership once and the salesman said he had never seen such a high score in his entire career.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The real trick with insurance is to never let it lapse.

Halkun let it lapse and pretty badly it seems. This situation sounds like it was avoidable if he had done what he was supposed to.

:whistle:

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Margarazzi wrote:

I'm not paying yet, still in school and still accruing debt. hooraaaay

Oh, I remember the days. I'm watching my sister go through it now; she's attending the same university I did. I was very lucky to have finished my studies before the prices at the University absolutely sky rocketed. I feel bad for you people still in school or who have yet to begin. It's a different battleground than it was even 5 years ago.

EyQGd.jpg