Options

Through the Ages Learning Game Discussion Thread

13»

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Stuff like this is why we run games to practice murdering you...

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    You can't prove I'm the one who put that Ravages of Time in the deck.
    <3

• Options
    edited February 2012
    And now we see one of the possible responses to a declaration of war: Tayrun was looking at a 24 point military deficit to GoodOmens with a War on Culture looming and he decided to go ahead and resign the game rather than let GoodOmens pick up the culture boost.

tta18summary.png

With the war successful, GoodOmens stood to pick up 24 culture, getting him into range of my culture score pending the final Impacts. Tayrun himself was about to get his 24 culture right back by completing the Internet wonder and he's played half the current Impacts, so they are likely to be good for him. Not sure why Tayrun decided to resign; seems to me even with the war loss he's still in a good position in the game to pick up first or second.

edit: Actually, I've played a couple of Impacts as well. Didn't remember that at first; fixed my comment above.

Darian on
  • Options
    As we approach the end of the game, you should check out the list of Impacts in the Civilopedia (under the Play menu) if you aren't familiar with them. By watching what the other players are doing, you can sometimes make an educated guess as to which bonuses they put into play, which can help you decide just how to spend your last actions/resources.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Trying to read what impacts have been played is something I should probably get better at. Considering how game changing the impacts usually are, it's probably one of the most important things. I think I'm pretty terrible at figuring out my opponents' thoughts in general though, across all games. Also, learning how to play impacts that are better for me than other players wouuld be great.

I'm suddenly in four different games, holy shit. In other news, the "next game" button is pretty neat.

• Options
    I see Tayrun has found a new player. Also, I found this:
    Wherein we practice to better kill Darian
    I see how it is.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Cheese it! We've been rumbled!

Tayrun on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    Darian wrote: »
    Use most of my actions on the penultimate turn to grab First Space Flight, just so that GoodOmens won't get to build it.

Yeah, I got your rocket RIGHT HERE!

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Yeah I noticed people taking cards to deny them others once or twice.

Why exactly did Tayrun's military reduce so drastically? Was it guilt at being the Dark One?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Never! It was being unwilling to let Darian wreck my lead again. So naturally then someone else did.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, he chose to sacrifice a bunch of units to stop an aggression, then GoodOmens hit him with a war the next time around.
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Darian wrote: »
    Use most of my actions on the penultimate turn to grab First Space Flight, just so that GoodOmens won't get to build it.
    Yeah, I got your rocket RIGHT HERE!
    And I've got a couple of +6 defense cards with your name on them. No culture for you.

Darian on
  • Options
    Yeah. My thinking was that with me having played Ghandi and there being just a turn or two left, I'd have to be pretty unlucky to get devastated.

Which happens. *sigh*

• Options
    On my final turn, I had Tech and Progress seeded myself; couldn't do anything toward Progress, but I made sure to pick up the two new techs I could research. Trying to guess what else had been played into the deck, I was hoping for Science (and had the lead there) and then guessed Happiness for the last one, so I built an organized religion to prepare for that possibility. Turned out to be Architecture instead, so I picked up about as many points as I could have there.

WINNER IS DARIAN AS GREY (160 PTS)
    2nd is GoodOmens as Green (112 pts)
    3rd is poshniallo as Purple (92 pts)
    4th is Tayrun as Orange (resigned)

Running the numbers for Tayrun, assuming he dumps all his resources into the Internet and researches whatever:
    + 12 on his turn
    -24 for the war
    +24 for the Internet
    -14 from interventions in the final round (with an extra +7 to GoodOmens)
    +12 for Architecture
    +8 for Progress (or more from final research)
    +15 for Science (or 10 if I caught him, but I doubt I would)
    +8-16 for Tech (depends on how many more techs he researched his final turn)

For a grand total of 122-130, good for second place if he hadn't resigned.

• Options
    First place or no place, yo.

• Options
    So, rematch?

Anyone else from CF interested? I've gotten a little obsessed with this game.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Tayrun wrote: »
    So, rematch?

I'm up for it. I am curious to see how badly I might do when you guys aren't going easy on me.

Actually, that game was my worst yet, not just in terms of points but in terms of the number of times I thought 'what the fuck did I just do?'

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Tayrun wrote: »
    So, rematch?

I'll play again, but will also happily step aside if a new player wants in.