As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jak and Daxter] - Let's talk about ottsels

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Glal wrote:
    It's not so much "rarr, everything must be realistic" as it is "eh, no one really felt like doing a light-hearted, wacky comedy game". Which is fair enough, beats getting a half-hearted game. Personally I remain hopeful the zombie game will have been enough grimdark serious business to go back to something lighter for the next game (although from the sound of it none of the original developers were really on that team anyway, which was part of the problem).

Half that (the bolded bit) and half "we've put a crapload of time, effort and money into our current engine, animation system and mocap studio, why would we start from scratch?"

Also, Last of Us isn't a zombie game. Yeah there are the fungus zombies in it but there's just as much of a focus on raiders and the like.

Which are a frequent hallmark of zombie movies/tv shows/games. :P

I don't think it's a matter of them being lazy, I think it's a matter of them buying into the thought that cartoony games don't sell on the PS3. Which, given the utter shit sales of Rayman Origins, could be right.

Now I've made myself depressed.
    Lazy? What exactly about what I said was lazy? It's nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with efficiency. It'd be stupid to build up all their resources and then throw them away to make a completely different game. That's why Japanese developers are struggling so much, because they've been doing up until very recently.

And no, the mere existence of zombies does not suddenly make something a zombie game. Would you call Fallout 3 and NV zombie games? No, they're post-apocalyptic RPGs. Hell, Uncharted 1 had fast zombies and Mass Effect had techno-zombies, so are they zombie games?

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Glal wrote:
    It's not so much "rarr, everything must be realistic" as it is "eh, no one really felt like doing a light-hearted, wacky comedy game". Which is fair enough, beats getting a half-hearted game. Personally I remain hopeful the zombie game will have been enough grimdark serious business to go back to something lighter for the next game (although from the sound of it none of the original developers were really on that team anyway, which was part of the problem).

Half that (the bolded bit) and half "we've put a crapload of time, effort and money into our current engine, animation system and mocap studio, why would we start from scratch?"

Also, Last of Us isn't a zombie game. Yeah there are the fungus zombies in it but there's just as much of a focus on raiders and the like.

I don't think it's a matter of them being lazy, I think it's a matter of them buying into the thought that cartoony games don't sell on the PS3. Which, given the utter shit sales of Rayman Origins, could be right.

Lazy? What exactly about what I said was lazy? It's nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with efficiency. It'd be stupid to build up all their resources and then throw them away to make a completely different game. That's why Japanese developers are struggling so much, because they've been doing up until very recently.

And no, the mere existence of zombies does not suddenly make something a zombie game. Would you call Fallout 3 and NV zombie games? No, they're post-apocalyptic RPGs. Hell, Uncharted 1 had fast zombies and Mass Effect had techno-zombies, so are they zombie games?

I think it's a certain... focus. The why behind the whole mess your heroes are in.

Fallout, the big thing is The Bomb. It created zombies along with the giant ants, but the zeds aren't the big issue. Or the second biggest. Or... you get the idea. Even then, most of the zombie looking people are just... people. With horrible skin conditions.

Mass Effect, the big issue is Space Cthulhu. They happen to create zombies along with all their other bastardry, but zombies are less common than robots and regular assholes with guns.

And Doom, it's demons from capital H Hell. That they're reanimating the dead seems a minor sidenote.

The Last of Us, the fungus zombies seem to be the source of the whole wide world going to shit. The raiders are a consequence. Even if it's not the zombieness of the fungus that was the problem, the zeds look like the main physical manifestation of the enemy.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I've always been more of a Ratchet and Clank fellow myself.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    iammattpleeveeiammattpleevee Registered User regular
    I played through the first 2 but never really got into Jak 3, I got sick of all the driving if i remember correctly.

SteamID iammattpleevee@aol.com
    Battle.net: Matt 3999 or iammattpleevee@gmail.com
    PSN?: iammattpleevee
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well, the other half is more like quarter, it's not like you need a different engine to change the art style from realistic to cartoony and colourful. I mean, these games use the same engine, after all:
    gow2.jpg
    tera.jpg
    borderlands.jpg

I can see the mocap being wasted a bit, though I don't think a J&D game whose only "crime" was more realistic movement (that still kept the charm and gameplay of the series) due to mocap would have been a problem either. From it sound of it, the tonal and content changes were the main problems, rather than tech.

Glal on
  • Options
    Glal wrote:
    Well, the other half is more like quarter, it's not like you need a different engine to change the art style from realistic to cartoony and colourful. I mean, these games use the same engine, after all:
    snip snip snip

I can see the mocap being wasted a bit, though I don't think a J&D game whose only "crime" was more realistic movement (that still kept the charm and gameplay of the series) due to mocap would have been a problem either. From it sound of it, the tonal and content changes were the main problems, rather than tech.

UE3 is a pretty bad example, seeing as it was designed from the very beginning to be highly customisable. Most game engines though, are built for one specific type of game and don't really work so well with dramatic changes. A pretty good example of this is MGS3. They were originally going to use the MGS2 engine (there's even some prototype videos that've leaked) but as it didn't handle outdoor environments that well, they instead decided to make an entirely new engine for it. I have no idea how versatile Naughty Dog's engine is but there's a good chance a cartoony game would've required them to make some pretty significant changes to the engine just to get it to their standards (which are obviously much higher than Insomniac's).

And I really doubt they'd want to mocap if they made a cartoony J&D game. I can't imagine that or their animation system would work out terribly well in that sort of game.

chiasaur11: I disagree. I think it should depend more on how important they are to the game. If it's nothing but zombies throughout the game, like RE or L4D then yeah, it's a zombie game. If zombies are just a part of the experience though, like Fallout, then I wouldn't really consider it a zombie game. Last of Us falls into the second category, as looters and the military apparently play pretty large parts in the game, so I'd just call it a post apocalyptic game.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The jak series wasnt bad, I always saw it as the not quite as good cousin of ratchet and clank, especially with insomniac and naughty dog at the time obviously working together/friendly competing with each other.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Didn't Insomniac get the Jak & Daxter engine to make Ratchet & Clank (though R&C used space flight sequences instead of slow doors to mask loading times)? Heck, I think they might have done the same thing with Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.

If I remember right, I got 100% on the first three Jak games but never played any of the ones after Jak 3. I remember being rather disappointed with Jak 3's ending, though.
    No, not the Precursor reveal, that was fine (aside from creating a plot hole about the Precursor Egg that was the central focus of Jak II), but pretty much everything after that seemed a little rushed and meh.

Also disappointed we never saw the two bosses from the first game again, since the last we saw them they fell into the Eco. Unless they showed up in one of the handheld games or something.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    The thing that bothers me is that the collection should have twice as many games in it as it does. Jak X was fun, and as a Jak fan with a PS3 that doesn't do back-compat it's a big hole. It also seems like Last Frontier belongs on there (which I have never played) - hell they ported it to the PS2, why isn't it in this? Daxter would be cool, and PSP games can be ported to the PS3 (the recent GoW portable collection shows this).

I just don't get why you'd go to the trouble of creating a franchise collection and then ignore half of it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    ...but there's a good chance a cartoony game would've required them to make some pretty significant changes to the engine just to get it to their standards (which are obviously much higher than Insomniac's).
    Staunch disagreement that art design has anything whatsoever to do with engine aside, the heck was that Insomniac dig for?

Lars wrote:
    Didn't Insomniac get the Jak & Daxter engine to make Ratchet & Clank (though R&C used space flight sequences instead of slow doors to mask loading times)?
    Yeah, the two studios are good friends and when Insomniac were having problems transitioning their engine to the PS2 Naughty Dog effectively handed them their engine and we got Ratchet&Clank out of it. It's also why many of their games have references to the other series hidden in them.

Glal on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I've always been more of a Ratchet and Clank fellow myself.

Me too, but i'll be giving this a fair shake. I'm tempted to go grab this today along with Rhythm heaven....my impulsiveness is kicking in. D:

Did they ever changed Daxter back in the series?

I kind of hope they release another collection vol 2 like they did GOW with the other Jak games, so we can have the whole series collected.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Glal wrote:

Well, you were the one who implied that the only reason they couldn't do a cartoony game is because of the effort involved, when the more likely reason is the perception that cartoony games don't do well.

And considering the promo for the game (the thing that will give your audience the first and strongest impression of the game to come) prominently featured the fungus zombies and pretty much nothing else, I think it's safe to call it a zombie game.

Before you say "but... raiders!" keep in mind that zombie movies are pretty much always about how the humans deal with the zombies, rather than the zombies themselves. Go read/watch The Walking Dead... much of the time the zombies aren't as big of a threat as the humans are.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    So I got this on impulse. HD is pretty legit so far. Gonna start from the first game.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Well, you were the one who implied that the only reason they couldn't do a cartoony game is because of the effort involved, when the more likely reason is the perception that cartoony games don't do well.

And considering the promo for the game (the thing that will give your audience the first and strongest impression of the game to come) prominently featured the fungus zombies and pretty much nothing else, I think it's safe to call it a zombie game.

Before you say "but... raiders!" keep in mind that zombie movies are pretty much always about how the humans deal with the zombies, rather than the zombies themselves. Go read/watch The Walking Dead... much of the time the zombies aren't as big of a threat as the humans are.

I didn't imply that at all. God. I said that they'd spent a ton of money building building their engine, animation system and internal mocap studio and implied that putting that to waste was not an option. Only a fool would consider awful business practices like that lazy.

As for the trailer, uh it started off with a raider and ended with the zombies, so I'm not really seeing your point at all. And everything they've talked about since has involved either the military or raiders. At that point I think it stops being a 'zombie' game and leans more towards a 'post apocalyptic' game.

I've watched Walking Dead (I'll get around to the comic at some point) and I wouldn't consider Season 2 a zombie show either.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote:

I didn't imply that at all. God. I said that they'd spent a ton of money building building their engine, animation system and internal mocap studio and implied that putting that to waste was not an option. Only a fool would consider awful business practices like that lazy.

As for the trailer, uh it started off with a raider and ended with the zombies, so I'm not really seeing your point at all. And everything they've talked about since has involved either the military or raiders. At that point I think it stops being a 'zombie' game and leans more towards a 'post apocalyptic' game.

I've watched Walking Dead (I'll get around to the comic at some point) and I wouldn't consider Season 2 a zombie show either.

Except the thought that they'd have to go to all that effort just to make something non-realistic is based on a faulty assumption, which the other people in this thread pointed out.

So... The Walking Dead isn't a zombie show? Even though it's named after the zombies? Well, by that definition, there hasn't been a zombie movie/game/comic ever made due to all the drama with those pesky humans.

Seriously. The game is set in a world of fungus zombies. They pretty much drive the plot.

By the way... I never actually put a value judgement on "zombie game" so I'm a little confused as to why you're putting so much effort into denying it. :P

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    So, uh, Jak & Daxter is pretty fun. I've 100% completed every area up to the zoomer mountain pass level.

• Options
    Damn you Europe, why do you always have to delay crap...

• Options
    AH, FUCK TIMED MISSIONS! I HATE TIMED MISSIONS IN JAK 2!!!

IT WOULDN'T BE SO BAD IF IT WEREN'T FOR THESE FUCKING GUARDS BLOWING MY VEHICLE UP! FUCK!!!

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

IT WOULDN'T BE SO BAD IF IT WEREN'T FOR THESE FUCKING GUARDS BLOWING MY VEHICLE UP! FUCK!!!

Hahahah yeah. That's the Jak II I remember. Enjoying those floaty controls much?

• Options
    Namrok wrote:

Hahahah yeah. That's the Jak II I remember. Enjoying those floaty controls much?

*Sigh* Just had to vent. It's still a good game, but fuck these damned vehicle missions. As much as I hate Vehicle combat, at least Jak III gave you a proper way to defend yourself while driving.

My only other complaint is the lack of good check-points. Nothing's worse than dying the last minute and having to do a whole mission all over again. GRRRRR...

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Never played any of the Jak & Daxter series due to lack of a PS2.

Though I played Daxter, which was fun. Is the other PSP J&D game any good?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Not compared to the other Jak and Daxter games. So... maybe?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

The consensus seems to be more or less "meh" from what I've heard.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote:

*Sigh* Just had to vent. It's still a good game, but fuck these damned vehicle missions. As much as I hate Vehicle combat, at least Jak III gave you a proper way to defend yourself while driving.

My only other complaint is the lack of good check-points. Nothing's worse than dying the last minute and having to do a whole mission all over again. GRRRRR...

I might just be spoiled by modern game design, but I have absolutely zero tolerance for things like that. I forget if Jak II suffered the even worse grievance of not letting you quickly restart a mission when you fail. I have vague memories of having to slowly walk all over creation just to restart a mission I failed. I think I spent longer hoofing it to the quest giver again than I spent attempting certain missions.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    The Lost Frontier is garbage. Seriously.

• Options
    Jak & Daxter 100% complete! That makes it my first platinum trophy, too.

• Options
    The Sly Collection was very easy to get 100% on all games too.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

I beat Jak and Daxter just a year or two ago and loved it. I didn't have a PS2 back then either. I admit I was a Xbox fanboy, and pretty obsessed with Halo so I didn't pay much attention to platformers, despite my love for them.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    The Sly Collection was very easy to get 100% on all games too.

They were overly nice to us on Sly 1. Those master thief sprints are freaking hard, but luckily there are no trophies (or only 1 easy one, I can't remember) attached to them.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    Beating Jak 2 is probably one of my "all time gaming achievements" as lame as that sounds. Just an unforgiving bastard hard game that never the less understood the art of a great set piece.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    I loved the first game.

Never played the sequels because I was boycotting the terrible trend of adding generic rage to main heroes that was going on at the time.

Fortunately, Ratchet was there to comfort me and tell me everything was going to be ok.

Deadlocked.jpg

Finally have a full weekend off so looking forward to attempting to 100% J&D

Can you 100% every area as you come across it, or will some power cells require things you don't have yet and make you come back later?

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There are certain areas you won't be able to access right away, but I'm pretty sure once you reach an area you can get all the power cells there right away.

There aren't really any abilities you need to unlock. You pretty much get everything from the start.

anoffday on
  • Options
    You need to unlock the blue eco vents (via a switch in the jungle) before getting everything at the beach. You also need to unlock the yellow eco vents (via a switch in the snow area) before getting everything in the mountain pass and the spider caves. I'm not sure, but you might also need to knock over the flut-flut egg at the beach before you can use the flut-flut in the swamp and snow area.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Except the thought that they'd have to go to all that effort just to make something non-realistic is based on a faulty assumption, which the other people in this thread pointed out.
    I wasn't saying it'd be impossible to modify it to run their engine to run, I was implying that it'd take more effort than it was probably worth (overlapping with your own point, though I'd say that both cartoony AND platforming games don't do that well at the moment). The animation system and mocap studio though, I still think that would go completely to waste with a cartoony platforming game but I could be underestimating ND by thinking that.

As for the other stuff, I'll answer you in a PM because I don't want to crap the thread up.

Anyway, a question for someone that has the Collection. How are the ports? I've heard of all the problems but I assume they still hold up?

• Options
    I thought R&C games always sold well? They're both cartoony and action platformers.

• Options
    They tended to sell decently but not great. The trend that went back to even their PS2 installments was that they'd sell more copies when they hit Greatest Hits/Platinum status than they would when they were new. But if we're comparing those sales to an Uncharted or even Resistance, they paled in comparison. The latest installment, All 4 One was a pretty big bomb, so hopefully that doesn't kill the series.

• Options
    That'd make me a sad panda, it's one of my favourite game series. :(

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I wasn't saying it'd be impossible to modify it to run their engine to run, I was implying that it'd take more effort than it was probably worth (overlapping with your own point, though I'd say that both cartoony AND platforming games don't do that well at the moment). The animation system and mocap studio though, I still think that would go completely to waste with a cartoony platforming game but I could be underestimating ND by thinking that.

You do know that Naughty Dog makes more than one game at a time, right? It wouldn't go to waste at all.

Actually sales figures for the Jak and Ratchet games are hard to come by, but according to Wikipedia's list of best-selling game franchises, Jak games are at 7.5 million, while Ratchet games are at 25 million. Unfortunately both sources for those figures are dead at the moment.

Deadlocked. Blagh. I had forgotten about that game. I wouldn't cry too many tears if it wasn't included in a Ratchet and Clank collection... and, given the game's heavy multiplayer focus, it might be deemed more effort than it's worth to get the game's multiplayer up and running again.

• Options
    They tended to sell decently but not great. The trend that went back to even their PS2 installments was that they'd sell more copies when they hit Greatest Hits/Platinum status than they would when they were new. But if we're comparing those sales to an Uncharted or even Resistance, they paled in comparison. The latest installment, All 4 One was a pretty big bomb, so hopefully that doesn't kill the series.

Does All 4 One have single player? I always got the impression that it was multiplayer only. Maybe that's why it didn't do well?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote:

Does All 4 One have single player? I always got the impression that it was multiplayer only. Maybe that's why it didn't do well?

There's always 4 characters, I believe (haven't played it myself), but when playing alone the other characters are computer controlled.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA