As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rumble is Next-Gen again!

13»

• Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    i'm pretty sure sony's excuse wasn't that they simply couldn't do rumble and tilt before but that it would be too cost prohibitive

bongi on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bring the rumble, fuck the early adopters, I warned them.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Wonder how Sony will spin this, since they said it was impossible because of the tilt control.

Ah, they make it so hard to like them, don't they?

Phil Harrison: "I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game designers and developers far more opportunity for future innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that."

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157501

:D

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Miller wrote: »
    Who cares about PR spin; better late than never.

And free [SIXAXIS 2] for early adopters.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure sony's excuse wasn't that they simply couldn't do rumble and tilt before but that it would be too cost prohibitive

They've said both, depending on who was speaking at the time

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If they made a replacement for the controllers (since I think it is not impossible to just dismantle them and make new ones with rumble) then they would basically be in the clear with the gaming crowd. I can't see it happening though, they're losing enough money as it is, another kick in the already swollen balls is not in their plans.

Stop this war shit, it's getting tiring. I can finally understand the place on which Phil Harrison stands. The gaming crowd will think whatever they want and still buy it, it's the casual that's important. Naturally, Phil still tries to swoon gamers over to the PS3, but he doesn't go out of his way to kiss us in the ass.

You will buy it eventually if you see stuff that makes it worth the purchase.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    Lanz wrote: »

They've said both, depending on who was speaking at the time

why does that not surprise me

bongi on
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have to say, I'm surprised at how positive everyone is about this. It just means another $50+ charge for any poor soul that decided they would be an early adopter. It's senseless, really. This litigation should have been resolved years before the PS3 even launched, not less than 6 months AFTER.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    it doesn't "just mean an extra charge", it means rumble in ps3 games

bongi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    it doesn't "just mean an extra charge", it means rumble in ps3 games

If you pay for it.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    you think they'll make the rumble an extra, rather than standard? hmmm, could happen i s'pose

bongi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    you think they'll make the rumble an extra, rather than standard? hmmm, could happen i s'pose

It may become standard from now on, but I don't see them pulling the thousands of launch consoles and controllers from the shelves. At the very least, it will be splintered for a good while. Sucks for the uninformed who will continue to buy the outdated/gimped merchandise.

Sony can make good with vouchers or trade-ins or something, but frankly they're already marking losses, so it's entirely unlikely. They really should have handled this issue before launch.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's not like SIXAXIS is a raping of the human soul.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Strifer wrote: »
    It's not like SIXAXIS is a raping of the human soul.

If Sony could find a way, it would be.:P

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hell, this isn't the first time one company decided to swap one controller out for another. Remember the Duke? Remember when Sony added rumble and two analog sticks to their PSone pads?

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Filler wrote: »
    This is good news. [Q:] They lied to us? How do you know? Even if it is possible to fit rumble and motion sensitive controls together, what kept them from doing it was the looming lawsuit.

Why would you release a statement saying that the reason you're not doing it is because of the lawsuit? That lends leverage to the suing company, it would show them that they are desperate. [A:] However, stating that it's just not possible lets them think that they just have given up on the idea and they don't need the technology anymore.

But this is all speculation, infact this thread is filled with speculation. Speculating that the reason sony lied is because they don't respect their customers.

If anyone has an internal document stating why they said what they said, I'd sure as hell like to see it. Until then, all any of you are doing is assuming.
    I'll admit that this is all speculation -- hell, for all we know Sony isn't going to put force feedback back into the controllers. But the main reason you hear bitching about this is bceause Sony's PR gamble backfired. They decided to say, "Hey, we don't need rumble," so if they do in fact decide to put rumble back in, it's egg on their face. I don't give a shit about reasons -- I don't honestly think they're an evil, evil company or anything -- but I do care about actions, and we don't have to speculate that they said rumble wasn't possible -- they actually, physically said it. And that is why you see at least some of us complaining. Yeah, there are some crazed Nintendo die-hards who see this as free ammo -- but shit, you think that's limited to G&T?

For the record, I was also a bit miffed when I found out the Wii's News and Weather channels and the Web browser weren't going to be live at launch. But 1) I found out about that before the launch, and 2) The News and Weather channels have been free updates. I still don't know if the Opera browser is going to be free or not. I was also agitated when Nintendo's Kaplan erroneously said the Wii was region-free. But "OTHER PEOPLE DO IT TOO" doesn't excuse the behavior -- you learned that in second grade, chum.
    Gyral wrote:
    Hell, this isn't the first time one company decided to swap one controller out for another. Remember the Duke? Remember when Sony added rumble and two analog sticks to their PSone pads?
    True, but also remember how many PS1 games actually used the right analog stick. I'm pretty sure you can count them on one hand. The rumble is a different matter, but Wikipedia shows the Dual Shock coming to the PS1 in late '97 in Japan. That's a good 2-3 years after launch. Introducing such an alleged new controller revision a year after launch just makes people think it should have been available at launch ... or do people not remember how much bitching DLC in 360 games get? When you buy a 360 game and you have shit available on the Live Marketplace for sale, you suspect some of that content was withheld strictly for extra profit.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gyral wrote: »

I cited both of those things in the GAF equivalent of this thread. I didn't really agree with those moves either, but at least in the case of the Duke, it wasn't so much a functional change as it was an aesthetic one. (Owners of the Duke may disagree...)

It just seems dirty. Almost like an intentional snub to early adopters, given that it hasn't been 6 months since launch.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007

It may become standard from now on, but I don't see them pulling the thousands of launch consoles and controllers from the shelves. At the very least, it will be splintered for a good while. Sucks for the uninformed who will continue to buy the outdated/gimped merchandise.

Sony can make good with vouchers or trade-ins or something, but frankly they're already marking losses, so it's entirely unlikely. They really should have handled this issue before launch.

it seems to me it's only going to be splintered as long as there are games that actually require rumble in order to be played

except that ps3 developers have thought there will be no rumble for over a year now, so none of them will have it integral for six months at the least

sucks for the early adopters, i agree, but there's so few of them i doubt it will splinter the market at all

if you were being particularly cynical, you could say that the early ps3s will all be broken in six months time anyway, so they can get their rumble-ready ps3s for free

bongi on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    if you were being particularly cynical, you could say that the early ps3s will all be broken in six months time anyway, so they can get their rumble-ready ps3s for free
    You're a real silver-lining kind of guy. ;)

I don't think I recall rumble ever being required by any game on any platform, as Wavebird owners can attest to. You might miss some stuff, but it's never anything cruicial, AFAIK.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gyral wrote: »

In the EU (Europe FTW again!) We got the ordinary PSOne pad; the long-handled PSOne pad with analog sticks and no rumble (originally advertised as having rumble) to co-incide with the release of some off-road buggy racing game; then less than six months after that and claiming rumble was too expensive, we got the PSOne dual shock to co-incide with the release of Gran Turismo.

Same shit, different year. Although, that was pretty much the norm back then. Namco released a different controller with major versions of Ridge Racer (Negcon, Jogcon).

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    You're a real silver-lining kind of guy. ;)

I don't think I recall rumble ever being required by any game on any platform, as Wavebird owners can attest to. You might miss some stuff, but it's never anything cruicial, AFAIK.

not essential maybe, but "Snake, hold the controller against your arm"
    "... why?"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As much as I love the MGS games, I always thought some of the things they used the rumble for was cheesy. And simply not including that kind of stuff isn't going to make the game any better or worse.

Though the RP sensor was pretty cool, but again, the beeping alone is all you need to make the item work. The rumble was just atmosphere.

Dirty on