As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pre-Pax Bar Crawl] Pokecrawl Episode 3: A Brand New World!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fruhmann wrote: »
    Question: Do the Nurse Joy/Assistants have to be straight edge for the evening or can they imbibe, but remain sober?

Good question. From the OP, they are called "sober assistants". I assume this means no drinking as the point is for them to essentially be DDs, but I may be interpreting it as a more strict rule than it really is.

• KyussKyuss Registered User regular
    This will be the greatest night I'll never remember.

Question: Can I wear a lab coat even if I'm not a Professor? Because I just like drinking in a lab coat. :D

• zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    If you're interested in signing up for Tododile Silver, send me a PM. I'll be sure to notify people when spots open up. :)

Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
  • FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Question: Do the Nurse Joy/Assistants have to be straight edge for the evening or can they imbibe, but remain sober?

Good question. From the OP, they are called "sober assistants". I assume this means no drinking as the point is for them to essentially be DDs, but I may be interpreting it as a more strict rule than it really is.

i'm kind of reading it as they'll be the people to make sure everyone in the group gets a cab to where they're going, not so much that the nurse/asst will be driving team members back to their hotels. so if someone had a beer or glass of wine at bar 1 and/or 2, only drinking soda or water after that, i think they'd be able to handle a cellphone to make calls for people.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Just take the train from Trenton! I'm from Philly and taking it. Or are you working and then heading up?

After work and travelling with friends (who are driving from DC) Train is what I wanted to do but it's too expensive for them. Snorlax here I come!

I am pretty sure I saw it leaving at like 7am and getting in around 1pm. Was maybe $60 round trip I think.

edit: I am hawking this thread so hard. Haha. $20 Atlus opens sign ups when I am at my hockey game at 10pm tonight. *shakes fist*

When I checked the train for the great train adventure it was something like $60 each way, which I didn't mind. But with 4 people that makes $480. Driving will not cost $480.

Well, technically it will cost $120 each then. Are you paying for them if you took the train?

I would 100% rather pay for the convenience of relaxing for a few hours than having to deal with other drivers. I just have to make sure I find other PAX people to hang with this year since I am traveling alone this year.

I'm talkign about total cost, no I'm not paying for them. But driving will be considerably cheaper than that.

Again though, I agree with you. I would much rather throw some money around and take the train. But they just are not up for the cost. Because they do not have the cash monies to throw around. They don't wear monocles.

But anywho... I will be on team Snorlax even if I'm the only one there. I'll be there. Just sitting in the back. Getting drunk. Wearing a Gengar hat.

• tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    i'm kind of reading it as they'll be the people to make sure everyone in the group gets a cab to where they're going, not so much that the nurse/asst will be driving team members back to their hotels. so if someone had a beer or glass of wine at bar 1 and/or 2, only drinking soda or water after that, i think they'd be able to handle a cellphone to make calls for people.

It's not the sober assistants job to hold peoples hands. We're all adults, and the second rule of the pokecrawl is "Know your limit!" People shouldn't be planning to get so utterly smashed and then depend on NJ/OJ to pour them into a cab at the end of the night.

At most an NJ/OJ should encounter 1 or 2 people throughout the night that need the help closing their bar tab and getting in a cab back to the correct hotel. In my two years as a Professor I only had to get one person in a cab, and that was relatively early in the evening.

I've found in previous years the sober assistants were really helpful in telling me (as the Professor) when it was time to move on, and to lead the house to the next bar with their GPS while I wrangled the stragglers out of the bar.

So if you're a light weight (and this goes back to "Know your limit") don't drink if you're a NJ or OJ. If you _can_ hold your liquor, feel free to drink occasionally (maybe every third bar) and stay hydrated in between.

That said, the NJ/OJ positions are really the best for people who DON'T like to drink and thus won't feel like their having to miss out on "the fun" to be responsible. So if you want to drink, don't sign up for NJ/OJ. You can always pace yourself and stay relatively sober on your own if you want to keep an eye out for your fellow crawlers at the end of the night (and your fellow crawlers will appreciate your help and care)

Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    Pro Tip: Make a Card with your hotel name, address, and a POC if you're staying with someone. Keep in Wallet in case you break rule #2, then show card to Cab Driver and say "I need to go here"

i agree with all of that. i only ask so that i might introduce the idea of being a nurse to my gf, who may drink 1 beer or mixed drink at the first bar and nothing else the rest of the night. but unless she's into being totally dry for the evening, i won't press the matter.

• boozysmurfboozysmurf Registered User regular
    gfish wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better, I missed the initial sign ups and am waiting to switch from gold to silver.

Not too worried, I appear to have started watching just in time, but the rest of my travel group needs to be alerted, so this is useful stuff.

Rest of travel group is now watching avidly, waiting for things to open up! *refresh*refresh*refresh*

Pro Tip: Make a Card with your hotel name, address, and a POC if you're staying with someone. Keep in Wallet in case you break rule #2, then show card to Cab Driver and say "I need to go here"

and make an ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact on your phone.

• adsforjonadsforjon Registered User new member
    I choose you !Totodile Silver! +1

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Edit :Sorry...jumped the gun!

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • ZarienZarien Registered User regular
    Guys, the slots still aren't open. You have to wait till atlus opens everything back up.

Zarien wrote: »
    Guys, the slots still aren't open. You have to wait till atlus opens everything back up.

i'm being ever so patient!

• folkitfolkit Lucille Bluth is my spirit animal. FloridaRegistered User regular
    I really want to do this, it's actually one of the reasons I'm coming in earlier on Thursday. Hopefully I won't miss the next round of openings...I have an awesome pokéball bra and everything!

tehnakki wrote: »

It's not the sober assistants job to hold peoples hands. We're all adults, and the second rule of the pokecrawl is "Know your limit!" People shouldn't be planning to get so utterly smashed and then depend on NJ/OJ to pour them into a cab at the end of the night.

At most an NJ/OJ should encounter 1 or 2 people throughout the night that need the help closing their bar tab and getting in a cab back to the correct hotel. In my two years as a Professor I only had to get one person in a cab, and that was relatively early in the evening.

I've found in previous years the sober assistants were really helpful in telling me (as the Professor) when it was time to move on, and to lead the house to the next bar with their GPS while I wrangled the stragglers out of the bar.

So if you're a light weight (and this goes back to "Know your limit") don't drink if you're a NJ or OJ. If you _can_ hold your liquor, feel free to drink occasionally (maybe every third bar) and stay hydrated in between.

That said, the NJ/OJ positions are really the best for people who DON'T like to drink and thus won't feel like their having to miss out on "the fun" to be responsible. So if you want to drink, don't sign up for NJ/OJ. You can always pace yourself and stay relatively sober on your own if you want to keep an eye out for your fellow crawlers at the end of the night (and your fellow crawlers will appreciate your help and care)
    \\

Thanks Nakki for spelling it out. My experience is that having one beer as the Sober Assistant is fine, but you'll still need to be on your toes and help people get organized in crowded bars, direct confused people, and make sure everyone gets to where they need to be. I think in this situation, either being a Boston native or being really good with a GPS would be a better skill than anything.

Agreed that we're not here to hold you hands (or hold your hair back). If you're of legal age to drink, please act like it.

Zarien wrote: »

This. I feel like Zerzhul has copied the same text over and over again.

• PinkysAvengerPinkysAvenger Registered User regular
    folkit wrote: »
    I really want to do this, it's actually one of the reasons I'm coming in earlier on Thursday. Hopefully I won't miss the next round of openings...I have an awesome pokéball bra and everything!

this NEEDS to happen...

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Keep in mind PokeAssists and OJ/NJ are two different things! Your assists can be/will be drinking so if you were thinking of asking to volunteer for a PokeAssist do not think that you can't get drunk with the rest of us... or that our team members can't buy us booze.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

this NEEDS to happen...

:-X

You should probably pick Chikorita Silver. Just saying.

Thank God sign ups didn't open tonight. Had a hockey game tonight followed by bar until midnight. Haha. I was practicing guys. I promise!

edit: Being a little drunk makes me a whole lot more excited for this. Is that wrong?!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    zombiebot wrote: »

\\

Thanks Nakki for spelling it out. My experience is that having one beer as the Sober Assistant is fine, but you'll still need to be on your toes and help people get organized in crowded bars, direct confused people, and make sure everyone gets to where they need to be. I think in this situation, either being a Boston native or being really good with a GPS would be a better skill than anything.

Agreed that we're not here to hold you hands (or hold your hair back). If you're of legal age to drink, please act like it.

Yeah. At minimum, I would like our Officer Jenny to be the least drunk out of our team. I understand that that is relative.

7B14287.png

this NEEDS to happen...

Thank God sign ups didn't open tonight. Had a hockey game tonight followed by bar until midnight. Haha. I was practicing guys. I promise!

edit: Being a little drunk makes me a whole lot more excited for this. Is that wrong?!

me or her? or both?

im sorta friends with juju in real life, and i have a bulbasaur hoodie, so thats where i was aiming regardless

this NEEDS to happen...

me or her? or both?

im sorta friends with juju in real life, and i have a bulbasaur hoodie, so thats where i was aiming regardless

All peoples!

I am Twitter/Facebook/PA friends with her and went on a bar crawl with her once. That is kinda the same thing, right? Haha.

People that go to PAX and don't do the bar crawl are not really going to PAX.

bYf6vNQ.png
    I wonder if the fact that a tree fell on Atlus' van has anything to do with the delay >.>

I wonder if the fact that a tree fell on Atlus' van has anything to do with the delay >.>

*sigh* Typical Atlus. A tree falls on his van and he takes it as an excuse to put off doing other, more important things.

• gfishgfish Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Did it happen in a forest? Did anyone hear it?

-- PokeTron: Ampharos
  • Chixor9Chixor9 Registered User new member
    I choose you !Chikorita Silver (green silver)

Chixor9 wrote: »

Teams are still temporarily closed.
    The initial wave of signups is over, and people are waiting for the second wave to begin.

At this point I can't tell if people are trolling me because I keep responding to these, or if Atlus is just trolling all of us ;)

It is like clockwork, zerzhul. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Chixor9 wrote: »

Teams are still temporarily closed.
    The initial wave of signups is over, and people are waiting for the second wave to begin.

At this point I can't tell if people are trolling me because I keep responding to these, or if Atlus is just trolling all of us ;)

Probably both.

All peoples!

I am Twitter/Facebook/PA friends with her and went on a bar crawl with her once. That is kinda the same thing, right? Haha.

what about people that are going on the barcrawl but aren't going to PAX?

All peoples!

Blasphemy

All peoples!

Wait. People don't go to PAX?!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    Izzie wrote: »
    Question; are the silver / gold for each color considered separate groups / have separate routes?

They are considered part of the same team for donation collection purposes. They start together at the same bar, and have different routes. I don't remember if they end together or not.
    Randomfool wrote: »
    Question; are the silver / gold for each color considered separate groups / have separate routes?

If it's like previous years, gold and silver will start and finish at the same bar but have different routes in between.

Ok, thanks guys.
    Myself and a bunch of friends are waiting on getting into blue silver, too...
    It's gonna be a rabid dash before that group fills up <_<

http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
    edited March 2012
    Ok, thanks guys.
    It's gonna be a rapidash before that group fills up <_<
    I fixed that for you.

190px-078Rapidash.png

tehnakki on

• gfishgfish Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    !Mareep Gold I choose you!

is what I would say if the slots were open right now, zerzhul!

-- PokeTron: Ampharos
  • IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    Ok, thanks guys.
    I fixed that for you.

190px-078Rapidash.png
    LMFAO.

Well played.

http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
  • KyussKyuss Registered User regular
    Ok, thanks guys.
    I fixed that for you.

190px-078Rapidash.png

Haha. I see Raichu did there.

raichu.jpg

• VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    Kyuss wrote:
    Ok, thanks guys.
    I fixed that for you.

190px-078Rapidash.png

Haha. I see Raichu did there.

raichu.jpg

I find these comments to be a Weedle funny

weedle.jpg

MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
  • cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    I've just been informed that my request for taking off that Thursday is not going to be fulfilled *cries a thousand tears* I had so much fun last year, I can't believe I can't take part again. Someone may have my place in team Green Gold :(

I request that whoever gets it takes at least a shot for me. :)