As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Fuck you SJ, shit's all wonky when using Saudi Internet. I can't even access some websites because they automatically 'sense' my location and swap to fucking arabic. Gimme a minute.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Just trying to help, gosh

• Options
    SJ wrote: »
    Just trying to help, gosh

I fixed it.

For you.

<3

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    This is how that game seemed to go down:

Start eating thunderwolves.

Continue eating thunderwolves.

Finish eating thunderwolves.

Profit!

Seriously though, how did you not lose those combats against the thunderwolves? FNP?

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Vassal should just include a replay feature where it'll spit out a GIF or slideshow of the moves and stuff made every turn.

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    There is actually a really cool program called Battle Chronicler

You can see some of the stuff I did using that here. I think you can do animated gifs or something similar with it. You can even import Army Builder files and it builds the units for you. Pretty amazing.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Vassal is literally the least functional piece of software I will use. It's so bad at what it does, that it's just BARELY tolerable to use. So really, someone should just fix it, but I think it's stuck where it's at for 40k for legal reasons so it's all we have.

signature.png
  • Options
    Yeah Battle Chronicler isn't really a Vassal replacement, mostly just a battle report tool

Those screenshots for Vassal are hard for me to understand and I've only ever tried to use the program once. Wasn't really interested in finagling stuff.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    I had a fun idea for a play-by-email browser game that would be Vassal-ish, and would be a 40k variant. I know GW would hate it though, and just creating logins/passwords for PA members alone is probably not a good protection mechanism.

Still, I'd like to write it one of these days.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    WIP from the painting thread:

AnPVnh6CMAAesxS.jpg

• Options
    Niiiiiiiiiiice

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Some obvious white spots I'll go over later, but that's not exactly an angle you'll look at it from anyway. (And the claws aren't dry in that pic.)

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    I'm now attempting to make some custom Tyranid dice from Chessex, but what a horrible website. Nothing about it makes a lot of sense, it's just sort of email them with a mash-up of stuff that I want and wait for a reply.

Now I'm just waiting for this weather to get better so I can prime some more models. Wound up buying a Carnifex + shitload of bits, and lo and behold it's full of MC Devourer arms. Way more than I even need, in fact. Now that bits order I did through eBay was kind of a waste of money...

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Has anyone played the 40k in 40 minutes rules? They look pretty neato.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    DocSamson wrote: »
    Wound up buying a Carnifex + shitload of bits, and lo and behold it's full of MC Devourer arms. Way more than I even need, in fact.

Consider yourself lucky. Most people can't find enough MC Devourer arms.

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    He's had the bits plus the model for a while now it seems, and I couldn't figure out what was different about it until I started assembling my new out of the box Carnifex. The plastic is a different colour; it's this sort of lighter hue, and weirdly enough is almost completely devoid of any mould lines unlike the newer version.

Did GW switch plastics at some point?

• Options
    I'm now attempting to make some custom Tyranid dice from Chessex, but what a horrible website. Nothing about it makes a lot of sense, it's just sort of email them with a mash-up of stuff that I want and wait for a reply.

Now I'm just waiting for this weather to get better so I can prime some more models. Wound up buying a Carnifex + shitload of bits, and lo and behold it's full of MC Devourer arms. Way more than I even need, in fact. Now that bits order I did through eBay was kind of a waste of money...

All you really have to do is email custom@chessex.com with a request. If you buy 30 I think it is actually cheaper than if you buy 25 or 20.

I had some Tyranid dice made a while back - here they are:
    3HIUF.png

And I just commissioned some Beastmen dice:
    dV7da.png

My Mantis Warrior dice:
    IMAG0699.jpg

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    How do you get the symbols for those? Send them pics of what you want? Or do they have them already? I tried to use their website also, and could not figure out how to order the dice.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Send an email to custom@chessex.com with your image and how many you want. They cannot provide images due to copyright, I imagine.

Prices: 10-25 dice: $1.00 per side
    26-99 dice: $0.75 per side
    100-199 dice: $0.60 per side
    200-499 dice: $0.50 per side
    500-999 dice: $0.42 per side
    1000+: please ask for quotes

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular

It's fun. I played one tournament that used something close, and allowed armor 34 (predator trololo).

I would love to play 5th GKs at 400 points.

• Options
    mugginns wrote: »
    Send an email to custom@chessex.com with your image and how many you want. They cannot provide images due to copyright, I imagine.

Prices: 10-25 dice: $1.00 per side
    26-99 dice: $0.75 per side
    100-199 dice: $0.60 per side
    200-499 dice: $0.50 per side
    500-999 dice: $0.42 per side
    1000+: please ask for quotes
    When those prices list "per side" does that mean per customized side? I.e. a skull as a 6 would be $1/die? Or are you literally paying $6 for a d6?

And @DocSamson, they switched to a darker plastic a couple years ago it seems. I have like a hundred built, unprimed Guardsmen from 2006 and everyone asks me if they're resin, because the gray is waaay lighter.

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2012
    Welcome to 10 years ago. No I am serious those rules were printed 10 years ago. It it also known as 40k in a flash and Combat Patrol.

And yes I have played them, and like them.

Here is an updated PDF of Combat patrol rules for 5th.

And here is the 2012 Adepticon rules for Combat Patrol.

I think they are mostly the same, some slight differences, but you can get the general idea.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    He's had the bits plus the model for a while now it seems, and I couldn't figure out what was different about it until I started assembling my new out of the box Carnifex. The plastic is a different colour; it's this sort of lighter hue, and weirdly enough is almost completely devoid of any mould lines unlike the newer version.

Did GW switch plastics at some point?

Yes. I went rummaging through my old warhams stuff at my parent's place not too long ago and I have quite a few marine bits from when the plastic tactical kit was new.

The plastic was way lighter and much, much better.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    One of the reasons 40k in my local game store is being destroyed by the store-owner's son is because they were having a "beginner escalation league".

400pts per army. I asked if I had to use a new army or could I use an existing one. Well, you can only use a NEW army. Thanks guys, I don't want to start an army every time you have a league, I just want to help kids learn to play properly because here's the list your TFG son is taking against complete newbs:

Lord Kaldor Draigo
    2 paladins

Jesus fucking Christ. The owner of the tourney is taking that against tau, and tac squads and shit to help them learn.

Great environment. Also, he doesn't have a new army, why do I have to have one?

UNNNNGgggg

signature.png
  • Options
    AbesolutZEROAbesolutZERO HERESY! WHERE!? Registered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    Lord Kaldor Draigo
    2 paladins

Hahahahahaha
    Ahahaahahahahaha

Oh my god.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Seriously? A special character in a 400 point game? Are they kidding?

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    I don't get it. What's a Kaldor Draigo?

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    dreadddddddddsock

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    100% certain, at least in the 4th ed combat patrol rules, special characters were expressly forbidden.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    AbesolutZEROAbesolutZERO HERESY! WHERE!? Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    I don't get it. What's a Kaldor Draigo?

Grey Knights special character. AKA the guy who runs around in the realm of Chaos kicking everyone's ass because he's a super special snowflake.

• Options
    100% certain, at least in the 4th ed combat patrol rules, special characters were expressly forbidden.

There were also a ton of rules like no more than 2 wounds, no 2+ saves, no vehicles with combined AV of more than like 22 or something...it was kind of hard to dickwheel it up.

• Options
    Lascannons to ID the paladins, run away win the world.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    And so we learn why all those restrictions were in place.

That is a bad list on so many levels.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    mr_mich wrote: »
    When those prices list "per side" does that mean per customized side? I.e. a skull as a 6 would be $1/die?

Yes

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    RE: The vassal game - Yeah, I had first turn so setup way out of cover with the idea of moving up with FNP and daring him to charge me. He stole the init, moved up then fleeted 2" putting him 10" away. Lucky for me one of his wolves would have to go through the difficult terrain because closest to closest going first meant the wolf on the left couldn't reach anything else within 12" except the guy straight through the bush. He failed his terrain test and I got to charge. I slaughtered the first unit easily, he lost combat by 7... then made 7 no retreat saves after getting caught. That battle started to go south as he threw the lord in there, having 8 thunderhammer attacks per turn made it rough to win combats when I had to split my attacks between 2 grey hunter squads, 1 lone thunderwolf, the lord and another thunderwolf unit. Luckily, despite me flubbing a few rounds he also regularly failed numerous armor saves. The Broodlord unit got stuck in and he went to town.

On the right he lost a wolf to hive guard shooting before charging and getting 5 wounds from the gaunt screen... and failing all of them. He lost combat, then next round the Trygon jumped in and took care of business.

Deathleaper put his lord at LD8, then popped up and easily dealth with a grey hunter squad before hopping down and eating another. The gargs were sitting back the whole game to fill in whichever side died first. AG mean I'd hit first with blinding poison, and whatever made it through the line was going to be pretty torn up anyways.

Overall it was a hilarious game with a bunch of shit that made no sense considering he knew exactly what I was bringing. He said, "I was too lazy to make a list, and flamers were free. So I took a bunch of those." Yeah...

RE: The 3 man 500 point list - Dude that's like the worst list ever, I would love to face that with any army. He rolls 7 1s and he loses the game.

Shit, nevermind the fact that a single venom could just kite them around the board literally forever.

That's a great list to play against noobs, it'll teach them that the solution to every problem isn't "DRIVE CLOSER AND LET ME HIT IT WITH MY SWORD!"

• Options
    edited March 2012
    You don't understand. this is a kid who literally only plays paladin GK lists and WILL NOT enforce any rules that help others. He's not going to enforce a 400pt combat patrol list! He won't even tell his opponent - who literally has played 1 game ever - anything to help him.

HE is the very embodiment of That Fucking Guy. Compounded by his mom being the store owner. It's like some special gamer hell. I think she KINDA knows he's that way, but unless I step up and like, force myself to be the 40k guy which I don't want to do, it's not gonna change.

UGGGGH.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    altmann wrote: »
    but unless I step up and like, force myself to be the 40k guy which I don't want to do, it's not gonna change.

You hear that knock? That's fucking responsibility knocking at your door.

Go get the shoebox with your balls out from under your bed and go handle business.

• Options
    For once I agree with Trace of Toxin.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Take Fire Dragons. 400 points of Fire Dragons.
    Well, 340 points of Fire Dragons after min Troops. 22 Melta shots per turn will work out Pretty OK.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    For once I agree with Trace of Toxin.

WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!?

This discussion has been closed.