As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo eShop] THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Snagged Punch-Out!! today

I thought the smaller screen would mean missing a lot of the visual cues, but outside of Great Tiger's head jewel, I haven't had a problem
    Yeah, the 3DS screen is the exact vertical resolution of the NES so they're very crisp and playable.

By the way, if you want to be blown away by the crazy amount of detail in Punch Out (and/or the best ways to beat each boxer with finesse), watch this guy's series of videos. Sadly he never finished his series, but he goes through most of the boxers and it's stunning what you will learn about this old game. He pads the videos with some goofy stuff but it's generally enjoyable.

As an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGerPQFKnw4

I watched some of these last night and took to the Von Kaiser fight and damn, all this detail blew my mind

It's amazing how much I didn't know shit about Punch-Out

His first video where he realizes he sucked at Punch-Out describes me perfectly

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Holy fucking shit

I have been playing Punch-Out for 21 years and I never knew that pressing down twice make you do a quick duck

That's not even from that guy's videos, I just happened to do that in the second Don Flamenco fight right now

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I've had my eye on Colors 3D for some time now.
    The only problem is I can't draw worth a toss, would it help me improve through using it?

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    I've had my eye on Colors 3D for some time now.
    The only problem is I can't draw worth a toss, would it help me improve through using it?

All drawing practice will definitely help you improve!

But, unlike Art Academy, there are no lessons. It's useful to watch how drawings are created from start to finish from the gallery, but it won't explicitly teach you anything. It's just a paint program.

Having said that my second Colors3D painting is much much better than my first.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Re: NES colors

I seem to remember Super Mario Bros. having a sky blue... well, sky on the NES.

Wii and some screenshots I've seen? Seems to have a slightly purplish tint to it.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Figured I would go ahead and post news that has made its rounds on the interwebs. La Mulana has been cancelled. Nicalis chose to not publish it as he said they have waited two years for the dev to complete the game, and finally decided it wasn't worth it. Especially at how the WiiWare sales are practically non-existant now as the Wii comes to a close.

That stinks. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    No surprise. Wii Ware is as healthy as a graveyard.

eShop, however, continues to please me. I downloaded Colors 3D today.

Check out my first attempt, if you dare!

colorslive.com/details/113230-Power_Girl_by_RidleySaria.php

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    G0DG0D Registered User regular
    New free Club Nintendo eShop games incoming!

3D Classics: Urban Champion
    150 coins

Art Style: PiCTOBiTS
    150 coins

As always, these titles are available until the end of the month.

Somebody tell me in their own words what PiCTOBiTS is. I trust all of you tenfold more than anyone else anywhere else on the internet. Y'know why? 'Cuz I fucking love you guys! That's why!

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I'd rather get punched into an open manhole than spend 150 coins on Urban Champion.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    G0DG0D Registered User regular
    I have a feeling I'll be punched into many an open manhole, but my 900 coins weren't spending themselves, and the 3D effects in the game are crazy. I regret nothing!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I question whether this will always be true though. I'm willing to bet 3DS has greatly boosted DSiWare sales.

If WiiU has even half the eShop that 3DS has, I'm sure they will actually promote WiiWare games for once.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Yea, WiiWare has given me a bunch of games I love, but as Cloud said in the other thread, it never did become a huge success.

The e-shop seems to be doing things differently and better, so I'm happy. I wanted and own most of what has hit the e-shop so far. Nintendo has also created one of my favorite new characters through the e-shop with Dillon. Awesome game and love the character.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    On the second village, day 3 in Dillion's Rolling Western. Fun game so far.

I'd probably buy more WiiWare stuff if I knew for certain it will all be transferable to the WiiU. Since backwards compatability with GameCube is out, I'm beginning to become a little nervous as to what else will get cut out. It stands to reason that the WiiWare stuff will transfer without issue, but you never know....

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    With how Nintendo handled the DSi to 3DS conversion, I'm less worried about it. I'm sure they'll figure something out as to transfering VC/WiiWare stuff over.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    With how Nintendo handled the DSi to 3DS conversion, I'm less worried about it. I'm sure they'll figure something out as to transfering VC/WiiWare stuff over.

I hope so. Ideally I won't need the Wii anymore, but if I have to keep it for WiiWare stuff I'll be irritated.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I have to keep the Wii so I can play the GCN games I've collected since owning a Wii. (Never owned a Gamecube here.)

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I held on to my Gamecube even though I didn't think I would need it again. I will be able to trade my Wii for a Wii U without losing anything, hopefully.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I only bought like three Gamecube games (Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine & Paper Mario TTYD) so I won't feel too bad about losing that feature. I'm sure Nintendo will sell Gamecube games digitally eventually anyway, if not this generation upcoming then definitely the next.

Assuming I can transfer my purchases, my current Wii is going to my girlfriend and her family to enjoy.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Since getting the Wii, I have searched out and bought several Gamecube games. I hadn't realized how many awesome games came out on the system.

I'm still trying to get ahold of a copy of Billy Hatcher, as I have heard some great things about the game.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Since getting the Wii, I have searched out and bought several Gamecube games. I hadn't realized how many awesome games came out on the system.

I'm still trying to get ahold of a copy of Billy Hatcher, as I have heard some great things about the game.

If you haven't already, seek out the bongos (they're cheap) and get Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Extremely fun stuff by the guys who went on to make the Galaxy games.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Yea, don't have any bongos so I never bought any of the DK games. I'll have to look for them.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

If you haven't already, seek out the bongos (they're cheap) and get Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Extremely fun stuff by the guys who went on to make the Galaxy games.

I enjoyed New Play Control DKJB, arguably more than what I've played of the Bongo-enabled version at a relative's place, so you may just want to go for that instead.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    G0D wrote: »
    New free Club Nintendo eShop games incoming!

3D Classics: Urban Champion
    150 coins

Art Style: PiCTOBiTS
    150 coins

As always, these titles are available until the end of the month.

Somebody tell me in their own words what PiCTOBiTS is. I trust all of you tenfold more than anyone else anywhere else on the internet. Y'know why? 'Cuz I fucking love you guys! That's why!

Pictobits, or Picopict, depending on your region, is one of the best puzzle games I have ever played. It's a falling block style puzzler but with very original and quite brilliant mechanics. It's touchscreen controlled. You have to suck up, so to speak, different coloured blocks which you store in the order you collected them and then match four or more of the same colour. But in this game you can place a block on any part of the touchscreen to line up combos. It gets pretty difficult in the later stages. It also has an 8-bit classic Nintendo aesthetic and an incredible chiptune soundtrack which is remixes of NES tunes and worth the cost of the game by itself. Cannot recommend highly enough.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: It sucks that Nintendo only leaves the product registration surveys up for only a week after you purchase something. I've probably missed out on between 100 and 200 coins just because I've forgotten that Club Nintendo even exists from time to time.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    My beef is that I can only use intend to buy for the week or so in june every year when I lay down my 600 points.

I mean sure, I could register the games when I buy them on launch day, but I'm not going to.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    I still own my Gamecube (w/Gameboy player attachment!) and have over 20 GC titles to choose from. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Not to get too far off topic, but Eternal Darkness is awesome if you haven't grabbed that one yet :P

Edit:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: It sucks that Nintendo only leaves the product registration surveys up for only a week after you purchase something. I've probably missed out on between 100 and 200 coins just because I've forgotten that Club Nintendo even exists from time to time.

I missed all of the NES Ambassador games :( I've started actually setting calendar reminders in Outlook because it was getting ridiculous.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I held on to my Gamecube even though I didn't think I would need it again. I will be able to trade my Wii for a Wii U without losing anything, hopefully.

Do you have a component cable for the Gamecube? That's the sticking point for me. I have to keep my Wii because it would cost me more to buy a component cable for my Gamecube than I would even get out of selling the Wii.

Man, I would have been ecstatic to have digital audio and video output for Gamecube games on the Wii U...

• Options

Do you have a component cable for the Gamecube? That's the sticking point for me. I have to keep my Wii because it would cost me more to buy a component cable for my Gamecube than I would even get out of selling the Wii.

Man, I would have been ecstatic to have digital audio and video output for Gamecube games on the Wii U...

Hey, you never know. Gamecube Virtual Console :P

• Options

No I always just used composite for the Gamecube because I never had a good TV during that time. Maybe it won't be that bad? I'm not really fussy about graphics.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Hey, you never know. Gamecube Virtual Console :P

http://news.yahoo.com/wii-u-virtual-console-gamecube-games-says-nintendo-144430015.html
    Nintendo has been vague about how much internal storage the Wii U will have, but it might be a bit more than we think. Two days ago, NintendoGal, a long running Nintendo fansite, interviewed Amber McCollom, Nintendo of America’s director of entertainment & trend marketing. Much of the interview delves into McCollom’s role in NoA, but some new information about the Wii online store slipped out toward the end of the very late E3 interview. We’ve included quotes on three different topics below.

GameCube on Wii U
    In particular, it appears that, while the Wii U does not appear to play 8cm GameCube optical discs or have GameCube controller ports, as the Wii did, it may play GameCube games after all. McCollum explains that Nintendo usually (and by usually, she means just once before) only supports one system before. As such, the Wii U will be able to play Wii games, but not GameCube.

“You know it’s interesting that you bring up backwards compatibility and Nintendo’s history usually goes back one system,” said McCollom. “The Wii was compatible with GameCube and Wii U will be compatible with Wii and that’s pretty traditional in launches from Nintendo. … the GameCube discs will not be compatible with Wii U, but a number of the games that were playable on GameCube can be downloaded from WiiWare.”

GameCube optical discs hold 1.5GB of data and many games for the system used most or all of that storage. It will be interesting to see how Nintendo handles downloads that large. We hope the answer isn’t simply bigger SD cards, but it could be. McCollum also mentions WiiWare, but we believe she means Virtual Console, which is a subset of the Wii Shop Channel.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I won't even consider buying old games on a downloadable service if it was feasible to have included backward compatibility with discs. Meaning, if they run Gamecube games on the hardware natively in Gamecube mode, it's bullshit to not let me use my discs.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I won't even consider buying old games on a downloadable service if it was feasible to have included backward compatibility with discs. Meaning, if they run Gamecube games on the hardware natively in Gamecube mode, it's bullshit to not let me use my discs.

It would obviously be emulation, like with N64 games on VC. The Wii-U isn't going to have any GC hardware at all.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

It's not really feasable. They need additional hardware to support all that - the optical disks are a different size, they need the Gamecube controller ports, GC memory card support, Gamecube chips, etc.

If WiiU supports Gamecube, I honestly expect it to be emulated.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure Nintendo is just going to support generic USB hard drives. The cynical crowd might expect branded (ie more expensive ones) but I doubt Nintendo has the production capacity to make that happen.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

It's not really feasable. They need additional hardware to support all that - the optical disks are a different size, they need the Gamecube controller ports, GC memory card support, Gamecube chips, etc.

If WiiU supports Gamecube, I honestly expect it to be emulated.

I would have thought the same thing until they released the GBA games on the 3DS. They run in hardware in GBA mode, with a separate hardware layer providing input, saves, and video output. That's how I'd expect Gamecube games to run, now, considering the Wii U will already play Wii games.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Dritz wrote: »
    Pretty sure Nintendo is just going to support generic USB hard drives. The cynical crowd might expect branded (ie more expensive ones) but I doubt Nintendo has the production capacity to make that happen.

I'm sure Western Digital or somebody else will have a license, just like how Sandisk has the White Wii-branded SD cards.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    It would be cool if they decided to upgrade the USB port for the HDD to 3.0 in the intervening year but I'm not too worried about playing off of 2.0.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    The worst thing about GC games on WiiU will probably be the lack of support for analog triggers. I suppose they could bring out a Classic Controller GC or something. That would be pretty sweet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The worst thing about GC games on WiiU will probably be the lack of support for analog triggers. I suppose they could bring out a Classic Controller GC or something. That would be pretty sweet.

Rumor has it that the WiiU pad has been upgraded to include analog triggers.

Basically a lot of talk from people in the know that things about the pad have been improved, but not outwardly noticeable, and this was one of those things.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
This discussion has been closed.