As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GOP Primaries] WI, MD, DC 4/3. Sponsored by cheese, crab cakes, and murder, respectively.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    To be fair, third parties are a problem, not a solution in the US voting system as the FPTP->Spoiler is very real.

A problem for whom?
    The voting populace in general.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    To be fair, third parties are a problem, not a solution in the US voting system as the FPTP->Spoiler is very real.

A problem for whom?

Agreeing with @Goumindong it is a problem for everyone.

FPTP is practically the worst system out there for identifying the Condorcet winner specifically because of the spoiler effect.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Third parties need to focus on state and local elections if they ever want to get anywhere. You can't just jump up to the big boys.

That's also why I have no respect for the "meh, both parties are the saaaaaaame waaaaaah" attitude that my generation likes to circle jerk to.

Fuck, I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels that way.

I honestly want to murder gooses who brag about surrendering their agency like this.

I mean, I have recurring dreams about how I would do it.

• Options
    DexterBelgiumDexterBelgium Registered User regular
    Sooo, this is a thing as well. That makes my dreary day, and should become a campaign song, tbh.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Malkor wrote: »
    How do lifetime bureaucrats and politicians fail to send in the correct paperwork?

Lack of proper funding and organization. IIRC Santorum doesn't even have a central headquarters for his campaign staff.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Given that Americans Elect is going to do an Internet primary, I think it's safe to assume that Ron Paul will be their nominee. So if anything, they should sap votes from the Republican candidate.
    6999848271_f1972b8acb_b.jpg

EDIT: Never has the spoiler tag felt so appropriate.

enc0re on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Would Paul go third party? I mean, he would kill his son's chances, unless of course said son becomes an American Elect darling by default. How much preparedness does AE even have for the general election?

Then again, Paul really seems to care most about his ideas and visions, and only sees the GOP as the best vehicle for them right now. It might happen, but it seems like a hazy dream only shared by a few old dudes who want to reform the new deal in the same sense the allied air force reformed Dresden city planning.

Absalon on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Going third party would be as good as giving up if he believes that he has as much of a change as his supporters do. Bar everything else, he's still been in politics for a very long time and he can pretend that he's above the game but he's been immersed in it for decades.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    Would Paul go third party? I mean, he would kill his son's chances, unless of course said son becomes an American Elect darling by default. How much preparedness does AE even have for the general election?

Then again, Paul really seems to care most about his ideas and visions, and only sees the GOP as the best vehicle for them right now. It might happen, but it seems like a hazy dream only shared by a few old dudes who want to reform the new deal in the same sense the allied air force reformed Dresden city planning.

He might try but he won't hurt the general that much. Romney going third party on the other hand....

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »
    Given that Americans Elect is going to do an Internet primary, I think it's safe to assume that Ron Paul will be their nominee. So if anything, they should sap votes from the Republican candidate.
    6999848271_f1972b8acb_b.jpg

EDIT: Never has the spoiler tag felt so appropriate.

Actually, there's zero chance that RONPAUL will be the Americans Elect candidate. The rules of the party grant the people running it a veto on any candidate the party might vote for.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Americans Elect is such a joke.

• Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    So Quinnipiac ran a poll last week in my state (Virginia) - asking "Who would you vote for - Romney/McDonnell(the VA gov) or Obama/Biden.

Obama/Biden won. 50-42. And that's the best of the possible matchups (Obama takes VA over Santorum/Gingrich/Paul by 10).

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/virginia/release-detail?ReleaseID=1721

• Options
    Also - Google+ is apparently holding some sort of discussion with Willard today at 1445 Eastern.

https://plus.google.com/u/1/113664776160150493710/posts

Wonder what softballs they're gonna pitch at him.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    How hard hitting were they during the Obama interview on there? My guess is it will be on that level.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Did anyone figure out if the territory delegates matter at all. If they can't break a tie then that means Romney has what 50-60 less delegates than what the current count shows?

Another thing that hasn't been determined (like, the RNC literally doesn't have an answer for this yet; at least according to Chuck Todd on Lawrence O'Donnell last night) is what happens to the pledged delegates from Gingrich and Paul. The RNC rules state that in order to be a valid nominee the candidate needs to win at least 5 states. Which means that (assuming neither of them manage to win 5 states) they won't be eligible to receive votes during the first vote at the convention. But Todd said that the RNC hasn't figured out what that means for their pledged delegates, yet.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Obviously it means those delegates simply don't count as long as they're bound.

Duh, it's the republicans. The answer is always "don't count the votes"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    Did anyone figure out if the territory delegates matter at all. If they can't break a tie then that means Romney has what 50-60 less delegates than what the current count shows?

Another thing that hasn't been determined (like, the RNC literally doesn't have an answer for this yet; at least according to Chuck Todd on Lawrence O'Donnell last night) is what happens to the pledged delegates from Gingrich and Paul. The RNC rules state that in order to be a valid nominee the candidate needs to win at least 5 states. Which means that (assuming neither of them manage to win 5 states) they won't be eligible to receive votes during the first vote at the convention. But Todd said that the RNC hasn't figured out what that means for their pledged delegates, yet.

So the Paul-ites who have been going with "fuck the straw poll, win the delegate races" are pretty much boned, ne?

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Obviously it means those delegates simply don't count as long as they're bound.

Duh, it's the republicans. The answer is always "don't count the votes"

Unless it's for Romney. :twisted:

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Sooo, this is a thing as well. That makes my dreary day, and should become a campaign song, tbh.

Hahaha phenomenal.

Paul won't run American's Elect because for all his talk, he is part of the political system and doesn't want to tank his son.

Huntsman would be hilarious though.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Omg that is amazing.

• Options
    Paul Ryan is trying to do a budget again. Give it up, dog. Numbers aren't your thing.

• Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    I'm amazed that they're still rallying around Ryan considering how badly his last plan went over with people.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    What he had lots of (pre chosen) supporters attending photo ops at local colleges (in rooms blocked off by security) and interacted with (a very specific hand selected group of) voters who seemed to love it

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Unsurprisingly, it's a massive tax cut for the rich, and even more massive fuck the poor measures (de-funds ACA entirely, cuts Medicaid funding by a THIRD, substantial cuts to food stamps).

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So. Gingrich came to talk at LA Tech today. As a student and citizen, I felt I had to go and see how the Grinch would woo the college voters of Louisiana.

For reference, our Student union is about... oh... 200 by 100 feet.

1/2 of it was curtained off, and the rest was about half filled with students. The speech wasn't anything special (Guess you gotta save the A Game for the Liberal Media), but I did get interviewed with a few other friends I'd run into. They were fond of Gingrich, while I voiced my disapproval. Overall, it was an interesting day in the small town of Ruston.

EDIT:
    A friend reminded me of the most surreal part of the whole shebang. A guy from MSNBC was helping some guy hand out signs that said "Don't Believe the Liberal Media."

So, yeah.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So how will the candidates react? I'm guessing "this is an important starting point" or "he raises some important issues."

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    So. Gingrich came to talk at LA Tech today. As a student and citizen, I felt I had to go and see how the Grinch would woo the college voters of Louisiana.

1/2 of it was curtained off, and the rest was about half filled with students. The speech wasn't anything special (Guess you gotta save the A Game for the Liberal Media), but I did get interviewed with a few other friends I'd run into. They were fond of Gingrich, while I voiced my disapproval. Overall, it was an interesting day in the small town of Ruston.

EDIT:
    A friend reminded me of the most surreal part of the whole shebang. A guy from MSNBC was helping some guy hand out signs that said "Don't Believe the Liberal Media."

So, yeah.

Did it look like he was doing it to make people look like idiots, or because he thought it was hilarious?

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Hahaha phenomenal.

Paul won't run American's Elect because for all his talk, he is part of the political system and doesn't want to tank his son.

Huntsman would be hilarious though.
    wow

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Capfalcon wrote: »

EDIT:

So, yeah.

Did it look like he was doing it to make people look like idiots, or because he thought it was hilarious?

MSNBC's staff aren't all liberals. Scarborough is someone I can see who'd support that seriously.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Yup Paul cares about his ideas so much he refuses to attack Romney, the guy who's policy is furthest from him but is also most likely to win.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

Holy shit.

When did mitt romney say "I'm a bear"?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Holy shit.

By the Mitt Romney Standard of Truth (TM) that video is 100% accurate.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Well, yeah, but...

It really looks/sounds like one of the clips near them end is him saying "I'm a bear' and I just wondered if anyone knew the context for that, or if I misheard it.

• Options
    fugacityfugacity Registered User regular
    Sing the chorus, papa bear.

• Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote:

Holy shit.

I'm a bear market survivor, I'm a bearer of many sins... It could be anything.

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Oh Illinois...

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/3c02ff61579f4100af6718c7337c1be1/IL--Illinois-Primary-Ballots/
    CHICAGO — Election officials say nearly a quarter of Illinois counties and the city of Aurora are reporting that some primary ballots are too large and don't fit into scanning machines.

She says the vendor has said other countries are having similar problems during Tuesday's primary.

Jane Gasperin (GAS'-per-in) of the Illinois State Board of Elections says all votes will be counted, but tallying may go slower than usual in affected counties.

She says ballots from two vendors are causing problems in 24 counties. But not all precincts in those counties are affected. Some ballots are fine, even in the affected precincts.

Counties reporting ballot size problems are: Winnebago, Vermilion, Iroquois, Douglas, Knox, Grundy, McLean, Warren, Lee, Bond, Bureau, Christian, Clark, Coles, DeWitt, DuPage, Edgar, Macon, Macoupin, Moultrie, Putnam, Rock Island, Shelby and Tazewell.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Well, yeah, but...

It really looks/sounds like one of the clips near them end is him saying "I'm a bear' and I just wondered if anyone knew the context for that, or if I misheard it.

This just guarantees that even Stephen Colbert will be unable to support Mitt Romney.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Well, yeah, but...

This just guarantees that even Stephen Colbert will be unable to support Mitt Romney.

Being an actual bear would make me like Romney a little more. He'd be our first bear president, just don't let him near anywhere where salmon are spawning.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Oh man, that will put Colbert in an awkward position come general election time.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Well, yeah, but...

Being an actual bear would make me like Romney a little more. He'd be our first bear president, just don't let him near anywhere where salmon are spawning.

Or our pic-a-nic baskets.

Damned thieving bears.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython