As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]GuildWarLands 2: 96.5% more wuvwuv PRE-ORDER DETAILS IN OP OMGYES!

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote: »
    I can have obsidian armor on my pvp characters, with only a modest effort.

How? Do get obsidian armor you need to craft it in FoW. Your PvP characters can't get there. Or do you just mean you have billions of dollars laying around?

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    I can have obsidian armor on my pvp characters, with only a modest effort.

How? Do get obsidian armor you need to craft it in FoW. Your PvP characters can't get there. Or do you just mean you have billions of dollars laying around?

tournament reward points can be used to get elite armor now

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Going to do some type of Ranger first. I can imagine defending/attacking keeps, towers and castles, someone who's primarily ranged is going to be at an advantag :)

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »
    Also, my characters have names, background info, detailed personality descriptions, and fanart now, such is my obsession with GW2 at this point. I'm going to create and play them all during beta if I can.

Fixed that to describe me. ;D

I'm working on all those actually.

It is your duty, as one die-hard GW2 fan to the other, to fill me in on the awesome fanart that you end up getting.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Going to do some type of Ranger first. I can imagine defending/attacking keeps, towers and castles, someone who's primarily ranged is going to be at an advantag :)

Now you just need a pet with longbow range.

• Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    Rednaz wrote: »
    Also, my characters have names now, such is my obsession with GW2 at this point.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who's already coming up with names. I have one character in mind with a single-word name which is an unusual (though valid) spelling of a real (though uncommon) name, and I am experiencing nail-biting anxiety about someone beating me to the punch.

Unfortunately I can't reserve one of the names I want to use because someone already used that name. IIRC only names linked to the Hall of Monuments are reserved, is that correct?

From the FAQ:
    Can I play my original Guild Wars character in Guild Wars 2?

Guild Wars 2 is a whole new game with different professions and races, new technology, and expanded gameplay. It is not possible to directly use an original Guild Wars character.

However, your original Guild Wars character names will be reserved for your use in Guild Wars 2. The Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars 2 recognizes the accomplishments commemorated by your original Guild Wars characters and provides you with unique rewards to showcase those achievements.

Now that I'm looking at it, I honestly don't know. I originally quoted the last two sentences out of context, which makes it look like the answer is yes, but in context these could easily just be two unrelated statements about how your GW1 character's legacy will carry forward into the new game. You may be SOL.

I'm just going to email A.net about it then. I'm hoping it should be fine, otherwise I'd be sad about my future Thief :(

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular
    Also, my characters have names now, such is my obsession with GW2 at this point.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who's already coming up with names. I have one character in mind with a single-word name which is an unusual (though valid) spelling of a real (though uncommon) name, and I am experiencing nail-biting anxiety about someone beating me to the punch.

Unfortunately I can't reserve one of the names I want to use because someone already used that name. IIRC only names linked to the Hall of Monuments are reserved, is that correct?

From the FAQ:
    Can I play my original Guild Wars character in Guild Wars 2?

Guild Wars 2 is a whole new game with different professions and races, new technology, and expanded gameplay. It is not possible to directly use an original Guild Wars character.

However, your original Guild Wars character names will be reserved for your use in Guild Wars 2. The Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars 2 recognizes the accomplishments commemorated by your original Guild Wars characters and provides you with unique rewards to showcase those achievements.

Now that I'm looking at it, I honestly don't know. I originally quoted the last two sentences out of context, which makes it look like the answer is yes, but in context these could easily just be two unrelated statements about how your GW1 character's legacy will carry forward into the new game. You may be SOL.

I'm just going to email A.net about it then. I'm hoping it should be fine, otherwise I'd be sad about my future Thief :(

Good luck, dude! I'd like to hear what Arenanet has to say on this subject too.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Caedere wrote: »
    Also, my characters have names, background info, detailed personality descriptions, and fanart now, such is my obsession with GW2 at this point. I'm going to create and play them all during beta if I can.

Fixed that to describe me. ;D

I'm working on all those actually.

Varris(still unsure) Undor, descendant of the Canthan Hero Seres Undor. Necromancer, Nobility from his ancestor becoming an adviser to Queen Salma from his ability as a Ritualist to commune with the dead. The first of his family since Seres to follow anything other than simple fencing, he's an outcast among his siblings for his 'fascination' with the dead. Unable to learn the teachings of a Ritualist, and incapable of traveling to his ancestor's homeland he's chosen to instead learn the ways of a Necromancer after Seres himself appears to the young man one night whilst he's studying autopsy documents.

He'll have taken up the garb of his ancestor, which means I'll need a non-robe outfit with a hood. Gold and Red rather than what you'd normally expect, since Seres wears the Augur of Kormir dyed yellow.

Edit:
    Something like THIS would be perfect.
    Light_armor_01_concept_art.jpg

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Jeez guys, the game isn't even out yet and you're already making bios and fanart about your characters. That's dedication right there.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Hey, at this rate we'll even have slashfic of those characters before the game's out!
    Please don't write any slashfic.

• Options
    I'm desperate, man. I would totally play a Guild Wars tabletop game to take the edge off, at this point.

• Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    I was originally going to roll a sylvari necromancer as my first and main character, but having seen the footage coming out of the press beta, I will probably roll a sylvari warrior first and a charr necro second. Ranger is definitely going to be part of my lineup, though. I intend to roll every single profession except thief, and I will love them all like my own children.

Also, yeah, a couple of them have names already, and I'm working on the rest.

• Options
    Am I the only one not talking about the names I've picked because they are such fantastic names that you ne'er-do-wells will obviously do everything in your power to steal them at launch?

• Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    Am I the only one not talking about the names I've picked because they are such fantastic names that you ne'er-do-wells will obviously do everything in your power to steal them at launch?

I have already hacked that information and have already reserved all your planned names.
    I believe the idea is if you have the Hall of Monuments unlocked on your GW1 account your character names are reserved, so if you have GW1 and have the names there then you are safe. I am double checking this with Arena.net though.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote:
    Or any quality of life stuff at all. That's hyperbole, but still.

Does anybody intend to play a ranger or necromancer? Can't recall anybody saying as much.

Human Necro here. Charming commoner of unknown parentage blessed by Grenth.

Or possibly blessed by Dwayna just to see how that works out for a Necromancer.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've got two characters with reserved names and stuff.

Julia Cappo will be my main, human thief. I wanted a bit of a connection to the original Guild Wars, so I figure she's a distant descendant of minor Guild Wars NPCs Farrah Cappo and Little Thom (you know those two got together, they argue way too much not to be a couple). She'll be a dark-haired lady with a mixed Ascalon-Krytan heritage, but she's getting the poorest social status... her family hasn't exactly prospered thanks to a healthy streak of ne'er-do-wellism.

Ambrose Dartrime is my main character in Guild Wars, and I'll be passing his name along to my sylvari elementalist. Ambrose has visited Ventari and the Pale Tree in Guild Wars (OK, so he stumbled across it while running from a giant pack of monsters), so I figure my sylvari saw him in the Dreaming and learned a bit about his heroics, then decided to take up the name and the fire elementalist mantle.

I'm waiting for at least beta before I worry about names for my norn mesmer, charr hunter, and asura engineer. My husband and I like to nerd out on fantasy/multilingual name websites when making new MMO characters, so I'm sure I'll be looking at ancient Norse names at least. ;)

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    The first week I was 50 in TOR, we did Taral V hard mode, and we beat the boss, but his 8 adds(we got 2 waves of them because dps wasn't high enough yet) killed us, and because as soon as the boss dies the flashpoint completes itself, we couldn't zone in and loot the body. That type of situation isn't going to happen often, but man it was annoying as hell.

It is a good thing in guild wars 2 when you beat a boss and zone out you are given a nice popup that lets you loot anything in the area around your character that you forgot, or were unable to loot.

So even if somehow your entire party wipes just as the final boss goes down and the story mode dictated that you had to go to a different zone you still get the loot.

You still get the loot.

Ahem one more time, just so the awesome sinks in.

You still get the loot.

Also yes, because I GvG'd for well over untold number of hours I had a lot of tournament reward points so I pretty much unlocked the elite level armors. Shame I cant use that to get the HoM awards as pvp characters cant go to the hall of monuments. Considering all the balth faction i racked in in that time period I probably could have gotten at least 3 sets of obsidian armor just selling z keys.

It did come in handy to get the rare pets as y ou can unlock those via the battle isles. I have all pets unlocked, and all evolutions.

Draygo on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Huggles wrote: »
    Hey, at this rate we'll even have slashfic of those characters before the game's out!
    Please don't write any slashfic.

:imaginewinkyhereRIPwinky:

Fuckit, I'm going oldschool and rockin' the :eyebrows: from now on.

tnrsI.gif

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I do miss winky, to be honest.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Winky was a friend, through and through.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    The only name I have locked in stone is my Norn Ranger who's going to be named Stelmaria, follow the snow leopard spirit and have a bear named Iorek :P

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Kind of disappointing to hear names are already reserved. Great for people who played GW, obviously, but for newcomers quite the PITA.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    The first week I was 50 in TOR, we did Taral V hard mode, and we beat the boss, but his 8 adds(we got 2 waves of them because dps wasn't high enough yet) killed us, and because as soon as the boss dies the flashpoint completes itself, we couldn't zone in and loot the body. That type of situation isn't going to happen often, but man it was annoying as hell.

It is a good thing in guild wars 2 when you beat a boss and zone out you are given a nice popup that lets you loot anything in the area around your character that you forgot, or were unable to loot.

So even if somehow your entire party wipes just as the final boss goes down and the story mode dictated that you had to go to a different zone you still get the loot.

You still get the loot.

Ahem one more time, just so the awesome sinks in.

You still get the loot.

Also yes, because I GvG'd for well over untold number of hours I had a lot of tournament reward points so I pretty much unlocked the elite level armors. Shame I cant use that to get the HoM awards as pvp characters cant go to the hall of monuments. Considering all the balth faction i racked in in that time period I probably could have gotten at least 3 sets of obsidian armor just selling z keys.

It did come in handy to get the rare pets as y ou can unlock those via the battle isles. I have all pets unlocked, and all evolutions.

The way BioWare handled instances (Flashpoints) was just stupid. The FP shouldn't close/reset until you manually use the Reset Flashpoint option when everyone is out of it. Additionally, since you can only run one a HM version of any FP once a day, there is no reason at all to lock you out of those.

Not crapping on GW2, I like the idea of basically auto-looting anything you missed, but BioWare really screwed the pooch on their instance system, IMO.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    I shall name my Charr Ranger Fluffy, and he shall have a dog companion.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options

I have already hacked that information and have already reserved all your planned names.

You bastard. After I tried to help you! See if I revive you ingame!
    I totally will.
    I'm waiting for at least beta before I worry about names for my norn mesmer, charr hunter, and asura engineer. My husband and I like to nerd out on fantasy/multilingual name websites when making new MMO characters, so I'm sure I'll be looking at ancient Norse names at least. ;)

You guys know the Onomastikon, right? It's probably the largest index with the least bullshit. It doesn't have a lot of etymological data (I like Behind the Name for that), but it was my go-to for years, before baby naming websites began to proliferate. Oh god, I'm old in internet years.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm desperate, man. I would totally play a Guild Wars tabletop game to take the edge off, at this point.

That would be interesting if they had a table top version. Maybe GW1?

am0n on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I hope rangers and necros can talk through their pets. In City of Heroes, talking to masterminds was enjoyable, as they could talk through their pets.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I hope rangers and necros can talk through their pets. In City of Heroes, talking to masterminds was enjoyable, as they could talk through their pets.

What does that mean, specifically.

• Options
    You could do /petsay and then whatever you typed came out of all your pets, or one if you added a number.

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »

What does that mean, specifically.
    It means you could use special chat commands to make your pets speak and emote.

Pretty cool feature actually, both from a utilitarian and role play view.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    Nothing like standing in some highly populated area, with you and your entire group of minions banging on various drums.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    "am0n wrote: »
    The way BioWare handled instances (Flashpoints) was just stupid. The FP shouldn't close/reset until you manually use the Reset Flashpoint option when everyone is out of it. Additionally, since you can only run one a HM version of any FP once a day, there is no reason at all to lock you out of those.

Not crapping on GW2, I like the idea of basically auto-looting anything you missed, but BioWare really screwed the pooch on their instance system, IMO.

I dont see how you are even remotely crapping on GW2 with that post. That post is just crapping on SWTOR.

I am confused.

@ people in this thread. If you want to reserve a GW 2 character name you can start a new account relatively cheaply with the pvp access kit. When used to make a new account you get 4 character slots, which is 4 name reservations.

Draygo on
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMmtrJk1a0M

This actually isn't so bad to watch.

@Draygo I think you require the Hall of Monuments.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    "am0n wrote: »

I dont see how you are even remotely crapping on GW2 with that post. That post is just crapping on SWTOR.

I am confused.

@ people in this thread. If you want to reserve a GW 2 character name you can start a new account relatively cheaply with the pvp access kit. When used to make a new account you get 4 character slots, which is 4 name reservations.

I am fairly sure name reservations only work on accounts which have Eye of the North.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    NM then. Its not exactly spelled out.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I've never had an issue with someone taking my name 8->

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Neither have I. And with there being a first and last name rather then one large name, there will be ever the more possible combinations of names.

488W936.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I never get "Rend" (the one time I did, it was denied for being a restricted word)

But I have my character last name, a couple prefixes which make it never taken, and a couple other names I basically have exclusive rights to

• Options
    Someone got your usual single word name? Come up with a neat surname!

This discussion has been closed.