Options

[GW2]GuildWarLands 2: 96.5% more wuvwuv PRE-ORDER DETAILS IN OP OMGYES!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    The repair system already handles punishment for defeat at any rate. If you're dying a bunch you'll likely have to repair before moving on in the dungeon. You get a lot of chances, so it's not immediately punishing, but repeated defeats will require it. If people are super hung up on punishing players who don't learn at the same rate as them, I could see people implementing a "no revive" policy to force those players to repair before they're allowed to continue on with the group.

Of course, if this were to happen I'd never PUG and only stay with my friends who are nice and not interested in punishing me, but it's apparently possible this kind of culture could evolve.

Why would anyone ever need to do that?

You get defeated 6 times and you have no armor so you can't play and have to go repair anyway. There's no need to force anything.

And if someone in your group can't hack it, well, that's your problem. Dungeons are designed to be group content and so you are gonna need to deal with group dynamics some.

Er, I was responding to the sentiment that people have been expressing in this thread that they want bad players to be punished individually for being bad and not get as much reward for completing a dungeon than the better players in their groups. I was not one of those people, and I don't think I want to risk grouping with them, which is why I said I'd stick with friends who wouldn't feel that way about me.

However, I do feel that with the current system in place, people who have that sentiment might find ways to enforce that kind of punishment on players they perceive as "bad" for dying too much, by refusing to revive them from downed state, since if they were revived they do not become defeated and thus suffer no armor breakage.

This doesn't work though since if it's in combat, you probably need that guy to beat the encounter and if it's not, you can self-revive easily.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The repair system already handles punishment for defeat at any rate. If you're dying a bunch you'll likely have to repair before moving on in the dungeon. You get a lot of chances, so it's not immediately punishing, but repeated defeats will require it. If people are super hung up on punishing players who don't learn at the same rate as them, I could see people implementing a "no revive" policy to force those players to repair before they're allowed to continue on with the group.

Of course, if this were to happen I'd never PUG and only stay with my friends who are nice and not interested in punishing me, but it's apparently possible this kind of culture could evolve.

Why would anyone ever need to do that?

You get defeated 6 times and you have no armor so you can't play and have to go repair anyway. There's no need to force anything.

And if someone in your group can't hack it, well, that's your problem. Dungeons are designed to be group content and so you are gonna need to deal with group dynamics some.

Er, I was responding to the sentiment that people have been expressing in this thread that they want bad players to be punished individually for being bad and not get as much reward for completing a dungeon than the better players in their groups. I was not one of those people, and I don't think I want to risk grouping with them, which is why I said I'd stick with friends who wouldn't feel that way about me.

However, I do feel that with the current system in place, people who have that sentiment might find ways to enforce that kind of punishment on players they perceive as "bad" for dying too much, by refusing to revive them from downed state, since if they were revived they do not become defeated and thus suffer no armor breakage.

I'd tell those kinds of people to take their elitist made up bullshit and shove it up their goosey asses. The downed state is SPECIFICALLY created to give someone the chance to come back, people who would even think of doing something like this would/should be shunned and blocked by everyone for their bullshit.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I've not had it happen in an Operation, but it has been a real pain in HM flashpoints. There are lots of silly annoyances that should be fixed already. Meh.
    1. Don't release to medcenter
    2. ???
    3. Profit

Enosh20 on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Still doesn't make it a good thing in the least.

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    sidhaethe wrote:

I sincerely hope that this isn't the case. I know that there will be people who will resort to this, but purposefully choosing not to revive someone because you think they are bad won't make them instantly better. All it will really do is make you look like a goose.

I'm not worried about it becoming a widespread issue either way; these kind of people are usually rare in numbers, nor would they make the game any less enjoyable for myself.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    o
    Enosh20 wrote: »
    I've not had it happen in an Operation, but it has been a real pain in HM flashpoints. There are lots of silly annoyances that should be fixed already. Meh.
    1. Don't release to medcenter
    2. ???
    3. Profit

Wait what? I never said that, I've never done an operation or hm flashpoint in SWTOR

• Options
    I said it, you quoted me at some point.

Shenanigans.

• Options
    Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I said it, you quoted me at some point.
    Shenanigans.
    yeah deleted the wrong [ quote=xyx] part

Enosh20 on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The first week I was 50 in TOR, we did Taral V hard mode, and we beat the boss, but his 8 adds(we got 2 waves of them because dps wasn't high enough yet) killed us, and because as soon as the boss dies the flashpoint completes itself, we couldn't zone in and loot the body. That type of situation isn't going to happen often, but man it was annoying as hell.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    This just in: SWTOR sucks. More coverage in the [SWTOR] We paid 300 million dollars, and all we produced was a lousy WoW clone circa 2008 thread.

• Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    Yeah, I played GW1 last night. Fissure of Woe. I didn't realize the Woe was in reference to your character's inability to hop down 2 feet.

More like half a foot.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Probably don't have to worry too much about not rezzing people, since you get xp and progress towards various cheevos for doing it.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Xagar wrote: »
    Probably don't have to worry too much about not rezzing people, since you get xp and progress towards various cheevos for doing it.

Daily cheevos too. That means rezzing always all the time.

Huggles on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I think the reviving system is pretty great. Let me just get you back on your feet, friend. Solidarity!

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Rednaz wrote: »
    More like half a foot.
    Whatever. Point is we had to run all the way around that goddamn invisible wall.

I mean, going up? Yeah, since the dawn of gaming, whatever. But going back down? Come on. It's barely a step.

Back on task before the mods pop up, did they ever bring up any further info on the possibility of setting up local skirmishes? I know Eurogamer brought it up back here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-30-guild-wars-2-host-your-own-pvp-server

But there wasn't much said since then. Did the PR beta testers find anything supporting that?

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    If you read the comments apparently it was a comment taken in the wrong way. It's just a server browser, and you can make a private server that they host, just like a large amount of other MP games.

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Rewarding exceptional play is the same as punishing bad play in a video game. There's no way for the game to know if you played exceptionally, unless it's designed to be so difficult that only those who play exceptionally well can succeed, at which point that's the exact same thing as punishing poor play.

This is nonsense. For example: In dungeons, the game rewards good play by allowing players who excel additional, cosmetic rewards that you gain from Exploration Mode. Players who are merely okay will get the baseline token from Story Mode.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ironzerg wrote: »
    This just in: SWTOR sucks. More coverage in the [SWTOR] We paid 300 million dollars, and all we produced was a lousy WoW clone circa 2008 thread.

Hey now that's not fair

WoW had a moddable interface and combat log in 2008

Honestly if SWTOR just had wow level quality of life stuff you wouldn't be able to tear me away from it until I had like four or five 50s

override367 on
  • Options
    Or any quality of life stuff at all. That's hyperbole, but still.

Does anybody intend to play a ranger or necromancer? Can't recall anybody saying as much.

• Options

Does anybody intend to play a ranger or necromancer? Can't recall anybody saying as much.

<----

Charr mesmer, asura ranger, sylvari necromancer, as I mentioned a few days ago. And they will all be awesome.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular

I think I'll give Ranger a shot, though no idea what race, just want to put the White Raven to use. Necro's a maybe.... only having 5 slots is going to make picking a class to main a drag.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I would like to make a ranger alt after I get my engineer main and first alt warrior to a nice place. Then a guardian. Then the other stuff.

I'm going to have a epic case of altitis in this I just know it. But only after I get a character high level/to cap.

And they will all have the same last name to make identification easier and such.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm definitely rolling a norn necromancer. Charm/cunning/revenge/vision of Raven, some combination of scepter, warhorn and daggers, some combination of Blood Magic, Curses and Soul Reaping. Lich Form elite. I am going to be unkillable. It's going to be really, really obnoxious in PvP, and not generally being a PvP player, I'm surprised by how much of a motivating factor that is.

I need this game. It won't make me less of a loser, but actually playing it instead of just sitting around thinking about it will make me feel like less of one.

Edit: Yeah, I mean a norn necromancer. WTF, hands? My mesmer will be human.

Architeuthis Dux on
  • Options
    ^Guess you mean Norn Necromancer?

I know I'll be making at least a Human Necromancer, named for my Ritualist who I played a lot as a minion master, and a Norn Warrior. Other three slots would be up in the air.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

Sylvari necromancer, norn guardian and human warrior.

26904.png
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    I'm gonna roll a Sylvari ritualist.

I will find a way.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    I'm gonna roll...

I'm gonna...

I'm gonna spend hours in character creation deciding, is what I'm undoubtedly going to end up doing.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Gonna stream some SMP Minecraft here in a min, I haven't had the inclination to stream lately since GW2 is draining my desire to play pretty much anything else. But rest assured, I can't wait to stream GW2 on a regular basis once the game goes live/NDA free beta. twitch.tv/corehealer

Also, my characters have names now, such is my obsession with GW2 at this point. I'm going to create and play them all during beta if I can. What I have so far:

Trajan Corehealer - Charr Engineer - Main
    Sarah Corehealer (using my GW Nightfall Ritualist name) - Human Warrior - First Alt
    Azrael Corehealer - Asura Guardian - Alt
    Rivenara Corehealer - Norn Ranger - Alt
    Unnamed Sylvari Elementalist
    And the rest, haven't decided on race and class combos or names, though I'm leaning towards making my Thief a gunslinging Clint Eastwood type character and having a female Charr something.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Caedere wrote: »
    Rewarding exceptional play is the same as punishing bad play in a video game. There's no way for the game to know if you played exceptionally, unless it's designed to be so difficult that only those who play exceptionally well can succeed, at which point that's the exact same thing as punishing poor play.

This is nonsense. For example: In dungeons, the game rewards good play by allowing players who excel additional, cosmetic rewards that you gain from Exploration Mode. Players who are merely okay will get the baseline token from Story Mode.

I doubt it's going to take exceptional play to beat exploration modes of dungeons. Maybe it'll take more than just being absolutely terrible, but that's like saying wow's heroic 5 mans reward exceptional play. No, there are some people who are so bad they can't do them, but that doesn't mean you're exceptional if you can.

In MMOs, exceptional players just have an easier time doing things that merely good ones. Judicious use of CC/stuns/control abilities, and understanding when to use your stuff is rewarded in an easier clear of dungeons or raids or whatever, but that doesn't mean you're being rewarded. You just have an easier time. Ex: hard mode karagga's palace, our tank goes down due to a healer getting hit by a stun droid and a bad streak of hits on the solo tank who had no armor due to the debuff. The sentinel gets agro and pops guarded by the force at like 10% health and tanks it long enough to battle rez the tank and we go on to win instead of wipe. We didn't get rewarded for that exceptional play, we just didn't wipe.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    I don't know, from what we've heard which is sadly little, exploration modes are -balls- hard. We'll get to see firsthand when TB uploads his footage of an exploration clear I suppose.

• Options
    Xagar wrote: »
    If you read the comments apparently it was a comment taken in the wrong way. It's just a server browser, and you can make a private server that they host, just like a large amount of other MP games.

That's disappointing. Oh well, that isn't a huge loss, but it would have been nice to easily set up your own tournaments that your own server handled.

• Options

I doubt it's going to take exceptional play to beat exploration modes of dungeons. Maybe it'll take more than just being absolutely terrible, but that's like saying wow's heroic 5 mans reward exceptional play. No, there are some people who are so bad they can't do them, but that doesn't mean you're exceptional if you can.

In MMOs, exceptional players just have an easier time doing things that merely good ones. Judicious use of CC/stuns/control abilities, and understanding when to use your stuff is rewarded in an easier clear of dungeons or raids or whatever, but that doesn't mean you're being rewarded. You just have an easier time. Ex: hard mode karagga's palace, our tank goes down due to a healer getting hit by a stun droid and a bad streak of hits on the solo tank who had no armor due to the debuff. The sentinel gets agro and pops guarded by the force at like 10% health and tanks it long enough to battle rez the tank and we go on to win instead of wipe. We didn't get rewarded for that exceptional play, we just didn't wipe.

(Holy shit, the quote function is crazy... you tried to ninja-edit and I'm quoting that instead of the post that I can see, which only has a couple of sentences)

WoW's heroic modes did require exceptional play—depending on which expansion and which patch you are referring to.

BC heroics before the first content patch? Fucking brutal.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    BC Heroics were brutal because of the insane amount of CC requirements. As a warlock I was king of the freakin world.

Luckily GW2 doesn't have anywhere near the amount of CC that other games have, but that also makes dungeon runs more problematic when everything can near-rape you.

• Options

(Holy shit, the quote function is crazy... you tried to ninja-edit and I'm quoting that instead of the post that I can see, which only has a couple of sentences)

WoW's heroic modes did require exceptional play—depending on which expansion and which patch you are referring to.

BC heroics before the first content patch? Fucking brutal.

*Eyes go dull and lifeless from sudden memories of all three Tempest Keep instances. Oh he didn't have a flying mount yet either.*

*_*

• Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Also, my characters have names now, such is my obsession with GW2 at this point.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who's already coming up with names. I have one character in mind with a single-word name which is an unusual (though valid) spelling of a real (though uncommon) name, and I am experiencing nail-biting anxiety about someone beating me to the punch.

• Options
    Also, my characters have names now, such is my obsession with GW2 at this point.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who's already coming up with names. I have one character in mind with a single-word name which is an unusual (though valid) spelling of a real (though uncommon) name, and I am experiencing nail-biting anxiety about someone beating me to the punch.

Unfortunately I can't reserve one of the names I want to use because someone already used that name. IIRC only names linked to the Hall of Monuments are reserved, is that correct?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Also, my characters have names, background info, detailed personality descriptions, and fanart now, such is my obsession with GW2 at this point. I'm going to create and play them all during beta if I can.

Fixed that to describe me. ;D

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    I might roll a necromancer this time around. Haven't decided which race for it, though.

I'm not sure if names are reserved based on if they've traveled to the Hall themselves (meaning it's not reserved unless you've been there) or if they're tied to an account that has the Hall accessible.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    Also, my characters have names, background info, detailed personality descriptions, and fanart now, such is my obsession with GW2 at this point. I'm going to create and play them all during beta if I can.

Fixed that to describe me. ;D

I'm working on all those actually.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Rednaz wrote: »

Unfortunately I can't reserve one of the names I want to use because someone already used that name. IIRC only names linked to the Hall of Monuments are reserved, is that correct?

From the FAQ:
    Can I play my original Guild Wars character in Guild Wars 2?

Guild Wars 2 is a whole new game with different professions and races, new technology, and expanded gameplay. It is not possible to directly use an original Guild Wars character.

However, your original Guild Wars character names will be reserved for your use in Guild Wars 2. The Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars 2 recognizes the accomplishments commemorated by your original Guild Wars characters and provides you with unique rewards to showcase those achievements.

Now that I'm looking at it, I honestly don't know. I originally quoted the last two sentences out of context, which makes it look like the answer is yes, but in context these could easily just be two unrelated statements about how your GW1 character's legacy will carry forward into the new game. You may be SOL.

This discussion has been closed.