As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]GuildWarLands 2: 96.5% more wuvwuv PRE-ORDER DETAILS IN OP OMGYES!

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    But its not really. its nothing like wow at all, and a lot of people are going to be shocked when they find that out.
    The only things that make gw2 even slightly more like wow than gw1 is the move to persistant world and a talent like system.

I came to a realization today. I have been spending almost all my hom time in gw1 pvping because I am enjoying the shit out of it. And I realized why. This is the first online rpg game I have enjoyed pvp in since asherons call. This is because unlike every game since wow that tries to include pvp has tried to inject the progression bullshit from eq into the pvp. Gw1 doesnt have that. I have the capability to pvp on the same level as anyone else having onlu been doing it for days. My only limitation is knowledge, not power. I missed that about pvp. I havent experienced that since ac. I am looking forward to that in gw2.
    I found pvping while leveling in those other mmos like wow and rift to be enjoyable. Then max level hit and it was stupid, obnoxious, and far from fun. It was the job that pve was in those games. I pvped to avoid that, and I wasnt able to avoid it.

Long story short I am getting more than I could have ever imagined for my money for gw1 when all I wanted was to build hom with a game I could play as a relaxed single player experience but still socialize. Knowing gw2 will deliver everything I have been experience but 100 times better is making me salivate in my pants.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I've watched enough of the GW2 videos to tell you that it's more like WoW than it is like GW1. I'm not talking about the content, either. I'm just talking about the gameplay. How you control your character is going to be very familiar to anybody who has played WoW.

In terms of what I actually do in the game, GW2 is going to be an entirely new thing, because I will probably spend more time doing WvWvW than anything else. Just the idea of having that as my "end game" is extremely exciting to me. It's only better because I won't be waiting until max level to do it, but rather just all the time.

Hell, the explorable mode dungeons and just running around are equally exciting. Who am I kidding, GW2 is just my most anticipated game in about as long as I can remember.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    the best part of the fissure of woe is that quest where like eight of those spiteful spirit necromancers spawn at once and run at you while you're already fighting another group

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I've watched enough of the GW2 videos to tell you that it's more like WoW than it is like GW1. I'm not talking about the content, either. I'm just talking about the gameplay. How you control your character is going to be very familiar to anybody who has played WoW.
    Sure. For starters, GW2, like WoW, allows you to travel along the Z axis, not just fire projectiles along it.

Remember how much fun Fissure of Woe was, with its impassable knee high hills?

I sure fucking don't! :x

EDIT: The disconnect between the new smileys and the menu interface continues to boggle.

naengwen on
  • Options
    the best part of the fissure of woe is that quest where like eight of those spiteful spirit necromancers spawn at once and run at you while you're already fighting another group

Augh, no, stop, I'm sorry I brought it up

• Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular

Be more specific. Which gameplay are you talking about? The fact that you can jump now? The z-axis? You can't just say the gameplay is more like WoW than GW1. Be specific.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Good news everyone, Yogscast is making a game.

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    All these kickstarter games are getting out of hand.

• Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    Kickstarters sucks for games, honestly, because the time between donation and receiving your product is just too long.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Quintessin wrote: »
    Good news everyone, Yogscast is making a game.

Augh, noooo. Kill it with fire.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2012
    And exactly how do they intend to accomplish that? I'll just assume they have no programming experience. Kickstart it and hire programmer/s? I doubt that ever leads anywhere.

edit: okay, they're paying a small studio. Welp.

Echo on
  • Options
    Except for a youtube account, can't find any actual information on this "winterkewl" company. I don't see why people would be giving money for a game backed by a video making site designed by a company with what seems to be no actual experience.

Plus, what little information I could get said they were just ripping off minecraft. I don't know if this last bit is actually true though.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Gotta say I've been warming to the yogscast people recently, no fucking idea how this will turn out though.

It is kinda concerning to see so many people paying for a game before it's even begun development these days but I guess it's not my business how other folks want to spend their money.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Anyway, back to GW2. There's a Kickstarter thread in G&T to continue that line.

• Options
    Cool.

@Arthil, there's a broken image tag on the OP.

Also, got my collector's edition preorderpurchase thingy handled from Gamestop. First preorder I've made with them in 4 years, give or take. Are they gonna e-mail something out on the 10th that we have to type in, or do we have to head back to the store and ask for it, or are they just gonna ask for some number on the receipt for verification? I don't know if I have an e-mail addy on whatever Gamestop linked my purchase to.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    I think you need to go into the store on the 10th. Which is what i'm going to do.

• Options
    naengwen wrote: »
    Cool.

@Arthil, there's a broken image tag on the OP.

Also, got my collector's edition preorderpurchase thingy handled from Gamestop. First preorder I've made with them in 4 years, give or take. Are they gonna e-mail something out on the 10th that we have to type in, or do we have to head back to the store and ask for it, or are they just gonna ask for some number on the receipt for verification? I don't know if I have an e-mail addy on whatever Gamestop linked my purchase to.

Thought I mentioned this to you when we were talking about it earlier this week. When I made my pre-purchase, the guy asked for my email for their records, and mentioned that they might just email the beta code but he wasn't sure. I'm just going to go back to the store on Tuesday unless I see it in my email that morning.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @naengwen Can't do anything about that, don't got the source image.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    @naengwen Can't do anything about that, don't got the source image.

I'll try and fix it or replace it in the next thread iteration.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Rednaz wrote: »

Be more specific. Which gameplay are you talking about? The fact that you can jump now? The z-axis? You can't just say the gameplay is more like WoW than GW1. Be specific.

I think its felt that any game that has a ui like wow, plays like wow.

wow doesn't have the same concept to its gameplay though. There are no true projectiles in wow. This was in place in GW1 as well. This was something I missed about games since AC and never made sense to me that we for some reason regressed from something like that.

Combat is less about how many abilities can you fit into a set time like it is in wow. In GW1, and what seems to be the case in GW2, you have enough cooldowns and in the case of GW1, an energy bar, to make it more about when you use things, not how often.

Those are just a few examples. Sure, it will most likely "feel" right at home to people who played wow as opposed to GW1. But thats because the user interface in GW1 was pretty archaic with awkward targetting and limited movement options. But those had less to do with the gameplay and more to do with how someone connects with the game. Yeah GW1 was hard to click with compared to a streamlined game like wow, and GW2 seems to be much more streamlined in ways wow is currently.

however, while wow had z axis movement it was more often irrelevant as you never really achieved anything out of jumping sans exploration, and most of what you achieved there was getting places you weren't supposed to anyway. Maybe some of the flying shit was meaningful Z axis, but there is no flying in GW2. The closest thing to that would be underwater I guess.

When it comes to the feel of gameplay I would agree GW2 will "feel" much more like wow than GW1, which isn't saying much. But the actual content of the gameplay (and not content as in what you are doing, like WvWvW or pve etc) will be much more akin to GW1 in how you should play the game, but massively expanded. I see it in the PVP vids. Its why the game seems more action oriented.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Rednaz wrote: »

I think its felt that any game that has a ui like wow, plays like wow.

What does this mean? Are you saying, "Any game that, like WoW, has a UI" or "Any game that has a UI that looks and feels like the UI that WoW has"? Because neither of those really make sense.

GW2's UI isn't the same as WoW's. There are games that do that (*cough*SWTOR*cough) but this game isn't one of them.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    *Smacks Caedere with a salmon*

They're saying exactly what they are saying, people will see a row of bars and think "hurhurWoW" cause some people have no business being anywhere near a keyboard.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular

They're saying exactly what they are saying, people will see a row of bars and think "hurhurWoW" cause some people have no business being anywhere near a keyboard.

I just had salmon for dinner tonight for a friend's birthday dinner.

It was incredible.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Its hard to say, I am using the term "ui" losely. I mean how you interact with the game. The user to game connection of GW1 was very clunky and didn't feel comfortable in many ways, but does the job fine once you get used to it (sans targetting, targetting never really feels right to me)

The upgraded user to game connection of GW2 seems to be closer to that "I played wow will this feel right" setup. In short, its cleaner and more user friendly. Thats really what WoW was known for and the reason it is so copied.

However the point I was making was, when you jump into GW1 you know damn well you aren't playing anything at all like wow. In GW2, it looks more like if you jumped in it will make someone who played wow feel more at home. But the game doesn't play like wow at all. The mentality is different, the mechanics are different, the intentions of the developer for how the game should be played (and how it is setup to be played) is different. Its prolly why there was such a ruckus over how the game wasn't actiony enough and it was boring. A lot of people see 1 skill with no CD and go back to the wow mentality of "I can do this the most, its obiously OP, why do anything else because the damage is the same right?"

Im going off on a tangent here though. playing GW1 is making me realize I made a mistake going to wow and even though I did enjoy it, I forced myself to enjoy it. I forced myself to go against my AC roots because EQ won and that was the MMO we had to play. I made myself like the pvp because it was all we were getting.

I never gave GW the chance and I now realize (even though I am playing a product 6+ years later that has been polished to hell and back) I didn't have to accept that type of game. And GW2 will at least continue to satiate that joy of PVP due to not having the EQ PVE grind aspect thrown on top of it like any other MMO does with its PVP (such as wow arena gear, rift ranks, and whatever this shit of TOTOR has).

Also I had a very difficult time tearing myself away from my pvp char to continue with Nightfall. The only saving grace is my hero setups are complete for 7 hero support, so the game is a joke now. But the bad thing is I am at that point in nightfall where I have to grind out sunspear rep to continue, which is saddening.

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »

I just had salmon for dinner tonight for a friend's birthday dinner.

It was incredible.

OOOOO... Arthil's gonna be so jealooooouuus.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Its hard to say, I am using the term "ui" losely. I mean how you interact with the game. The user to game connection of GW1 was very clunky and didn't feel comfortable in many ways, but does the job fine once you get used to it (sans targetting, targetting never really feels right to me)

The upgraded user to game connection of GW2 seems to be closer to that "I played wow will this feel right" setup. In short, its cleaner and more user friendly. Thats really what WoW was known for and the reason it is so copied.

However the point I was making was, when you jump into GW1 you know damn well you aren't playing anything at all like wow. In GW2, it looks more like if you jumped in it will make someone who played wow feel more at home. But the game doesn't play like wow at all. The mentality is different, the mechanics are different, the intentions of the developer for how the game should be played (and how it is setup to be played) is different. Its prolly why there was such a ruckus over how the game wasn't actiony enough and it was boring. A lot of people see 1 skill with no CD and go back to the wow mentality of "I can do this the most, its obiously OP, why do anything else because the damage is the same right?"

Why would a WoW player think like that at all? It'd be the opposite generally. Anything that is spammable and auto-attack, your first instinct would be that it's low damage filler.

The complaints were the opposite, about it being tons of damage for being spammable and that there was no rotation with the rest of your skills or no point to one. Which is as much a GW1 mentality as a WoW mentality, since GW1 builds are based heavily on synergy between skills.

I'd agree with your earlier point though. GW2 looks like WoW in a good way. The movement and combat looks responsive and familiar and workable. That was probably the best thing about the feel of WoW that so many other MMOs just failed at implementing. The rest of the design seems very GW1 though. Right down to the crafting system from what we've heard, with salvaging and scraps and such. They replicated the important part of WoW while still making the game their own.

shryke on
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Can someone tell me if you have to pre-purchase a collector's edition (Box or digital) to get the beta access and headstart or can it be the regular one too? As someone else mentioned, for me there isn't enough in the CE to make me want it (I like statues but I'm not a charr fellow so the statue means nothing to me)

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Nyht wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if you have to pre-purchase a collector's edition (Box or digital) to get the beta access and headstart or can it be the regular one too? As someone else mentioned, for me there isn't enough in the CE to make me want it (I like statues but I'm not a charr fellow so the statue means nothing to me)

Pre-purchase of any version gets you Beta access.

http://buy.guildwars2.com has all the details.

shryke on
  • Options
    you can prepurchase any edition, including standard, and you get full BWE access and the 3 day headstart.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Why would a WoW player think like that at all? It'd be the opposite generally. Anything that is spammable and auto-attack, your first instinct would be that it's low damage filler.

The complaints were the opposite, about it being tons of damage for being spammable and that there was no rotation with the rest of your skills or no point to one. Which is as much a GW1 mentality as a WoW mentality, since GW1 builds are based heavily on synergy between skills.

I'd agree with your earlier point though. GW2 looks like WoW in a good way. The movement and combat looks responsive and familiar and workable. That was probably the best thing about the feel of WoW that so many other MMOs just failed at implementing. The rest of the design seems very GW1 though. Right down to the crafting system from what we've heard, with salvaging and scraps and such. They replicated the important part of WoW while still making the game their own.

This basically supports what I was saying though. Just looking at the skills on the wiki and builders its obvious skills werent made for rotations and synergy. Skills are options that are answers to situations that come up on the fly, not a set of abilities that are to be chained together in a synergistic order for max dps. Thats the wow mentality I mentioned.

Just the quick looks I had at the skillsets of various weapon combos showed lots of skills that have added effects on them. This seems to be because you choose the skill as an answer to a situation, and you have sets of different answers.

Im not denying the game isnt going to have elaborate combos. But unlike wow, its not based around rotations and skills that are reliant on skills that are reliant on skills. This is why when a wow player sees a high damage spammable ability (not JUST spammable) they think pssshhhh this is too simple. Its a mindset.

I can see you saying that exsists in GW1, but only if you want it to. The better builds seems to revolve around having tons of interrupts, conditions, and condition removals to handle what is being thrown at you. I haven't seen any speed clear / farm setups that arent specifically geared towards answering a specific missions challenges and instead are build entirely around 10 abilities that synergize the most for raw damage anywhere sans some older elementalist ones. And even those take advantage of conditions that elementalists have in spades.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    guys it's the 7th

the 10th is in three days

the 10th

is in

three

days

!

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

This basically supports what I was saying though. Just looking at the skills on the wiki and builders its obvious skills werent made for rotations and synergy. Skills are options that are answers to situations that come up on the fly, not a set of abilities that are to be chained together in a synergistic order for max dps. Thats the wow mentality I mentioned.

Just the quick looks I had at the skillsets of various weapon combos showed lots of skills that have added effects on them. This seems to be because you choose the skill as an answer to a situation, and you have sets of different answers.

Im not denying the game isnt going to have elaborate combos. But unlike wow, its not based around rotations and skills that are reliant on skills that are reliant on skills. This is why when a wow player sees a high damage spammable ability (not JUST spammable) they think pssshhhh this is too simple. Its a mindset.

Lack of elaborate combos does make games feel spammy though. Ability combos exist in games to keep you interested in the combat and reward skillful usage of abilities.

Abilities meant for specific situations that come up are utility skills. That's basically what utility skills are.

They are important to have in a game, but the issue is if the appropriate situation doesn't arise, they aren't used and you are just left with your damage abilities. And that's why games generally have a rotation of sorts for damage abilities, so you are always using some variety of abilities in any fight.

I can see you saying that exsists in GW1, but only if you want it to. The better builds seems to revolve around having tons of interrupts, conditions, and condition removals to handle what is being thrown at you. I haven't seen any speed clear / farm setups that arent specifically geared towards answering a specific missions challenges and instead are build entirely around 10 abilities that synergize the most for raw damage anywhere sans some older elementalist ones. And even those take advantage of conditions that elementalists have in spades.

Wha? GW1 builds are almost all built around some fundamental synergy between a set of skills. Usually based around an Elite. Your build is very focused around using specifics skills in a specific way so they all add up to massive ... whatever your goal is.

• Options
    Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

!

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    My wife and I are making a day of it. She's going to get her hair cut all fancy and then it's off to Gamestop for her to pre-order. I'll be doing digital from Arenanet myself

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    I'm more excited for what will come weeks after the 10th

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Man, if I wasn't already pre-purchasing the game I'd be mad I didn't go to PAX after ArenaNet said they wouldn't be there and then have some employees be there handing out beta invitations.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Looks like we won't be getting a release date on the 10th. (From post by Mike OBrien on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/rx4yo/prepurchasing_the_collectors_edition/)

It's not like we have a secret release date and we're not telling you. We meant what we said: we'll release the game when it's ready. And beta testing is where we find out if it's ready.

Right now all I care about is the BWE though 8-)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    Hey is this thing out yet?

No?

I'll check back later.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    guys it's the 7th

the 10th

is in

three

days

!

The countdown

To

the countdown

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    guys it's the 7th

the 10th

is in

three

days

!

The countdown

To

the countdown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Then we get more countdowns to beta weekends. Sooo much waitiiing.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

This discussion has been closed.