As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Regrets. The one that got away.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I regret not being more assertive with my mom about wanting to go to community college after high school. I ended up going to a university on the other side of the state and flunking my first semester (but I did get that CHM 151 credit!). I'm reasonably certain my life would be quite a bit better if I'd gone to CC instead, taken time to figure out what I wanted to do, and then transferred and done it.

That's one of about half a dozen times in my life that I can look back and identify as decisions that shaped my life more significantly than I ever could have realized.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I regret killing that kid. It really screwed up my Boy Band career.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I will say it again.

Do not regret that shit.

Feel sorry for those guys for being so ridiculous.

• Options
    Wait what the fuck? Damnit I've been up for 22 hours don't fuck with me!

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I've felt like I'm not welcome at social events since I was born. Though at the same time when I am at social events I'm just completely bored by everyone around me, not to mention put off by the horrendous insecurity that plagues my generation (i just turned 23). The legions of marketing and business-type people my age that I've met at parties/bars over the years make me feel like I'm from a different planet sometimes.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    maybe someday I'll turn into a swan

oh god

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    I regret not being more assertive with my mom about wanting to go to community college after high school. I ended up going to a university on the other side of the state and flunking my first semester (but I did get that CHM 151 credit!). I'm reasonably certain my life would be quite a bit better if I'd gone to CC instead, taken time to figure out what I wanted to do, and then transferred and done it.

That's one of about half a dozen times in my life that I can look back and identify as decisions that shaped my life more significantly than I ever could have realized.

Go back home and go to CC now. There's always time to change things. How old are you, anyway?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I regret so many things

so many

maybe when I get back home I'll do a proper list

right now, "the entire course of my life, from kindergarten to adulthood" is a nice sum-up

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

Go back home and go to CC now. There's always time to change things. How old are you, anyway?

31 and about 2/3 through my associate's in network technology.

That was over a decade ago.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I just wander round wanting to fuck things and fuck up things apparently.

Pfff, you say it like it's a bad thing.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I just thought I thought about sport a lot.

That lady I looked at with the blue rinse today though.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I do feel that people who think they've wasted so much time by playing video games are being way too hard on themselves. Gaming is a hobby just like anything else. If you enjoy it and it didn't fuck up school or work, it's not a problem. If it did fuck up school or work, that can be said of any hobby someone is too involved in. There is nothing more inherently self-loathing worthy about gaming, as I see it. It's not like you're an alcoholic. I also think it's dishonest when anyone says that games stop them from making friends. The game doesn't, you do. Pause it and go out, it'll be waiting for you when you get back.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Stopping the writing on my comic project, that never ever got anywhere.

Three or four years ago I was still working on it. Pushing myself to keeping writing it was exhausting, mentally. But it was getting somewhere. I was starting to find a rhythm, a routine to it. But I just couldn't keep it up. Or I didn't want to.

Either way, I took a break from it. And I just never got back to it. :/

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I regret not learning to be more social when I was younger.

Now I don't really know how to talk to strangers very well, conversations just have all these awkward silences where I try (and fail) to think of something interesting to say, and if they are a better conversation starter than I am it makes me feel like a boring loser in comparison since they are the one putting all the effort in.

Also I am self-conscious of my awful voice which just makes things worse.

broken image link
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    if you run out of things to say, ask people about themselves, preferably on a topic they've already mentioned so you're not quizzing them out of the blue. Most people quite like talking about themselves.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    yes it is a lifesaver

or awkwardnesssaver

• Options
    Yeah that's what everyone says, but I am always lost as to what I can ask about them without it sounding like a job interview or whatever.

broken image link
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    if you run out of things to say, ask people about themselves, preferably on a topic they've already mentioned so you're not quizzing them out of the blue. Most people quite like talking about themselves.

Or just touch their clothes.

• Options
    Great conversation continuer.

"Why are you touching me."

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    you get really close to them and stick the tip of your tongue out and just

boop right on the nose

• Options
    Yeah that's what everyone says, but I am always lost as to what I can ask about them without it sounding like a job interview or whatever.

So what else do you do?

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    I regret those meals out at restaurants where i don't get a dessert

I regret those days where I skip my after work exercise/workout session because i'm feeling lazy and just plop myself in front of the tv and eat ice cream. just do it, you lazybutt

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options

look, nobody expects to have an instant rapport with strangers. The other person is just as worried about the conversation being awkward as you are, so if it does come out a bit forced it doesn't matter too much. At least you're trying, in most cases the intent will be sufficient and things will eventually flow more naturally as you find topics in common. Mostly stranger chats are about whiling away the time so you don't sit with someone in awkward silence, so there will be an eventual end point in any case.

• Options

So what else do you do?

mostly just sit there with a deer-in-headlights look

broken image link
  • Options
    Ask them what their favourite cupcake is.

• Options
    Watch this.

I will talk to lost like a boss.

"WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CUPCAKE LOST."

• Options
    in school we used to try and come up with great conversation starters because teenagers are awkward and never know what to say to each other.

My friend's winning line was "Hey, did you know this week is wet dream awareness week?"

• Options
    Oh gosh what if he doesn't answer back.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I regret that I don't have a very clear direction in life. I study Computer Science and get pretty good grades but still have no idea what the shit I want to do with it.
    I regret that I annually withdraw myself from all but necessary social interaction for a couple of months and have to learn how to talk to people again.
    I regret that I haven't been spending much time with my longest friend in the lead up to his potentially two year trip to North America.
    At any given time I regret being the person I was 2 months ago. I suppose this means I'm growing as a person or something.

Sometimes I regret how tiny I am. But then I remember to not give a fuck about that one.

• Options
    in school we used to try and come up with great conversation starters because teenagers are awkward and never know what to say to each other.

My friend's winning line was "Hey, did you know this week is wet dream awareness week?"

Thanks, I will try this on the next lady I meet.

broken image link
  • Options

Thanks, I will try this on the next lady I meet.

it will quickly weed out those without a sense of humour.

You're welcome!

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    See, I have the opposite problem, in that sometimes I don't want to talk to people and I am pretty comfortable just lettin' that silence streeeetch.

I am basically a giant asshole.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Just walk up to a lady and ask them how much a polar bear weighs.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Shit I almost forgot how I regret falling asleep in almost every class I have at university.
    Lectures at least. If people dim the lights I just pass the fuck out.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    See, I have the opposite problem, in that sometimes I don't want to talk to people and I am pretty comfortable just lettin' that silence streeeetch.

I am basically a giant asshole.

nah that's me
    if they want me to talk to them they should try being more interesting.

• Options
    I'm fucking fascinating.

I'm like a half hour conversation easily.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Just walk up to a lady and ask them how much a polar bear weighs.

ENOUGH TO BREAK THE ICE??

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Oh oh oh I finally got one

I regret

Letting my ankle get infected to the point of surgery and months of steroids and rehabilitation!

That was really dumb of me!

On the other hand, I am now a dab hand at wound dressing and treatment, and I go to the doctor regularly, and those are good things

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    liiya

you're a god. ... dess?

edited for extra d. Man, stupid edit signal coming back.

tynic on