As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

books

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    you know

for a book called red white and BLOOD that's about a vampire bound by voodoo to serve the office of the us president fighting a psychic parasite that turns people into slasher monsters

this book is way better than it has any right to be

it's smart enough to connect itself to slashers obliquely

and then says "and serial killers are a cult that worships it" and uses specific famous ones as examples

the zodiac, btk, and bundy have all been specifically mentioned and i'm sure there's more that i've missed

dude knows how to build some shit up which is surprising considering the last book started with bin laden turning into a lizardman and fighitng the vampire

Buttlord on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Buttlord wrote: »
    who

sanderson or butcher

butcher i don't even give a fuck, i've been reading these books since high school and won't ever stop

Butcher.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i kinda wanna read these hilarious vampire terrorist novels

scratch that i kinda wanna write them

the usa's top secret vampire agent is torn between love of a beautiful but deadly terrorist and love of his country

maybe the terrorist is a djinn? that's islamic right

• Options
    see here's a thing i like

all of the crazy shit in these books is either from existing fiction or it's an old folklore or urban legend or something

the vampire being pardoned by jackson?
    The Portuguese sailor James Brown is caught on a fishing boat in Boston Harbor drinking blood from the neck of another sailor, the second of two men he slaughtered that day. He was placed in an insane asylum, after his death sentence was commuted by President Andrew Jackson, and commenced to attack inmates.

the name is changed in the books but yeah this is the backstory for the character

they're really cheesy and goofy but they're not badly written and they're not xenophobic or OORAH AMERICA NUMBER ONE or anything

shit one of the chapter leads in this one is a fake excerpt from Colbert Report and he does an absolute spot-on imitation of colbert's persona's voice, the best i've ever seen

i think farnsworth just wants to write crazy over the top action stories about a secret organization using the occult to bring down america and a vampire getting in fistfights with zombies/lizardmen/the boogeyman

• Options
    sounds like the dude should write comics

• Options
    he'd probably be in the same vein as jason aaron

i love it though, there's all these references to cade being the king shit badass who has fucked up every supernatural horror ever

jason voorhees, freddy krueger, the fish-people of innsmouth

and those are just off the top of my head

if i sat down with google and the scenes in his "trophy room" i could probably find more

• Options
    looking this up now

NATHANIEL CADE, THE PRESIDENT'S VAMPIRE

that is a goddamned incredible pitch. i may have to read these.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Suspicions confirmed

At the perfect spot to drop a conservative rant he instead went with all of those guys are hypocrites they're just too dumb to know it

After a jab at people who think Obama is the antichrist earlier in the book

Farnsworth owns

The book is dumb, but deliberately so. And intelligently

Buttlord on
  • Options
    recommending that shit to book club

• Options
    Start with the first one
    Font ask me what that one is

Tomorrow I'll do a post about why sandman slim owns too

Hintit too is a stupid series of action stories but without the self-awareness of Farnsworth books

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Suspicions confirmed

At the perfect spot to drop a conservative rant he instead went with all of those guys are hypocrites they're just too dumb to know it

Farnsworth owns

that's kind of amazing

• Options
    Suspicions confirmed

Farnsworth owns

that's kind of amazing

honestly after the first two were just schlocky action stuff i was expecting him to pull a brad thor and go OORAH AMERICA OWNS FUCK YOU YOU GODLESS COMMIE FUCKS 0B(S)AMA IS NOT MY (P)RESIDENT

but no

went the complete opposite way with it

y'all should do The President's Vampire (think that's the first one) as a book club book

it'll take an hour to read

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What's with spelling President that way

if it's supposed to be a pun or something I'm not getting it

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What's with spelling President that way

if it's supposed to be a pun or something I'm not getting it

he isn't really the president because he's a stealth kenyan inflitrator muslin commie terrorist SATANIST GING-GING KILLING TRAITOR

so he's the resident

or (p)resident

• Options
    Resident
    That's their idea of a clever jab

That's even less clever than the other ones

• Options
    the fresh prince of bill ayers is the best one

i mean

come on

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    the fresh prince of bill ayers is the best one

i mean

come on

oh my god

• Options
    I KNOW

• Options
    edited May 2012
    oh my god you guys

the climactic fight of this book

spoilers for the end but holy shit it's worth clicking i promise
    knock down drag out fight between totally-not-Jason and the vampire

aboard air force one

in midair

INCREDIBLE

Buttlord on
  • Options
    So I just finished The Wind Through The Keyhole

It was pretty awesome

• Options
    oh shit the epilogue for red white and blood

shit is so fucking real right now

so real

holy shit guys read these books

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    Yeah the first Mistborn book was good times.

Also The Way of Kings was really good, but it's like, part one of ten, so that's kind of frustrating. The next book in the series isn't due out untill January 2013, what with all his other engagements, so we're talking, what, 20-30 years for the series to finish?

I read an interview or blog post or something recently, he said that it's two sequences of five books, each book has an arc of flashbacks focusing on one hero, and side characters are confined to the interludes. So hopefully the middle of the series won't be dragged down by subplots, supporting characters, and cliffhangers.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

so real

How high are you, bro?

• Options

so real

How high are you, bro?

just high on life (i don't do drugs taht aren't the booze)

but really the end of Red White and BLOOD is incredible, the next book is going to be intense
    the VP, who was working for the secret shadow government that is trying to bring down amrerica, just killed the president

meaning the vampire now has to follow orders from the people he's supposed to be fighting against

unironically looking forward to the fourth cade book

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder to the happy people of the Book Club that we are voting on our next book now. If you cheat I will find you and beat you.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    At some point this weekend while sick I was conscious enough to pay for the newest Ciaphas Cain Warhammer 40k book and get through like 2 chapters, according to my nook. I can't remember anything at all about this event though, and certainly not the contents of the two chapters. Oh well, I wanted the book anyway so it works out.

And yes, you all should listen to Lost, she'll totally do it.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    After how short Gentlemen of the Road was, I figure I'll read the top two or three books, depending on how long they are.

The only book on the list that I've already read is Watership Down, and frankly it's so good I'd love it if it won, just so I could discuss it with people.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    At some point this weekend while sick I was conscious enough to pay for the newest Ciaphas Cain Warhammer 40k book and get through like 2 chapters, according to my nook. I can't remember anything at all about this event though, and certainly not the contents of the two chapters. Oh well, I wanted the book anyway so it works out.

And yes, you all should listen to Lost, she'll totally do it.

Which one is the newest one?

The problem with Warhammer series is I always leave them after I've caught up with the latest, and then I come across some new book in a series I like (Gaunt's Ghost, Cain, Gotrek & Felix) and I can't remember if I've read it or bought it or what.

Very frustrating.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm reading this book right now

I think I might be going insane

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hah!

So everyone did a good job voting on the book club books. So good a job that now instead of a small tie we have a larger tie. Oops!

I am posting this here as an open vote.

I will also message the book club thread separately because there's nothing like some overkill.

Let's give it til Wednesday morning, 5:00 a.m. EST. I say this because that is when I get home from work, and I am bossy like a mofo.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm halfway through the third Hunger Games book. The first two took me a day each, this one has taken me 4 and I'm only 55% done. You know why?

Spoilered because I know some people are reading the second book as we speak:
    Because it sucks. Katniss' transformation from Buffy to Bella is complete and now instead of a story about how the kick-ass, rough and tumble Katniss survives a horrible experience, we have a romance plot that is Twilight levels of creepy. Let me quote you a section, just for reference:

We pluck in silence for a while longer. Then he says, "I saw Peeta yesterday. Through the glass."

"What'd you think?" I ask.

"Something selfish," says Gale.

"That you don't have to be jealous of him anymore?" My fingers give a yank, and a cloud of feathers floats down around us.

"No. Just the opposite." Gale pulls a feather out of my hair. "I thought... I'll never compete with that. No matter how much pain I'm in." He spins the feather between his thumb and forefinger. "I don't stand a chance if he doesn't get better. You'll never be able to let him go. You'll always feel wrong about being with me."

"The way I always felt wrong kissing him because of you," I say.

Gale holds my gaze. "If I thought that was true, I could almost live with the rest of it."

"It is true," I admit. "But so is what you said about Peeta."

Gale makes a sound of exasperation. Nonetheless, after we've dropped off the birds and volunteered to go back to the woods to gather kindling for the evening fire, I find myself wrapped in his arms. His lips brushing the faded bruises on my neck, working their way to my mouth. Despite what I feel for Peeta, this is when I accept deep down that he'll never come back to me. Or I'll never go back to him. I'll stay in 2 until it falls, go to the Capitol and kill Snow, and then die for my trouble. And he'll die insane and hating me. So in the fading light I shut my eyes and kiss Gale to make up for all the kisses I've withheld, and because it doesn't matter anymore, and because I'm so desperately lonely I can't stand it.

I actually had to stop reading at this point because WHAT THE FUCK. Is there some kind of requirement that books aimed at teen girls has to include the most creepy, emotionally abusive relationships possible?

At least with Twilight, Bella was a wet blanket from the start. In this case, it feels like an active betrayal because Katniss was so fucking awesome in the first book. She took charge. She put herself in harms way to protect people. Conflicted and under duress, yes, but she was heroic and admirable. She was pure Buffy. Now she's a laconic mopey victim who only returns the feelings of her two suitors - one obsessed white knight type and one emo "I love you so much I hate you" type - because she's in too much pain to do anything else.

In the first book, Katniss played up the pretend relationship as a power play to win the Games. It was a positive, proactive act and even led to some actual feelings developing, but it was secondary to survival, and the story was very much about how capable and ruthless she was. Peeta was the weaker half of the team, and contributed mainly by being devoted to Katniss and winning people over.

In the thitd book? The whole thing is about how Katniss isn't capable of doing anything except by accident, and the talent all lies with the two guys. Peeta has all the public speaking talent, and Gale is the one who not comes up with a ruthless and extremely successful plan in 2, but saves Katniss' sister and their cat when the Capitol attacks 13. What did Katniss do when 13 attacked? She meekly wandered down into the bunker and made absolutely zero effort at anything. She didn't even recognize that Peeta was giving a hint about 13 being attacked, that was Haymitch. You know, the useless town drunk she had to coerce into giving any help whatsoever in the Hunger Games in the first book.

Seriously, characters go out of their way to mention how Katniss would be the last to notice something and how crap she is.

It's a complete 180. Sure some of it is down to Katniss suffering severe depression, but it's systemic. Every aspect of the story is devoted to turning her into a Bella-alike - and it's awful.

Sorry for the rant, but the more I think about it, the more I'm just pissed off at the whole thing.

Fuck. This. Book.

Legba on
  • Options
    Hah!

So everyone did a good job voting on the book club books. So good a job that now instead of a small tie we have a larger tie. Oops!

I am posting this here as an open vote.

I will also message the book club thread separately because there's nothing like some overkill.

Let's give it til Wednesday morning, 5:00 a.m. EST. I say this because that is when I get home from work, and I am bossy like a mofo.

how do i vote on this thing

i don't get it

help i can't computertron

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I might start reading Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust since I have a copy of it

what I've read is pretty good

• Options
    Essentially you vote on it by having the creator send you the correct link in the first place

Sorry all

Also Remembrance of Things Past is tied in my mind irrevocably to The Life Aquatic now

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I finally caught Catch 22 at a time when it wasn't checked out of my local library.

Only two pages in it already made me have to stifle laughing out loud in a busy train carriage, and books never make me laugh out load.

Flay on
  • Options
    Flay

Your choice in reading material is top shelf

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's really friggen good so far. But I'm just trying to catch up on all the stuff I've missed and read something other than fantasy/sci-fi.

Flay on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    catch-22 is one of the funniest damn books

not counting books which have humor as their stated goal

come to think of it, it is funnier than some of those I've read (I'm looking at you, Chelsea Handler)

Shorty on
  • Options
    Catch-22 probably shows the most extremes of any book I've ever read in how it manages to be so funny at yet at times so incredibly sad

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Latest Dresden came in the mail on Monday.

Ghost Story is so good you guys.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.