As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Just watching the GB quicklook now that I've finished and noticed something.
    In the Sirta shop there are a bunch of what look like books and some candy. I never saw those, just the Medigel upgrades, did I miss out on somewhere?

No I saw them too. I bought a bunch of books and some roses and then never did anything with them and at some point the rest of the stuff vanished from the vending machine. I have no idea if they could be used for something

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    It's not backpedaling since it's the way I was pedaling going into ME3. And maybe if it was a Bioware rep saying that you might have a point but thanks for just completely invalidating my opinion and interpretation because it clashes with yours.

You just made a bunch of concessions, like it would have been tougher or taken longer for Bioware to make it good. The ending is paramount, budget and time is not an excuse.

I never once said anything about the budget to make the game, or how hard it would have been to make a good ending, or how long that would have took. Maybe you should read it before you dismiss it. My entire perspective was based on things in game, or from a writer trying to wrap up a story about one thing while leaving the door open to tell a sequel in a game with probably trillions of permutations by the end of the third game.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    It's not backpedaling since it's the way I was pedaling going into ME3. And maybe if it was a Bioware rep saying that you might have a point but thanks for just completely invalidating my opinion and interpretation because it clashes with yours.

You just made a bunch of concessions, like it would have been tougher or taken longer for Bioware to make it good. The ending is paramount, budget and time is not an excuse.

Huh? I just read over what he wrote and he didn't say anything like that at all.

You just looking for an excuse for him to be wrong about his own opinion, or something?

Shocking update: People have different opinions than yours, and they are just as valid as yours. News at a 11.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So here's a thing from their twitter. Dunno what it means:

I kind of like how the whole internet's reaction to the ending
    is to rapidly adopt the indoctrination theory
    I do absolutely love that theory, though, even without the feeling of dread that comes without it.

It would be absolutely genius to line up free DLC, let everyone be psyched out for a little while.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    FightTest wrote: »
    Just watching the GB quicklook now that I've finished and noticed something.
    In the Sirta shop there are a bunch of what look like books and some candy. I never saw those, just the Medigel upgrades, did I miss out on somewhere?

It's a place-in-game thing.
    They're only there while Ashley is in the hospital. You can buy her shit when you visit her.
    Ah, I saved whiny britches Kaiden instead.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    So, honest question for the folks who really hated the ending, particularly those who hated it to the degree it retroactively made them like the series less.
    I'm genuinely curious what your reaction would be should the whole "the current ending is a hallucination/indoctrination attempt" theory turns out to be correct, and that a "real" ending with a real epilogue is incoming, maybe even as free DLC.

Would you ever believe it was planned? That the current ending was planned to be a mindfuck to confuse players until the real ending came out? Do you think Bioware would have the balls to do that? If the actual ending was actually thought out and thorough, even if it wasn't exactly what you wanted, but at least was an actual ending, would it change your mind back?

Or, even if it was intentional, to confuse the players only to have a real ending come later, would that make you angrier?

I'm just curious about what you think your reaction would be.

I'm not interested in discussing if it's even possible or not. While I personally think the theory actually has weight, I'm just telling myself that the current ending is the ending that will remain so that I don't worry about hopes getting hurt or anything. So if you think it's all horseshit, that's great...it's just not what I'm asking. Just given what I asked, what would your reaction be?

As it is I kind of want to give them credit for not going with the most predictable endings, even if the final result ultimately isn't that creative or interesting. So, if they did do something like what you are describing, I would be willing to go with it.

However, I would have a really difficult time believing it was actually their plan all along and not a response to fan backlash.

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    This is not a bad thing. As this game series goes on, more and more player choice will become an increasing headache for the developers to deal with. They have to pare down the number of options to have to deal with in a new game so they can start fresh and tell a new story.
    I do understand it was impossible to make everyone happy, but in order to create endings that made people feel like they had agency they wouldn't have to necessarily incorporate every choice from ME 1 & 2 into this game.

All they would have had to do was make the ending dependent on one of the few big decisions in THIS game and people would have likely been way way way more satisfied with it.

I mean, just off of the top of my head, they could have given you an option for ghost boy to deactivate the reapers because the situation with the geth proved that organics and synthetics can live in harmony or they could have made it an option for the Macguffin to not power down the relays because you had enough scientists working on it (which could just be arbitrary number).

hell (as I said before) you could have the same endings but just make them dependent on the decisions you've made in this game instead of based on an arbitrary number.

I don't doubt it's harder than just hand-waving it, but hooking an ending to a couple of major plot decisions shouldn't be that hard given the amount of previous game decisions they were able to incorporate into the rest of the game. Which is why I still think this must be a matter of just running out of time or lack of oversight. For a game that is all about showing you how your decisions in three games have affected the world in this one game, a lack of consequences for what you did throughout at the very end seems really bizarre and out of place

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

It means 'quick, give them the vaguest sense of hope while we fix this shit. Say anything, say something! But keep it super vague and mysterious, as though we have this planned from the beginning'

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Man, I must be the only one who doesn't give a shit about any of the characters.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

I do absolutely love that theory, though, even without the feeling of dread that comes without it.

It would be absolutely genius to line up free DLC, let everyone be psyched out for a little while.

I don't mean to imply otherwise! I completely agree with you.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Just so we're absolutely clear, they're not withholding a real ending to mindfuck players. It would not have passed Microsoft certification if that was the case.

I'm all for giving them credit, but it's occam's razor on this thing. They fucked up. It's not a pioneering scheme.

• Options

I don't mean to imply otherwise! I completely agree with you.

Oh, no, it's cool. I won't deny there's a good amount of bandwagoning (even on my part).

• Options
    The way they set up the post credits game
    (Buzz Aldrin says he's got time for one more story and you're back on the Normandy right before you start the endgame at the Cerberus base) makes it seem to me they had no intention of releasing a DLC to expand on the ending of the game. Instead the intention seems to be to release further missions from right before the endgame, perhaps extra stuff to do on the Asari planet or the Turian planet etc. To think they'll basically retcon their ending like this just seems like a far-fetched hope from a crowd of unsatisfied fans.

But hey, there's always hope

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    The ending is shit. That's pretty unanimous amongst fans.
    And why the fuck is the tagline and premise of the game to "save earth" and we spend a whole goddamn an hour on it out of 25+? Give me more earth. I want to actually defend earth more, which is why I'll easily believe the "indoctrination" theory.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    So people are talking about things in previous games they wish had been expanded on. I'm surprised nobody (that I've seen) has brought up the Leviathan of Dis.

ME3's resolution of it:
    Haha, it was a Reaper. Batarians get indoctrinated, drop all defenses with the main fleet shows up. No batarians left.

Epic.
    And as another nod in that
    Balak, assuming he survived from the BDtS DLC, is the highest ranking Batarian Military Officer. He tries to blame you for all of it and kill you, but you can convince him to join Shepard's Coalition of the Desperate.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I actually thought it would be one of those multiple landing planets like Tuchanka.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Just so we're absolutely clear, they're not withholding a real ending to mindfuck players. It would not have passed Microsoft certification if that was the case.

I'm all for giving them credit, but it's occam's razor on this thing. They fucked up. It's not a pioneering scheme.

Honest question: Why would that not pass? The game IS technically complete as-is, it's not like it just "stops", though y'know, some wish it had. Why would DLC applied later to change plot elements break/prevent certification?

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    So, honest question for the folks who really hated the ending, particularly those who hated it to the degree it retroactively made them like the series less.
    I'm genuinely curious what your reaction would be should the whole "the current ending is a hallucination/indoctrination attempt" theory turns out to be correct, and that a "real" ending with a real epilogue is incoming, maybe even as free DLC.

Would you ever believe it was planned? That the current ending was planned to be a mindfuck to confuse players until the real ending came out? Do you think Bioware would have the balls to do that? If the actual ending was actually thought out and thorough, even if it wasn't exactly what you wanted, but at least was an actual ending, would it change your mind back?

Or, even if it was intentional, to confuse the players only to have a real ending come later, would that make you angrier?

I'm just curious about what you think your reaction would be.

I'm not interested in discussing if it's even possible or not. While I personally think the theory actually has weight, I'm just telling myself that the current ending is the ending that will remain so that I don't worry about hopes getting hurt or anything. So if you think it's all horseshit, that's great...it's just not what I'm asking. Just given what I asked, what would your reaction be?
    You can't release an amazing game with a shitty ending then go oh but that wasn't what we planned here's the real ending without saying a word before hand. If the ending wasn't done before release they should have said so. Especially if the plan is to milk you for more cash. Some guy at some company somewhere is rubbing his hands right now at the thought of all the people who are willing to pay for a real ending to a game. This has nothing to do with ME DLC per se, but can you imagine if games started to do that? Our game is 99% awesome, 1% garbage! 1% awesomesauce yours for £3.99! No, a fix would have to be "free".

Now if they did release a free fix to the ending, I'd play it to see what was different but what is seen cannot be unseen. Basically, the next Bioware game that comes out won't be an instant purchase nor will I care for any of the DLC for ME3, even though a battle of Omega sounds really cool. I'll wait for the reviews or impressions here before purchasing again. I'd be too concerned the game would be awesome again but the ending would let it down. Also I really can't believe trolling your customer base like this would make any business sense. The reviews on amazon uk are pretty scathing about the end and it seems to have harmed their reputation with their fans.

I'm not even angry at the end of ME3. I loved it, just really disappointed in the finale. I would be angry tho if this was a marketing scheme for some paid DLC. They would go on the shit list.

• Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I really don't understand why you can't change class when you go for a New Game+. I mean I just played through it as that class, why wouldn't I want to switch it up now? I would rather be locked into my ME2 class the first time around since I hadn't played it in a while and then be able to switch. Can't figure out why they want to bore me by making me play the same class again immediately.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    This is not a bad thing. As this game series goes on, more and more player choice will become an increasing headache for the developers to deal with. They have to pare down the number of options to have to deal with in a new game so they can start fresh and tell a new story.
    I do understand it was impossible to make everyone happy, but in order to create endings that made people feel like they had agency they wouldn't have to necessarily incorporate every choice from ME 1 & 2 into this game.

All they would have had to do was make the ending dependent on one of the few big decisions in THIS game and people would have likely been way way way more satisfied with it.

I mean, just off of the top of my head, they could have given you an option for ghost boy to deactivate the reapers because the situation with the geth proved that organics and synthetics can live in harmony or they could have made it an option for the Macguffin to not power down the relays because you had enough scientists working on it (which could just be arbitrary number).

hell (as I said before) you could have the same endings but just make them dependent on the decisions you've made in this game instead of based on an arbitrary number.

I don't doubt it's harder than just hand-waving it, but hooking an ending to a couple of major plot decisions shouldn't be that hard given the amount of previous game decisions they were able to incorporate into the rest of the game. Which is why I still think this must be a matter of just running out of time or lack of oversight. For a game that is all about showing you how your decisions in three games have affected the world in this one game, a lack of consequences for what you did throughout at the very end seems really bizarre and out of place
    The first bolded part is clearly not possible. The "sunshine and rainbows ending" to this game should be the fact that they give a shit enough about the franchise to plan in advance for a true sequel. This allows for two dramatically different endings to have to carry forward into an ME4 which would basically make it not possible. The current endings are similar enough to where you can kind of fudge it and make it okay. The Mass Relays all being destroyed is reallllly nice because it makes the galaxy feel a lot wider and it enables story options in an ME4 by saying "Well you don't see the Geth because this story happens near Earth and without the Relays it's really really difficult to get back over here from Rannoch." That's not to say that's what will happen, but it's an option.

The next line, is that really better? You'll have tons of people complaining that they don't understand how to get ending X or Y, or then we'll get even MORE complaints about how the choices didn't matter, because you won't be able to look at the war assets screen and say "Oh hey, remember when I saved the Destiny Ascension? That mattered and I can see the proof right there." The same system but just taking away the number makes everything better? I don't get that at all.

The choices you made mattered. They mattered all the way until the end of the story when the story was concluded.

• Options
    FightTest wrote: »
    I really don't understand why you can't change class when you go for a New Game+. I mean I just played through it as that class, why wouldn't I want to switch it up now? I would rather be locked into my ME2 class the first time around since I hadn't played it in a while and then be able to switch. Can't figure out why they want to bore me by making me play the same class again immediately.

THIS. This is annoying.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    So people are talking about things in previous games they wish had been expanded on. I'm surprised nobody (that I've seen) has brought up the Leviathan of Dis.

ME3's resolution of it:
    Haha, it was a Reaper. Batarians get indoctrinated, drop all defenses with the main fleet shows up. No batarians left.

Epic.
    And as another nod in that
    Balak, assuming he survived from the BDtS DLC, is the highest ranking Batarian Military Officer. He tries to blame you for all of it and kill you, but you can convince him to join Shepard's Coalition of the Desperate.

I could never get that DLC to work. Was it worth playing?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Qep6B.jpg

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Honest question: Why would that not pass? The game IS technically complete as-is, it's not like it just "stops", though y'know, some wish it had. Why would DLC applied later to change plot elements break/prevent certification?

Yes. DLC has to be optional and supplementary. Otherwise it is considered a patch, which has strict filesize limitations which would be completely unsuitable for any major content delivery. The MS cert documents are hilariously verbose but it's actually a good policy.

You should watch the GiantBomb making-of Bastion videos. They spend like half an hour talking about this stuff.

• Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    While I believe that a future DLC with a different ending is quite possible, there's no way that this was planned from the start. They could do a media blitz claiming it was and haha j/k lol and I'd never believe it.

• Options
    Didn't they release a fallout 3 DLC that was basically "no, see, this is the fleshed out ending"?

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular

The first bolded part is clearly not possible. The "sunshine and rainbows ending" to this game should be the fact that they give a shit enough about the franchise to plan in advance for a true sequel. This allows for two dramatically different endings to have to carry forward into an ME4 which would basically make it not possible. The current endings are similar enough to where you can kind of fudge it and make it okay. The Mass Relays all being destroyed is reallllly nice because it makes the galaxy feel a lot wider and it enables story options in an ME4 by saying "Well you don't see the Geth because this story happens near Earth and without the Relays it's really really difficult to get back over here from Rannoch." That's not to say that's what will happen, but it's an option.

The next line, is that really better? You'll have tons of people complaining that they don't understand how to get ending X or Y, or then we'll get even MORE complaints about how the choices didn't matter, because you won't be able to look at the war assets screen and say "Oh hey, remember when I saved the Destiny Ascension? That mattered and I can see the proof right there." The same system but just taking away the number makes everything better? I don't get that at all.

The choices you made mattered. They mattered all the way until the end of the story when the story was concluded.

The bolded part makes no sense to me.
    Given what we currently have, I would prefer a "sunshine and rainbows ending". However, that is only because I feel what we were given was poorly executed, not because I am in anyway opposed to darker scenarios.

In any event, to suggest we got a happy ending because it sets them up make some more money on a sequel strikes me as ludicrous. Providing well executed endings would have done so much more to show fans they really cared about the series. As it is, even though my final assessment of the game in total is largely positive, I would be extremely hesitant to invest further in the series because my confidence in their story telling ability has diminished greatly.

• Options
    Any kind of Broken Steel after party, post-game content is at minimum six months away, including a two month cert process from Sony and Microsoft.

The skins pack coming out in a few weeks was probably finished before launch during the QA part of crunchtime. They also heavily hinted at an Omega DLC that will probably be akin to an Overlord/Kasumi sized piece of content. That will have already been started and so will be finished before any ending stuff is worked on.

By that time, people will have moved on. You drip feed small bits of easily made content to keep people around for the larger ones. The specific way the game ended means a lot of fans have no desire for that supplementary content.

So if this was a planned thing, it was planned by someone at Activision as the perfect, most precise and accurate way to lose BioWare fans.

I mean, best case scenario, people grow to accept it and move on. But their DLC release strategy has to change to accommodate the fluctuation opinions of their customers. Worst case scenario, everyone forgets about the game in a few months and the same thing happens.

• Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Didn't they release a fallout 3 DLC that was basically "no, see, this is the fleshed out ending"?

Can someone tell me just how much backlash the original ending got? I didn't play Fallout 3 until well after the game of the year edition was out.

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like even if the ending was horrible that Bioware should at least have the stones to stand by what they put out and know that no ending will ever make everyone happy. Hell, even trying to make people happy won't make people happy. All TV shows (even the comedies that occur in bars) have told me that you don't negotiate with terrorists.
    Unless it's an ending where instead of getting lasered by Harbinger, Shepard instead mounts her space unicorn saying "I don't get paid enough to deal with no reapers" and flies off into the cosmos and then enters a 10 minute long Nyan Cat style sequence that is shown to a new song composed and performed by Rebecca Black about Mass Effect which was made with about 10 minutes of research before it was due and then at the end Shepard and the unicorn explode into space fireworks that spell out "FUCK THE HATERS." I would be okay with that. Because that would be breathtaking.

• Options
    Razia wrote: »

Can someone tell me just how much backlash the original ending got? I didn't play Fallout 3 until well after the game of the year edition was out.

Nowhere near as much as Me3. But like Me3, it was the one singular universally accepted flaw with the game.

And Broken Steel didn't so much fix the ending, as it simply carried on afterward. Broken Steel was an expansion pack that was contiguous with the main game. And if I'm being honest, it was absolutely much better of an ending.

But the two aren't really comparable directly. Fallout 3 was far, far less story driven than Mass Effect 3 is.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular

It means 'quick, give them the vaguest sense of hope while we fix this shit. Say anything, say something! But keep it super vague and mysterious, as though we have this planned from the beginning'
    If running with the indoctrination theory is the easiest way to fix the ending, then fuck it, I'm on board.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Where the hell is the Bringing Down the Skies DLC for Mass Effect 1? I can find Pinnacle Station but screw that, BDtS is what I want :(

• Options
    'It was all a dream'.

That would make me more angry, actually. I'd dust off my hands and be done with the entire company.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Razia wrote: »

Well, the big problem with Fallout 3's ending was that after a certain point in the game, you were locked into the ending events and couldn't really leave to go explore the rest of the world. Unlike other Bethesda games where you were able to complete the main quest and continue adventuring(which is what most people expected at this point), you were locked into the ending and then...that's it. Game over. If you didn't do the other quests in the game, too bad, you'd better have a save from before the last encounters.

The DLC didn't really do anything with the ending except have your character wake up in a bed afterwards(presumably after extensive decontamination efforts by BoS members), and allow you to continue playing. The Broken Steel content was just extra DLC stuff you could do whenever.

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular

The primary motivation should not be to set up the universe for a sequel but to make the story they're trying to tell have a satisfying conclusion. And I have to imagine for me and a lot of other people after the way they've handled this ending that we're going to be far less willing to pony up for another game.

And how does the destruction of the Relays make it better? Since you can't realistically interact with the other races on a regular basis due to travel time and distance a great deal of the rich backstory stuff isn't going to matter that much. After the variety we've had with this game I'd find it pretty hard to swallow to have a game restricted to only a few races due to practical travel issues the destruction of the mass relays caused.

I'm not saying that those ideas are fantastic, they're literally just ideas I pulled out of the top of my head. I'm just saying it wouldn't be hard to attach endings to a couple of story-specific things from this game.

And yes, your decisions did matter up until the end.

The problem is that the decision at the end has the ability to basically overwrite a lot of what you did beforehand and render most of those previous decisions moot. And if they don't render them moot, there's no way to know because there's no epilogue so we literally have no way of knowing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Seriously?

There is absolutely no way they planned on the outpouring of anger and complaint coming out of this.

They fucked up, sure. But to say they deliberately created a subpar game just to fuck with people? Seriously?

I don't even know what to say Scarab.

I thought you were better than that.

edit: Reading your further comments, it seems I misunderstood you. I'm leaving this up as a monument to not finishing reading the thread before posting.

Orca on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I do enjoy when people who know no better than anyone else make authoritative "this is how it is" statements.

Hey, you may end up being right. But not due to any "facts", it will just happen to be that the things you're guessing, just like everyone else, ended up being "true".

ME2 had free DLC, there's no reason ME3 can't. ME2's DLC was in development before it went gold, they openly admitted they cut the hammerhead stuff and gave it to players free. The idea they can't do that, or they won't do that, is patently false.

But hey. Keep your smug sense of superiority.

Not that it's unusual on the internet. People wanting to hope or think positively are just "full of it". People that are angry and hate are apparently the only ones "rational" enough to see the "truth".

Never change internet!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Guys! Crazy theory!

Through all 3 games, we haven't been playing as Shepard.

We've been playing as Buzz Aldrin.

He's just narrating it, picking what Shepard says, since "some of the details have been lost to time".

Sure, it means we would never be able to fully embody our characters.

But you would have the knowledge that you played through a trilogy of science fiction games as Buzz freaking Aldrin.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Magell wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Some people seem to be confused on one of the endings.
    They didn't say it'd destroy everything synthetic, it said it'd destroy synthetic life.
    he also says shepard is synthetic life, and it blew up the normandy so presumably it blew up all the ships in orbit? or did it? I'm confused
    Normandy gets blown up because it's going through a Mass Relay. At least that's what it seems to be doing.

Mass relays don't work that way, it teleports things from point A to point B instantaneously.
    it's possible the writers forgot how the central piece of technology to their scifi story works though

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.