As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brazilian Jiu-[Chat]su

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I'm all for abolishing the majority of sentiments having to do with consumption and masculinity, but black coffee is civilization unless you're drinking lousy coffee.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Gooey wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    And yet, the reverse seems to be cool with everyone.

no kidding

hey, you know what sucked

almost dying over fifty dollars

it makes me bust out the sobbin' towel too

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I bet you put milk in your whiskey, desc

You goddamn degenerate

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    EM did you see my post addressed to you a page or two back?

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I bet you put milk in your whiskey, desc

You goddamn degenerate

Reminds me of a Mad Men episode.

*Gasp!*
    desc has an ulcer!

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

no kidding

obv you need to level speech a bit

there is almost always a conversation path to barter it down a bit but you need a good speech check

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    seriously though re: coffee, there was that TED talk with Malcolm Gladwell where he talked about how most people actually do prefer their coffee kind of weaker, cooler and sweeter but claim they don't because there is societal pressure to be a bad-ass who drinks black coffee.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    desc I love you bro but you are wrong about coffee.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    you know what is pimp

the fact that i will have to go on disability to pay for my medications when i move out because right now i take 7+ pills a day to stay stable

and my family is judging me for it and saying that i don't really need all those pills and maybe i should just work harder at my job instead of taking advantage of taxpayers

lol

• Options

no kidding

there is almost always a conversation path to barter it down a bit but you need a good speech check

bears are hard to come by on the plains bro

• Options

no kidding

Pickpocket is far more useful.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I will be honest part of the reason I get hyper-smug is because I get pretty defensive about the health-care system

It's why I am alive. If I was an American in an identical social/financial class and upbringing to the one I grew up in and every other aspect of my life was identical except I lived in the US instead of Canada

I would not be alive. That is the truth.

So I get smug/defensive about it because I will brook no argument and no implication that there is anything better about the US' health-care system for someone like me.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

no kidding

I tried to stay in school with full blown ulcerative colitis because I knew if I took time off I could be dropped from my dad's health insurance and I'd likely never be insured again.

20 year old kids should not be forced to make these kinds of decisions.

Oh, I'm in terrible pain and can't really sleep through the night or sit through an entire class without having to use the bathroom once or twice, but I need to stay in school otherwise I will surely go bankrupt because I can't afford $1200/mo. for prescription medication alone. Also student loans.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    EM did you see my post addressed to you a page or two back?

I did, and in fact, replied!

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Oooh, health [chat].

I love living in commie free health land. I just wish I still lived in the even freer Scotland than England where the Tories are trying to stuff everything up.

• Options
    i either like coffee black

or with a lottttttt of sugar and cream

iced coffee (black) is my favorite

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Yep. That's why I don't. I mean I tread super fucking carefully around this, because I've lived under a universal health system and it failed me hardcore, multiple times. I know the prevailing sentiment though - it's not a conversation we can have in [chat]. Three posts in, people would be flipping out. It's just not worth it.

There's no upside to this conversation, but this time around, I couldn't help but at least mention that there is a reasonable discussion of pros and cons to be had - we just can't do it because I'm on the "heartless" side. Even though I'm on this side because I've experienced how terrible "universal" care can be.

Even that last sentence is apt to get people raging at me.

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    I will be honest part of the reason I get hyper-smug is because I get pretty defensive about the health-care system

It's why I am alive. If I was an American in an identical social/financial class and upbringing to the one I grew up in and every other aspect of my life was identical except I lived in the US instead of Canada

So I get smug/defensive about it because I will brook no argument and no implication that there is anything better about the US' health-care system for someone like me.

the odd part is that there was no one attacking you??

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I like my coffee rich, bold, and brewed over an entire hot chocolate packet.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »

the odd part is that there was no one attacking you??

yes this is the downside of being sensitive and defensive about things

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I had to give up caffeine, so it's pretty rare that I drink coffee these days. I started drinking honey lemon tea that I don't add sugar to and it has this really nice, smooth flavor that is bitter, but it's so weak that it's like drinking lemon water with a hint of honey.

There are two ways I drink my coffee (On the occasion that I do drink coffee): Black, or a mocha. Coffee shops tend to make mochas with a lot of chocolate syrup, so they're usually really, really sweet. I drink black when I want something decidedly not sweet.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    seriously though re: coffee, there was that TED talk with Malcolm Gladwell where he talked about how most people actually do prefer their coffee kind of weaker, cooler and sweeter but claim they don't because there is societal pressure to be a bad-ass who drinks black coffee.

I totally believe this is true

for the record I am not a coffee snob at all, I actually take full on cream and sugar in my coffee, even nice coffee that's made with a good press

i really haven't acquired the taste for coffee itself, completely, though the coffee i make certainly doesn't need much sugar or milk at all even for me

i also think middle-shelf bourbon is better than top-shelf scotch probably for similar reasons of palate

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yep. That's why I don't. I mean I tread super fucking carefully around this, because I've lived under a universal health system and it failed me hardcore, multiple times. I know the prevailing sentiment though - it's not a conversation we can have in [chat]. Three posts in, people would be flipping out. It's just not worth it.

There's no upside to this conversation, but this time around, I couldn't help but at least mention that there is a reasonable discussion of pros and cons to be had - we just can't do it because I'm on the "heartless" side. Even though I'm on this side because I've experienced how terrible "universal" care can be.

If your answer to this is "Medicaid/Medicare" you have not lived under a universal healthcare system... but; Which one?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    you know what is pimp

the fact that i will have to go on disability to pay for my medications when i move out because right now i take 7+ pills a day to stay stable

and my family is judging me for it and saying that i don't really need all those pills and maybe i should just work harder at my job instead of taking advantage of taxpayers

lol

Man, your family. Have you tried merciless, scathing commentary on their own life choices? I found that my mom learned not to give unsolicited opinions once she realized that it would lead to rhetorically prickly conversation.

• Options
    ah ok EM i didn't see it at first

thanks!

i will keep that in mind

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    The problem with Canadian healthcare is that compared to most other first-world countries, it's shit. I mean, compared to America, it's awesome, but compared to, like, the UK, or Scandinavia (yes, I know it's not a country), or France it's total shit. It's also the closest country to the U.S., so it's what we look to when we think of socialized medicine, so the fact that it's such shit makes it less likely that we'll ever get socialized medicine here (especially with Harper making it even worse).

As an aside, do you know where by far the most efficient healthcare in the U.S. is done? The Mayo Clinic. Do you know how they do it? They model themselves after socialized medicine.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    you know what is pimp

lol

Man, your family. Have you tried merciless, scathing commentary on their own life choices? I found that my mom learned not to give unsolicited opinions once she realized that it would lead to rhetorically prickly conversation.

I love my mom and I don't want to hurt her. :|

• Options
    edited March 2012
    bowen wrote: »

If your answer to this is "Medicaid/Medicare" you have not lived under a universal healthcare system... but; Which one?

Republic of Ireland, 2001 - 2005.

spool32 on
  • Options
    you know what is pimp

lol

this depends on a person having a modicum of reason and self-awareness and ability to perceive their own doublethink

this is not a common quality when you're talking to members of your family

• Options

Cold-brew in the french press is awesome

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular

IIRC it was Northern Ireland you stayed in (or was it Eire)? When was this? Cos if it was Northern Ireland then yeah, you got shafted with the NHS, and even these days it's still 50% worse in most of NI than the rest of the UK.

• Options

thanks!

i will keep that in mind

if you ever need me to look at a specific text for pointers that is where i specialize

• Options
    if it weren't for universal health care my family would be bankrupt and i would be dead

so yeah i do kind of get annoyed when people criticize it

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I wonder what kind of medical coverage I will have if I end up working in Japan...

• Options
    @BobCesca it was the RoI, and it was universally terrible.

• Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    The problem with Canadian healthcare is that compared to most other first-world countries, it's shit. I mean, compared to America, it's awesome, but compared to, like, the UK, or Scandinavia (yes, I know it's not a country), or France it's total shit. It's also the closest country to the U.S., so it's what we look to when we think of socialized medicine, so the fact that it's such shit makes it less likely that we'll ever get socialized medicine here (especially with Harper making it even worse).

As an aside, do you know where by far the most efficient healthcare in the U.S. is done? The Mayo Clinic. Do you know how they do it? They model themselves after socialized medicine.

I like this post. :^:

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    desc I love you bro but you are wrong about coffee.

I'm not, but that's really a distant seconday issue to you needing to promise me you don't actually say things about black coffee and manliness out loud to humans

Seriously

You get what a cliche it is though right

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Cold-brew in the french press is awesome

Yes it is so good!

• Options

thanks!

i will keep that in mind

if you ever need me to look at a specific text for pointers that is where i specialize

if i take a writing course in the fall i'm sure i'll be coming to you often

you know, to add variety to all those times when i come on you

• Options
    there's lots of places where Canadian health care is lacking and shitty and markedly inferior to like

Switzerland's or Germany's

but eh

when I needed it to be there for me

it was

the fact that I have to shake it by the shoulders and scream at it sometimes sucks but at least I have that option

This discussion has been closed.