As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Hmm, would working for a hedge fund be a bad idea or $Texas?

really depends on the place, i would say its worth going in for an interview if you havent already.

i have worked for financial companies since 2007, my soul is (mostly) intact.

Some places are shit and mask the smell well, and some places are shit and known for being shit and you can smell the shit as soon as you walk through the door.

I live in NYC though and around here finance companies tend to pay their IT staff better than others and for the most part offer a bit more stable environment.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Woosh. They didn't offer as much as I'd have liked, but i'll probably take it anyways, if they offer me the job. Somehow they offered me EXACTLY the same amount of money I made at my last job. I should have tried to ask for more but they seemed pretty resolute.

@Kochikens ooh! Let us know :)

• Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    Been working over time all this week and I was very excited to have to not work it next week.

I get to work and what do I see on my schedule? Overtime all next week :(

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Ever have a day where you think you're asking a relatively simple question and then all of a sudden you're on the phone with lawyers, legal council, the data harvesting guys and the CEO?

Yea...me either.

Christ on a crutch.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I have a phone interview today with the Department of Social and Health Services. I still haven't decided if I'll answer the phone. I have no motivation to even try.

It feels like I only have enough strength to drag my ass back to my shitty job. It takes no effort. It takes no thought.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Ever have a day where you think you're asking a relatively simple question and then all of a sudden you're on the phone with lawyers, legal council, the data harvesting guys and the CEO?

Yea...me either.

Christ on a crutch.

every piece of software I work on for external clients must be approved by a legal team re: FDA regulations every time anything is changed

nothing can be done without lawyers, and that's not like a "man I hate lawyers" thing

it's a ... "no literally a lawyer must oversee anything that is shipped because FDA regulations were written before the internet was a thing" thing

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »

Yea...me either.

Christ on a crutch.

every piece of software I work on for external clients must be approved by a legal team re: FDA regulations every time anything is changed

nothing can be done without lawyers, and that's not like a "man I hate lawyers" thing

it's a ... "no literally a lawyer must oversee anything that is shipped because FDA regulations were written before the internet was a thing" thing

I'm writing a release and I asked "what is the total number of unique visitors to all of the sites?". That's it. That's all.

Legal, Investor Relations, the CEO, me, the outside IR consultant and just on and on...it was fucking nuts.

I have the answer now though.

• Options
    well that's a business secrets thing

it's pretty standard for e-commerce sites to guard that, at least in my experience

when I worked in e-commerce that was privileged information

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So I just finished my job interview over the phone.

They wanted it to go for 25 minutes I think, but I ended at 16 minutes so...?

I also sort of sped through the questions they gave (because my anxiety started to act up) but when it flipped to me asking them questions I think I showed that I became much more relaxed.

They said they are aggressively pursuing the job and within the next couple days will contact me on if they want me to visit their campus for further interviews. They also mentioned the job is a 12-month contract starting July 5th.

Either way, I am going to go relax with some Batman: Arkham City. I need to cool these nerves.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

it's pretty standard for e-commerce sites to guard that, at least in my experience

Publicly traded company. Different rules.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Slider wrote: »
    I have a phone interview today with the Department of Social and Health Services. I still haven't decided if I'll answer the phone. I have no motivation to even try.

It feels like I only have enough strength to drag my ass back to my shitty job. It takes no effort. It takes no thought.

The least you could do is not waste the interviewer's time. It's going to be MORE of a nuisance for her if you don't answer the phone. Answer and either do the interview or decline it.

Though you should do the interview. And try to do well.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options

yeah the e-commerce company I worked at was publicly traded

• Options

yeah the e-commerce company I worked at was publicly traded

Interesting. We throw that number into our releases.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Who would be willing to give my resume a look once I've got it done?

Also I realize now that I probably should wait until after I have surgery to find a nea job, since that's not the best thing to mention in a job interview.

• Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    @Kochikens I'm sorry I wasn't more help, let us know if you do end up coming to ol' Europe!

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    If you have a soul, you can not work for a hedge fund.

I am a ginger. Hook me up with said hedge fund please.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    So OK, who's currently looking for stuff?

@Sara Lynn

Is something like this what you'd be interested in?

I'unno. I have zero experience filing/scheduling/any of that stuff. My problem is that my experience is strictly customer service/food related, anything officey I think I could handle at a base level but I feel like I wouldn't trust myself to make travel arrangements for people. I don't really like making my own travel plans.

I wouldn't bother wasting your time looking for me, honestly. I'm just gonna try and get on some medication so I can be a little more emotionally balanced and hopefully tolerate my life better. I'm not gonna find anything as $$$ as my current job, need to try and get used to that idea. It sucks but I've made my life choices and these are the consequences, y'know?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    So OK, who's currently looking for stuff?

@Sara Lynn

Is something like this what you'd be interested in?

I'unno. I have zero experience filing/scheduling/any of that stuff. My problem is that my experience is strictly customer service/food related, anything officey I think I could handle at a base level but I feel like I wouldn't trust myself to make travel arrangements for people. I don't really like making my own travel plans.

I wouldn't bother wasting your time looking for me, honestly. I'm just gonna try and get on some medication so I can be a little more emotionally balanced and hopefully tolerate my life better. I'm not gonna find anything as $$$ as my current job, need to try and get used to that idea. It sucks but I've made my life choices and these are the consequences, y'know?

I know at one point you were looking into going back to school, at least part time. Is that something you still want to do?

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I got a promotion at my job. Now I'm a lab supervisor.
    I should be happier. But the pay increase isn't what I was hoping for. And it is more work, since they aren't hiring anybody to replace my job.
    And I just found out that I didn't get a teaching fellowship I was hoping would take me away from NJ and into NY (while I got my teaching licence- I would love to be a teacher some day) and pay me similar amounts of money. They said they needed math/science teachers, and I gave it a go. Wish I knew what sank it, but I have a feeling any inquiries would be lost in the bureaucracy.
    I make good enough money and I quite enjoy my job as it is. I should be ok with things.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I have my big yearly audit today, my boss will be checking all the work I'm meant to do, poring over everything, and reporting to the higher-ups with the result.

Every other time it's been pretty stressful, but right now I have 13 days left here. If he says I'm doing a terrible job and everything's wrong? Who the fuck cares. Everything should be fine, it's always been fine before, but it's so nice to have absolutely nothing riding on this today.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    they're laying people off where I work D:

I mean, as of now I'm fine, but well, it's not making the decision to move on from there soon tougher

• Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    got a girlfriend yesterday, and an interview to be scheduled as of today

now if i can keep the girl and get the job, things just might be alright

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Second 2nd interview : GET.

Now just to not screw them both up.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Grats to all you people who are experiencing good things.

@Sara Lynn and @The Geebs That Is A Pony :(:(

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    New private office in less than two weeks, I hope.

Also, I am terrible at phone support. Spent about 10 minutes working with a customer to show them how to download a PDF and then use the search function of whatever goofy PDF reader they had installed.

I can console myself knowing that it's partly because our customerbase continues to rely on faxing as a primary means to transmitting data.

Oh except for the one internet customer that complained that we were emailing them all of their invoices from now on because paper is expensive and we need hard copies. More expensive than us printing, paying postage, labor of stuffing envelopes and then you waiting close to a week to receive your invoices?

Yeah, you have fun with that.

One of the customer services guys, the somewhat smart one, figured out how to print things two-sided from the printer.

"Boy this is going to save us a ton of money!"

"I think I have you beat."

"Huh?"

"I'm saving us close to $18,000 annually."

"Oh. Yeah, I think you have me beat."

COME ON NEW OFFICE HURRY UP

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    My job is really rad right now but it's starting to drain on my pathetic excuse for a social life and I'm starting to get depressed.

Can't have it all, zucchini!

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Moriveth where in california do you live

I don't know how I missed this

but I live in San Jose

• Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Who would be willing to give my resume a look once I've got it done?

Also I realize now that I probably should wait until after I have surgery to find a nea job, since that's not the best thing to mention in a job interview.

I will review it for you dude

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Moriveth where in california do you live

I don't know how I missed this

but I live in San Jose

Well that's no good, the company I work for has job openings at their california locations but the closest one to you would be San Francisco (the others are Los Angeles, Costa Mesa, and San Diego)

I didn't look too close so I don't actually know if the pay is in the range you want (similar jobs in DC are 11-12 per hour) but they seem really good about giving 40 hours a week

But I'm reasonably sure you don't want to do 50 miles daily in california traffic

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    guy calls to talk job while im in the car, asks what id want to get paid and i shot out a minimum, then later realized that I cant drive that far for that pay so asked for more (plus the job listing on monster, which im 99% certain is for that job, had it $5 hr/higher) and havent heard back

think i torpedo'd myself, owell

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »

congrats! Bay Area, right?

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Have a second interview of sorts on Thursday.

They want me to meet another vice president, and "discuss potential hiring terms".

I assume that means we're going to talk salary.

Still haven't gotten the day off approved by my current employer, but they're just going to have to deal. I submitted that request with ample time. I'm not gonna be there Thursday.

mcp on
  • Options
    So it's still not PUBLIC, so please don't go talking about this on facebook or twitter (ahem @Sars_Boy) but yeah.
    I accepted a new job. :3

Still working out the deets on start date, but everything else is solid.
    I'll be moving to the Bay Area probably around mid-to-late June.

I'll say who the company is once I give my 2 weeks 'n' all here.
    :)

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Congrats, NevNev. <3

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    grats nevs

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    neville wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »

congrats! Bay Area, right?

Both of them are! They're mega-companies, so I'm really excited. Need to calm it down for my first of the seconds tomorrow.

Also all the congratulations for your acceptance of the new position! That's actually when I'm targeting my move down there also!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Congratulations, Neville!

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Thank you, @Fyndir, @end, @Aphostile, and @facetious :D

Ooh, we'll have to hang out Aphostile! :D

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Bay Area is the new Seattle

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    So it's still not PUBLIC, so please don't go talking about this on facebook or twitter (ahem @Sars_Boy) but yeah.
    I accepted a new job. :3

Still working out the deets on start date, but everything else is solid.
    I'll be moving to the Bay Area probably around mid-to-late June.

I'll say who the company is once I give my 2 weeks 'n' all here.
    :)

my money's on Sega

This discussion has been closed.