As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trayvon Martin]'s Violent Attack on George Zimmerman

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey guys, want to hate how you have to live on this planet with other people (or at least hate it more?)

I give you fox news!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/19/department-justice-opens-investigation-into-case-black-teenager-killed-by/3/#ixzz1pco69rSe

Read the comments. I dare you.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Also in this recording of the 911 call at 2:21, just before the 911 operator asks Zimmerman if he's following Martin, you can hear Zimmerman muttering something. I'd be interested to know if people think it sounds like what I think it sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL72w4xiTVU&feature=youtu.be&t=2m17s

(The link I read suggested what he was saying, which might be coloring my expectations of what it sounds like).

KalTorak on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    it definitely sounds like what is described in the yt comments

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Well, I heard 'fucking <word I'm not sure I'm allowed to post>.'

Starts with a C, ends with N, should refer to a cute animal but doesn't.

Erik
  • Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    Ego wrote: »
    Hey guys, want to hate how you have to live on this planet with other people (or at least hate it more?)

I give you fox news!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/19/department-justice-opens-investigation-into-case-black-teenager-killed-by/3/#ixzz1pco69rSe

They won't load for me. I feel this is for the best.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mindspork wrote: »
    Ego wrote: »

I give you fox news!

They won't load for me. I feel this is for the best.

Meh. It's one person who is repeatedly saying that Trayvon was "probably in a gang" and a couple people saying he's totally full of shit. The other comments are nonsense anti-obama, anti-holder stuff that doesn't even mention the victim or perpetrator.

And then one comment I don't quite understand which is asking why "azzclowns" aren't rioting against cubans.

Compared to a typical freep thread, it's lightweight.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Here's another fun one. Apparent the Sanford PD didn't even test Zimmerman for alcohol or drugs, an essential given in almost anyone involved in a shooting

• Options
    edited March 2012
    According to the tele on CNN in the break room, a grand jury will be convened on (I think it said April 10th).

Not sure if state or federal.

State. April 10th.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/20/10775671-trayvon-martin-case-to-go-to-grand-jury-fla-state-attorney-announces

mindspork on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Zimmerman 2012.

• Options
    Shado redShado red Registered User regular
    After listening to the 911 calls (in particular the one that is during the shooting) I have a question that I would like people to consider. What if the person yelling for help is George Zimmerman?

Everyone seems to be convinced that it is Trayvon Martin pleading for help before he was executed. However, if Zimmerman's story is accurate, then that would be Zimmerman calling for help.

I would like to think that they could bring in an audiophile expert and determine who it is. Wouldn't this evidence be key in determining what happened, one way or the other? Maybe I am suffering from CSI syndrome, but I would think that this would be possible.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Zimmerman claimed he was calling for help or whatever; one of the witnesses said that they heard crying after the first shot, which immediately stopped after the second shot. I guess it's possible that Zimmerman was crying after he fired the first shot and calmed down while firing the second, but it seems more likely for the person being shot to be crying, and then stopping crying when they're killed.

• Options
    Shado red wrote: »
    After listening to the 911 calls (in particular the one that is during the shooting) I have a question that I would like people to consider. What if the person yelling for help is George Zimmerman?

Everyone seems to be convinced that it is Trayvon Martin pleading for help before he was executed. However, if Zimmerman's story is accurate, then that would be Zimmerman calling for help.

I would like to think that they could bring in an audiophile expert and determine who it is. Wouldn't this evidence be key in determining what happened, one way or the other? Maybe I am suffering from CSI syndrome, but I would think that this would be possible.

1) I don't know that you're going to get an audio match to that degree from a recording over the PSTN where the voice is that far away from the handset.

2) Even if it WAS Zimmerman calling for help, it smacks of "OH MY GOD HE'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!"

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    From reading the news reports...which may be entirely inaccurate, it sounds like Zimmerman tried to prevent him from walking home and they got into a fight. Zimmerman proceeded to get his ass beat, rightly so, was calling for help then shot the kid.

So the moral of the story is: you can hassle black kids, and if they fight back, you can murder them.

• Options
    Cabezone wrote: »
    From reading the news reports...which may be entirely inaccurate, it sounds like Zimmerman tried to prevent him from walking home and they got into a fight. Zimmerman proceeded to get his ass beat, rightly so, was calling for help then shot the kid.

So the moral of the story is: you can hassle black kids, and if they fight back, you can murder them.

Welcome to the world of "Stand Your Ground Castle Laws".

• Options
    Was there evidence showing that Zimmerman had been attacked? I don't remember hearing that he was injured at all.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Was there evidence showing that Zimmerman had been attacked? I don't remember hearing that he was injured at all.

He's lucky he had a gun, or he would have had to taste the rainbow

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

I listened to Zimmerman's call, and then all the other calls. Do we have any reason, other than his word, which is contradicted by people that were actually there, that he was begging and screaming for help like a frightened 17 year old? It certainly doesn't sound anything like him, admittedly people can sound a lot different when they panic, yell and beg for their lives between sobs, but I still don't think that quite covers it.

The only thing I wonder about is the 2 shots thing. I only hear 1 shot in the recordings and not every story is picking up that 2 shots were fired. Am I just missing one in the recording?

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Zimmerman claimed he was calling for help or whatever; one of the witnesses said that they heard crying after the first shot, which immediately stopped after the second shot. I guess it's possible that Zimmerman was crying after he fired the first shot and calmed down while firing the second, but it seems more likely for the person being shot to be crying, and then stopping crying when they're killed.

A few problems with this.
    The calling for help starts before the "first gun shot" and continues afterwords. It does not start after the first gun shot.

I don't think the noise in the tape at 6:12 is a first gun shot. It sounds nothing like the gun shot at 6:29. I suppose it could have been muffled somehow. All the other witnesses said "one gun shot" when asked by the 911 operator even the person on the phone during the first one.

• Options
    1) I don't know that you're going to get an audio match to that degree from a recording over the PSTN where the voice is that far away from the handset.

I was kind of thinking this also. Like I said CSI syndrome.
    2) Even if it WAS Zimmerman calling for help, it smacks of "OH MY GOD HE'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!"

Most of the witnesses do say that there was a fight. By recalling that South Park episode are you implying that Zimmerman played the victim, and allowed Martin to beat him up a little, so he would be justified in shooting him?

• Options

I was kind of thinking this also. Like I said CSI syndrome.

Most of the witnesses do say that there was a fight. By recalling that South Park episode are you implying that Zimmerman played the victim, and allowed Martin to beat him up a little, so he would be justified in shooting him?

All I had heard/seen so far was "He followed him in the car. He called 911. 911 said 'we don't want you following him'. he continued to follow him, got out of his car, engaged in an altercation, and then shot him."

So yes. People have used the analogy in other cases of 'picking a fight with a MMA fighter and then getting your ass handed to you.'

This is starting to sound like "MMA fighter chases down a guy, goads him into punching him, and then uses that as justification for breaking his arm." except in this case we've got a dead 17 year old and a guy who's left the state.

• Options

I've read dozens of articles on this, and only found one that mentioned Zimmerman had a bloody nose and a wound to the back of his head. Most seem to fail to mention the fight at all. Obviously the police have a lot more detail in this regard, and we are just left to speculate. How much was Zimmerman and Martin hurt from the fight? It would go a long way in proving that Zimmerman was in a fight for his life if they had photos of his bloody face to back it up. It would of course disprove that he was fighting for his life if Zimmerman was relatively unscathed.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Here's a girl who was talking to Martin five minutes earlier.

This was a hate crime.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

I've read dozens of articles on this, and only found one that mentioned Zimmerman had a bloody nose and a wound to the back of his head. Most seem to fail to mention the fight at all. Obviously the police have a lot more detail in this regard, and we are just left to speculate. How much was Zimmerman and Martin hurt from the fight? It would go a long way in proving that Zimmerman was in a fight for his life if they had photos of his bloody face to back it up. It would of course disprove that he was fighting for his life if Zimmerman was relatively unscathed.

What's your source on this? I'd be interested to see it.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It doesnt matter to me if the kid punched him, if you ask me, it seems pretty clear that Zimmerman instigated the assault

You don't have a right to start a fight with someone and then shoot them if they defend themselves. That's not what stand your ground means. Stand your ground means that Martin could have legally shot Zimmerman, not the other way around. Of course if Zimmerman had been shot there'd be like, an investigation or something.

override367 on
  • Options

Preventing him from walking home would be considered false imprisonment. In that case Martin would be able to justify using physical force to get away, or defend himself.

Following someone, asking them their name, where they live and what their doing is not preventing them from walking home. While some may feel that being a jerk, and not minding your own business is grounds for getting beat up, the law will not see it that way.

Unfortunately in this case you will only get one side of the story as to the events that led up to the fight. A side that is likely to put Zimmerman in the best light possible.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that considering the state of its Stand Your Ground law... every black man in Florida would now be justified in shooting Zimmerman on sight.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It should be noted that Zimmerman may describe himself as a "neighborhood watch" guy it doesn't mean he has any authority whatsoever

• Options

Preventing him from walking home would be considered false imprisonment. In that case Martin would be able to justify using physical force to get away, or defend himself.

Following someone, asking them their name, where they live and what their doing is not preventing them from walking home. While some may feel that being a jerk, and not minding your own business is grounds for getting beat up, the law will not see it that way.

Unfortunately in this case you will only get one side of the story as to the events that led up to the fight. A side that is likely to put Zimmerman in the best light possible.

I'm sorry, I forgot that in Florida members of the neighborhood watch have the powers of the police to execute a Terry stop.

• Options

What's your source on this? I'd be interested to see it.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/15/2696446_p2/trayvon-martin-case.html

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It doesnt matter to me if the kid punched him, if you ask me, it seems pretty clear that Zimmerman instigated the assault

You don't have a right to start a fight with someone and then shoot them if they defend themselves. That's not what stand your ground means. Stand your ground means that Martin could have legally shot Zimmerman, not the other way around. Of course if Zimmerman had been shot there'd be like, an investigation or something.

The only way the instigator may use deadly force is if the initial victim escalates. If Zimmerman punched Martin, the Martin pulled out a gun or beat him to the point where he legitimately feared for his life, Zimmerman could shoot him even though he was the aggressor. That is clearly not what happened here.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    It should be noted that Zimmerman may describe himself as a "neighborhood watch" guy it doesn't mean he has any authority whatsoever

Neighborhood watches have authority?

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote: »

Neighborhood watches have authority?

Depending on the state and type of association a Neighberhood watch person can send you a very strong worded official letter on behalf of the association notifying you of their intention to sue you because you've left the Christmas lights up too long.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options

All I had heard/seen so far was "He followed him in the car. He called 911. 911 said 'we don't want you following him'. he continued to follow him, got out of his car, engaged in an altercation, and then shot him."

When he was on the phone to the 911 dispatcher you hear him start to breath heavy as if running. The dispatcher asks, "Are you following him? We don't need you to do that." Most media sources translate that into, "Zimmerman was ordered by police to stay in his car," so I understand the confusion.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Try again.

Zimmerman: "These a**holes always get away."

Dispatcher: "Are you following him?"

Zimmerman: "Yeah."

Dispatcher: "We don't need you to do that."

Ugh, this transcript was edited. Grabbing the real one.

mindspork on
  • Options
    Here's a girl who was talking to Martin five minutes earlier.

That witness account definitely contradicts that Zimmerman did not initiate the encounter. If it is different than what Zimmerman told police then this could be key to showing that Zimmerman's testimony was inaccurate.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Alright, transcript of Zimmerman's original call to the non-emergency #.
    Dispatcher: Sanford Police Department. …
    Zimmerman: Hey we've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a
    real suspicious guy, uh, [near] Retreat View Circle, um, the best address I can
    give you is 111 Retreat View Circle. This guy looks like he's up to no good, or
    he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking
    about.
    Dispatcher: OK, and this guy is he white, black, or Hispanic?
    Zimmerman: He looks black.
    Dispatcher: Did you see what he was wearing?
    Zimmerman: Yeah. A dark hoodie, like a grey hoodie, and either jeans or
    sweatpants and white tennis shoes. He's [unintelligible], he was just staring…
    Dispatcher: OK, he's just walking around the area…
    Zimmerman: …looking at all the houses.
    Dispatcher: OK…
    Zimmerman: Now he's just staring at me.
    Dispatcher: OK—you said it's 1111 Retreat View? Or 111?
    Zimmerman: That's the clubhouse…
    Dispatcher: That's the clubhouse, do you know what the—he's near the
    clubhouse right now?
    Zimmerman: Yeah, now he's coming towards me.
    Dispatcher: OK.
    Zimmerman: He's got his hand in his waistband. And he's a black male.
    Dispatcher: How old would you say he looks?
    Zimmerman: He's got button on his shirt, late teens.
    Dispatcher: Late teens ok.
    Zimmerman: Somethings wrong with him. Yup, he's coming to check me out, he's got
    something in his hands, I don't know what his deal is.
    Dispatcher: Just let me know if he does anything ok
    Zimmerman: How long until you get an officer over here?
    Dispatcher: Yeah we've got someone on the way, just let me know if this guy does
    anything else.
    Zimmerman: Okay. These assholes they always get away. When you come to the
    clubhouse you come straight in and make a left. Actually you would go past the
    clubhouse.
    Dispatcher: So it's on the lefthand side from the clubhouse?
    Zimmerman: No you go in straight through the entrance and then you make a left…uh
    you go straight in, don't turn, and make a left. Shit he's running.
    Dispatcher: He's running? Which way is he running?
    Zimmerman: Down towards the other entrance to the neighborhood.
    Dispatcher: Which entrance is that that he's heading towards?
    Zimmerman: The back entrance…fucking [unintelligible]
    Dispatcher: Are you following him?
    Zimmerman: Yeah
    Dispatcher: Ok, we don't need you to do that.
    Zimmerman: Ok
    Dispatcher: Alright sir what is your name?
    Zimmerman: George…He ran.
    Dispatcher: Alright George what's your last name?
    Zimmerman: Zimmerman
    Dispatcher: And George what's the phone number you're calling from?
    Zimmerman: [redacted]
    Dispatcher: Alright George we do have them on the way, do you want to meet with the
    officer when they get out there?
    Zimmerman: Alright, where you going to meet with them at?
    Zimmerman: If they come in through the gate, tell them to go straight past the
    club house, and uh, straight past the club house and make a left, and then they
    go past the mailboxes, that’s my truck...[unintelligible]
    Dispatcher: What address are you parked in front of?
    Zimmerman: I don’t know, it’s a cut through so I don’t know the address.
    Dispatcher: Okay do you live in the area?
    Zimmerman: Yeah, I...[unintelligible]
    Dispatcher: What’s your apartment number?
    Zimmerman: It’s a home it’s 1950, oh crap I don’t want to give it all out, I don’t
    know where this kid is.
    Dispatcher: Okay do you want to just meet with them right near the mailboxes
    then?
    Zimmerman: Yeah that’s fine.
    Dispatcher: Alright George, I’ll let them know to meet you around there okay?
    Zimmerman: Actually could you have them call me and I’ll tell them where I’m at?
    Dispatcher: Okay, yeah that’s no problem.
    Zimmerman: Should I give you my number or you got it?
    Dispatcher: Yeah I got it [redacted]
    Zimmerman: Yeah you got it.
    Dispatcher: Okay no problem, I’ll let them know to call you when you’re in the
    area.
    Zimmerman: Thanks.
    Dispatcher: You’re welcome.

mindspork on
  • Options
    mindsportk

Thank you for the transcript. I was looking all over for one yesterday. Just found this after looking again.

http://www.ksat.com/news/911-calls-paint-picture-of-chaos-after-Fla-teen-is-shot/-/478452/9616000/-/qqt7kcz/-/index.html

Looks like they have all the other 911 calls as well.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    <IANAL>
    Wow, I always assumed self-defense was an affirmative defense with a preponderance of evidence standard. Turns out its basically an affirmative defense but the prosecutor must (generally) prove beyond a reasonable doubt that at least one of the required conditions of self-defense have not been met.

Zimmerman seems like he would by his own admission fail self defense even in Florida. Chapter 776
    776.041 Use of force by aggressor.—The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:
    (1) Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or
    (2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:
    (a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or
    (b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.
    </IANAL>

Zimmerman followed the teenager in his car and chased him down. I can't see a plausible argument that he doesn't meet the above standard, which does require retreat. This is still weaker than most jurisdictions

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    mindsportk

Thank you for the transcript. I was looking all over for one yesterday. Just found this after looking again.

http://www.ksat.com/news/911-calls-paint-picture-of-chaos-after-Fla-teen-is-shot/-/478452/9616000/-/qqt7kcz/-/index.html

Looks like they have all the other 911 calls as well.
    Officers Timothy Smith and Ricardo Alayo said they noted a black male in a gray hooded sweatshirt lying face-down in the grass, as well as a white male in the area.

Lying face down? I'm trying to figure out how they were fighting if Martin ended up face down.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    If I'm reading that right, Pants, the CT laws you state seem to indicate both "Duty to retreat" and "Comply with Demand".

The FL 'castle law' apparently has "stand your ground" provisions. I'm trying to find it now.

This discussion has been closed.