Options

A Thread About Movies

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    It smacks me largely of (and forgive if I'm wrong) people hunting for niche authority or credibility. It's foreignness and twee stylings would seem right up the alley of many who may be predisposed towards those things.
    I like your thoughts and opinions on film, but every now and then... Criticism is one thing, but this sort of pre-emptive blanket ad hominem directed at the people who disagree with you - what gives?
    Gotta get that quota up by the end of the month.

!
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    It smacks me largely of (and forgive if I'm wrong) people hunting for niche authority or credibility. It's foreignness and twee stylings would seem right up the alley of many who may be predisposed towards those things.
    I like your thoughts and opinions on film, but every now and then... Criticism is one thing, but this sort of pre-emptive blanket ad hominem directed at the people who disagree with you - what gives?

Y'know...

Ross said what he said, but he also kind of said it in a way that specifically indicts anyone who takes issue with it.

I did like Howl's Moving Castle quite a lot, but it also had the unintentional charm of a Terry Gilliamesque walking castle.

He's not targeting ALL fans, just people looking for something blatantly 'foreign' to latch onto, that are not approaching a concept of worldliness with any sense of scrutiny. 'People who do all their shopping at one culture store,' etc.

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    wandering wrote: »
    Spirited Away does something interesting character arc-wise: at the beginning of the movie Chihiro's sullen and whiny and whatnot but then she grows over the course of the movie
    and she becomes a go-getter. But then her memory is erased, and it seems like she's reverted back to her old sullen self. But then, at the very end, her father's like "A new home and a new school? It is a bit scary." And (while at the beginning of the movie she hated the fact that they were moving) she says, enthusiastically: "I think I can handle it!"

What a great ending! I got goosebumps. At first you think think the movie's going to end on a slightly unsatisfying note - but then bam! you learn that, while Chihiro doesn't remember her adventures, they still had a positive, unconscious effect on her.

But then I learned those last lines weren't in the original Japanese film! They were added in by Disney's localization team. In the original movie Chihiro is basically unchanged at the end of the movie - the only thing she gets out out of her adventures is a magical hairband with vague protective powers.

I have mixed feelings about those added last lines. Because while I like the American ending better, I feel like if one of cinema's greatest artists decides he wants to break the rules of storytelling and end his movie on a weird, unsatisfying note, well, isn't it best to let him do what he wants?

I would argue that the audience can infer the change in her character being permanent without the added dialogue, which is just a way of making it extra-obvious to the audience. Her not saying "I think I can handle it!" outright doesn't imply that she's not changed/matured at all.

EDIT: Woah, my bad, I didn't realize I was 3 pages behind the most recent post. Sorry!

Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Waldo wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Spirited Away does something interesting character arc-wise: at the beginning of the movie Chihiro's sullen and whiny and whatnot but then she grows over the course of the movie
    and she becomes a go-getter. But then her memory is erased, and it seems like she's reverted back to her old sullen self. But then, at the very end, her father's like "A new home and a new school? It is a bit scary." And (while at the beginning of the movie she hated the fact that they were moving) she says, enthusiastically: "I think I can handle it!"

What a great ending! I got goosebumps. At first you think think the movie's going to end on a slightly unsatisfying note - but then bam! you learn that, while Chihiro doesn't remember her adventures, they still had a positive, unconscious effect on her.

But then I learned those last lines weren't in the original Japanese film! They were added in by Disney's localization team. In the original movie Chihiro is basically unchanged at the end of the movie - the only thing she gets out out of her adventures is a magical hairband with vague protective powers.

I have mixed feelings about those added last lines. Because while I like the American ending better, I feel like if one of cinema's greatest artists decides he wants to break the rules of storytelling and end his movie on a weird, unsatisfying note, well, isn't it best to let him do what he wants?

I would argue that the audience can infer the change in her character being permanent without the added dialogue, which is just a way of making it extra-obvious to the audience. Her not saying "I think I can handle it!" outright doesn't imply that she's not changed/matured at all.

EDIT: Woah, my bad, I didn't realize I was 3 pages behind the most recent post. Sorry!
    Yeah, if you had been paying attention you would've realized that liking a Miyazaki movie is only something you do because its foreignness and twee stylings are right up your alley, seeing as you're predisposed towards these things.

It's funny; I've seen Spirited Away at least 3 times, I think, and I don't remember the line from the end, even though I'm fairly sure I watched it in English each time. I guess I'd have to go back and check, but I think I agree with you: the line at the end doesn't make much difference.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I saw the Clash of the Titans remake this weekend, and it was just average, even for a summer blockbuster movie. I preferred Immortals because it didn't feel like it was hopping from point to point on the script just because (Le Chiffre fills the tough but noble role, you can figure out that no one but Perseus is going to come back from the trip, etc). Someone mentioned that the scorpion fight seemed to exist simply because they wanted to have CGI scorpions in the movie, and it really feels that way.

The weird thing was that I rented it on iTunes, and I'm watching it on the TV and pull up the status bar, and I think there's 10 more minutes left on the film, but it's just all the damn credits for the film, and the film just kind of ends on an odd zoomed out shot.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    USA TODAY wrote:
    'Hunger Games' devours the competition at box office
    By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

The Hunger Games thundered to the third best debut in history this weekend, with $155 million, charging the box office and launching a franchise that could challenge the Twilight series.

Hunger's haul exceeded most analysts' highest expectations and marked a huge opening for a first-time film. Of the two films with bigger debuts, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 ($169.1 million) and The Dark Knight ($158 million), both are sequels.

The film, based on Suzanne Collins' popular trilogy and starring Jennifer Lawrence, broke from the gate at midnight Friday, earning $19.7 million and seventh place in the all-time midnight screening record books. Hallows remains the runaway champ, collecting $43.5 million in its midnight shows last year.

Still, Hunger mustered plenty to score the highest debut on record for March, besting Alice in Wonderland's $116.1 million.

Gitesh Pandya of Boxofficeguru says that teen fans of the 2008 novel propelled the hit. "A massive built-in audience has been hungry for this movie," he says.

In the long run, Pandya says, the Hunger trilogy could challenge the Twilight series by appealing to both genders.

"One major difference is that (Hunger) has more male appeal," he says, adding that distributor Lionsgate "has been emphasizing the action in its male-skewing TV spots, and the romance is a minor part of the story, anyway."

Males and females responded strongly to the film, promising a healthy run through March and much of April. A whopping 95% of moviegoers recommended the movie, according to survey site Rottentomatoes.com. Critics weren't far behind; 86% of reviewers gave it a thumbs-up, the site says.

The studio plans to release part two, Catching Fire, on Nov. 22, 2013. While details haven't been finalized on future installments, analysts say at least a three-part series is inevitable.

Hunger "is the first true event film of 2012," says Tim Briody of Boxofficeprophets.com. "This is largely unprecedented for any franchise, much less a new one. It's the sort of behavior you'd expect from a sequel, not the first entry in an unproven series."Hunger's numbers came despite the Sweet 16 tournament games of the NCAA basketball championship.

No studio challenged Hunger this weekend, leaving the top of the box office to holdovers.

The remake comedy 21 Jump Street took second with $21.3 million, followed by The Lorax with $13.1 million.

John Carter, the $250 million sci-fi flop, was fourth with $5 million. The fantasy film has done $62.3 million in three weeks.

The action film Act of Valor rounded out the top five with $2.1 million.

Hunger helped propel movie attendance to 22% over the same period last year.

Final figures are due Monday.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    I was not expecting this.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I certainly was

Better this than Twilight

• Options
    This certainly has a broader appeal.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    One thing I find incredibly interesting is how uninteresting box office records are to me now.

I don't say this as a cynic. I do think it's a fun little thing to follow, but at the same time I think culture has changed to a point that whereas we used to have a cultural phenomena once every 5-10 years, we now have one once ever 5-10 months.

In a year's time there's going to be some new book series or tv show or property and due to inflation and ticket prices it's going to absolutely trounce the Hunger Games. We're never going to see another "Titanic was the highest grossing movie for x years" again.

We'll also probably never see another standalone, non-franchise, not based on an existing property movie hold that top spot again either.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    avatar is gonna be a franchise but it did take that spot as one technically right?

or do you think coming from cameron basically makes it non-standalone? I could understand that point of view.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    full disclosure, I wasn't even taking Avatar into consideration.

I think in a world without these franchises, Avatar was the natural progression to take over number 1 (like it or not).

I was speaking directly to this year to year baton passing between Harry Potter to TDK to Twilight to Hunger Games to X (obviously my order is incorrect).

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    So does that mean they'll split the last book into two separate movies?

That's officially a thing now right?

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Malkor wrote: »

They would have to, anyway.

The scope of the last book is too big for 1 film, isn't it?

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Even if they don't "have to", they undoubtedly will.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »

They would have to, anyway.

The scope of the last book is too big for 1 film, isn't it?

As written, no, but that's because Katniss spends most of the book being passive, then there's about 100 pages of awesome urban warfare, then the last 50 pages are made of stupid and shouldn't be used in the movie. You could absolutely make a 2, 2.5 hour movie out of the material just by cutting down the boring beginning and replacing the stupid ending.

In fact the book is already so delineated into "moping, fighting, moping" that I'm not actually sure there's a good cut-off point in there, unless you arbitrarily break halfway through the best part. Otherwise you're going to get a terrible movie made of all moping before you get to the fighting, or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zgb8N-5py0

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I seriously don't get the hate for Deathly Hallows: Part 1.

I absolutely loved it compared to the shitty Part 2.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sorry if already posted, but surely you have all seen the teaser for the new Cronenberg film?

(its probably not safe for work)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zaxvLFDpGw

Classic Cronenberg, fuck yeah!

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    That looks cool, and I support the incredibly obvious manner in which Pattinson has been trying to alienate people who enjoyed him in Twilight.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I have high hopes for the future of Robert Pattinson.

• Options
    tumblr_lyh1gt62wL1qct7h1o1_r1_250.giftumblr_lyh1gt62wL1qct7h1o2_r1_250.gif
    tumblr_lyh1gt62wL1qct7h1o9_r1_250.giftumblr_lyh1gt62wL1qct7h1o10_r1_250.gif

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    He seems like even more of an idiot in his non-Twilight persona.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Right, all those witty things he likes to say translate well to text, but if you listen to him actually trying to form words with his mouth, he comes across as a gibbering idiot.

adytum on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    I feel it's unacceptable to have seen back to the future any less than 5 times. People at work think I'm crazy. Who's in the wrong?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I feel it's unacceptable to have seen back to the future any less than 5 times. People at work think I'm crazy. Who's in the wrong?

You both are. If you can still count how many times you've seen it, you're wrong.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I love Miyazaki, and not because it's cool to like niche stuff. I don't even consider it niche. My fav' movie of his is Valley of the Wind, I was about 12 when I saw it for the first time. I'll admit that could mean I've got some thick nostalgia glasses on, yet I don't think his movies are anywhere near perfect. He has some gorgeous animations and whimsical stories, stories that tend to meander a bit. I think he suffers from what Lucas suffers from, being surrounded by yes men that will never challenge them. My toddler son loves ponyo, but that actual story is just a wreck, a beautiful wreck though.

armageddonbound on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Ponyo was utterly incomprehensible as a narrative, but so goddamn beautiful in an age of shoddy 3D animation that I didn't care in the slightest.

I don't watch Miyazaki because he's foreign or niche; but I think the foreign/niche nature of his work is what leads to the sense of a refreshing originality. Perhaps if I had been born and raised in Japan his movies would feel as staid and familiar as the Disney formula does to me now; but as it is they're markedly different from everything else I watch. And as someone who watches a hell of a lot of movies, I prize that very highly.

It is, by the way, obnoxiously insulting to presume that someone's likes and dislikes come from a place of posturing and bias rather than honest appreciation.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Cronenberg always leaves me unsatisfied. Here's to hoping this changes with Cosmopolis.

Eastern Promises was the closest I've gotten to enjoying him so maybe he's on the upswing for me!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

You both are. If you can still count how many times you've seen it, you're wrong.

^ That one. Obviously all parties involved need to make the time to see it again.

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I just watched Buried with Ryan Reynolds, it was streaming on Netflix. Heard good things on a film podcast I listen to, and was very pleased! I highly recommend this if you have the stomach / patience for a limited storytelling type of film. I dug the heck of out of this movie. (Pun slightly intended.)

End spoilers.
    The ending absolutely punched me in the gut. I'm so disturbed and saddened that I don't even want to go to bed right now. =/

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ponyo is one of Miyazaki's best and most beautiful and most surreal and most adorable movies, sez I. I'm glad Miyazaki's talent hasn't faded with age.

wandering on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    I have tried to watch every single Miyazaki film, and disliked them all. Ponderous, thin, childish, samey, and impossibly precious for what is supposed to be considered "serious" animation.

I, for one, appreciate the samey unrisky derivative Whispers of the Heart, a film completely dedicated to John Denver's "Take Me Home Country Roads". I believe it rose above all the other movies that were focused on John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads".

In other anime movie news, I just saw Redline, and it blew my pants, socks and underwear away. It's as if Speed Racer the movie was an anime.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Saw Immortals. Waaaay bloodier and darker than I was expecting. The previews made it look almost....childish? I dunno. It almost looked like a kid's movie from the trailers. I really liked it, though. I thought it was very pretty.

Also saw Hanna. Not much to say about it, but I enjoyed it as well.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I feel the complaints about movie Tintin as a character also applies to comic book Tintin. He's a blank slate of politeness who for some reason is friends with everyone. His reactions limit themselves to being unhappy when things are bad, happy when things are good and saving things in the nick of due to some factoid he learned somewhere. Essentially, he's Dean from the Venture Brothers except people actually like him and he has even less of a sex drive.

The books are about exotic locales and shark subs. Tintin remains unknown forever.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Also saw Hanna. Not much to say about it, but I enjoyed it as well.

Solid movie, saw it one of the movie channels last weekend. I liked the contrast between Hanna's naivete and competence. I didn't like
    that Blanchett's villain was so one-dimensional, or that the big secret was that Hanna was a genetically-engineered super soldier.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Houn wrote: »

^ That one. Obviously all parties involved need to make the time to see it again.

I think I've just met my two best friends. If either of you ever borrow my car, I'll be sure to tell you if it has a blind spot.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Watched Safehouse last night, which was a surprise as I wasn't even aware it was out yet, and yet here it already was, at my local also-ran theater.

That should've been my warning right away.

Uh...I don't know. I really can't think well right now after I damn near killed my fish last night and now he might be okay after I thought he was dying and...

Look. Safehouse wasn't that great. The director seemed to know how everything was supposed to look, so he had nothing to bring to do it himself. It was very copy-paste. And the plot was incomplete at best.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    There's only one Safe House worth watching, and it stars Patrick Stewart.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Saw 21 Jump Street yesterday, and it was as excellent as people have been saying. Can't remember the last time I cried from laughing that much at a movie. I was in pain--good pain--at just the half-way point.
    And as someone who's actually hallucinated at school, the portion of the movie where they do just that hit especially close to home.

Highly recommended.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Watched The Fountain last night. I was really looking forward to watching it, but I was left rather underwhelmed and bewildered by the end of it. I think I went in with a different idea of what it was about, and instead I got three parallel stories that I had a hard time tying together. Now I know a few of you will jump on me for saying I wanted something different than what I got so therefore it is bad. That is not what I'm saying. I'm just saying what I got wasn't very good.

Hugh Jackman is fantastic however, and I did enjoy the modern-day plot thread with his wife. The space traveller plot was interesting to a degree as well. On the whole, the film was beautifully shot and the special effects were great. So there's that. But yeah... disappointed with the rest.

This discussion has been closed.