As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sine Mora - Quite possibly the best horizontal shmup of all time

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Every time I see a really good shmup or fighting game I lament the fact that I'm so utterly terrible at them I couldnt enjoy them anyway.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    You know, there's no guarantee of a PC release at all guys. If you don't own a 360, that's one thing, but if you do, you probably shouldn't wait if this game interests you. Especially since it doesn't look like it's selling all that well (which makes a PC port even less likely).

I only asked because I really don't like playing games on consoles anymore. I have an Xbox, sure, and I guess I could go in there and grab the game but I don't know if I'd ever play it. The only time the TV or Xbox even gets turned on is to watch Netflix and that's not even all that often anymore.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    XBLA is the one final thing holding me back from going full PC.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Another reason I need a 360. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Another reason I need a 360. :(

The 360 is well worth a purchase if you're a shmup fan. So many games to choose from on XBLA (and even a few really good ones on XBLIG like Leave Home).

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Every time I see a really good shmup or fighting game I lament the fact that I'm so utterly terrible at them I couldnt enjoy them anyway.

some of the bullet hell in these games scares the hell out of me when they first start

cos im thinking "no way i can work out how to avoid that"

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    When you realize that your hit box is maybe 2x2 pixels in size, it gets easier.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Good lord, this game. THIS GAEM. You would never know it was Grasshopper until the furries start dropping F-bombs and telling their story of gunpowder, treason and plot.

But I'm stuck in the Story mode as Dryak, (female leopard lady, I don't know her name.)

There's this pipe there you break open to get inside, but inside, I either get hit by the garbage or die instantly at the end of the pipe. I think I need glasses, but I don't see what I'm supposed to be doing.

EDIT - Fly through the rubble. Wow that part is kinda lame, but the rest of the game is gold, and the story is really fucked up.
    The Empire are polygamists and they genocided the shit out of the monogomists. The Empire ritualistically makes their elderly commit suicide as their children grow up.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Cantido wrote: »

EDIT - Fly through the rubble. Wow that part is kinda lame, but the rest of the game is gold, and the story is really fucked up.

The worst bit is that it's easy to lose a lot of your weapon's level, and guess what immediately follows that section? A boss fight. Good luck fighting it with your weapons set to default power.

Ohh and about the Hungarian voice over work. Holy shit, it seems like the line delivery of every character was done really well.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    During the boss fights there are attacks that seam impossible to avoid (like the big laser attacks that sweep up and down). Is there a way to avoid attacks like that, or should I just take the hit and not bother trying to avoid them?

This is the first schmup I've ever played, and I'm having a blast, but I feel very noobian.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Played the demo last night and I am in love. But man does this game need a PC port.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    I haven't seen any attacks that are impossible to avoid. Keep in mind that you can move to the right and left and not just up and down. For example, the laser attack from the octopus mid-boss in the first level, you can just move to the top-right to avoid it.

I played some more last night. Got to the train boss in Arcade Mode on hard. Also, tried Insane mode - as far as I can tell, it's identical to Hard mode except enemies shoot a few bullets around them when they die and the timers might be slightly shorter.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Played the demo last night and I am in love. But man does this game need a PC port.

Microsoft says U MAD?

I'm sorely dissapointed this game thoughtlessly earned itself an M rating exclusively due to language. The story and all its horrors and tradgedies could have been an E10 and be as memorable as goddamn Bastion if the writers didn't throw in all this foul language.

Edit~ I'm not using the right words here. Bastion has an excellent story for more age groups. Sine Mora had this opportunity and throws it away exclusively due to dick~killing language. Anyway, I beat Story mode on Casual, but I feel like moving on to Arcade.

The game has a second ending, apparently.

Cantido on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    I would go so far as to say Deathsmiles topped Gradius V, but that's because of new technology allowing things like the best leaderboard and replay functions I've ever seen. Gradius V is still one of the best, most immortal shumps out there. I also like DS's difficulty curve and pace more.

I was really disappointed by Deathsmiles. The graphics reminded me of the original Donkey Kong Country (and not in a good way), the music wasn't memorable, and the gameplay didn't impress me. Didn't hate it but I really didn't see where the hype came from.

Did you 1CC either Gradius V or DeathSmiles?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The camera is shit during any and all cave sequences. The art and camera make it impossible to tell where the ceiling and floor are and aren't with respect to your plane. If they wanted wall damage, the camera needs to be perfect, or if the camera has this effect, there needs to be no wall damage.

There is not a single cave sequence where I take a hit, not knowing what I touched. So my two major beefs with Sine Mora are the needless cursing and shit camera.

See the camera at 2:00? This is how you have a 3d background. The camera needs to be tight enough to know exactly where the wall is and isn't.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQs8cVpGA5o

I can agree that Deathsmiles advanced play requires memorizing "turn on Power Up here, grind points there," and so on. It's doesn't feel as blatant as RJF though. I 1cc'd Deathsmiles with every character, but I had to avoid Death Mode. In other words, I would not set every stage to Level 3 even though I could handle it.

I had top DS leaderboard scores for 360 Arcade Mode for a while. Black Label...not a chance :D

Cantido on
  • Options
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    I would go so far as to say Deathsmiles topped Gradius V, but that's because of new technology allowing things like the best leaderboard and replay functions I've ever seen. Gradius V is still one of the best, most immortal shumps out there. I also like DS's difficulty curve and pace more.

I was really disappointed by Deathsmiles. The graphics reminded me of the original Donkey Kong Country (and not in a good way), the music wasn't memorable, and the gameplay didn't impress me. Didn't hate it but I really didn't see where the hype came from.

Nope.

Maybe DeathSmiles because amazing at high level play but at low-medium play, I just thought it was kind of boring.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    man i would murder a dude for a Gradius V port to the ps3.

anyway, this thread reminded me that the arcade near here put in Progear recently. that game is a blast.

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    man i would murder a dude for a Gradius V port to the ps3.

anyway, this thread reminded me that the arcade near here put in Progear recently. that game is a blast.

I second that murder!

My university's food/pub has a Capcom cabinet. I thought it had just all its fighting games, but I'm going to have to give it a spin because it was playing one of the Aero Fighters game.

I wonder if it has Mars Matrix. Its the only game I 1cc'd with an audience :D

• Options
    I like Sine Mora more but I would still be completely in favor of a Gradius V HD for XBLA or the PSN at $10-$15.

• Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    Yea, about that second ending. Anyone know how to get it? I was going through the neogaf thread the other day and saw someone reffer to it as Alternate Story mode.

• Options
    I think you need to beat Challenging. And possibly more than once. Th true ending is still fucked up though, I watched it.

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I am extremely curious about the story, and I really liked the music.. but I am terrible at shmups.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    Dalantia wrote: »
    I am extremely curious about the story, and I really liked the music.. but I am terrible at shmups.

Its all Star Fox esque animals...all really fucked up in th head. The Empire genocides the shit out of a time controlling race "The Enkies." The remaining two million Enkies are rendered comatose and stuck in a prison where they generate time control for the Empire.

The story revolves around a group led by Koss, a handicapped veteran who wants revenge against The Empire, who executed his son for refusing to dump the last of four nukes on the Enkies. The closest thing to a main character, he's also the most evil.

The second group is the last Enkies trying to rescue their imprisoned kin, while comtemplating if they can.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote: »
    The problem with both Raiden Jet Fighters and Cave are similar. They both concern themselves with memorizing the levels. In RJF it's finding the power ups. In Cave it's memorizing enemy and bullet patterns. Not necessarily bad gameplay, but I think it's slightly counter intuitive with the genre.

Ikaruga gets a pass because it elevated the concept.
    SteevL wrote: »
    I watched a quick look of this on Giant Bomb and love that all the narration and speech is in Hungarian. Not a language you hear often in gaming!

Dang.

I had hoped they opted to create their own language but I appreciate this choice as well.

Ikaruga never impressed me. DoDonPachi, Esp.Galuda, and Guwange most definitely did.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    The thing that may very well push me over the edge to buying it (I played the demo and had fun, despite that whole sucking at this):

How is the life/time/WHATEVER system justified in-story? That's the big.. thing I want to know.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular

Nope.

Maybe DeathSmiles because amazing at high level play but at low-medium play, I just thought it was kind of boring.

It's boring because you continue. Just keep in mind that someday you really should 1CC EspGaluda, Mushihimesama Futari, Mars Matrix etc.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The thing that may very well push me over the edge to buying it (I played the demo and had fun, despite that whole sucking at this):

How is the life/time/WHATEVER system justified in-story? That's the big.. thing I want to know.

I don't know how to explain that one. The Enkies are the time controlling race. They all live knowing exactly when they will die, with the first one, named Enky, predicting the exact moment when they go extinct. The Empire imprisons them to predict shifts in their world's volatile landscape.

The individual planes use something called a Time Capsule to activate their powers, and this consumes Time Mass, which behaves like regular mass, creates greater "time gravity" the more you have of it. This is why the Empire needs all the Enkies together, because they collectively form more Time Mass. I don't know the whole "plane blows up at zero" thing.

You unlock an encyclopedia after the first run in Story mode. It explains everything from time control to the Enkie calendar versus The Empire calender.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Hmm..

*gets out wallet* All right, Suda, you win again. Curse yoooooou.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Nope.

It's boring because you continue. Just keep in mind that someday you really should 1CC EspGaluda, Mushihimesama Futari, Mars Matrix etc.

Somehow, I don't think the game would suddenly become amazing if I chose not to continue in the final level.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Nope.

Somehow, I don't think the game would suddenly become amazing if I chose not to continue in the final level.

Rainbow knows his shumps. Yes you don't "beat" a shump by seeing the credits. That's not what the problem is here, it's just not for him.

Does this game have leaderboards replays? I can't seem to find them. Ikaruga on XBLA set the standard for that. Also, I really wish Arcade mode had a nice inbetween, rather than just Hard and Insane. Challenging seems good enough. I can't beat Story mode on Challenging...yet.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    By switching to the fightpad, my game dramatically improved, to the point that I think I unlocked an Easter Egg because when I started playing as Durak in Story mode, a piano fell and killed me.

Uh...yay? :(

EDIT - Apparently this is a requirement for the final "promotion" achievement.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Still makes more sense than Killer7.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Loving everything about this so far. I'm at Chapter III of story mode, on normal difficulty. It's been a tad on the easy side so far, but I know I've only just scratched the surface here.

• Options
    Still makes more sense than Killer7.

I found out it's a fake item. Avoid a dark blue item with "???" written on it. But you need to touch it at least once to get the final achievement.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    After reading about how incredibly dark the story is in this game, I just have to give it a go.

It helps that I love this genre as well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I moved the 360 to my workstation screen so I can see what I'm doing better and hear the composer's music a bit better. My living room ain't go no bass.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    This story is pitch freaking black, considering it leads off with genocide and gets more personal from there.

Still makes more sense than Killer7, despite time travel.

Also, I'm starting to get used to the notion that my entire plane is not where I die if shot.

Dalantia on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Okay, to get the true ending, you have to beat Story on Challenging at least once, which is no longer hard for me. (1080p monitor + SSIV Fightpad + Type C controls = I NEVER DIE.)

From there you unlock Alternate Story, in which the between-chapter expositions change perspectives. For example, in the prolog, Akyta narrates instead of Koss.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Just beat the game on Normal and read through the whole Encyclopedia.

Can I just say holy shit? This is one of the coolest concepts I've heard of.
    So the race of creatures who can move freely through time, Enkies, find the only geologically stable place on the planet that can sustain life. A growing empire realizes how valuable such a piece of earth is, and decides to go in and take it, using various drugs and other methods to stop the time-travel abilities of the Enkies. Only when the dust settles, they have massively fewer captives than they ought to. Whoops, looks like most of the Enkies got out, where "out" means "some point in time". Essentially, the empire could be attacked, at any point in time, by any number of fighters, by an enemy they can never count, find, or follow.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Just beat the game on Normal and read through the whole Encyclopedia.

Can I just say holy shit? This is one of the coolest concepts I've heard of.
    So the race of creatures who can move freely through time, Enkies, find the only geologically stable place on the planet that can sustain life. A growing empire realizes how valuable such a piece of earth is, and decides to go in and take it, using various drugs and other methods to stop the time-travel abilities of the Enkies. Only when the dust settles, they have massively fewer captives than they ought to. Whoops, looks like most of the Enkies got out, where "out" means "some point in time". Essentially, the empire could be attacked, at any point in time, by any number of fighters, by an enemy they can never count, find, or follow.

Then there's The Project.
    The Project rounds up the Enkies, makes them vegetables and keeps them in the final reactor place. Not only are they trapped there forever, their powers are intact. The empire uses this both as a weapon and as a utility to predict tectonic shifts in the quakeriffic landscape and national policy is that this is a necessary evil, and that the Enkies serve the planet, because the Empire and the planet Seol are pretty much synonymous at this point.

Cantido on