As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's go back to my place and I can put my bar magnet into your solenoid [For Science!]

124»

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Fyndir, that's pretty much my hair.
    Because it is still basically useless and will be 10x less expensive in 10 years

and ceres you should throw your rt thermal cycler out the window because they are the worst and oh god I think I have PTSD

There I've solved everyone's problems

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

The only really irritiating thing about qPCR is how fucking long it takes to set up, and it's all only to find out in two hours whether your numbers look good or if you have to start the whole thing over from square fucking one and scrap the last 20 hours of work plus all the time spent raising whatever you had to harvest because you didn't add one reagent at one stage of one process along the way perfectly and now you have to do everything all over and you only have a week before your presentation and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    So I guess James Cameron got bored of making movies:

First dive to the Challenger Deep since the Trieste in 1960.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

well, holy shit

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Actually, there are plans to use the footage in Avatar 2.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure at this point he only does movies to support his submarining habit.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I had a bad submarining streak back in the 80s

getting low was the best

the highs really sucked though

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I think the best part of that article is that old school Microsoft mogul Paul Allen had his own megayacht out in support of the dive and was relaying the depth reports on twitter.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I couldn't find any footage of this yet - I'm guessing it's still part of an upcoming advertising campaign - but using a phone to drive a car around a circuit seems pretty, well, tech-sciencey.

Also, kinda James Bond.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

My favorite part is how he could find a signal for tweeting down in the Marianas trench.

• Options
    FarthingFarthing Registered User regular
    biology rules physics drools

loving molecular biol these days, I don't like any handwaving in my biological processes.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Farthing wrote: »
    biology rules physics drools

this is actually hilarious

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »

getting low was the best

We should talk about this post.

And how good it is.

Because it is good.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

getting low was the best

We should talk about this post.

And how good it is.

Because it is good.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    It really was quite good.

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    I come here for the science and stay for the fish-keeping.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Physics is killing me. I just have to pass, but I would really like for it not to further ruin my GPA. Currently killing my grade: The Right-Hand Rule. I have a terrible time applying it. Anyone understand it better than I do? :(

• Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ceres wrote: »
    Physics is killing me. I just have to pass, but I would really like for it not to further ruin my GPA. Currently killing my grade: The Right-Hand Rule. I have a terrible time applying it. Anyone understand it better than I do? :(

just remember i x j = k

right hand on x axis (i), so when you bend your fingers they go in the positive direction of y (j)

now j x i = -k, because if you put your hand along the y axis (j), to get your fingers to bend in the positive x (i) direction you have to flip your hand over

when i have to learn goofy rules like that i like to think of simple facts (results), like these two, so i can check myself when i'm applying the rule

tugga on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I use the Gun Rule myself. And yay for a chance to post xkcd without getting yelled at!

right_hand_rule.png

• Options
    if you post xkcd you will always get hugs from me

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Yay science

I'm majoring in biochem and doing pretty well do far

The most fun science thing is colorful titrations

• Options
    I'm a EE, though the stuff I like to take classes on (nanoelectronics and materials) may as well be physics classes. The stuff I do at work isn't nearly as much fun, but they're paying for my MS and I've spent most of the day today posting on PA, so I guess it can't be too bad.

• Options
    xkcd is good when it's educational and informative

• Options
    i want that money poster that xkcd made that visualizes how much money is actually spent

LINK

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    tugga wrote: »
    i want that money poster that xkcd made that visualizes how much money is actually spent

LINK

http://store.xkcd.com/xkcd/#MoneyPoster
    you got 15 bucks?

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

LINK

http://store.xkcd.com/xkcd/#MoneyPoster
    you got 15 bucks?

not atm :>

and when i went to that store i got attracted to the gravity wells and pretty much everything else they have

then i would need to find a spot for it on my wall

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Gross

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh science thread, what goin... oh, never mind.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I always found titrations really boring, despite being pretty damn good at them if I do say so myself.

Tugga, example? We're doing charge x magnetic field x force. It seems simple enough but I never seem to be able to see it when I'm doing a problem, especially when the descriptors used tend to be "into the page" and "out of the page".

Much love for xkcd.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I always found titrations really boring, despite being pretty damn good at them if I do say so myself.

Tugga, example? We're doing charge x magnetic field x force. It seems simple enough but I never seem to be able to see it when I'm doing a problem, especially when the descriptors used tend to be "into the page" and "out of the page".

Much love for xkcd.

i assume youre talking about F = q(V x B)

q = charge so its just a scalar multiple

where you take your velocity vector, V, or the side of your palm, cross it into the magnetic field vector, your bent fingers, and your thumb is the direction of the resultant force

it means if you're riding a charge into a field at a certain direction, a force is applied to make you move along that magnetic field

so if your V is in the same direction of B (youre riding the charge along with the magnetic field), the resultant force on the charge is going to be 0

E: wikipedia has a decent image that might help

500px-Right_hand_rule_cross_product.svg.png

tugga on
  • Options
    That is an excellent image, thank you.

I walked out of my exam on Monday feeling like maybe I managed a 75, and feeling okay about that.

I did not manage a 75. So basically I'm going to need to re-learn my entire physics class before the final. I feel like every time he explains the rule it's a little different, and I feel more and more confused every time he opens his mouth about it.

Hey, anyone have experience working for a temp agency doing lab work?

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    If it makes you feel any better, I got a Physics major without ever reliably knowing the right hand rule. Mostly because our lecturers were never clear on whether we were dealing with conventional current or not, so sometimes everything's reversed because people were dumb a hundred years ago. After a while I just accepted that I had a 50% chance of guessing it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Much love for xkcd.

i assume youre talking about F = q(V x B)

q = charge so its just a scalar multiple

where you take your velocity vector, V, or the side of your palm, cross it into the magnetic field vector, your bent fingers, and your thumb is the direction of the resultant force

it means if you're riding a charge into a field at a certain direction, a force is applied to make you move along that magnetic field

so if your V is in the same direction of B (youre riding the charge along with the magnetic field), the resultant force on the charge is going to be 0

E: wikipedia has a decent image that might help

500px-Right_hand_rule_cross_product.svg.png

That is literally why it is called the 'right hand rule', and is pretty much always the simplest way to remember it.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I'm a EE, though the stuff I like to take classes on (nanoelectronics and materials) may as well be physics classes. The stuff I do at work isn't nearly as much fun, but they're paying for my MS and I've spent most of the day today posting on PA, so I guess it can't be too bad.
    Yay science thread! Yay EE's!
    Yeah, aside from like, circuit layout, most of what I did was physics. Even worked with several physicists doing the same thing I was.
    Most of our lasers could only blind people, not really the burning holes through stuff kind. Though one dude totally burt out an IR camera with one. Science!
    Kadith wrote: »
    too bad engineers are just terrible people
    Yeah, we kinda are. Sorry.

Thro on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Hello, science thread!

Apparently CERN has called a press conference for Wednesday, and the buzz is that they're going to announce that they're 99.99% certain that they've found the Higgs Boson.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hello, science thread!

Apparently CERN has called a press conference for Wednesday, and the buzz is that they're going to announce that they're 99.99% certain that they've found the Higgs Boson.

That would be fabulous but I'm already irritated at how the news outlets are handling it

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Every time any news comes out of CERN I want it to be my friend's dad who did it/found it/announced it

(It virtually never is)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Related but not from CERN, Fermilab scientists at the Tevatron have announced their final results on their Higgs search

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Usagi wrote: »
    Hello, science thread!

That would be fabulous but I'm already irritated at how the news outlets are handling it

EXISTENCE OF GOD : CONFIRMED BY SCIENTISTS
    "God Particles" found in lab, scientists utterly shocked

Brolo on
  • Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    Hello, science thread!

EXISTENCE OF GOD : CONFIRMED BY SCIENTISTS
    "God Particles" found in lab, scientists utterly shocked

Yeah. We should go back in time and kill the fucker who called it the "god particle" as some offhand remark. Way to go, dude!