Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Dial-A-Song. NSFLongdistance

TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonightHas stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Singularity Engine++
Trying this again.

Once upon a time there was a band made of two guys named John. Well, thirty years later there still exists a band made of two guys named John, and they are called They Might Be Giants.

This band is still one one of my favorite bands in the world. Like really, ever (sorry Faith No More but you are a dead tie).

These giants who may be started out as two guys with a guitar, and accordion, a saxophone, and some samples plus a drum machine and they made these songs.

That was a bit of a hit. They did well in New York, but we know New York people are in to weird stuff. These were some other good songs from that first album.

Okay, next album: Lincoln

Okay, so everyone is pretty familiar with this album: Flood

Okay, we're over that, right? I know they used some songs on Tiny Toon Adventures that was great and everything. Let us move on.

Holy SHIT APOLLO 18 was an awesome album (this album turned 20 years old a few days ago).

So 1994 was the year that I actually got to look forward to a new They Might Be Giants album.

John Henry happened, and the Johns had a full band behind them for the first time.

Holy shit.

Factory Showroom, also awesome

Featuring an adorable cover from a band called Cub

My favorite song of the moment...

Then Mink Car? I know I am missing something but this song is so fun.

So, I missed a bunch of stuff. I got lame and stopped listening to fun music.

BUT THEN!

JOIN US came out.

Please fill in all of the blanks that I left open for all of you.

I seriously did that on purpose because I can't possibly list all of my favorite songs in a single post.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN
Tonkka on

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    THIS IS MY THREAD

IT WAS MADE FOR ME

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    No I made it for me.

But I can share.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    fuck YES

GOOD THREAD, BEST TONKKA

E: wait that's a shitty upload I'll find another
    EE: there

VALVEjunkie on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    guys shut up

best drum solo

best

• SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    Yesssssssss!
    Yes!

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    these guys are pretty cool

i like the requisite songs

that's about all i've heard though

4si81Yt.png
    http://comicschat.tumblr.com/ - Buttlord Chats about Comics
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    This song was the first time The Johns appeared on my radar

But it wasn't until this song that I really paid attention to them

Starting in 2002, the band started making and have continued making some of the best music for kids and the young at heart

This was the first album I was around for the release of

TMBG are the first band I really got into and remain my favorite band, even if I am a complete hipster these days. I haven't kept up with their albums since The Else but I still go to their shows. Did I mention that they put on some of the best live shows I've ever seen? I've seen them six times and they are always an absolute delight.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    when i got assassin's creed revelations i put on istanbul not constantinople and ran around istanbul (not constantinople) with it on repeat for like an hour

4si81Yt.png
    http://comicschat.tumblr.com/ - Buttlord Chats about Comics
  • NiryaNirya My name's Bo Rida and I'm here to sayRegistered User regular
    But it wasn't until this song that I really paid attention to them

I was just about to post this song. It is a song I play constantly.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    This song was the first time The Johns appeared on my radar

I remember when they played this on cartoon network

fuckin'

yeah

Other things to be aware of:
    They did some sweet podcasts that no fan should miss out on!

They did this thing where they once wrote and performed a song about every venue of one of their tours!

There's a documentary about them!

(daaang do i need to watch gigantic again)
    (daaang do i need to listen to everything again)

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

There's also a lack of Here Comes Science in this thread.

Fuck. Tonkka. Thank you so much for this thread. I have to go finish doing work but I will be geeking out so hard here this weekend. You ain't seen nothing yet.

• SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular

They tore down Richard's a few years ago and put up a condo. I'm sad now, so keep posting videos to cheer me up.

Skylark wrote: »
    keep posting videos to cheer me up.

You know, I don't think anything about this thread's namesake has been posted. Dial-A-Song was a thing the band implemented when John was injured in a bike accident and couldn't perform. They got an old ass answering machine and would record short songs and messages for people to listen to when they called the number (718-387-6962. Yes, I have it memorized. No, I was never able to get through. Not sure if it's still in service)
    A lot (a lot) of songs got their start as demos on DAS. A good amount of the original versions of these songs are available in some form, some can still be found if you scour the internet, but who knows how many hours of listening that DAS offered over the years.

This demo was recorded in 1983, or possibly earlier, as Dial-A-Song began in that year. A later Dial-A-Song re-appearance of this song featured John Flansburgh saying that this was their "very first song on their very first demo." The song is the same, though the "ba-boo" continues on much longer after the music fades at the end.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    TMBG is one of those bands that by all rights I should be completely in love with but for whatever reason have just never really delved into their stuff?

I should do that.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Why isn't this in the music thread?

hCpR4ri.jpg
    Steam: weavermatic xbox: weavermatico
    Because this isn't a music thread, it's a TMBG thread.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Why must you be the screen door on my submarine?

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

no megathreads!

EzUAYcn.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    30 years are you fucking shitting me

edit: no you are not

Grey Ghost on
    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
    YEAH.

YaYa wrote: »
    guys shut up

best drum solo

best

Holy shit
    my friend who is super into TMBG has told me about this bit but I never could track it down

this is incredible

QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Ah I love these guys. My favorite band in the world up through high school.

Good call on Spiraling Shape Tonkka. That song is fantastic.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    They only ska/band with horns song I like is Beer by Reel Big Fish

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-5618-5257-5789 | Amazon Smile List
    Goose we will Kung Fu fight in Boston.

Goose! wrote: »

what the fuck are you doing in here

QRK7dOP.gif
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »

what the fuck are you doing in here

:^:

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Tonkka yes! I was hoping you would get around to making this thread!

Apollo 18 was one of those albums that I listened to a million times because I only had a cassette player in my car and I happened to have it on cassette tape. It was Apollo 18, Talking Heads' Naked and the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack for like a year straight. Also it turns out my best friend of like forever years now was at the same TMBG concert that I attended in high school the year before we met.

Anyway!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • AntimatterAntimatter Registered User regular
    i'm positive that this song is about the prisoner
    If you need a friend, you know what to do
    You can count on me,'cause I'm the Number Two
    One day at the beach, the next at the zoo
    I'm always around, I'm the Number Two
    i mean, come the fuck on

(i love this band)

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I finally got my hands on their bsides album missalanious T. Love tmbg so so much

I think my favorite sung off of join us is lady and the tiger because I love that thought experiment

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fuck yes, how did I miss this thread? Love me some mothafuckin' TMBG.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    They Might Be Giants has been a part of my life since I was very small

The first album I ever owned was a cassette tape of Flood

they just keep showing up when I least expect them

I love these guys

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    As much as I like Don't Let's Start, I cannot watch that video. Cannot deal.

Also where I work plays the really old version of Istanbul not Constantinople in the dining room and it's strange.

Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
    Recently I met someone else besides me who was introduced to tmbg via tiny toons. It made me happy

YaYa wrote: »
    guys shut up

best drum solo

best

I've seen this, or a version of it, when I saw them live. My mom also hit on Dan the drummer, heavily.

I love They Might Be Giants.

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    Solid thread. Solid band. A+

raneasig.png