As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the Dao of "games journalism"

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    time to wait until I can do stuff

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah facebook

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    I wrote a thing about Mass Effect that's not too terrible I think

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

you made me open some of the facebook games i signed up for ages ago. i kinda hate you now.

Just letting you know.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Orikae I kind of want to write an article about my relationship with Rock Band.

Would you publish it??

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Melding wrote: »

you made me open some of the facebook games i signed up for ages ago. i kinda hate you now.

Just letting you know.

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

• Options

@orikaeshietogsdkl;jjkldgsajkl;sdfa

Could you put like a faq in the op

and add in
    Hey i want a write a thing about (topic) Would you be interested in it?

Yeah sure. So long as it is interesting to read for peopel other then yourself, we'd be more then happy to publish your work

Cause that would cut down a lot of "hey should i write this thing?"

Or at least give me something to be snarky with.

• Options

and add in

Yeah sure. So long as it is interesting to read for peopel other then yourself, we'd be more then happy to publish your work

emosternbp7.png

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    "hey can i write about thing?

no. fuck you."

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »

and add in

emosternbp7.png

Write the fucking thing Pipe, odds are it will get runned. You're an amusing ass guy.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I'm going to write a 20 page review/essay of WWF No Mercy

figured I'd illustrate the similarities between professional wrestling and Marxism

xmassig2.gif
  • Options

figured I'd illustrate the similarities between professional wrestling and Marxism

I hope to god you're being serious. I will use all my clout to get this on the website if i have to.

• Options

and add in

emosternbp7.png

Write the fucking thing Pipe, odds are it will get runned. You're an amusing ass guy.

nope. You've scared me off.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Melding I think it's more that people would like some encouragement and the knowledge that someone will look at it and not dismiss it after twenty seconds as it is not relevant to the site.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    well

guess my paper wasn't relevant to medium difficulty. drat.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Melding I think it's more that people would like some encouragement and the knowledge that someone will look at it and not dismiss it after twenty seconds as it is not relevant to the site.

But the issue is that we can't guarantee that it will get run. the guide line of "so long as it is interesting" is largely the only basis.

so "would you be interested in an article about the rock formations in Rage and what it implies in the world ending event int he game?" the answer is "Yeah sure, so long as it's interestign to read"

"do you want this article about how old cartoons and video games are following similar trends?" same answer.

People will read the shit you send in.

Our biggest article is this super serious look at the modern depiction of the army in video games when the original intent was just the four of us doing light hearted articles about things we like and academic criticizing of video games. But that shit was interesting, so it got top billing.

• Options
    In summary, we don't know what we want until we have it.

and at the very least you made someone read your work. and you made something! good on you! you're a step ahead of most people in the world.

You've tried.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Ok, but say in the last thread, someone suggested a topic and Orik's response was that it was similar to quoth's article.

Maybe people just want a metaphorical, "Go get em tiger!" or something. Or even start a low level discussion on it for me viewpoints on their article.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Ok, but say in the last thread, someone suggested a topic and Orik's response was that it was similar to quoth's article.

Maybe people just want a metaphorical, "Go get em tiger!" or something. Or even start a low level discussion on it for me viewpoints on their article.

fair enough, but that's the exception. unless there is something already in the pipeline we are never going to tell you no. ever. and not all our contributions come from this forum, we're going to get duplicates anyway.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Orikae I kind of want to write an article about my relationship with Rock Band.

Would you publish it??
    as D says, 'so long as it's interesting'

but definitely! write it and we'll talk

• Options

I hope to god you're being serious. I will use all my clout to get this on the website if i have to.

I wasn't being serious about that but I guess I would like to write something about that game or possibly Def Jam Fight For NY

we'll see

critical analysis isn't my strong suit, but I am told I'm kind of funny

xmassig2.gif
  • Options

I wasn't being serious about that but I guess I would like to write something about that game or possibly Def Jam Fight For NY

we'll see

critical analysis isn't my strong suit, but I am told I'm kind of funny

yeah i could see that argument being made.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    that article on language in ffxi was really cool and resonated with me 'cus i played the hell out of that game at launch

i dunno which one of you butts wrote it but, rock on

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    i still have a friend that uses [bio][break] for when they go to the bathroom while playing games.

I always wondered what that translated to.

hey guys i have to take a [poison][petrify] brb!

• Options
    I've had poops like that.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    yeah, yeah..

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Are you guys interested in pieces just on vidja games or does the scope extend beyond that to stuff like boardgames, pnp RPGs, miniatures games, etc? Because I could see myself doing some writing about the latter probably moreso than the former. This probably falls under the scope of "we don't know what we want until we have it" but, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    @Stilts you should interview us all individually and then have a big round-table Skype that someone records and you can transcribe it and pull quotes

basically just everyone yelling the whole time

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    @Stilts you should interview us all individually and then have a big round-table Skype that someone records and you can transcribe it and pull quotes

God no.

Nononononononononono.

Maybe as bonus content, but as something I actually try to use in the main article?

*shudder*

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Are you guys interested in pieces just on vidja games or does the scope extend beyond that to stuff like boardgames, pnp RPGs, miniatures games, etc? Because I could see myself doing some writing about the latter probably moreso than the former. This probably falls under the scope of "we don't know what we want until we have it" but, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

we definitely are interested in games beyond 'vidya'!

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Oh it could hurt, it could.

But we're totally interested last i checked. Myself and another member on the staff are largely on board for such a thing but outside submissions would be wonderful.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Awesome, if the writing mood strikes me I'll be sure to fire something your way. My group of friends is starting to get into miniature wargaming (Warmachine) and we are assembling our first armies and are trying to scope out our local FLGS scene and all that. I'm sure there's something to be written about in that whole mix.

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »

God no.

Nononononononononono.

Maybe as bonus content, but as something I actually try to use in the main article?

*shudder*

just crying everywhere

• Options
    added a thing to the op!

also: what do y'all think about video content on MD?

• Options
    added a thing to the op!

That depends.

Do you take your shirt off?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i will be writing a piece comparing pro wrestling to mass effect STAY TUNED

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man, with the baby coming and me working two jobs

I think what little free time I get is gonna be spent playing games and not write about 'em.

• Options
    Buttlord wrote: »

You know those grab-kills you can do from behind cover in ME3?

Your sentence just made me realize that BioWare missed a perfect opportunity to include a suplex in their game.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Buttlord wrote: »

required: picture of Shepard choke slamming The Rock.

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    added a thing to the op!

That depends.

Do you take your shirt off?

Adn that's the name of our first show "Shirts Optional"

• Options
    i have capture equipment so I would contribute to video content

This discussion has been closed.