As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the Dao of "games journalism"

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    beat 1, thought it was okay but not exceptional

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Playing through Portal 2's co-op blind with a friend from start to finish is a good friendship test.

It also helps that the pointer and buddy-cam is very intuitive.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I still need to do the co-op in that game

I don't want to play it with someone who already did it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »
    However, I am neither a girl, a noob or even bothered by the fact that I hate online gaming. The article kinda ties all these bits together and somehow makes it an issue of self-identity. It makes the read disingenuous to me, and a rather undeveloped perspective on the issues and problems.

I think this is part of it. It sounds - likely unintentionally - like a very limited perspective on the problem as being with this ASPECT of a culture that one feels that you "should" like or that you "would" like if only A, B, and C were different... rather than taking ownership for one's personal preferences and, as you say, self-identity. That she questions whether it's other people's opinions on her gender or noobishness that illicits personal frustration rather than the fact that it is her own personality and priorities that prevent enjoyment of such a genre... I think that's my problem with it.

Rather than acknowledge why OTHER people still enjoy online gaming even though everyone's experiences are largely similar to her own and acknowledge that it's just not what she enjoys (i.e., it's "other" people's fault that she can't enjoy these games)... and rather than taking her personal experience and expanding to speak to deeper and more broad-ranging issues like anonymity, achievement in one niche area (i.e., being "pro" at L4D) vs underachievement in other aspects of life, etc etc... I think this really hurts the otherwise very legitimate points she's trying to make.

Is the onus on her to acknowledge the privileged segments of specific online gaming communities?

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I have been playing Brainsss on my iPhone

it's a game about controlling a zombie horde from the top down and it is cute

you select your zombies by making swooshes over them with your finger and then tap where you want them to go eat the humans

you can split your selection with the split button to flank and have two or more groups attack from different directions

sometimes there are lots of humans

this is my review of Brainsss

4/5

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    However, I am neither a girl, a noob or even bothered by the fact that I hate online gaming. The article kinda ties all these bits together and somehow makes it an issue of self-identity. It makes the read disingenuous to me, and a rather undeveloped perspective on the issues and problems.

I think this is part of it. It sounds - likely unintentionally - like a very limited perspective on the problem as being with this ASPECT of a culture that one feels that you "should" like or that you "would" like if only A, B, and C were different... rather than taking ownership for one's personal preferences and, as you say, self-identity. That she questions whether it's other people's opinions on her gender or noobishness that illicits personal frustration rather than the fact that it is her own personality and priorities that prevent enjoyment of such a genre... I think that's my problem with it.

Rather than acknowledge why OTHER people still enjoy online gaming even though everyone's experiences are largely similar to her own and acknowledge that it's just not what she enjoys (i.e., it's "other" people's fault that she can't enjoy these games)... and rather than taking her personal experience and expanding to speak to deeper and more broad-ranging issues like anonymity, achievement in one niche area (i.e., being "pro" at L4D) vs underachievement in other aspects of life, etc etc... I think this really hurts the otherwise very legitimate points she's trying to make.

Is the onus on her to acknowledge the privileged segments of specific online gaming communities?
    What do you mean by privileged?

And more importantly, acknowledging the alternate viewpoint is critical if you want to gain support for your own. It's only the jaded, immature, self-entitled, politically driven, or the lazy who do not accept that there is value in exploring (or at least validating) the opposing view in order to forward your own. 

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gamestop had no copies of Portal 2 either new or pre-owned and I had to go to Wal-Mart

guess a lot of people like this game huh

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Gamestop had no copies of Portal 2 either new or pre-owned and I had to go to Wal-Mart

If Skyrim, Saints Row the Third, and Arkham City had been released any other year, Portal 2 would have won GOTY uncontested. Easily.

It's that fantastic.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    beat 1, thought it was okay but not exceptional

always terrible

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Nah

Portal is a tech demo more than a game

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    the entire time I kept thinking "man, I wish they used this portal mechanic for something interesting and dynamic instead of a puzzle game"

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Nah

nah

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Nah

girl you wrong

also alan wake is a pretty alright thing. i like the atmosphere and the idea of doing a weird twilight zone-style thing

the product placement is grating

• Options
    Pharezon wrote: »

What do you mean by privileged?

And more importantly, acknowledging the alternate viewpoint is critical if you want to gain support for your own. It's only the jaded, immature, self-entitled, politically driven, or the lazy who do not accept that there is value in exploring (or at least validating) the opposing view in order to forward your own. 

gonna bet on societal privilege

ie a bunch of straight white dude nerds

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I love the first game but it definitely feels more like a proof-of-concept sort of thing (and I'm pretty sure Valve is aware of it which is why they put it in a box with two other things)

I'm looking forward to seeing what 2 does with things

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    portal 2 was the game of the year last year

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular

If Skyrim, Saints Row the Third, and Arkham City had been released any other year, Portal 2 would have won GOTY uncontested. Easily.

It's that fantastic.

it's so good it's almost as good as three other games!

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the Portals are things I borrowed and played through once and never touched again

I like them but I can't justify owning them

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I love the first game but it definitely feels more like a proof-of-concept sort of thing (and I'm pretty sure Valve is aware of it which is why they put it in a box with two other things)

I'm looking forward to seeing what 2 does with things

Oh I mean it was definitely thrown in as like a bonus for the orange box

And then it turned out to have really clever puzzles and writing and atmosphere and it's use of the half life style of passive story telling was amazing and the length was perfect

and then nerds drove everything fun about it into the ground

but I still love it

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    You know what game you guys should play

Driver: San Francisco

It's Burnout meets Quantum Leap with a dash of They Live

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I keep hearing that Portal's length was "perfect" and "trimmed the fat" and all that jazz

completely disagree, it was much shorter than it needed to be and 3/4 of the levels felt like tutorials

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    the first portal didn't get interesting until the last 45 minutes

portal 2 was fucking awesome and hilarious and good the whole way through

• Options
    edited May 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    I keep hearing that Portal's length was "perfect" and "trimmed the fat" and all that jazz

completely disagree, it was much shorter than it needed to be and 3/4 of the levels felt like tutorials

it doesn't need to be very long though

you're testing a thing, something's weird with this computer fuck you i don't wanna die, boom fuck you computer

told entirely through the conversations with GLaDOS and with the weird rat's nests you find as you go

portal 2 could be/needed to be longer

to explain what kind of shit aperture was doing and why

but the first game didn't really need that

as for the tutorial thing i mean it was kind of a Crazy New Mechanic

Buttlord on
  • Options
    after finishing chapter one of alan wake i really wish they had released it entirely as an episodic thing

it would have been so much cooler that way

• Options

I saw the previews for it

And the other Drivers let me down

I did not expect it to be as good as it was. I was happily surprised.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

weird way to spell bastion

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

weird way to spell radiant historia

• Options
    Jars wrote: »

Aaaaaaaahahaha what

• Options

yeah man a ds jrpg was way better than portal 2, skyrim, saints row the third, and something else i'm probably forgetting

are you on drugs boy

i'll beat the drugs out of you

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

Yes. It was my goty, even taking into account Skyrim and SR3 and Arkham City and Portal 2.

The ability to shift between cars at will is so well realised that it manages to be fun and not a gimmick bullet-point feature.

You can use oncoming traffic as guided missles, jackknife trucks to form barriers and take control of a fire truck and boost off of a car transporter's ramp. And then there's the goofy b-grade cop story with an amazing ending.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    wait, why haven't I heard about this game until now?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options

Man that isn't even the best DS game of last year

Close to it, yes, but still

• Options
    wait how does something being on the ds make it worse of a game

but you're right arkham city slipped my mind

okay so it's my second favorite of the year

• Options
    That isn't what he's saying

He's saying it's so far from game of the year it isn't even the best game of the system that year

• Options
    Buttlord wrote: »

yeah man a ds jrpg was way better than portal 2, skyrim, saints row the third, and something else i'm probably forgetting

are you on drugs boy

How did you possibly forget Batman Arkham City

• Options
    wait how does something being on the ds make it worse of a game

but you're right arkham city slipped my mind

okay so it's my second favorite of the year

you seen one handheld jrpg you've seen pretty much all of them

anyway alan wake chat

probably my favorite thing that keeps you very aware that shit's not right, while still being really subtle, is that everyone's lip-sync is a little off except for alan's

it's like the super-obviously greenscreened ocean in shutter island: so bad as to be deliberate, to create a sense of unease without being overt

• Options
    Buttlord wrote: »

are you on drugs boy

How did you possibly forget Batman Arkham City

wasn't nearly as good as AA that's why

also because i rented it and played the whole game in literally two days and then returned it

• Options
    no, buttlord specifically said 'ds jrpg' like that makes it instantly worse. what ds game was better? the only other one I got was SS which wasn't that good so. ghost trick? I think I need to get that

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I'm playing the original syndicate. taking notes and comparing it to the reboot.

And then i'm going to dig things up on the cancelled PS2 reboot, and then i'm going to compare them all.

That is a thing i am planning on doing.

This discussion has been closed.