[EAST] PAX East 2013 Cosplay Thread

• BwentaliBwentali Registered User regular
    @danicka: is it heavy? can it pierce a pillow with some effort? is it a super-accurate replica? can you provide a picture?

not an enforcer, but going off of the rules for this con and others. I like to use the old ask-a-ninja grandma test. if you were to hit your grandma with it, would she write you out of her will?

• GreyWolfyGreyWolfy Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Since the prop weapon rules are so strict, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some suggestions...

I was planning on doing some L4D cosplay, and would like to bring either a black pistol or silver magnum that would at least look similar to the ingame ones. I know airsoft is out of the question, and most of the nerf guns I've seen are pretty big and just dont resemble the in game guns that much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

FFXIV: Rexus Kalev - Sargatanas
  • APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    GreyWolfy wrote: »
    Since the prop weapon rules are so strict, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some suggestions...

I was planning on doing some L4D cosplay, and would like to bring either a black pistol or silver magnum that would at least look similar to the ingame ones. I know airsoft is out of the question, and most of the nerf guns I've seen are pretty big and just dont resemble the in game guns that much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Melee weapon? Or the Boomer Bile Bomb as a prop?

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • Dire JayDire Jay Registered User regular
    DaNicka wrote: »
    I'm going to be bringing a sword for my vergil cosplay, the blade is painted in a mettalic color and the material is made out of wood. Will I have any problems bringing it in?

How heavy is it, does the metallic paint job make it look like a realistic sword from a distance and is it in any way sharp?

steam_sig.png
  • DaNickaDaNicka Studly Nurd Peoples Republic Of Massachusetts, DunstableRegistered User regular
  • BonniesBonnies Registered User regular
    On PAX FAQ:

All prop weapons brought to the show MUST be approved at Info Booth (North Lobby) as soon as you arrive.

We will be looking for the following criteria:

- It cannot fire any sort of projectile. (Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and can not fire.)

- It cannot be an airsoft weapon. (Yes, even if it’s deactivated.)

- It cannot look like a real firearm at “second glance.” (Yes, even if it’s a kid’s toy.)

- It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce such as a Little Sister syringe made of wood.

http://east.paxsite.com/faq#can-i-bring-my-nerf-gun-lightsaber-other-weird-thing

• DaNickaDaNicka Studly Nurd Peoples Republic Of Massachusetts, DunstableRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the reponses ladies and gentlemen, I hope it's kid tested and mom approved. Vergil without a sword is just well a vergil :P

• RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    574450_10151090498641961_1872464138_n.jpg

I'll be wearing this around on Saturday. It's a reference to LoadingReadyRun but most people just see it as a 'woooooCanada' costume. I am perfectly cool with both outcomes.

Canadaman! I must find you and take your picture. That is awesome.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I will be Spider-Man... 382201_10151351898548867_1288821945_n.jpg

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    GreyWolfy wrote: »

if a painted nerf gun is not realistic enough, then whatever you have in mind will likely be too realistic to pass, as a painted nerf gun itself is already marginal. i think APacMan's idea about alternate weapons is probably a better route than trying to pull off a gun.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    Ever have someone make you feel like your cosplay isn't up to snuff even thoe there not cosplaying. I had a friend who wouldn't shut up and insult my akuma, granted it wasn't the best akuma cosplay out people still liked it and knew who it was.

• elleecstaticelleecstatic Registered User regular
    As much as I HATE the way i look in the armor (disgusting bloated whale), and i didnt finish my Gears 3 armor build,
    i'll be doing FemShep with all the replica guns stuck to me..
    And then Chell from portal and then maybe rogue from x-men?

Ever have someone make you feel like your cosplay isn't up to snuff even thoe there not cosplaying. I had a friend who wouldn't shut up and insult my akuma, granted it wasn't the best akuma cosplay out people still liked it and knew who it was.

While ive never had anyone (friend or stranger) tell me my costume wasn't up to par, I have had that feel when im looking at someone whos cosplaying the same character as me and their costume looks better than mines.

• YavariceYavarice Registered User regular
    Been frantically poking away at a new pokemon hoodie whenever I can spare the time so that it's finished in time for this! Otherwise I'll also be wearing gold/silver Poketrainer, it's probably the most line and wandering friendly costume I have XD

Is there going to be a place for all of cosplayers to meet/greet and mingle?

• scrattatatscrattatat BostonRegistered User regular
    I've been struck with madness this weekend and threw together a Daenerys costume - it came out pretty swell. I'll also have a Merida costume, perhaps for just one of the days (or part of one - that thing is warm).

Plenty of Medieval lady badassery this year!

a4VADIl.png eDL5zgd.png
  • Geno GaronGeno Garon Registered User regular
    Is there going to be a place for all of cosplayers to meet/greet and mingle?

It is my experience that, at conventions, cosplayers are easy to spot. That being the case, cosplayers don't usually meet up unless they are part of the same category, fandom, show, game, etc. However, I know *I* will be at the 10am Friday Con Cosplay panel at the Merman theatre, so if anybody else happens to be going that way instead of the opening ceremonies, we'll be sure to see each other.

• ravnos13ravnos13 Somerville, MARegistered User regular
    DayZ cosplay... hehehe that's awesome.

Technically my everyday clothing is really similar to what the (living) characters in DayZ wear... I actually found it very disconcerting when I started playing the game. So... technically I will be dressed as a DayZ Bandit, hehe.

fss_overall.png

Passes: Acquired | Buttons: Acquired | April: Too far away...
  • Mistress_IshboMistress_Ishbo Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    My friend that is a seamstress is taking in my Chun Li costume. I lost about 86 pounds since I last wore it LOL So... Yeah! I hope it looks great! See you all in 2 weeks!

• <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to be able to swing the Gorton's fisherman. Just need to find a halfway decent grey beard.

• Marg0Marg0 Portland, MERegistered User regular
    I'll be bringing my red and blue TF2 Engineer costumes.

• APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Good news for the Bioshock & Bioshock Infinite Cosplayers: http://irrationalgames.com/insider/bioshock-cosplay-contest-at-pax-east-2013/

If there's an 'Elizabeth' or a 'member of the Vox Populi' who would like to team up for this, let me know. I'm just wrapping up my Booker DeWitt outfit, and will post a picture as soon as the vest is done.

*Edit - Outfit is done. Pictures will go up on Saturday on the way over to the Irrational Games shindig (If I'm invited, though I expect to be)

APacMan on
    We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • dlep19dlep19 Boston Registered User regular
    ravnos13 wrote: »
    DayZ cosplay... hehehe that's awesome.

Technically my everyday clothing is really similar to what the (living) characters in DayZ wear... I actually found it very disconcerting when I started playing the game. So... technically I will be dressed as a DayZ Bandit, hehe.

Looks like I found my first target. Bandits must perish!
    Possible DayZ Cosplayer meetup?

• JeoJeo Registered User regular
    I was going to go as Master Chief but I encountered trouble with the helmet, and with only two weeks, not enough time to fix. Looks like I'll settle for the eleventh doctor :(

edited March 2013
    dlep19 wrote: »
    Looks like I found my first target. Bandits must perish!
    Possible DayZ Cosplayer meetup?

If anyone else wants to do a DayZ cosplayer meetup shoot me a PM. I think I'm going to be pretty busy between panels and tabletop (where I can usually be found, hint hint, probably wearing a black "Civilian Infantry" cap and a grey/black shemaugh or a skull facemask), but if you figure something out, I will try to make it.

ravnos13 on
    fss_overall.png

• SieflSiefl Registered User new member
    So I'm new to PAX and I'm planning to cosplay this for Friday only 20120712164604!Great_Khan_soldier_armor.png
    The right side version. If there are going to be any Fallout fans or cosplayers out there we should meet! Im not too sure if I can bring the flag staff I made.
    Its not a weapon at all but are flag staffs allowed in the con? Other wise I will leave it at home.

Siefl wrote: »
    So I'm new to PAX and I'm planning to cosplay this for Friday only 20120712164604!Great_Khan_soldier_armor.png
    The right side version. If there are going to be any Fallout fans or cosplayers out there we should meet! Im not too sure if I can bring the flag staff I made.
    Its not a weapon at all but are flag staffs allowed in the con? Other wise I will leave it at home.

I'm not entirely sure about PAX, but in general conventions have a 6-foot rule on props. Remember that this is going to be a crowded place, especially in the expo hall and the theaters where the majority of the show takes place. If you don't mind hefting your flag around with you in cramped spots, and it's under 6 feet, then I'd say it's probably well within the rules. If not, you may want to look into shrinking it.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Regiment wrote: »
    574450_10151090498641961_1872464138_n.jpg

I'll be wearing this around on Saturday. It's a reference to LoadingReadyRun but most people just see it as a 'woooooCanada' costume. I am perfectly cool with both outcomes.

Canadaman! I must find you and take your picture. That is awesome.
    Turns out I'll be wearing it to the LoadingReadyRun panel on Friday.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • WickedTallWickedTall Registered User new member
    So I don't know if it really would be relevant for PAX East...at all...haha. But I have a Buddy the Elf costume(that takes me to like...7'4) that I sometimes wear when I visit NYC. Would that be something that'd be well received at PAX East? (I've never been to a convention before....first one!! I'm excited).

WickedTall wrote: »
    So I don't know if it really would be relevant for PAX East...at all...haha. But I have a Buddy the Elf costume(that takes me to like...7'4) that I sometimes wear when I visit NYC. Would that be something that'd be well received at PAX East? (I've never been to a convention before....first one!! I'm excited).
    I think that would be awsome and funny i'll back you up and ha_do_ken' all who oppose buddy the elf!!!

• JeoJeo Registered User regular
    WickedTall wrote: »
    The doctor approves

• AlpineAnticAlpineAntic Registered User regular
    I have never done a cosplay before but think it would be a blast to do. Don't know who I would attempt to cosplay. I'm 6'6 210. Any suggestions? Lol

I have never done a cosplay before but think it would be a blast to do. Don't know who I would attempt to cosplay. I'm 6'6 210. Any suggestions? Lol

It all depends on what you like, and what you have available to you. I'm biased towards League of Legends, given that there's over 100 champions to choose from, for all body types, AND they also have additional skins and outfits, so there's plenty to try that you may have just lying around your house. Check em out!
    league_of_legends___male_champions_wallpaper_by_cassaria-d55wweo.jpg

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_champions

• riathewolfriathewolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    My Terra is complete!!

Edited Link: http://25.media.tumblr.com/cc1d9edf301b56b6be6e9b37040f26ca/tumblr_mjkmk2L9PP1rz2xi9o1_1280.jpg

Can't wait to put it all on and run around the con :)

mod edit: blog link removed

riathewolf on
    edited March 2013
    riathewolf wrote: »
    My Terra is complete!!

Can't wait to put it all on and run around the con :)

mod edit: blog link removed

I... must... find... you... for... photo...

FFVI is the game that got me INTO video games...

zerzhul on
    fss_overall.png

• AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    In addition to Good Cole MacGrath (inFAMOUS 2) and Jake Muller (Resident Evil 6) I have added another costume for the weekend. Jimmy Hopkins from Bully.
    starzee wrote: »
    Bit of a adjusted lineup from my original post.
    And somehow getting journey and RE6 done this weekend?!

857289_536989123000346_195817957_o1_zpsfddb0215.jpg

Oh cool, I'll be running around as RE6 Leon on Saturday, with a shoot around 6pm.

Late to the forum I know, but I think Leon is the only thing i'm bringing out to PAX this year. There's a lot of stuff I wanna do, so cosplay is a secondary concern.

• T101T101 Registered User regular
    I may have missed it, but is there a meet up at anytime?

• AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    T101 wrote: »
    I may have missed it, but is there a meet up at anytime?

Not that I know of. I'm game for trying to arrange one, if people are interested!

• riathewolfriathewolf Registered User regular
    "ravnos13 wrote: »
    I... must... find... you... for... photo...

FFVI is the game that got me INTO video games...

Please do!! Me and friend will be running around as Terra and Celes all Saturday :)

• notsogoodjujunotsogoodjuju Registered User new member
    Long time listener, first time poster :)
    So I managed to rope my friends into doing a Dinobot group from Fall of Cybertron. I think I've been pretty good about keeping the footprints of the costumes themselves under control, but I never really thought about a set height restriction(Just went off the idea of clearing doorways/not being a pain in the but to stand next to someone). The gentleman who is our Swoop is 6'4", and with the wings I've currently got built he's going to be teasing 7'5" - 7'8". Is that going to fly(no pun intended)

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I posted in the wrong thread. IGNORE ME!

Also I would love a meetup.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
This discussion has been closed.