Thunder and [chat]

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I wish I could purchase a subscription straight from HBO.

They need iTunes-style a la carte pricing on episodic content, is what they need. HBO On Demand is pretty cool for 1994.

Do you have any idea how much more money they would have made today if they had made available, after broadcast, episode 3, season 2 of Game of Thrones? Say, in the iTunes store for 2 bucks each?

Television executives are often just as stupid as record company executives when it comes to innovating to make a buck.

Ayup.

A 30-40 Dollar HD season pass to Game of Thrones, or whatever show they are running at the moment?

A 5 dollar a month subscription to a livestream of Real Time with Bill Maher?

Wouldn't save me all that much money because I watch 3-4 HBO seasons a year AND real time, but it would be a nice option for people who don't like True Blood, Boardwalk, Curb your Enthusiasm, and Game of Thrones like I do.

And yeah, VEEP looks kind of awesome.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

They need iTunes-style a la carte pricing on episodic content, is what they need. HBO On Demand is pretty cool for 1994.

Do you have any idea how much more money they would have made today if they had made available, after broadcast, episode 3, season 2 of Game of Thrones? Say, in the iTunes store for 2 bucks each?

Television executives are often just as stupid as record company executives when it comes to innovating to make a buck.

How much would DVD/Bluray sales fall as a result though? They would make about $12 per person per season from iTunes. I imagine they make about double that from disc sales even though the discs have way more overhead.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Shampagne is the best generic term for sparkling wine. Good job, Dee.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote: »
    Seeing how well it worked in Florida, the Norway killer has said his killing spree was "self defense".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/16/anders-behring-breivik-trial_n_1426721.html

This totally would have got the Norwegian police to stop investigating it.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

How much would DVD/Bluray sales fall as a result though? They would make about $12 per person per season from iTunes. I imagine they make about double that from disc sales even though the discs have way more overhead.

I think you're massively over estimating sales of TV series on DVD.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

If I could get HBO and Showtime for like $30 without getting cable I might do that. Someone at work told me I should look into something called a Roku? Bottom of the to-do list, anyway.

Roku is just a digital streaming box. It's like, all the features that are built into smart tvs today but in a seperate box. It lets you stream netflix, hulu, amazon instant watch, that kinda stuff.

Technically you can stream HBO Go on it, but you can only do that if you already have a cable subscription with HBO. Both HBO and Showtime have streaming services, but for some reason they only allow people with cable subscriptions to use them.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    @Syndalis
    Also, we polished off a bottle and a half of hippy vodka
    A Third of a bottle of bourbon
    half a bottle of gin,
    8 ozs of coconut rum,
    and a bottle of Shampagne

you are forgetting the 4 cocktails we each had at brunch.

My liver cried out for mercy.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Shampagne is the best generic term for sparkling wine. Good job, Dee.

Thank you, sir.
    :blush:

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I always imagined it was really high for series from premium channels.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular

Nah, you're missing the point. All episodes of Season 1 are already available on iTunes and haven't hurt disc sales at all.

This is more about getting that cash money from customers who wouldn't be your customer ordinarily, not about traditional revenue streams from after a series or season concludes.

Another good sign for upcoming season of HBO’s Game of Thrones: Sales of the first season DVD set are going through the roof.

HBO has moved about 350,000 units in the first week since the show’s March 6 release. That’s the biggest first-seven-day tally for any TV series title in the network’s history — including popular shows like The Sopranos, Sex and the City and True Blood.

With the Thrones second season trailer also setting network records, the fantasy drama seems poised to return to higher ratings than ever when it premieres April 1. For more details, check out EW’s nine-page Game of Thrones cover story in this week’s issue. For those watching the DVD, here’s EW.com’s first season recaps.

They do decent sales on the DVD / Blu Ray Front. Not Halo 2 level sales or anything, but 350,000 units with probably a 20 dollar average profit to HBO for each box sold is good times all around.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

HBO makes tons of cash on its DVDs

they're priced about twice the price of regular tv shows and still top sales lists

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2012

IIRC the Wire's DVD sales were a large part of why it got renewed every season.

Of course, that was the mid-2000s, which is basically a sepia-tinted dream at this point.

Jacobkosh on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    As a smug liberal atheist, I am not a fan of Bill Maher.

Fair enough, that is a shitload more DVD sales than I would have expected.

Clearly my anecdotal evidence is very niche.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    @Syndalis
    half a bottle of gin,
    8 ozs of coconut rum,

I already mentioned those. I don't even remember which if any of the cocktails we made were any good.*

Mission Failed.

*Except for the Old Fashioneds, but everyone will think I'm a problem drinker if Im serving Old Fashioneds at noon.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Yawn

Hi chat

My human colony in Epic Astro Story is doing well. We make Plasma TVs and Foie Gras.

TL DR wrote: »

I love Bill about 80% of the time.

Then he gets into germ theory and whiny atheist asshole mode and I tune out.

But his show is one of the rare few where he can pull together a good mixed panel and get some spirited conversation from multiple perspectives going, and then he will lob a fucking statistical grenade on the table and DARE a conservative to try and pick it up.

It's fun. For me at least.

SW-4158-3990-6116

I could deal with the rest of his bullshit if he wasn't an anti-vaxxer and a hypocrite too.

I think that trend might be fading. Judging from the Amazon wishlists of my nearest and dearest, people don't really want physical media like they used to.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    as a dvd boxed set

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    It's hard for me to properly realize the value of individual television episodes. Like, $4 for one episode feels like a lot. But I spend $10 on a movie, but the screen is big and I also don't do it that often, but then again a cable subscription is a lot of money every month and it would go far in iTunes.

Netflix is good for old TV but it's no way to replace a cable subscription because it only gets television once its on DVD.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ok, I've done enough work for today I think

edit: hilariously enough, my keyboard actually stopped working at "thi"

I had to wait a few seconds for it to register keystrokes again.

I like your style, keyboard.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    @Syndalis
    half a bottle of gin,
    8 ozs of coconut rum,

I already mentioned those. I don't even remember which if any of the cocktails we made were any good.*

Mission Failed.

*Except for the Old Fashioneds, but everyone will think I'm a problem drinker if Im serving Old Fashioneds at noon.

Okay, the first one you made that tasted like lemon italian ice was good, but seriously... it was candy. You could serve that on a hot summer day, or as a dessert.

The second one which was that, but with cucumber pulp in it? That was a more robust drinking experience.

The last drink you made was totes awful, but I was so drunk I didn't give a shit. I think it was pure lemon juice.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

I think he's pretty over the top but is usually entertaining at least.

He can occasionally be to smug for me though.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

But his show is one of the rare few where he can pull together a good mixed panel and get some spirited conversation from multiple perspectives going, and then he will lob a fucking statistical grenade on the table and DARE a conservative to try and pick it up.

In all fairness, the only thing of his I've seen is Religulous, which was full of lazy or deliberate inaccuracies strung together by him being a dick to people who 50% of the time were just Joe Churchgoer types and not really deserving of it.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Real Time is more entertaining than The Daily Show/Colbert but yeah Maher's anti-medicine stance is unfortunate.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    What does he do when people lob statistical grenades at him about vaccination?

In all fairness, the only thing of his I've seen is Religulous, which was full of lazy or deliberate inaccuracies strung together by him being a dick to people who 50% of the time were just Joe Churchgoer types and not really deserving of it.

That film is a poor way to judge Maher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo1MvNri3F4

skip to :38sec

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Huh Crysis 3 was announced NOW WITH ARCHERY!
    crysis3screenshottheh9ikcn.png

edited April 2012

I think that trend might be fading. Judging from the Amazon wishlists of my nearest and dearest, people don't really want physical media like they used to.

I mostly buy physical media to create the footprint of a paying customer. A day after watching the movie, I bought a Bluray of Alien and put it in the player that came with my TV for free. After 15 minutes of ads and FBI warnings and endless delays to read and "ACTION NOT ALLOWED" messages, I remembered why I never do this.

Donkey Kong on
    edited April 2012
    It's hard for me to properly realize the value of individual television episodes. Like, $4 for one episode feels like a lot. But I spend $10 on a movie, but the screen is big and I also don't do it that often, but then again a cable subscription is a lot of money every month and it would go far in iTunes.

Netflix is good for old TV but it's no way to replace a cable subscription because it only gets television once its on DVD.

The answer is way more simple and primitive than you think. You use rabbit ears to pick up ATSC HD television for free. Your local NBC, ABC, FOX, and CBS affiliates have all been required to broadcast a free HD signal for years now.

And most modern televisions don't need "converter boxes" to pick those signals up.

As an added bonus, the over-the-air HD signal that comes off your antenna will be of higher quality than what Time Warner or whatever your cable company is pipes to you through the cable line.

Form of Monkey! on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So Obama has pretty much won the election eh?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

That doesn't appear to be a crossbow...

Inquisitor wrote: »
    What does he do when people lob statistical grenades at him about vaccination?

I haven't seen him talk about Vaccinations for a long time now. I've seen him in the past year talk about how if your diet isn't shit then you won't get sick, and it is all big pharma trying to sell you stuff you don't need.

His panel disagreed with him profusely, and they moved on.

Thing is, if I only watched political programs made by people I 100% agree with all the time, the only show I would end up watching is Rachel Maddow. Which, while not a terrible show at all, would not allow me to absorb many different views.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Only if women are allowed to vote these days.

I forget where we landed on that whole "suffrage" thing.

Hah. Republicans. :rotate:

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »

Only if women are allowed to vote these days.

I forget where we landed on that whole "suffrage" thing.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Hmm, Archery you say?

I hope Crysis 4 will have swordfighting.

That doesn't appear to be a crossbow...

I'd imagine a crossbow wouldn't be able to leverage the benefits provided by MAXIMUM STRENGTH.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The answer is way more simple and primitive than you think. You use rabbit ears to pick up ATSC HD television for free. Your local NBC, ABC, FOX, and CBS affiliates have all been required to broadcast a free HD signal for years now.

And most modern televisions don't need "converter boxes" to pick those signals up.

As an added bonus, the over-the-air HD signal that comes off your antenna will be of higher quality than what Time Warner or whatever your cable company is pipes to you through the cable line.
    And I believe you can turn a computer into a free DVR.

wandering on
This discussion has been closed.