Options

Thunder and [chat]

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    B9xof.jpg

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    I was homeschooled.

I had to take a national standardized test every year since I was 13 O.o

EDIT: I'm also socially adjusted, as much as anyone here except Dyna, who everyone loves.

greeper is one letter away from creeper

my point stands

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    It's a simple fix for me, ban home schooling and require all students to get immunizations to attend school. Two birds with one stone.

Ugh. Ugh.

What about banning home schooling that does not conform to educational standards?

I'm not against home schooling per se, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the majority of home-schooling is less "our children are not getting a quality education in public schools and I can do better" and more "fuck science and those hippies!"

The studies on homeschooling generally have small sample sizes and often use non-representative samples, so take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

The majority of homeschooling families cite religious or moral reasons for homeschooling.

However, homeschooled kids on average outperform public school kids both on measures of academic performance and on measures of psychological well-being. This effect persists even when controlling for socioeconomic status.

I really wish we had some better statistics on home schooling, because anecdotally, every single home-schooler I knew growing up in Eastern Washington was doing it because schools were too liberal and refused to teach good science (read: creationism). Those were some terrible, faulty textbooks they used.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I just had a guy call in because, apparently, Microsoft and Google are sending him death threats.

Dear customer: Welcome to crazy town. Population: You.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Back home after funeral, the first secular funeral I have been to but it was largely the same.

Also the first funeral I have been to for a young person (as in <60), I suspect the two are connected.

On the plus side I got my free iPod Nano today too.
    I've only been to one religious funeral.

In my family, most people like to have more of a wake sort of thing, where people go over to the home of the recently-deceased, and have a party with food and drink and tell stories and such. The "funeral" is frequently just the immediate family in a very small ceremony.

This generally seems like the right way to handle things, though I suppose context matter.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    If he wants to be taken seriously, he should try using specific terminology. It exists for a reason.

Yes. Case in point:
    The human body gets sick for no reason at all all the god damn time.

Well, "for no reason" implies "no exogenous reason" or "no known reason" but there has to be a reason even if it's completely endogenous and we don't know what it is.

I mean, I figure that's what you were saying (we don't know why, or the cause is completely endogenous) but it's hard to tell what Bill Maher is talking about sometimes because he uses paranoid hippie rhetoric.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I had an interview today!

I'm sure it went very well! Is excite! Pls get answer soons!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Don't you ugh me, there are very few cases where homeschooling makes sense and all of them are medically related. A blanket ban doesn't make sense, no, but for the vast majority of students there's no compelling reasons that they should be home schooled.

"The public schools in my country are shitty" is a pretty good reason to homeschool to me.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    I totally want people to get hammered at my funeral.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Back home after funeral, the first secular funeral I have been to but it was largely the same.

Also the first funeral I have been to for a young person (as in <60), I suspect the two are connected.

In my family, most people like to have more of a wake sort of thing, where people go over to the home of the recently-deceased, and have a party with food and drink and tell stories and such. The "funeral" is frequently just the immediate family in a very small ceremony.
    This generally seems like the right way to handle things, though I suppose context matter.
    I want my wake to have an open bar. If there aren't at least three family rifts started/re-started, and one patched-over, I will haunt them forever.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular

Instruct your loved ones to Irish wake the situation and they will feel compelled to carry out your wishes.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    it's hard to tell what Bill Maher is talking about sometimes because he uses paranoid hippie rhetoric.

maaaaaan!

One of these days, Bill will be on a flight filled with coughing people throwing sputum into the air, and he will discover how well his diet protects him from that eventuality.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    writing a paper on the woman's film. what fun!

luckily we watched Brief Encounter and it was pretty good so it's not totally a pain in the ass to write about

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    augh

another migraine

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Instruct your loved ones to Irish wake the situation and they will feel compelled to carry out your wishes.
    The body thing at an Irish wake is kind of creepy.

I also need to make sure I'm cremated as soon as possible after death. No organ donation for me. Too much risk it will save an old, white person.

• Options
    augh

another migraine

How many of your new abortives have you had in the last week?

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular

I guess it is largely the same, my experience from movies and such is that in america and such a funeral includes the burial? This isn't the case here, you have a ceremony held by someone who doesn't actually know the deceased (a priest for a christian funeral) and play music and then everyone takes farewell and puts down flower on the coffin or on some altar. Then you eat food somewhere else and people hold personal speeches and such.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

I want my wake to have an open bar. If there aren't at least three family rifts started/re-started, and one patched-over, I will haunt them forever.

My will has plans for my wake. There is an ample booze budget.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    it's hard to tell what Bill Maher is talking about sometimes because he uses paranoid hippie rhetoric.

maaaaaan!

One of these days, Bill will be on a flight filled with coughing people throwing sputum into the air, and he will discover how well his diet protects him from that eventuality.

Like Steve Jobs's experiment with homeopathic medicine. Didn't do him a world of good either.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    I guess that is a wake maybe? I'm confused

• Options
    augh

another migraine

How many of your new abortives have you had in the last week?

none yet

i keep forgetting to pick up the prescription

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    yo @Organichu sorry about making a shit joke and then when you very calmly protested against it I just got pissy right back at you for no reason at all.

Was in a real shitty mood; this weekend kind of a created a little perfect storm of shit feeling and realizations

so I got annoyed at and lost my patience with the realities of internet communication and did what I do sometimes: take me feeling shit out on others by being a cock.

So, like, it wasn't because I suddenly hate you and jews now.

i appreciate it dogg. i am sorry for pushing the point also. :(

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Hey Thom,

You going to be up for some ME3 MP tonight?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    The body thing at an Irish wake is kind of creepy.

I also need to make sure I'm cremated as soon as possible after death. No organ donation for me. Too much risk it will save an old, white person.

get therapy bro

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I was homeschooled.

EDIT: I'm also socially adjusted, as much as anyone here except Dyna, who everyone loves.

my point stands

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    oh my god what a ridiculous email
    Dear Conservative Ally:

[image of smoking wreck of american aircraft]

The photo below is from December 7, 1941 and the Pearl Harbor sneak attack. The burning American aircraft was one of 188 planes destroyed at Kanoehe Bay Naval Air Station. Because of the Japanese Navy's ruthless discipline and planning, most American planes never even left the runway!

Sam Rohrer is under heavy attack. While our internal voter tracking data culled from thousands of phone calls last week shows Sam with a strong and motivated Republican base, the misleading, negative attacks demand a bold response. We cannot allow the other side to distort Sam's courageous, conservative public record.

it's so xenophobic

Organichu on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

This is how we roll. Regardless of how appropriate it is.

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    syndalis wrote: »

maaaaaan!

Like Steve Jobs's experiment with homeopathic medicine. Didn't do him a world of good either.

Yeah, Jobs was a brilliant marketer, he knew what people wanted, took a company on the verge of bankruptcy and set the stage for them to become the richest company in the world... but the man was a fucking idiot when it came to healthcare, especially his own.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    I was homeschooled.

my point stands

Gooey is one letter away from Hooey, which is a bunch of letters away from Hitler.

This doesn't do anything for my point.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh my god what a ridiculous email
    Dear Conservative Ally:

[image of smoking wreck of american aircraft]

The photo below is from December 7, 1941 and the Pearl Harbor sneak attack. The burning American aircraft was one of 188 planes destroyed at Kanoehe Bay Naval Air Station. Because of the Japanese Navy's ruthless discipline and planning, most American planes never even left the runway!

Sam Rohrer is under heavy attack. While our internal voter tracking data culled from thousands of phone calls last week shows Sam with a strong and motivated Republican base, the misleading, negative attacks demand a bold response. We cannot allow the other side to distort Sam's courageous, conservative public record.

it's so xenophobic

All I'm getting from that is that the Japanese know what they're doing.

Let's vote for them.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

My will has plans for my wake. There is an ample booze budget.

The real goal is to screw with them: have yourself cremated, then make sure there's a BBQ at the wake.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Hey Thom,

Possibly. I might have some more Microscope to do tonight. Where I will be very careful to not make any jokes. None at all. Because I made a joke about techno that became a core facet of the world.

• Options
    What is that old canard? Really smart people can do some really dumb things?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I finished Cryptonomicon this weekend and I want nothing more than to suck Neal Stephenson's dick for getting it. For getting all the its.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    If he wants to be taken seriously, he should try using specific terminology. It exists for a reason.

Yes. Case in point:
    The human body gets sick for no reason at all all the god damn time.

Well, "for no reason" implies "no exogenous reason" or "no known reason" but there has to be a reason even if it's completely endogenous and we don't know what it is.

I mean, I figure that's what you were saying (we don't know why, or the cause is completely endogenous) but it's hard to tell what Bill Maher is talking about sometimes because he uses paranoid hippie rhetoric.

Either I walked right into that one, or should feel praised.

• Options
    I finished Cryptonomicon this weekend and I want nothing more than to suck Neal Stephenson's dick for getting it. For getting all the its.

awwww dk has a crush

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Hey Thom,

Possibly. I might have some more Microscope to do tonight. Where I will be very careful to not make any jokes. None at all. Because I made a joke about techno that became a core facet of the world.

Godspeed good sir. Godspeed.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    you ever have one of those conversations that make you realize how much progress you've got left to go

and you're kind of melancholy over it

but the fact that you had that conversation is a boon

that is me right now

• Options
    you ever have one of those conversations that make you realize how much progress you've got left to go

and you're kind of melancholy over it

but the fact that you had that conversation is a boon

that is me right now

I hate those.

• Options
    Writing out my will was a pretty dark time for me. I had separated from my ex and was living with the assumption that she would eventually find me and kill me. I wrote it as a weird act of gaining control of my life. That even if her actions ended my life, I would still exert some control even in death.

This discussion has been closed.