As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phallakinetic Finale - Day 9 - WITNESS THE ARMADA'S TRIUMPH

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I count my victory as a victory for all of ex-Beta Team. Even though 38thDoe dying was a possible win condition for me.

What I'm saying is that you unwittingly helped me by getting yourself killed.

Just as planned!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    My win condition was just as stated in the thread, eliminate Paleons and the Cult,
    I had 8 Attack, 10 resistance, 18 life.
    The Paleon team was... very very powerful.

the-terminator-1-1024-1.jpg

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    My win condition was just as stated in the thread, eliminate Paleons and the Cult,
    Yeah, hearing these stats, I think the only person my 20 special bomb wouldn't have killed was langly. And maybe the rogue mech

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    I have to leave for bed or I will die tomorrow. Thank you cultists for being a great team to play with, Retaba for winning us the game and Edcrab for hosting another fantastic game!

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    When Cythraul gets in here, he is going to be sooo cross with me! WE HAVE NO IDEA.

• Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    Shabooty wrote: »
    my power was neat

guy doing shadow dmg to you was Dunadan , I assume?

yes.

killed romanqwerty with 2 attacks on day 1/2
    killed shabooty with 2 attacks on day 3/4
    accidently killed feckless rogue on the day when I powered up which I would have died if I hadn't
    had retaba targeted on my last day but had to switch to jdarksun to attempt to play for my win condition after the village decided to kill me.

ironically, it was my death and the removal of all chaotic and outsiders that screwed the village since it essentially gave the mafia a free 5-6 kills
    Wait. I died? When did I die? You tried to kill me?

Now I don't feel bad that I negated your defenses the night Strike Force took you down.

edit: and I used that "free kills" line on SeGaTai, too. Man, I wonder how many different people were trying to convince them to help take down Duna for the "free kills"?

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I cannot BELIEVE Retaba didn't get voted out today. I thought it would be unanimous.

Oh well. It makes no difference to me.

Taya on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Ahahahaha yes just vote out the guy who led mafia-destroying wagons that would've resulted in a mafia victory much earlier if he hadn't done it pftttttt.

Also let's help neutral win conditions so they can leave the game this is a good idea.

Welp, was a good read. Was hoping for an Arcadian victory for once.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    you didn't die, feckless. your partner did

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »

the-terminator-1-1024-1.jpg

one for you

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ahahahaha yes just vote out the guy who led mafia-destroying wagons that would've resulted in a mafia victory much earlier if he hadn't done it pftttttt.

Also let's help neutral win conditions so they can leave the game this is a good idea.

I thought the village won in all the previous ones (except the faction one)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    We tried to heal Rend day 1, btw.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    my power was neat

yes.

accidently killed feckless rogue on the day when I powered up which I would have died if I hadn't
    had retaba targeted on my last day but had to switch to jdarksun to attempt to play for my win condition after the village decided to kill me.

ironically, it was my death and the removal of all chaotic and outsiders that screwed the village since it essentially gave the mafia a free 5-6 kills

Now I don't feel bad that I negated your defenses the night Strike Force took you down.

edit: and I used that "free kills" line on SeGaTai, too. Man, I wonder how many different people were trying to convince them to help take down Duna for the "free kills"?

sorry it was Corvidae, not you.

how did that whole 'nullifying my defenses so I'll die' thing work out for you?

edit: of course edcrab told me that I was the target of 20 something damage that night so it wasn't that big of a mistake on your part.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I look forward to the remaining villagers justifying their vote for Ringo.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    my power was neat

yes.

sorry it was Corvidae, not you.

how did that whole 'nullifying my defenses so I'll die' thing work out for you?
    Great! I achieved my victory that night! (sorry village.)

• Options
    Baidol wrote: »
    I look forward to the remaining villagers justifying their vote for Ringo.
    "herp derp"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

I thought the village won in all the previous ones (except the faction one)

Said Arcadian, not village, as much as PINACCLE 4 LYFE et al.

I don't count the Gumpy victory in whatever phallakinetic it was that I was a soldier stranded in a strategic arcadian box canyon as a victory brought about by Arcadia, even if they *technically* won that one.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    My favorite part was dropping hints to @cythraul and him not getting it.

And @Rawkking Goodguy should shut up and play again!

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Oh, and @langly

Why oh why do you think I'd come talk to you after Spoit revealed that his group wanted to 'tag' the Veteran. Announcing that the group you were going to hand me over to was gone, so I should just get in touch seemed.. silly?

they were gone, so you were safe? I was going to coordinate with you.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Langly, did you betray the mafia at all this game? Our proboards have a lot of uhh comments by me on your possible betrayal and why we should mafiamurder you :)

Retaba on
  • Options
    Looks like he was planning to

• Options
    edited May 2012
    @Bedlam my life is still a goddamned mess. Things might be clearing up soon enough though.

However mocking village failure is a national phalla pastime. I mean I can understand that some people could get paranoid about Ringo (I was ever so briefly before slapping myself across the face) and the kind of messups you can get from all the pressure on you are rather human, but still.

You would've lost earlier if Ringo was mafia.

He had two of the three most powerful cultist roles bandwagoned.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    I'd like to know why I was killed by the mafia. I thought I was harmless.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Langly wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Oh, and @langly

Why oh why do you think I'd come talk to you after Spoit revealed that his group wanted to 'tag' the Veteran. Announcing that the group you were going to hand me over to was gone, so I should just get in touch seemed.. silly?

they were gone, so you were safe? I was going to coordinate with you.

@Retaba @Segatai @Shabooty (especially) @Wiet @vertroue (though you weren't around) @romanqwerty (though you weren't around)

GRUDGE THIS MAN . He is the Snake.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Taya wrote: »
    I'd like to know why I was killed by the mafia. I thought I was harmless.

I thought you were the seer, Anialos coming out and claiming to be a sort of a seer was... odd. So I thought you or Cythraul were the real seer :P

Retaba on
  • Options
    I knew it! I was on that! Yesss.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i am proud that i hit vertroue on the day of my death

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Why did I vote for Ringo? Because Cythraul and I weren't sure who between him and Retaba was evil. So we flipped a coin basically. We both put our attacks on Retaba, and if Ringo would have done the same, apparently we would have won. Not my fault Ringo went all suspicious and didn't contact Cythraul or me /shrug.

• Options
    Retaba wrote: »
    I thought you were the seer, Anialos coming out and claiming to be a sort of a seer was... odd. So I thought you or Cythraul were the real seer :P

It was Cythraul. I revealed as a Scientist in the thread and pretty openly discussed my role with anyone.

However, SCIENCE is the true winner so I don't mind.

• Options
    I know, but I thought that was a fake thing to remove suspicion.

• Options
    Anialos wrote: »
    Why did I vote for Ringo? Because Cythraul and I weren't sure who between him and Retaba was evil. So we flipped a coin basically. We both put our attacks on Retaba, and if Ringo would have done the same, apparently we would have won. Not my fault Ringo went all suspicious and didn't contact Cythraul or me /shrug.
    Wouldn't that be a host victory?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Langy, you dirty breaker of Rend Deals....for shame

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Day 9

Ringo held his head in his hands. The computer screen flashed at him, as if trying to rub it in. The aging veteran looked up, and read the names again.

The only thing Paleons lacked by comparison with humans was imagination and creativity. So, when faced with the need to fabricate cover identities, to mask the nature of scratch-built humans grown in tubes, they'd called on their own names for inspiration. They'd quite correctly assumed that no one would notice until it was too late.
    Unit Segat

Unit Shabuiti

Unit Egos

Unit Wiet

Unit Romanq

Unit Retaba

Unit Vertroue

They were all Paleons, listed in long-forgotten archives. All seven of them. And Ringo came to a conlusion;

The Cultists weren't real. They were a front for Paleons. Perhaps even the Network itself. And he didn't know why.

And he never would. That's really got to Ringo, more than the troops kicking his door down and training rifles on him.

He was too angry to be scared. "Look, you idiots, they're manipulating your records! You don't want me, you want-"

It was a clean shot. He appreciated that, at least.

There was a saying in Alpha Sector, a sort of backhanded testament to the system's reputation; the only difference between a cornered rat and a cornered Arcadian is that one is an endangered species.

Anialos unloaded his pistol at the Cultist. The robes fluttered and smouldered as each photon bolt hit home. But they hit the man's body, not some intangible telekinetic field. Eventually the robes flickered and vanished.

The engineer knew holograms when he saw them. And he knew a Paleon when he saw it.

"You're not... you're not even human..."

"Unit Retaba does not vocalise thoughts in an auditory language. He considers it a waste of his runtime."

Anialos whirled around, pistol readied, even though he was quite certain the charge had been depleted. His eyes widened when he saw the new arrival.

"You're... no, no you can't be. I saw the surveillance footage. The Renegade killed you!"

Segat smiled. And then his face vanished, and his robes faded away, replaced with the nondescript silvery plating and optics of a Paleon.

"As if a real Commandant would be such a simpering victim. But I am quite proud of the 'human' me. He looked very convincing, if I do say so myself. And I must admit, these organic 'psionics', they're a very interesting technique."

"I don't understand..."

"Of course you don't. And you need not worry about such things. Unit Retaba?"

Unit Retaba preferred to spend his runtime on more pressing matters. And it showed in his efficient dispatch.

The Renegade was slightly concerned to hear a voice coming from nowhere. Not so much because it was coming from nowhere, but because it wasn't one of the usual disembodied sepulchral voices that he was used to.

"It was never about Arcadia. Arcadia is a rock. It is a world of no significance.

It was about you, Renegade. It always has been.

We came to Arcadia because we knew you would come to us.

Because of your arrogance, your ego, we knew you would despise such traits in others.

So we crafted personalities. Tailored them to bring you out of hiding. Cocky, powerful killers. In seeing yourself in us you would hate us, you would come to put us in our place. You would come to purge the Cult that reminded you of your past."

He couldn't trace the signal. Carb tried, or more accurately the Grandcruiser's countermeasures tried, but the transmission's encryption would've defied even the Supercomputer's expertise.

"Who is this?" he demanded, but what he'd intended to sound like an imperious command came out as an impish squeak.

"The Cultist Armada. In a manner of speaking."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"There is no Cult. There is no Armada. There are merely a few ships. Some conditioned slaves. The odd genetically engineered clone."

"What?"

"I did not expect you to understand. No one even questioned where our forces came from.

The Armada is but a few divisions. We can offer no threat to Alpha Sector. The bulk of our 'endless fleet' is nothing but signal interference."

Carb blinked. "Why do that? It would simply bring other fleets crashing down on you! We brought an entire Legion battalion!"

"Precisely."

"But... you needed the planet empty to perform your ritual..."

"Our ritual? What did you think it required? Chanting. Dancing. Perhaps self-flagellation.

No. Our ritual merely consisted of gathering energy. With the deaths of countless psions. With the constant uses of transdimensional powers. With, and this is one we were intensely grateful for, the fusion cannons of city-sized battleships."

"And so you did," the voice told Rend. "Twisting and breaking and burning these bodies of little consequence, and powering our great ritual with your murders and your quips.

You slaughtered droves of brainwashed clones. How very challenging that must have been for you. Did you like the part where they cowered before your righteous wrath? It took us quite some time to get that part of their conditioning right."

"This war was our ritual. We have already completed it."

Carb stumbled and collapsed into a chair. "My god..."

"We are the Amalgam. We are seven, ruled by three. We act as one. Emissary Paleons of the departed Uclasion Dynasty. We are the last gatekeepers of the Faith.

We serve the Machine Patriarch. The precursor of the Paleon race. The template from which the Uclasions crafted us, making us in His image.

We serve Primaphorior.

We have brought him home."

"Ringo? Come in! This is Detective Cythraul. I've worked it out."

He'd survived. Years of working amongst (and sometimes against) Arcadia's thriving psionic populace had given the detective psionic defences that were the envy of special ops teams the galaxy over. The Cultist's attack had nearly killed him, but not quite.

"Ringo, if you can hear me, you need to answer. I know what they are, and what they're... trying to do..."

The communicator slowly slid out of his hand.

Cythraul stood and stared as the sky began to split in half.

Kwychen's fists clenched.

"You listen to me, machines. You know not what you have unleashed.

Primaphorior is to transmuters as I am to some initiate telekinetic. He is... he is like nothing you can comprehend.

When I return to Arcadia, I will not hold back. Subtlety isn't necessary this time. Carnage is.

I will destroy you. I will kill you in so many ways that they'll have to invent new words to describe my methods. You, all of you, I don't care if you're coterminous hivemind imbeciles or otherwise, all of you, will die by my hand."

"No," said the voice. "Not by your hand. By His.

We have brought the First back. And he will return us to the light. It is all we have ever wanted."

Kwychen sneered. "Idiots. So after all that, you really are a cult. Another End cult. Another bunch of death-worshipping morons desperate to be destroyed. But you couldn't resort to suicide, oh no, you had to doom everyone else."

"You misunderstand.

He will elevate us. We shall leave behind these corporeal bodies.

We shall become like you. We will transcend this metal and this circuitry.

We will be. Perfect."

I AM PRIMAPHORIOR.

Night 8 casualties

Anialos, an Engineer, struck by awful psionic power
    Ringo, the Veteran, outed by his own people

Last Day's Survivors:

Retaba, the last member of the Cultist Armada's Triumvirate
    Cythrual, the Detective, more Psi Defence than a rock

THE CULTIST ARMADA CONTROLS ARCADIA.

The Mafia are Victorious!

Other Endgame Victories

Taya - the Scientist, sent her projects safely off-world

If you are listening to this, I am dead. Or possessed. Or compromised. None of those appeal.

But science marches on.

I have forwarded the enclosed findings to both the Pinnacle Guild and the Exigent Organisation.

As well as... a few other interested parties.

With this research, with the observations of both myself and my predecessor, we might have a chance of repelling this threat.

I have calculated a few outcomes, and I have formulated a plan.

The probability of success is not significant. But I don't give a damn, and neither should you.

Rend searched through the wreckage. There was a lot of it. But this was probably going to be the hardest of the, ah, "recruitments", and so he wanted to get it out of the way.

And he found it. A slither of core, like the segment of a heavyweight orange, still connected to a skeletal, bare frontal plate and a shattered eye lens. He concentrated, sent dancing electrons flowing through it again.

"All right," he began levelly. "I hate you and you hate me, but damned if I don't admire your work. And right now we need something like you, otherwise we're all... what's the technical term? Fucked.

Kwychen- that's the purple-fire poseur- and I are going to find a way to get you running again. In return, you're going to help us. Do we have an agreement?"

It stared, blind and impassive, at nothing at particular.

"Say something!"

Silence for a moment. And then it spoke.

"Fffrfffdd aaahhhrr buuuffff errrrrrttt uuukk."

"Something coherent, you heap of scrap!"

"... MURDER."

Rend smiled. "That's a start."

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    bleh rotten @Langly . never to be trusted in the most sacred of deals

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Anialos wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be a host victory?

How do you figure that? Cythraul would have still been alive. Of course if Ringo would have responded when I contacted him the night before at his behest, we would have voted for Retaba anyways. Definitely have a grudge to follow off this one.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Quick, who killed me? I bet it was a random village attack.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »

nah we killed you

• Options
    I'd bet you are right!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    So who killed me?

I got a random 6 on day 1
    Healed and Guarded on day 2
    Then blasted to smitherens on day 3

Pretty much business as usual.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

nah we killed you

Dag. Dag.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227