As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying retro console hardware/software

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I um..would like to give your SNES games a loving home, if you want to be rid of them.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    An inquiry to Jeremy Parish about choosing between the AVS and Nt mini led to him offering me his AVS for sale, so that should be on the way soon. So that's exciting.

I still need to pick up my little 13" CRT from my parents' place as soon as I get a place to set it up. Debating between setting up my SNES with it (I need to track down a S-Video cable) or just selling the SNES and my games outright.

Why sell all your games, though?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    An inquiry to Jeremy Parish about choosing between the AVS and Nt mini led to him offering me his AVS for sale, so that should be on the way soon. So that's exciting.

I still need to pick up my little 13" CRT from my parents' place as soon as I get a place to set it up. Debating between setting up my SNES with it (I need to track down a S-Video cable) or just selling the SNES and my games outright.

I don't have as much nostalgia as I do for the NES (and by extension Famicom) and I just don't have all the space for these consoles and games anymore.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

I don't have as much nostalgia as I do for the NES (and by extension Famicom) and I just don't have all the space for these consoles and games anymore.

Ah, that sucks. Let us know when you've decided if you want to sell them. I might be interested in a few if I have the money when you do.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular

Any standouts in that list of games?

Also I'd take an AVS over Nt Mini any day. I guess if you like the idea of their "jailbreaking" firmware, then, sure. But at that point might as well just emulate stuff, especially considering the price on some of that stuff.

Also apparently the AVS wireless controller should be coming out soon. It was apparently used in some marathon for over 100 hours and never needed a charge. Looking forward to it.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »

Any standouts in that list of games?

Also I'd take an AVS over Nt Mini any day. I guess if you like the idea of their "jailbreaking" firmware, then, sure. But at that point might as well just emulate stuff, especially considering the price on some of that stuff.

Also apparently the AVS wireless controller should be coming out soon. It was apparently used in some marathon for over 100 hours and never needed a charge. Looking forward to it.

I'm aware of the jailbreaking feature and while it does some neat stuff none of it particularly interested me. I'm keeping the Nt mini as an upgrade path should I decide I want those extra features in the future.

Definitely interested in that wireless controller as well. I was thinking of trying to figure out a way to connect the NES Classic controller to the AVS but that seemed like more hassle than it's worth. I wish there was a reliable reseller of refurbished OEM NES Controllers.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Ben Heck got the Nintendo PlayStation up and working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaIfPuziJ-0

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Does anyone have experience with the Retro Freak? I was thinking of picking one up but wanted to know how it handled up scaling, and lag issues. Also can you used original controllers on it? All the pictures I see of it only show USB

Artoria on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I finally decided to plop down the cash for a xrgb framemeister. Probably will arrive in july is my guess. It really was amazing to see how terrible the NES looked on my 2014 hdtv. The colors were terrible and it was super blurry, unplayable. Luckily I have older TVs (including CRT) that it looks much better on. I will try out the RGB connections too, although I still find it a little confusing though. You need a cable for the framemeister in addition to the console too or is it just one?

Also, can we talk about retro games here too? I've been playing through the StarTropics series (never played them before) and man, they did not age well at all. It is really surprising for a Nintendo developed game to have things like controls be so bad and stiff. The games definitely feel like they were developed by C-level talent. The 2nd game barely fixes the problems with the first one and introduces a whole bunch more (no after-hit invincibility even though the first game had it...). I'm not too surprised that the IP has sat around. They'd have to completely revamp the entire game to make a new one.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I love everything about StarTropics except playing it. I would so love a remake.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I love everything about StarTropics except playing it. I would so love a remake.

Yeah, playing Star Tropics is like being strapped to a chair and having a yo-yo thrown into my balls over and over again.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Yeah, playing Star Tropics is like being strapped to a chair and having a yo-yo thrown into my balls over and over again.

Once you learn that the whole game moves on a grid and learn where the grid-lines are it gets a lot more tolerable.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Our PS2 is missing.

All I can find is Tony Hawk 4 and THUG1. I am pretty sure THPS3 was in the tray of the system... That is what I wanted to play dammit!

I'm bummed about this!

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I used to trawl Goodwills for retro games but even now they seem wise, too. I haven't see anything game related in a while, aside from random third party controllers and such. But I'm sure there are others doing the same as me so maybe I'm just too late. Used to find all sorts of games, usually common ones. But a few times found some rare stuff for insanely cheap. I got a copy of Earthbound for $3. It was in a milk crate of which was mostly Super Mario World and Jeopardy! carts. It had a big Blockbuster sticker over the front so you could only tell from the spine of the game.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I also got a SNES in box with manual, wasn't super rare but was in surprisingly nice condition and only cost me 10 bucks.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I used to trawl Goodwills for retro games but even now they seem wise, too. I haven't see anything game related in a while, aside from random third party controllers and such. But I'm sure there are others doing the same as me so maybe I'm just too late. Used to find all sorts of games, usually common ones. But a few times found some rare stuff for insanely cheap. I got a copy of Earthbound for $3. It was in a milk crate of which was mostly Super Mario World and Jeopardy! carts. It had a big Blockbuster sticker over the front so you could only tell from the spine of the game.

Unless the employee flat misses them(possible but not likely), anything video game related is immediately intercepted before it even gets out of the stock room and goes up on their auction site.

• Options
    So my old Turbo Duo has lost it's voice. Has anyone had to have their's re-capped and can recommend someone?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Hey thanks for that. However me with a soldering iron would result in a lot of burnt fingers and a melted motherboard I'm sure. :(

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I don't know if it's true anymore there used to be a practice teaching kit that was for sale but that was a whole different age

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    go find any old piece of tech that you don't care about anymore like a vcr, old laptop, etc (just don't mess with power supplies).

And then just practice de-soldering and soldering on components for a while. It doesn't take very long to get decent enough at it to do some cap swaps.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations for switches/hubs? I've got all of my 'retro' systems in one place now and would like to hook as many as possible to my PVM without having to hook and unhook my cables. Ideally I'll be using component and S-video for as many systems as I can affordably get cables for, and use BNC adapter plugs, since I can't afford the something like $35+ per cable getting custom SCART cables for everything.
    Here is a picture of what I'm working with:
    FWt1lM9.jpg

• Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations for switches/hubs? I've got all of my 'retro' systems in one place now and would like to hook as many as possible to my PVM without having to hook and unhook my cables. Ideally I'll be using component and S-video for as many systems as I can affordably get cables for, and use BNC adapter plugs, since I can't afford the something like $35+ per cable getting custom SCART cables for everything.
    FWt1lM9.jpg

One thing I had planned on doing with mine, was having basically some extension cables with male to female adapters on them coming out from my tv, so i just wouldn't have to get around the back of the unit to plug/unplug stuff all the time.

I know they make simple A/V switch boxes, but I haven't seen many with more than about 4 in 1 out. Although, depending on what inputs are available on your pvm, you might be able to leave a few things hooked up dedicated, then do the rest through a switch of some sort.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    So I'm going to try and start something for those who are interested.

snes.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=770

As we all know the SNES classic edition is going to out later this year. And although Nintendo is claiming they are going to be making a lot more of them, it still could be difficult for some people to get their hands on one. I'd like for people to help out when and where they can. I'll probably check with an admin to make sure this is all good, but if people are able to get their hands on any extra consoles, if we could try and help each other out by selling it to a forum member here (that isn't some brand new person anyways), for cost + shipping, and maybe a bit extra for a tip, so we help each other avoid needing to pay some insane markup if the scalpers do happen to manage to corner a piece of the market.

I would have liked an NES classic, but it didn't really have anything that i felt i just had to have it for. But the snes classic, especially with having an unreleased game, i feel I'd get far more value from it.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    FWt1lM9.jpg

Let me introduce you to glory of the Extron Crosspoint.

https://youtu.be/998tBzpJhVo?t=21m

Edit: having difficulty getting the player link queued to the right spot, it starts exactly at 21 minutes in.

I can upload some photos mine when I'm home from work, but it's pretty much the best way to handle multiple inputs and outputs. Everything runs through bnc and it supports basically every analog video type except rf. I got mine super cheap on eBay by doing a "make an offer" for like a third of the price. The audio connectors are the only issue. I made mine by gutting some stuff I got on mono price. Cost maybe $1 per audio adapter. No soldering needed, but you gotta strip cables.

Jeix on
  • Options
    Mother of God, that looks incredible! I completely forgot the MLIG did an episode on switches and at the time hadn't even considered the Crosspoint. Think I'm going to be doing some cost analyses here today..

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

As we all know the SNES classic edition is going to out later this year. And although Nintendo is claiming they are going to be making a lot more of them, it still could be difficult for some people to get their hands on one. I'd like for people to help out when and where they can. I'll probably check with an admin to make sure this is all good, but if people are able to get their hands on any extra consoles, if we could try and help each other out by selling it to a forum member here (that isn't some brand new person anyways), for cost + shipping, and maybe a bit extra for a tip, so we help each other avoid needing to pay some insane markup if the scalpers do happen to manage to corner a piece of the market.

I would have liked an NES classic, but it didn't really have anything that i felt i just had to have it for. But the snes classic, especially with having an unreleased game, i feel I'd get far more value from it.

Cool deal, but wouldn't you want to promote that here, too?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

Cool deal, but wouldn't you want to promote that here, too?

Yep, i'll do that. Going to see if I can just make sure everything is on the up and up before I do this though. I post on the Nintendo Age forum sometimes and someone started a thread over there about it, which is keeping a running list of people. I don't think I'll quite go that far, but I think if we can all help each other out, everyone will be happy, some people might make a few bucks for the effort, and best of all, people won't have to shell out double the price to fucking scalpers.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

I'm doing this with two of my friends who all live in different states, but I'd like to get in on this too here if there's any interested. I'd buy from someone if I can't get one and I'd be willing to pick up extras just to sell to anyone here for the same amount I paid just to help someone out/stick it scalper scum.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Anyone here have experience replacing a battery in a gameboy advanced game? I've been interested in playing the Golden Sun series for a long time, and I finally got around to picking up a copy. Unfortunately, while the game works, saving the game does not. I assume this is because the battery that backs up the saves is bad.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    No experience specifically but it doesn't look too complicated. Just need to make sure to be grounded and to make sure not to short out the new battery.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Gameboy+Advance+Cartridge+Battery+Replacement/24237

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with the Wii "Black screen of death." I try to boot mine and the green light comes on, the DVD drive whirrs, but there's no AV output.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Been quiet in here. Earlier this week a friend and I were looking at the local university's surplus store inventory on their site and came across some interesting equipment. We made plans to check it out on the next day they were open that we both weren't working during their open hours, and lo and behold:
    VCvw0sN.jpg
    Got both of these units because they were five dollars a piece. From what I can tell, they're both the same thing as an Extron Crosspoint but by another company. Loaded with BNC inputs and outputs. The top unit uses a 5-pin power cable that runs between $40 and $85 from what I can tell, but the lower one uses a standard power supply cord, so it's probably the one I'm going to be trying out first. I've been pricing out the cables and adapters I'll need to get up and running and I'm looking at around $25 to get started: female RCA ends for audio (as with the Crosspoint, they take pigtailed ends so I'll have to make my own adapters), BNC to BNC cable to output to my PVM, and a handful of BNC adapter plugs for my system cables. Assuming it all works, then I'll start the process of acquiring component/rgb cables for as many systems as I can.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    After 25+ years, yesterday I finally was able to beat 3D World Runner on NES. Fucking hell, that game. By the way, you have to kill the final boss 6 times.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wait, what the hell is that thing on the left side?

• Options
    Karaoke addon for the Mega CD.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wild.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Oh hey thread bumped. Tower of Power + even more power??

npx8w5152oax.jpeg

I got my not-a-crosspoint working pretty well, though getting everything hooked up to it properly is going to take some $$$ I don’t have a lot extra of. I’ve got my Wii and Ps2 hooked up and working great though I might upgrade the ps2’s component cables to official ones eventually. And maybe get an early model slim for best PS1 compatibility.
    Somewhat interestingly, the sync on the not-a-Crosspoint is split between H and V. VGA to BNC cables typically split sync the same way, so I *think* I can get breakout cables to work for Dreamcast and Xbox 360 VGA cables. But that will introduce a new wrinkle in the setup, I think, as sync on my PVM is one input, the proper name for which eludes me at the moment, and I’m not sure how/if I can force H and V sync into one signal. I’m learning all this junk as I go and it makes me go cross eyed.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    and knuckles

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png