As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Pre-PAX Dinner: Get Involved

• Options
    CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    Are you talking to the person that actually gets to make decisions on the pricing?

• Options
    sleepygeckossleepygeckos Registered User regular
    I just have to interject to say how great you guys for dealing with all this annoying back and forth just so the rest of us can have a great time! Thanks!

• Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I just have to interject to say how great you guys for dealing with all this annoying back and forth just so the rest of us can have a great time! Thanks!

I second this statement. Can't wait to get in and book it so we can enjoy all your hard work!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Creamsteak wrote: »
    Are you talking to the person that actually gets to make decisions on the pricing?

It looks like the planner gave us a quote, and then the co-owner/catering director came in and changed it. Replies are a little slow, but both people are copied on all emails so I assume yes.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Fenrisfang wrote: »

I second this statement. Can't wait to get in and book it so we can enjoy all your hard work!

Yeah well it's a more public discussion since we're working as a team. @Beta_Angel has been dealing with these headaches behind the scenes for years all by himself.

• Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I've said in private and I'll say in public:

I think you guys are taking this all in the right direction and I really love the fact that you're working on this as a community. :) Keep it up and I really, really hope I can make it!!

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

It looks like the planner gave us a quote, and then the co-owner/catering director came in and changed it.
    Since I'm kinda ignorant about these sorta things, do event halls not have set rates depending on what's going on? You'd think this would be information they'd easily be able to just post online and not have to make up on the spot.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    You normally negotiate rates depending on the client and the event. This situation is unusually confused so it's tough to tell if actually we're negotiating in a passive-aggressive Seattle way.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    You normally negotiate rates depending on the client and the event. This situation is unusually confused so it's tough to tell if actually we're negotiating in a passive-aggressive Seattle way.

I'd say do it the Alaskan way and while it sounds badass, it actually just involves drunk dialing them and then never actually paying the bill.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    It's tough to tell if actually we're negotiating in a passive-aggressive Seattle way.

Good luck with that... :(

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I'd say do it the Alaskan way and while it sounds badass, it actually just involves drunk dialing them and then never actually paying the bill.

I learned gold old fashion Midwest Style: "This is what i'm willing to pay, this is your last chance to produce a contract with that amount on there, Good day!" (Although there's usually a bit more back and forth because I tend to start low.)
    How far apart is the original quote from what they want now? Ususally (behind the scenes) there's some base rate that gets various modifiers attached on (Price lowered for off day, raised for setup, up or down for time depending on several factors.) It shouldn't be that hard.

• Options
    tsrblke wrote: »
    I learned gold old fashion Midwest Style: "This is what i'm willing to pay, this is your last chance to produce a contract with that amount on there, Good day!" (Although there's usually a bit more back and forth because I tend to start low.)

"Are we haggling? Are you trying to haggle? I don't know where you're from, but around here we don't haggle. That's the price. Take it or leave it."

• Options
    edited May 2012
    How far apart is the original quote from what they want now?

Quite a bit.

It smells to me like someone accidentally quoted it too low, got yelled at, and is trying to backpedal without admitting fault. Because when we met with them, the planner seemed perfectly intelligent but the level of confusion as shown in the emails is not intelligent at all. The quoted price changes within the same paragraph.

Sole Repair really is a nicer space, easier to access, air conditioning, all-ages, etc... If they're befuddled, that's okay, we'll let them work it out. If they're douchetards, that's not ok and we shall say to them, 'Good Day, Sir. Good Day.'

At this point we're just chatting about it while we wait to hear back.

(oh yeah, and @Creamsteak - BWAHAHA. On both comments.)

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    How far apart is the original quote from what they want now?

Quite a bit.

It smells to me like someone accidentally quoted it too low, got yelled at, and is trying to backpedal without admitting fault. Because when we met with them, the planner seemed perfectly intelligent but the level of confusion and shown in the emails are not intelligent at all. The quoted price changes within the same paragraph.

At this point it's just chatting while we wait to hear back.

Yeah, Just keep in mind, nothing is ever official until until you have a contract sitting in your inbox. So even if they give in now, they could still screw you in the contracting phase. This would not be the first time I've seen that happen.

"Are we haggling? Are you trying to haggle? I don't know where you're from, but around here we don't haggle. That's the price. Take it or leave it."

Fair enough point, although, I have, many times, taken the "leave it" option, especially if I have something at similar par as a backup (hence the backup shopping ;) ) Everything is negotiable, as my father would say. (The key is just voting with you feet!) It seems we (and by We, I guess I mean you guys) could safely take the "leave it" option which shifts the power in the negotiation to you. (Also this is why it's important to let the other side open negotiations, you'd be surprised how often people will lowball themselves.)

• Options
    Yeah, Just keep in mind, nothing is ever official until until you have a contract sitting in your inbox. So even if they give in now, they could still screw you in the contracting phase. This would not be the first time I've seen that happen.

Yup.

• Options
    Hey you guys who want a Pig Roast, check THIS out.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular

So did you email them? Would you like me to if you haven't?

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    vespachica wrote: »

So did you email them? Would you like me to if you haven't?

I DID. :mrgreen:

• Options
    Hooray!! :D If there's anything you need taken off your plate just let us know and we'll be happy to be your minions!

(Man, I'm so glad I'm feeling better and like a human again.)

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    Hooray!! :D If there's anything you need taken off your plate just let us know and we'll be happy to be your minions!

I got off the boat this morning and now have Internet hooked up at my new place, so I can at least contact places if help is needed on that end. I'll be free all day long the next 8 days.

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • Options
    Anybody want to take over the discussions with Sole Repair? I'm heading out of town on Thursday, and since the in-person visit has been completed, anybody can take it from this point on.

• Options
    I will if you forward me the email with all the details.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Anybody want to take over the discussions with Sole Repair? I'm heading out of town on Thursday, and since the in-person visit has been completed, anybody can take it from this point on.

Send them my way, I promise to play nice. I'm the one with the credit card they're going to need anyway.

How much of a clusterfuck are these guys throwing our way? Have they given yet another random quote? If they've thrown 4 different quotes at us, I'm honestly kind of inclined to tell them to go fuck themselves with a rake. Barca has proven to be very gracious and willing to try and make this work with 0 bullshit. It would take away the all ages option but it's not like you guys didn't put forth a great effort to try and make it work.
    Unfortunately for them that would be my inbox and then they'd get introduced to a verbal ass whupping courtesy of the Puerto Rican half of me. I don't take kindly to people trying to pull a fast one on me.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    @TOGSolid - Sending you the Details via email.

• Options
    edited May 2012

Crap! I didn't see this before I replied to TOG. My bad. I'll copy you on the email(s) too and the two of you can thunderdome for it.

Just make sure you tape it so I can watch later.

EDIT: Get the battleaxe and cut his bungees.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    Heh. No worries. It makes sense for him to go Alaska style anyway! Well, and plus he has offered up the credit card.

Daddy, can I have a pony?
    /off topic

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    It makes sense for him to go Alaska style anyway!

Why does that sound so much like a reference to whether he's wearing underwear or not? (Which I hear, are Harry Potter themed).

• Options

Why does that sound so much like a reference to whether he's wearing underwear or not? (Which I hear, are Harry Potter themed).

Hey, it's important to get only the best to protect one's wand and sorcerer's stones.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hey, it's important to get only the best to protect one's wand and sorcerer's stones.

OMG!! I came to this forum to check out the progress on this and the planning and I find this. I am dying here!! I literally was laughing so much my boyfriend came running in and thought something was wrong!! Thank you for that!! XD

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Crap! I didn't see this before I replied to TOG. My bad. I'll copy you on the email(s) too and the two of you can thunderdome for it.

If you guys need somebody to wander over to Sole Repair after 7 with some persuasive instruments, let me know since I live like 10 blocks from them (if that). I know people who have piccolos and theramins. :twisted:

Also, if Sole Repair or the caterer needs to have the owner of the credit card here in person, or contracts signed in person, I can also offer up my CC. It has a credit limit large enough to cover the whole thing. And, I could use the rewards points.

TheMisanthrope on
    PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    edited May 2012

If you guys need somebody to wander over to Sole Repair after 7 with some persuasive instruments, let me know since I live like 10 blocks from them (if that). I know people who have piccolos and theramins. :twisted:

Also, if Sole Repair or the caterer needs to have the owner of the credit card here in person, or contracts signed in person, I can also offer up my CC. It has a credit limit large enough to cover the whole thing. And, I could use the rewards points.

Hey, I'm the one trying to hustle tons of easy airmiles here damnit! :lol:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular

Hey, I'm the one trying to hustle tons of easy airmiles here damnit! :lol:

See, I was going to use mine for things like video games. Here's my gold star. (*)

Also, I love that the Star Expression is also the ASCII code for a horses butt.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    Sole Repair hasn't replied to the last email yet, unless they got hold of @TOGSolid. Probably not a bad idea to follow up with them so we can get moving on this.

• Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Sounds like you guys are getting to a good start! While I'd love the idea of an all ages PPD, if Barca offers the best value/is more practical, then so be it. As I've said before, I'll be 21 eventually, so the PPD must keep going! Good work, everyone. So great to see the PAX community come together like this.

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I've been mostly lurking, but I just want to say thank you for all your work! This dinner's going to be awesome wherever it's going to be.

• Options
    lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular

"I put on my robe and wizard hat..."

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Just so everyone knows: Things are still progressing just fine, we're just hiding in a super seekrit email correspondence at the moment while we get the final event location hammered out.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Just so everyone knows: Things are still progressing just fine, we're just hiding in a super seekrit email correspondence at the moment while we get the final event location hammered out.

I'm not hammered tonight! :-P

• Options

I'm not hammered tonight! :-P
    DOING IT WRONG

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    TOG and Lexicon, I've emailed you some information regarding emails.

It's an important message from the department of redundancy department.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
This discussion has been closed.