As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Also, volunteering instead of donating is economically backward.

If you're volunteering, you're probably doing something somebody could do for minimum wage.

But if you're in a professional position you could be making upwards of $30 or $40 or $50 an hour.

So the only reason to volunteer instead of moonlight is if you get some personal gain out of doing so.

So instead of mentoring a kid I should...hire someone to be his role model?

Not that it matters, just found out today that my volunteer application to BBBS got denied because one or more of my references implied I didn't have the time/wasn't able to commit. Most likely my boss. Bah.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

If you're volunteering, you're probably doing something somebody could do for minimum wage.

But if you're in a professional position you could be making upwards of $30 or $40 or $50 an hour.

So the only reason to volunteer instead of moonlight is if you get some personal gain out of doing so.

Not that it matters, just found out today that my volunteer application to BBBS got denied because one or more of my references implied I didn't have the time/wasn't able to commit. Most likely my boss. Bah.

Right, there's an exception for when you want to volunteer to do something because you believe you could do a better job than someone else.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I can't even figure out how to aim in Mount and Blade.

It takes like a bajillion hours just to get the feel of where a spear thrust lands / how close you can get before you're unable to wield polearms / etc

A lot of it is about intuition, which is fucking frustrating as hell through the medium of a keyboard/mouse (and the awful camera position)...

So for a ghetto solution I just couch my lance and don't even click anymore. Just get up to a good charging speed so the polearm automatically lowers and aim for someone off to the side of their main force. Plus couched damage is just silly and the feel of it is really solid. Switch to axe for close quarters combat and just swing away, not even giving a fuck about aim, until your entire arm is covered in residual blood.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oooh oooh analyze me next Winky!

Honestly?

I'm not sure, but I've thought to myself before that you might have ADD because you have a very similar waxing/waning pattern to me in which you will get very deeply interested in a hobby or subject for a relatively short period of time and then move onto another one. For instance, you tend to gain a lot of advanced knowledge very quickly about competitive games, but you never stick with them long enough to develop into a competitive player.

And if it seems like I am very quick to diagnose people with ADD; well (1) I am and you shouldn't trust me because I only have a bachelors and (2) I would predict that there is a much higher incidence of ADD and ADHD than normal among people who play video games, as well as among people who post on forums.

Who is next?

Somedays I do feel as though I have ADD, but minorly at most. But, self diagnosis is p. useless. So, I can see what you be getting at.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    adrafinil is the best character in the silmarillion

is the multi working yet
    how the hell should i know

I assumed you would be checking it every minute
    you play it more than i do, dork
    do not

nerd

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    "Good" in that it knew how to both reward and punish in such a manner that you were utterly enslaved by the prospect of becoming a middling jarl in some backwater shit-kingdom.

That's not a bad way of putting it. I know I binged on that game like crazy when I first started playing.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Winky, you're making me afraid i have ADD... i probably don't but... Good gravy am i afraid i do now.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I'm going to post this here and not the Avatar thread. It will be buried and forgotten here within a day and the shame will evaporate soon after. But, man, the show's fans really want these two characters to fall in love. They're doctoring the show's footage to make it look like they're kissing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rmRcvmLHS0&feature=related

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Right, there's an exception for when you want to volunteer to do something because you believe you could do a better job than someone else.

Alright, it's apparent I phrased my comments more extremely than I should have.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Why the fuck do Kindle editions of a lot of books cost more than the paperbacks?

#firstworldrage

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm going to post this here and not the Avatar thread. It will be buried and forgotten here within a day and the shame will evaporate soon after. But, man, the show's fans really want these two characters to fall in love. They're doctoring the show's footage to make it look like they're kissing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rmRcvmLHS0&feature=related

Shippers, man. Sun shines, grass grows, bird flies and shippers make creepy shrines to their favored couple.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    weeaboos

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Best part of ADD is when you procrastinate having fun.

Ugh.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

Honestly?

I'm not sure, but I've thought to myself before that you might have ADD because you have a very similar waxing/waning pattern to me in which you will get very deeply interested in a hobby or subject for a relatively short period of time and then move onto another one. For instance, you tend to gain a lot of advanced knowledge very quickly about competitive games, but you never stick with them long enough to develop into a competitive player.

And if it seems like I am very quick to diagnose people with ADD; well (1) I am and you shouldn't trust me because I only have a bachelors and (2) I would predict that there is a much higher incidence of ADD and ADHD than normal among people who play video games, as well as among people who post on forums.

Who is next?

<--

• Options

Ugh.

wait, that's an ADD symptom?

i spent all day procrastinating playing a video game...

i'm getting freaked out, man. Freaked out!

• Options

Honestly?

Who is next?

Somedays I do feel as though I have ADD, but minorly at most. But, self diagnosis is p. useless. So, I can see what you be getting at.

Well, allow me to ask you more questions:

How quickly can you perform mental math relative to other people?

Would you say that, when excluded from a group, you are more often explicitly rejected or more often ignored?

Would you consider yourself lazy?

Would you consider yourself impressionable?

Do you find yourself being afraid of the consequences of your actions?

Do you shy away from confrontations?

• Options
    edited May 2012

Honestly?

Who is next?

Well, allow me to ask you more questions:

How quickly can you perform mental math relative to other people?

Would you say that, when excluded from a group, you are more often explicitly rejected or more often ignored?

Would you consider yourself lazy?

Would you consider yourself impressionable?

Do you find yourself being afraid of the consequences of your actions?

Do you shy away from confrontations?

winky... Are those symptoms?

i'm really scared now.

Actually, can you develop ADD? My kindergarten teacher though i was hyperactive and i went to see a psychologist as a kid and i was diagnosed not hyperactive...

Is it a thing that can kick in later on in life?

edit: I feel like i am bad at mental math.
    I feel more often ignored than explicitly rejected.
    I consider myself lazy.
    I consider myself impressionable.
    I a, afraid of the consequences of my actions.
    i shy away from confrontations.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    damn Winky this is getting all Bertram Forer up ins.

edit: GASP!
    You have a need for other people to like and admire you, and yet you tend to be critical of yourself. While you have some personality weaknesses you are generally able to compensate for them. You have considerable unused capacity that you have not turned to your advantage. Disciplined and self-controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure on the inside. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You also pride yourself as an independent thinker; and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof. But you have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. At times you are extroverted, affable, and sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, and reserved. Some of your aspirations tend to be rather unrealistic.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it 21st. Maybe bring it up with your mental health guy.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I was diagnosed ADD a long time ago. Like full blown what the fuck. As a kid, and then as a teenager. My mom wouldn't let them put me on any meds.

I probably should be on them

• Options
    my brother's girlfriend got mad at me because, in discussing how fat my niece has gotten, i said 'it's like picking up a costco bag of cat litter'

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Ugh.

It is the shits, procrastination makes everything good bad and everything bad worse

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Do you find yourself tired when you wake up in the morning? Sometimes, do you want to talk to people at parties?

You have cancer.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Why the fuck do Kindle editions of a lot of books cost more than the paperbacks?

#firstworldrage

Thanks Obama... wait
    CEA Slams DOJ, Obama Administration Over E-Book Lawsuit Against Apple

Sneek peak:
    "Our nation is heading toward an economic cliff, and the administration is not only putting its full weight on the accelerator, it is removing the airbags of innovation and growth, which are our best chance at safely avoiding economic catastrophe."

Who talks like that?

Caveman Paws on
  • Options

I don't see him before my birthday in July. i really hope I'll remember that...

Then again, I'll probably sound dumb, self-diagnosing ADD...

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I think that was overgenerous Chu as a Costco sack of cat litter serves more of a purpose than a babby

• Options

Ugh.

I'm pretty sure you need to have a lot of the symptoms to even consider it.

95% of the time I can't focus hard enough to play a videogame. Unless you're like that I wouldn't worry.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    A babby could, theoretically, be used in the same manner as cat litter

• Options
    A babby could, theoretically, be used in the same manner as cat litter

meh

too wiggly

• Options

Ugh.

95% of the time I can't focus hard enough to play a videogame. Unless you're like that I wouldn't worry.

Thank you so much, Disco Terrier, that's a weight off my shoulder.

i guess i'm just lazy and bad at math! Woohoo!

• Options
    well

to be honest before she got mad she said 'what's costco'

and i explained it then she got mad

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

Honestly?

Who is next?

<--

Chu, I don't know what your psychiatrist told you but I am, like 99.9% positive you have adult ADHD.

You were apparently violent and impulsive when you were a child but you have since calmed down in adulthood. If you weren't bumping up the numbers a lil' bit when you told me then you are rather promiscuous (and if you were then you were lying which is an ADHD thing too). You talk a lot and are fairly charismatic when you do, and you seem to spontaneously talk to strangers without any fear.

These are all commonly qualities of someone with ADHD.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Some video games are just not that great and if it cannot hold your attention for very long maybe you are above such tawdry attempts at entertainment?

• Options

As someone who doesn't exhibit many symptoms of anything in front of people, I can say that self-diagnosing and then consulting a doctor to get real verification for it is probably not a stupid thing.

yGxvf.png
  • Options

Honestly?

Who is next?

<--

Chu, I don't know what your psychiatrist told you but I am, like 99.9% positive you have adult ADHD.

You were apparently violent and impulsive when you were a child but you have since calmed down in adulthood. If you weren't bumping up the numbers a lil' bit when you told me then you are rather promiscuous (and if you were then you were lying which is an ADHD thing too). You talk a lot and are fairly charismatic when you do, and you seem to spontaneously talk to strangers without any fear.

but you fuck no one and never fight and you are painfully shy and self-conscious!

goddamnit you are the worst diagnostician

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ¿abrazo TODOS los gatos?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

As someone who doesn't exhibit many symptoms of anything in front of people, I can say that self-diagnosing and then consulting a doctor to get real verification for it is probably not a stupid thing.

Yeah, yeah, that's true.

After all, my self-diagnosis of general anxiety disorder was right.

• Options

Honestly?

Who is next?

<--

There are all common qualities of a human being as well.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    tumblr_m3bxxjinkq1qc4kdxo1_500.jpg

TL DR on
  • Options

Ugh.

Thank you so much, Disco Terrier, that's a weight off my shoulder.

i guess i'm just lazy and bad at math! Woohoo!

POOP FROM A BUTT

yGxvf.png
This discussion has been closed.