As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do you like dags? Let's talk about Dogs. I'm naming mine Jack McCoy

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    @squall good dog

love terriers

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Flay wrote: »
    I saw my neighbor whipping their puppy today after it got off the leash for a moment. These people should not be allowed to own pets.

We've called animal protection on them before when their previous dog lost a dangerous amount of weight after having puppies. She ended up getting taken away, but I'm just as concerned that she might get put down. It doesn't help that they and another family across the street both let their dogs run around on the street and refuse to get them desexed. ARGH.

This is awful. I'm a proponent of popping your dog on the backside every now and then (as in a light swat across the fanny with an open palm, it's more for the noise than the actual act of hitting them), but not beating your dog. There is a definite line, and anytime you describe what you're doing as whipping then you've crossed it. And, if you've done it right, you shouldn't need to pop your dog after a while - just raising your voice should be enough. It's not about physically hurting your dog, it's about letting him know he messed up and you're displeased.

besides, I like being able to be with my dog off the leash, and if you want your dog to not lose his shit when he gets off the leash, you need to kinda establish that early on when they're a puppy. Which means doing everything in your power to not make your dog excited or nervous when that leash comes off. Whipping your dog because it got off the leash does the exact opposite of that.

That person sounds like an awful pet owner. I'd feel terrible about seeing a dog get whipped, but a puppy? That's double wrong.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ack! Dog thread! Here be my beagle Samantha!

img2012050200020.jpg

BELLY RUBBINS!

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Since we're posting pictures of our puppies, the only good picture of Texas I have online:

iYhsR.jpg

This pic is almost a year old, though. This was taken during one of our first times going to play frisby golf - he was exhausted and went to chill out under a bush lol. Now he is a champion frisby golf handicap. He does everything in his power to make sure my score is as high as possible. He'll jump and catch a great throw, bringing me well over par, or, worse yet, his retriever instincts will kick in and he'll fetch the frisby and bring it back to me.

But considering it's frisby golf I don't mind too much.

• Options
    EclipsedPlanetEclipsedPlanet Registered User regular
    Squall wrote: »
    so many adorable pups in here

here is our pup, Pilot

when we got him in november
    wfYGt.jpg

more recent photos
    bPb8W.jpg

coolin he nuts off (this is how he lays/sits everywhere)
    ApR2FnzCEAA24Ct.jpg

still can't figure out riding in cars
    AnFrxRgCMAAvmET.jpg

OMG

• Options
    I've seriously spent like 2 hours of work time just leisurely going through this thread. 2 hours of work time that I really needed.

Fuck it, though. I love dogs so much. I want to hang out with every dog in this thread.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    That is the best method of riding in a car ever.

Also love whoever's hands those are being all, "Yeah I dunno."

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I have to take my cat to the vet on Wednesday. He's eating litter and his fur is falling out. Wonder what's up.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I have to take my cat to the vet on Wednesday. He's eating litter and his fur is falling out. Wonder what's up.

Probably him eating litter. He shouldn't eat litter.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    I've only had a cat, but my cousin has two dogs -- a pair of corgis.

They're pretty cool.

(large picture)
    426145_10101391163828419_8827457_67184028_358619450_n.jpg

Lola (with the different-colored eyes) and Lily.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Xehalus on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Jack McCoy is a great name for a dog

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    so my dog sired a puppy earlier in the year, and my wife went to the breeders' place yesterday to take some pictures of his 7.5 week old little girl:

DSC_0525.jpg
    DSC_0149.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg

sheltie supremacy

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    I saw a dag on the way to my english final
    it is an omen of good fortune

it was lying in some sand in the shade

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    bPb8W.jpg

This is just the best thing

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    420006_10150598001051905_547571904_9442785_1611471340_n.jpg
    Trample asleep in the office... so very cute!

397210_10150434569951905_547571904_8880538_2022845890_n.jpg
    He's such a big lap-dog.

• Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    It cracks me up how great Danes will just like jackknife their whole bodies to fit into a comfy space

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Ack! Dog thread! Here be my beagle Samantha!

img2012050200020.jpg

BELLY RUBBINS!

omg beagles

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    finished the final an hour early

thank you dag fortune

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    RIAD1.png

dags? what about cats?

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    There are so many feral cats in south philly.

They range from "oh shit there's someone three blocks away I better run away," to "fuck you I'm not moving from this spot on the sidewalk you're gonna have to walk around me as I give you the death stare."

It's a very strange feeling you get, when you're walking toward an animal that refuses to back off or run away at your approach.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I took a delivery to a house tonight, and what greeted me was a mastiff that looked to weigh about as much as I do. I think it's head was about the size of mine too. Poor guy was shy, though, and backed off super quick when I lifted the bag out of his reach (shoulder level, but is there such a thing as out of reach with a mastiff?).

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    Trample can get stuff off the top of the fridge where my wife needs a step stool... so depending on how tall you are there may or may not be an out of reach. When he was younger he also hit his head on the ceiling jumping - I don't think that's a problem now that he's three but I wouldn't test it! Mastiffs are a bit heavier but that just means they knock stuff over better.

427587_10150526316656905_547571904_9222819_810360200_n.jpg
    Huskey / Golden Lab mix for scale...

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, I knew that if that Mastiff (french mastiff fwiw) meant business I was going to have to run a new order out to this house. And maybe run to my house for clean underwear.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

Probably him eating litter. He shouldn't eat litter.

Well, yes, but he just started doing it. Wednesday is the earliest I could get him in.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    My buddy has a photo on his wall of the dog he grew up with

Irish Wolf Hound. When it stood up it was too tall to fit through doors.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    My pug is already scratching at the door to be let out for poop/pee sessions. He is 6 weeks old.

Clearly we got the right dog.

Also, he is basically instant love. Anytime any sort of argument comes up in the house, you can just hold Hamlet up in front of them and they are not mad anymore.

This puppy is magic.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Pugs are pretty great

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Pugs are pretty great

I always thought they were ugly until I met my wife's dogs, and they kind of wormed into my heart the same way they worm into your lap and "subtly" get you to rub their tummy

• Options
    Happiness is a warm puppy.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Gonna name my next dog Agent Jack Bauer. Which would make more sense if I had ever seen an episode of 24 but eh

My parents own 2 German Shepherds. I'll see if I can get a photo of one of them from my phone onto here.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Gonna name my next dog Agent Jack Bauer. Which would make more sense if I had ever seen an episode of 24 but eh

My parents own 2 German Shepherds. I'll see if I can get a photo of one of them from my phone onto here.

The cat in Always Sunny is named Agent Jack Bauer. You don't want your dog sharing the name of some bitch-ass cat do you?

Go with Jason Bourne.

• Options
    Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    Flay wrote: »
    I saw my neighbor whipping their puppy today after it got off the leash for a moment. These people should not be allowed to own pets.

We've called animal protection on them before when their previous dog lost a dangerous amount of weight after having puppies. She ended up getting taken away, but I'm just as concerned that she might get put down. It doesn't help that they and another family across the street both let their dogs run around on the street and refuse to get them desexed. ARGH.

Do it, and keep calling animal control every time. While there is a chance that the dog will be put down, most shelters do their damndest to keep animals for as long as possible. Like you said, these people are not responsible pet owners and any dog in their care is better off at a shelter where there will be staff members looking out for it's best interests. In addition, spaying and neutering is mandatory in most shelters, so the dog will no longer be contributing to any overpopulation problems.

These neighbors of yours...were they selling the puppies? I've seen this kind of behaviour in people who own dogs for breeding and selling purposes. Not puppy mills, per se, but just callous and negligent treatment of the dogs in their care, trying to squeeze as much money out of them as possible.
    This is awful. I'm a proponent of popping your dog on the backside every now and then (as in a light swat across the fanny with an open palm, it's more for the noise than the actual act of hitting them), but not beating your dog. There is a definite line, and anytime you describe what you're doing as whipping then you've crossed it. And, if you've done it right, you shouldn't need to pop your dog after a while - just raising your voice should be enough. It's not about physically hurting your dog, it's about letting him know he messed up and you're displeased.

besides, I like being able to be with my dog off the leash, and if you want your dog to not lose his shit when he gets off the leash, you need to kinda establish that early on when they're a puppy. Which means doing everything in your power to not make your dog excited or nervous when that leash comes off. Whipping your dog because it got off the leash does the exact opposite of that.

That person sounds like an awful pet owner. I'd feel terrible about seeing a dog get whipped, but a puppy? That's double wrong.

I would consider even a light smack to be too much. It sends your dog the wrong message, and brings your interactions with the dog to a physical level where the dog obeys out of deference to your ability to hit it, rather than because it wants to please you. Positive reinforcement works much better than physical force to train a dog.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    If pugs didn't have health problems and also theirs fall out some times I would be all over owning a pug

as it is I settle for playing with every pug I see

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    pugs are ugly

but like, the cute kind of ugly

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    pugs are ugly

See, I used to think so too

But now I just think they're plain cute

cute-tiny-pug-puppy.jpg

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    pugs are ugly

pugly (short for 'pretty ugly')

• Options
    HammerHorrorHammerHorror Registered User regular
    Cheeto.
    Hey.
    Kitty.
    Quit being a dick.
    FoodThief3.jpg

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular