As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Discussions of Wil Wheaton's cardboard nerd-cred consolidated here.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I was a 1kyu AGA for a while... I am not anymore.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I had a Go set and tried to get a roommate playing at one point. We left the board out and played a few sessions, but eventually someone knocked the board over and we lost track of everything.

Part of the problem with getting Go... going... is that both players have to have the initiative to learn it a bit on their own. I don't think it's great for just trying to teach someone over your first session. They have to then feel driven to spend more time understanding strategy.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    FFG just announced a second card game for Android, even before Infiltration was released (I think).

This one is another re-branding, by the looks of it. Anyone know much about the original netrunner?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    admanb wrote: »

Oh, nice. I'm pretty sure I was near 5 kyu at one time, and I felt like I was still improving, but then I lost my copious amounts of free time when I got a "real" job, got married, got a kid (and we just discovered another on the way... woohoo!), and so on.

Maybe we should make a Kiseido "channel" and get some game on. A 20 to 30 minute time limit (for each player) would be plenty for good kyu-level games that don't take too long.

EDIT: Oh man, now I'm fantasizing about making an OP for a Go thread.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    FFG just announced a second card game for Android, even before Infiltration was released (I think).

This one is another re-branding, by the looks of it. Anyone know much about the original netrunner?

!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yes! At work atm so can't talk too much about it, but it's stlll the best CCG ever created.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

Oh, nice. I'm pretty sure I was near 5 kyu at one time, and I felt like I was still improving, but then I lost my copious amounts of free time when I got a "real" job, got married, got a kid (and we just discovered another on the way... woohoo!), and so on.

Maybe we should make a Kiseido "channel" and get some game on. A 20 to 30 minute time limit (for each player) would be plenty for good kyu-level games that don't take too long.

EDIT: Oh man, now I'm fantasizing about making an OP for a Go thread.

I have been interested in learning Go for quite some time now. I'd happily join in, assuming there'd be room for complete newbies, once I have more free time.

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    We should totally make our own Go club of bad online players. I have a set and some introductory books, but have never played regularly enough to gain any skill at it.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Sounds good to me.

Also, there's just under a day left on this, incase any of you were on the fence.

I am so jealous of you US types who can get the awesome canvas bag for reasonable prices.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yes! At work atm so can't talk too much about it, but it's stlll the best CCG ever created.

!! Better than....the Star Wars CCG !?

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I have heard very good things about netrunner.

In Puerto Rico news, today we learned the tie-breaker rules and that you shouldn't give Darian a break. Three of us all at 32 points to end the game, with doubloons (none of us had any left) plus goods (I had one more than SeGaTai) deciding it.
    Anyone up for another game on pr-game.com?

Darian on
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    I wouldnt mind giving it a shot but Ive never played before.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I'll sit this one out while I reflect on how I could have gotten this bad at the game suddenly.

• Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    Not to drag the Go stuff on more than it needs to, but I'm rather surprised everyone is saying it's hard to get into. I always filed it under the epitome of 'easy to learn, hard to master.' I can teach the basic rules of the game in literally minutes, but somehow it's one of the most complicated strategy games out there. That's pretty neat design.

• Options
    edited May 2012

!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get to play Netrunner, but yeah, a lot of people viewed it as one of the best CCG's ever.
    Trynant wrote: »
    Not to drag the Go stuff on more than it needs to, but I'm rather surprised everyone is saying it's hard to get into. I always filed it under the epitome of 'easy to learn, hard to master.' I can teach the basic rules of the game in literally minutes, but somehow it's one of the most complicated strategy games out there. That's pretty neat design.

Easy to learn, hard to master can mean different things in different games. Is it easy to learn the basic rules that allow you to play without breaking the rules? Yes. Is it easy to learn enough about the game to feel like you're being effective and enjoying yourself? Eh... Not sure about that.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I think the problem with Go is that you can teach it in 5 minutes sure. Then you will proceed to conquer the entire board, not leaving even a scrap for your new opponent. The sheer visual gulf between success and failure for the newbie is completely demoralizing.

• Options
    Which is why I like to teach people on a small board with a large handicap (start them on a 9x9 board with 9 stones against me). Or better yet, teach the first-capture variant first, to get a feel for the mechanics, then move on to the full game after they are comfortable with it and realize how much easier it is to defend than to attack.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

!!!!!!!!!!!

Net Runner was a CCG who's base set was literally too good. That's pretty much the only thing that killed it, everyone bought as many cards as they needed - literaly a randomised double starter gave a good, enojyable game - found they had a fairly uniquely satisfying asymmetric game and went "There's nothing that can be added to this to make it better" so sales tanked.

It is unspeakably suitable for a LCG release. I cannot contain my excitement.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    All the good board game shit seems to be on the iPhone but not Android. Vexing.

• Options

It's definitely super frustrating, but iPhones have better app support across the board. The benefit to us Android users is that more of the standard, functional apps are free rather than $2, but saving $25 and missing out on hundreds of apps hasn't been a trade-off I've loved so far.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

It's definitely super frustrating, but iPhones have better app support across the board. The benefit to us Android users is that more of the standard, functional apps are free rather than $2, but saving $25 and missing out on hundreds of apps hasn't been a trade-off I've loved so far.

You should try WP7. Games and apps are a joke, but it's the best phone I've ever owned. Never had a single regret.

• Options

You should try WP7. Games and apps are a joke, but it's the best phone I've ever owned. Never had a single regret.

What? That's moving in exactly the opposite direction from what I'm being wistful over.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Namrok wrote: »
    I think the problem with Go is that you can teach it in 5 minutes sure. Then you will proceed to conquer the entire board, not leaving even a scrap for your new opponent. The sheer visual gulf between success and failure for the newbie is completely demoralizing.

This is a good point. You can handicap it amazingly well up to a point, but anything more than 4 stones is probably a teaching game under the surface.

But that brings up another point -- I think that the 13x13 board is a great "club version" of the game, and shouldn't be snubbed. You can just play and focus on corners and have fun with Go. It's much more in the spirit of this boardgame thread, to be honest. You could have a 15-20 min limit for each player and it would still feel quite satisfying. And since the strategy is less, you smooth out the demoralization and the gulf in ability, also making it a bit easier to handicap. It might be a good fit for a group of varying ability (including newcomers) like ours.

The Go "purists" might say that you're not playing the "real" game, but I say that's arbitrary. If somebody catches the "bug" and wants to "Go deeper" (ha ha), there are some people here and a LOT of people online to play 19x19 with.

By the way, I'm not saying this as somebody who has played a lot of 13x13 games, but my perspective has changed since getting into boardgames last year. If you aren't planning on making Go a lifestyle choice -- if you just want to play a great abstract classic -- then choose the version that makes sense.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I loved Netrunner, and Richard Garfield has been hinting something might happen with it.

Yay!

Not that I like LCGs, but I might make an exception for that one.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options

What? That's moving in exactly the opposite direction from what I'm being wistful over.

I was saying this tongue in cheek. It really is, sadly, about the weakest part of WP7. I just don't care because I like my phone for its ability to be a phone, not a gaming device. =P

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    When it comes to stone-placing games, I'm particularly partial to Pente.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Looking for up to three more players for our next game of Puerto Rico, in which @Mr. Mojo Risin learns to play. Any takers?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    When it comes to stone-placing games, I'm particularly partial to Pente.

pente is like babby's first Go, though.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Holy shit did I just have an amazing night of Commands and Colors. Played the 7th and 8th battles from the base game. In Cannea I played the historical losers, Rome, although the scenario was rather balanced troop wise. Rome did have fewer command cards however. Somehow I managed to squeak a victory out of it with only a one flag difference. It was an extremely close game.

Next at Dertosa, I switched over to Carthage, the historic losers. I was expecting a complete route. Nothing but auxilia up front. Extremely weak left flank. All against roman mediums and heavies. Yet somehow, once again I scraped enough victory banners together without giving up all of my own. It was another one point game. At the end the last 4 turns were just praying the other guy didn't have the right cards or the right dice to score that last kill. All my auxilia had been pushed back against the edge of the board. My slings and light cavalry would have been killed with even a single flag rolled. But somehow I lucked out and was able to take my single commander with a heavy infantry all the way to the roman base line and clean house with a few fearless auxilia!

We definitely kept certain rules in mind this time. Like we forgot elephants ignore all swords. Or that leaders attached to infantry get a bonus combat! That one turned out to be pivotal for both of us when it came to mopping up stragglers. I've definitely gotten better about accepting the dice results, although it hasn't been hard with all the winning I've been doing. I'm actually hoping I lose soon. Because I feel pretty remorseful at what a bad sport I was at first.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Epic Spell Wars is a great game to play while drinking heavily.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Darian wrote: »
    Looking for up to three more players for our next game of Puerto Rico, in which @Mr. Mojo Risin learns to play. Any takers?

Okay, I think I joined?

I've never played online before.

Or with you guy before. I have played the real game. But I really have no idea how this website works.

Like I said, I think I joined the game.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular

If you've got room for one more I'm game. Unfortunately, though I've played a good amount of the real game this would be my first time playing Puerto Rico on a digital interface.

• Options
    Yep, one more slot for a full game of five. The website is a bit clunky, as stated, and there is no undo button so be careful when you click on things.
    If you're having any trouble with the interface there, PM me here and I'll see what I can do for you.

• Options
    Registered for the PR game.

• Options
    Trynant wrote: »

If you've got room for one more I'm game. Unfortunately, though I've played a good amount of the real game this would be my first time playing Puerto Rico on a digital interface.

Darkewolfe just snagged the last slot for game 35, so I'm starting up another game and have invited you (assuming you've registered there with the same name). So now we've got up to three more slots open in "Critical Failures 36", with the usual password of "wang".

And we just need @Mr. Mojo Risin to confirm in order to start up game 35.

• Options
    Oh, whoops. Sorry. I'd thought you had everyone in the thread and needed one more. My bad at reading comprehension. Want me to bail out of that game and let Tyrnant in?

• Options
    Nah, we'll make more. Worst case scenario I'll play him 2p head to head.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    VIRGIN QUEEN is out from GMT. The follow-up, historically, to HERE I STAND, using the same game system. This time it's the French, rather than the Hapsburgs, playing GO against the Protestants.

• Options
    Yeah. I'm still waiting on my copy (along with 1989). I'm not sure anyone else picked it up, but every time GMT arose, more people placed more P500 orders.
    At the beginning of this month I finally caved and put in on Wild Blue Yonder. The map was so God damned beautiful for Red Winter I almost put in for that too. In fact, I should stop talking about it now before I go spend more money ...

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I would love to get either Virgin Queen or Here I Stand but I know I'll never get them to the table. We have to schedule like months in advance just to play AGOT or Rex. Sometimes I miss law school, it was super easy to get 6 cutthroat assholes in one room then.

Still waiting on the shipping notification for 1989 as well. 2 cutthroat assholes in one room is still an easy do.

And now I've P500'd Red Winter so... thanks for that.

Bear is Driving on
  • Options
    Yeah, looking at the $35 price tag again I'm feeling pretty susceptible to ordering it myself ...

As for the shipping, while GMT has been good to me in the past about shipping alerts, I've heard they're often notorious for them, and people frequently have orders arrive before the order status shows it's been processed. There's a chance that our games might already be in the mail, Bear, so, really, you never know. It might stealth-arrive on your doorstep next week.

With regards to the playability factor of VQ, I agree and am in a similar boat. However I'm determined. I might have to hold onto it for a few years, sure, but I know some day I'll get a few of us together to pull it out.