As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh another note about PvP. The game has a multitude of "Channels" in it. Basically identical versions of each zone in order to allow people to choose less populated areas to quests in and to help avoid bottlenecking on named mobs. Because of this Channel 1 is your highest pop channel and most of the pvp action happens in there. It's hard to level a new character in channel 1, however it is also hard to gank someone without being ganged up on in channel 1.

It messes with GvG a bit too because what happens is large forces will arrive at a battle on one channel, then all swap over to catch the enemy unawares. It also forces your forces (heh) to scout out the enemy and to constantly update your army with information about their position and movements (A very cool thing btw)

*Edit* Oh I forgot to add there is character collision in this game. So if you set up big ass lancers int he front in a line, it is very difficult for the enemy to get through them into your ranged casters. Which leads to epic battles where both sides clash against eachother and struggle to push the other side back and break their line.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2012
    I approve of shield lines!

How viable is it for a Zerker to join a shield line?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I approve of shield lines!

How viable is it for a Zerker to join a shield line?

They can but typically the Block amount on an axe is much lower than an equivalent Lance.

in GVG Zerkers typically are the second line protect people from charging the line and taking out the healers.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So after failing to get a group in /area chat for a while, I took my chances in LFG for SM. First thing they say to me is "can mystics heal?"

Oi.

So the group goes on. Lancer can't hold aggro on anything, so the berserker and warrior proceed to facetank entire groups of mobs. Nobody moves out of bad glowing circles on the ground, ever. We have a couple deaths, but only one at a time. I try preparing for boss fights by dropping orbs that people gobble as soon as I put them down (my personal favorite is the lancer, who just eats ALL of the red orbs in succession).

After the second boss the lancer says "I have to leave" and proceeds to go offline (not dropping group, obviously). We go on with 4, and oddly enough it goes...better? It's like without the lancer people paid more attention to what they were doing. We down the final boss with zero issue, I get complimented on my healing, and I get a gold weapon and gold boots for my trouble. All told, not a bad morning in the end.

That said, still figuring out the whole healing thing. Not really sure when I should be dropping which orbs, when it's safe to run in to Titanic Wrath people, when I should be direct healing versus letting people grab orbs, etc. Pretty fun and hectic, though.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Red Orbs have a cleanse, so if people have purple health bars, drop em.

Don't run in and pewpew anyone. Stay out of range and just normal attack them. You just want to keep your threat level down. In dungeons healers are healers and aren't required to commit great amount of DPS. Though that big rock lookin pet thing that you Mystics get can be very useful.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So in the lore I read, it says that Castanics don't get horns until puberty, but in a loading screen (the one that used to say that Castanic males never stayed at home) it shows the mother holding an infant with horns.

• Options
    ChuckNorrisTypeRChuckNorrisTypeR Registered User regular
    Oh another note about PvP. The game has a multitude of "Channels" in it. Basically identical versions of each zone in order to allow people to choose less populated areas to quests in and to help avoid bottlenecking on named mobs. Because of this Channel 1 is your highest pop channel and most of the pvp action happens in there. It's hard to level a new character in channel 1, however it is also hard to gank someone without being ganged up on in channel 1.

It messes with GvG a bit too because what happens is large forces will arrive at a battle on one channel, then all swap over to catch the enemy unawares. It also forces your forces (heh) to scout out the enemy and to constantly update your army with information about their position and movements (A very cool thing btw)

*Edit* Oh I forgot to add there is character collision in this game. So if you set up big ass lancers int he front in a line, it is very difficult for the enemy to get through them into your ranged casters. Which leads to epic battles where both sides clash against eachother and struggle to push the other side back and break their line.

You and that damn pony are really making it hard for me to not blow all my money on this game. Though I just don't think I can justify buying something like this like 9 days before Diablo 3 comes out. After I've been over there for a while though, we shall see. If I end up back in any MMO before GW2 I think it will be this one.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So after failing to get a group in /area chat for a while, I took my chances in LFG for SM. First thing they say to me is "can mystics heal?"

Oi.

So the group goes on. Lancer can't hold aggro on anything, so the berserker and warrior proceed to facetank entire groups of mobs. Nobody moves out of bad glowing circles on the ground, ever. We have a couple deaths, but only one at a time. I try preparing for boss fights by dropping orbs that people gobble as soon as I put them down (my personal favorite is the lancer, who just eats ALL of the red orbs in succession).

After the second boss the lancer says "I have to leave" and proceeds to go offline (not dropping group, obviously). We go on with 4, and oddly enough it goes...better? It's like without the lancer people paid more attention to what they were doing. We down the final boss with zero issue, I get complimented on my healing, and I get a gold weapon and gold boots for my trouble. All told, not a bad morning in the end.

That said, still figuring out the whole healing thing. Not really sure when I should be dropping which orbs, when it's safe to run in to Titanic Wrath people, when I should be direct healing versus letting people grab orbs, etc. Pretty fun and hectic, though.

I'll try to answer your last set of questions here.

You should never be not dropping balls if it's a fight you're not comfortable with. try to leave more mana orbs than health for the dps and it tends to make fights go that much quicker if they don't have to resort to autoattacking to regen mana. You probably noticed yourself having mana issues at points but you should be using mana infusion on cooldown anyway.

As for Titanic wrath, only do it if you feel safe doing it. I never do it in a pug except before the pull or if a boss gets knocked down. If you have spare glyph points at later levels you might want to take the radius extending and duration glyphs. But since this is a situational spell to begin with I wouldn't recommend it.

The thing I saw happening is people saw the summons and the poison dot and thought we were some kind of hybrid healer/dps. haha no. We are a support/healer hybrid. And the first question I ask when zoning into a pug instance is "Have you ever run with a mystic healer before?" If any of them answer no, take the time to explain what it is you do, how you heal and what's expected of them. Don't ever feel uncomfortable doing this. It helps every one in the long run. Explain that your lockon heal is mainly for the tank and large damage spikes, and that they are expected to help you out by stepping out of combat and grabbing a skittle.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Don't run in and pewpew anyone. Stay out of range and just normal attack them. You just want to keep your threat level down. In dungeons healers are healers and aren't required to commit great amount of DPS. Though that big rock lookin pet thing that you Mystics get can be very useful.

I'm aware of the mechanics, I really meant more of the subtleties and timing of things :)

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options

I'm aware of the mechanics, I really meant more of the subtleties and timing of things :)

Oh well, having never played a Mystic, I am not qualified to make those sorts of suggestions, but Beezel is and just did. :o

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    Well crap. A freak lightning strike killed my cable modem and fried my modem.

I guess this is a good excuse to finally upgrade everything.

• Options
    Hmm. I am thinking after looking things over, that my clothie alt will be a Mystic instead of a Priest.

I will work on leveling that one up and off of the Island of Dawn tonight when I get home.

Steam
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    is the rested exp number on the character screen broken for anyone else? it says 100% for one of my alts, but the exp isn't even full.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    I just thought the total amount of rested xp you can get isn't very much

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    so, zerkers, when fighting BAMs how the heck do you charge up powers when the mob is bouncing all over the place. (a'la the Boss in BoL??) i ran it for the first time last night and i fell like i spend half the fight running after him, or winding up, only to have him leap away

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Maguano wrote: »
    so, zerkers, when fighting BAMs how the heck do you charge up powers when the mob is bouncing all over the place. (a'la the Boss in BoL??) i ran it for the first time last night and i fell like i spend half the fight running after him, or winding up, only to have him leap away

Timing.

Learn to read the cues they give before they are going to move so you know not to charge up then.

Steam
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I have no idea what I'm doing with all these trade goods. I feel like I should unload them for cash, but prices are all over the place.

• Options
    The launch of an MMO is always nerve wracking for those who play the markets.

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Maguano wrote: »

This is why Berserker DPS can drop off later on. Eventually I believe you get a charge and at 60 you get an evasion skill that works while charging but even then, generally positioning and timing will be your number one issue. Knowing when mobs are going to start moving, and where they want to move to are crucial. If everything were a stationary fight, Zerkers would be #1 DPS in the game.

It's why they sometimes feel helpless in duels, but are like the Hulk in group PvP. When there's chaos and people are stunned or lose track of you, that's your chance to instagib someone.

Jibba on
  • Options
    So how much gold is everyone rolling around with?

I am at 200g at lvl 40.

Steam
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    So how much gold is everyone rolling around with?

I am at 200g at lvl 40.

15g at 43. i'm a spendthrift tho, i respec a lot just to try things out

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think I have 70g at 33. hopefully an orange I picked up will sell, that would bump me up a bit.

Jars on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I have 750g at 46.

• Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    250g at lvl 44. If I sold my crap instead of using them to enchant I'd have alot more. But I figured by the time I get to lvl cap, gold from doing stuff will come alot faster anyway.

• Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    59 - about 4k. Sold a few golds from the 48-58 dungeons but most of it was from leveling and npcing it all.

• Options
    My life should be a meme.

I go into Flamestop to preorder Diablo 3.

I walk out with this.

BBHzh.jpg

FML. Installing.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    One of Us! One of Us!

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Reminder to those giving out the 7 day friend passes, due to rather weird design decisions:
    -you cannot invite pass players into your party, they can only invite you into theirs
    -they cannot add you as a friend, you have to add them (which then also adds you to their friends list)

There was an annoyed 30 minutes of trying to work around the inability to invite a friend of mine to a party before we tried it the other way around. Because it seemed like the wrong way to lock it.
    Oh, and there's no trading for them in any shape or form, but that's to be expected.

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    I'd love one of those friends invites if they're floating around.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Like every MMO name I've ever used isn't acceptable >< Not sure if that says more about the game or about me.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    Bought this because a friend wanted to MMO. My account says it expires in 1 day -- is that right? Did I mess up with adding the game and it didn't give me 30 days?

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Bought this because a friend wanted to MMO. My account says it expires in 1 day -- is that right? Did I mess up with adding the game and it didn't give me 30 days?

This is a fairly common issue they've been having

I'd try calling their support or waiting in livechat queue

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Kaseius wrote: »

Don't worry about it unless it actually expires. It's like a temporary state your account gets put into before your 30 days begins.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    interrobang on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Ignoring the Elins, that's still a 2MB gif and should be linked.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Ignoring the Elins, that's still a 2MB gif and should be linked.

word

fixed it

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Earlier tonight, I had one of the best MMO experiences I've ever had, ranking with the best of WoW's top fights and the open PvP from it and other games like L2. Only this was in lower level content, with an unorganized group of randoms.

I was in a full group doing BAM quests in the snowy region (whatever it's called) and a world boss dragon spawned, in between the sets of BAM Nagas and Hydralisks. If you haven't fought dragons in this game yet, they like to fly and shoot lots of fireballs and hop around. They're certainly not an AoE nightmare like the Hydras can be, but you cannot keep them in one place. Containing it was obviously our biggest challenge given the mobs around us, and we failed at it horribly. :3

Even without Vent/TS, everyone kept watch of where the BAMs were patrolling and typed to each other, and our tank tried their best to pull the dragon back and forth behind the passing pats. Despite their best efforts, we had a Naga spawn on top of us and there was no other choice but to kill 2 BAMs at once. The nice thing about mobs in this game is that they can actually do damage to each other. During the brief periods when we actually had control, we'd pull the 2 mobs near each other so their own attacks would damage the other. The two warriors were good with our dodges, but I honestly have no idea how our lancer managed to hold blocks against both of them at the same time. One, two, three Nagas total had to be killed this way, and still everyone was up and the damage controlled.

Unfortunately, world spawns have a ridiculous amount of hp and after 5-10 minutes, it was still at only 75%. Alas, we didn't manage to kill it because we accidentally leashed it several times while trying to find a new position, but I have to say that the dancing between pats and killing multiple BAMs at once was one of the most exhilarating moments I've had in an MMO. And this is coming from a former US Horde #1 raider. I just love that so many mobs in this game actually have a solid and unique AI, and that you can dance around them untouched with enough practice.

Forget MMOs, I think TERA has some of the best combat of any action game, period.

• Options
    Made it to lvl 7 tonight and hopped into a pretty sweet noob guild on the PVP server. Gonna shoot for mount and low level pvp content tomorrow. So far I have only rolled a Lancer but I'm really digging the combat and the game thus far. Feels like such a breath of fresh air breaking out of the EQ clone way of punching people.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I am enjoying the game, but the Island of Dawn is one of the most boring newbie areas I've ever been in. Kill 5 of these, now 5 of these, now 5 of the same ones as before with a different model.

But once you get to Velika, yeah, that's a lot better.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So, message for the folks in the guild and those who may be lurking before this gets too out of hand.

I'm not going to mention names just yet, A couple of you know already, but a name keeps popping up on my radar about being less than pleasant to interact with in-game and kind of a dick in general so I'm going to put it out there and say to this person "Knock it off." I've already warned against this once. If you have a problem to that degree with your guild members particularly their complaints, then you probably need to remove yourself from the guild. Barring that, if this sort of behavior continues I'm going to have to expedite your removal. Unprovoked nastiness to your fellow Nice Guy isn't going to be tolerated on any level.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
This discussion has been closed.