As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dead Space 3] In space only your partner can hear you scream...

Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Games and Technology
Dead Space 3!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/09/dead-space-3-allegedly-features-co-op

It supposedly takes place on an ice planet, taking inspiration from The Thing and has co-op. I'm not sure how I feel about the co-op. It was fun in RE5 playing with a live player, but I felt it really took away from the "horror" side of things. Dead Space seems like the last bastion of AAA survival horror, so I hope the co-op is completely optional and not forced ala RE5.

Isaac has become a nimble Necromorph slayer in the timespan between the last game and this one. He can now duck and roll which should come in handy because Isaac will now be facing off against human soldiers that are turning necro. Also, his arsenal has gotten another upgrade. The Plasma Cutter will now have a knockback alternate blast instead of a horiztonal/vertical switch. The Pulse Rifle has aped the Plasma Saw and has sawblades as it's alt-fire.

Overall, it seems like Dead Space is going in a very Resident Evil 5 direction, which I'm not sure I like. I really didn't enjoy RE5 that much and thought zombies with guns was the stupidest shit ever. I have faith in Visceral, but none in EA. If they have gotten their sticky fingers too deep into this franchise, it might be game over for survival horror. Despite my personal dissatisfaction it sold like hotcakes. EA might be looking at it's rival series and telling Visceral they need to do what Capcom is doing... which is a horrifying thought in and of itself. Here's hoping Dead Space doesn't jump the shark the way Resident Evil did.

I'll update the format of the OP as more information becomes available.

steam_sig.png
Ragnar Dragonfyre on

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    co-op is fine, but it should force you to play by yourself the first time

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I hope they really go for a more subtle horror this time around, 'shock value' horror like dead space 2 was just not...scary, really. RAWQFESFS I AM IN YOUR FACE WITHIN THE FIRST FEW MINUTES RAWRFLE ARE YOU SCARED YET?!?!?!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Co-op...so if true I'm guessing an Issac/Ellie teamup?

Also...seems to me that, from what I saw of Dead Space 2, they're going the RE route of action game with survival horror elements thrown in, instead of vice versa.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

the link he posted has some speculation on it

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Isaac has become a nimble Necromorph slayer in the timespan between the last game and this one. He can now duck and roll which should come in handy because Isaac will now be facing off against human soldiers that are turning necro. Also, his arsenal has gotten another upgrade. The Plasma Cutter will now have a knockback alternate blast instead of a horiztonal/vertical switch. The Pulse Rifle has aped the Plasma Saw and has sawblades as it's alt-fire.

Besides the ability to duck and roll, I don't like anything in this paragraph. I warmed up to DS2 replacing the "OH SHIT" Pulse Rifle alt fire from DS1 with grenades, but The Ripper is its own weapon!

Also, Im ok with co-op as long as its some kind of separate horde mode or something.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    The plasma cutter change sounds stupid as hell. I thought the whole point of having to swap axis' was to being able slow the necro's progress towards you by taking out their limbs selectively, not just blast away and have it knock them back instead.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Bookmark this post for when the game launches.

Isaac Clarke's co-op partner is not real.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

the link he posted has some speculation on it

Meh. It's all rumor right now anyway. So I'm not going to put too much into it.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Dead Space 3? Let me go ahead and set aside $60. EA, you can have it when you feel like releasing the final product.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I wanted Dead Space 2 to have co-op. Me and my cousin had a lot of fun with Resident Evil 5, but it wasn't really scary.

But then again, with co-op it might not be as scary. Conflicted.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    Dead Space 2 was very much like BioShock. And BioShock was essentially a remake of System Shock 2. Which was a sequel to System Shock 1. And Dead Space 1 was very much like System Shock 1. So if we want to speculate on what Dead Space 3 will be like, I guess we look at whatever Irrational is doing next.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Bookmark this post for when the game launches.

Isaac Clarke's co-op partner is not real.

Mind blown.
    Head_explodes.gif
    The plasma cutter change sounds stupid as hell. I thought the whole point of having to swap axis' was to being able slow the necro's progress towards you by taking out their limbs selectively, not just blast away and have it knock them back instead.

Y'know... I thought that too at first. But then I thought about how I actually play the game. I rarely, if ever, took the Plasma Cutter out of horizontal mode. I'd always cut their legs off first to slow their progress, then take off the head or the blades that come out of their shoulders. If the Plasma Cutter is horizontal by default, then this change is a huge buff in my eyes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dead Space 2 was very much like BioShock
    i... disagree?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Isaac's been through a lot. If he was still as combat effective as he was in the first two then it'd hardly represent growth.

Besides,
    He stuck a needle in his eye...

That's like 5 levels of badass right there.

Plasma cutter change sounds kind of meh. But I'd like to know a little more about it before judging. I'm guessing that the game won't focus as much on "strategic dismemberment".

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Dead Space 2 was very much like BioShock
    i... disagree?

It's structure was incredibly similar. Isolated city, sealed from the outside. Linear levels that encompass different areas of the city - a church, a daycare, a shopping mall etc. An overbearing administrative voice that provides a face for the city (Tiedemann/Ryan), with all the trappings of a world in decline. The Sprawl is introduced from the beginning as a backwater, with nothing left to contribute, run by a maniacal, all powerful ruler who is messing about with science he doesn't understand nor can control. No to mention, the little details and the mise en scene seem almost carbon copies at certain points - such as the audio logs, the Unitologist/Saturnalia similarities, and the protagonist himself, replete with a similar 'it was all destiny' twist ending.

I'm not saying it's the same, but it's drawing heavily on a lot of design elements. Perhaps it is better to say they are both drawing from a shared pool of genre tropes?

• Options
    i'll just say they are both 'games' and that covers most of the similarities

you're not wrong, but i can do the same comparison with a few games a draw similar conclusions... wouldn't really mean anything

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

If so, I hope they're just entering the newlywed-y phase of their relationship when they land on the planet.

Just being really sweet to each other, creeping the hell out of any other survivors.

• Options
    i'll just say they are both 'games' and that covers most of the similarities

you're not wrong, but i can do the same comparison with a few games a draw similar conclusions... wouldn't really mean anything

Certainly in a vacuum their similarities are meaningless, but in the context of the cloud of similarities over the other games I mentioned, it's enough at the very least to warrant commentary. Dead Space 1 was very similar to System Shock 2, down to some levels having exactly the same name. Of course, that's like two platformers having a 'desert' level and a 'jungle' level, certain genres attract certain, inescapable creative conclusions. But as a whole, it's fair to say Dead Space, as a series, is influenced a lot by the defining games in the genre.

And especially after the Visceral team was gutted after DS2, one can totally imagine a world where DS3 is incredibly derivative and betrays the series by cribbing from other genre leaders.

I'm just speculating, not condemning.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Why the fuck would they gut Visceral after DS2

DS2 was an incredible game and sold well

• Options
    It wasn't so much gutted, as they started spreading the talent around. Visceral is literally in EA HQ, they divided people up to shore up other, shittier projects. Kinda like how BioWare sent all their talent to help make TOR not crap, at the expense of their other games.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Gimme a moment I'll find the joystiq writeup.

edit: Ok I can't find the joystiq writeup. So assume for the moment I'm being dumb and misremembering something.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    ughh human enemies with guns, definitely a RE5 vibe and in my case that certainly isn't a good thing because that game sucked.

A co-op option I welcome, so long as the single player isn't tainted by an AI partner forced on you. With a DS fps already confirmed for development you would hope DS2 would stay faithful to the original formula, but I get the feeling they're going to use it to test the water for the FPS and multiplayer.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Why the fuck would they gut Visceral after DS2

DS2 was an incredible game and sold well

It sold about 3 million but EA wanted 4-5 million. If DS3 doesn't hit 4 million you can probably say goodbye to the franchise as it is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Co-op for the whole game, or a separate co-op campaign?

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    But...DS2 spoilers:
    it isn't exactly unexpected? I figured it would happen what with Unitologists looking for Isaac's Marker know how.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    As long as they don't force a crappy AI co-op partner on you when playing solo, I'm ok with it. Co-op does not automatically mean "not scary" anymore. It CAN be done, especially with separation and isolation mechanics.

Though now that we're into the third game, having Isaac become more and more of a badass Necro hunter is getting a bit absurd.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I loves me some Dead Space but if they force co-op and go all gung ho action like RE5, forget it. The series will be dead to me.

Dead space to me! *buh-dum-pish*

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Good to hear Isaac is going to be badass in this. I mean, he really should be a bitchin' Necrombobonimbusmorph hunter.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    It's possible this is the default loadout for the weapon, but it could also point to customization weapon combinations within the new workbench.

Oh, okay. That's keen. I'm all right with being able to combine weapons and such.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    As long as they don't force a crappy AI co-op partner on you when playing solo, I'm ok with it. Co-op does not automatically mean "not scary" anymore. It CAN be done, especially with separation and isolation mechanics.

Yeah, this. I want to be alone (or mostly alone) in single-player, but I'd love some co-op specific levels.
    It's possible this is the default loadout for the weapon, but it could also point to customization weapon combinations within the new workbench.

Oh, okay. That's keen. I'm all right with being able to combine weapons and such.

That would be amazing! If I could combine a Contact Beam with a Force Gun...

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I hate to do the "extrapolate a whole opinion from small detail" but I'm less optimistic.

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Yeah, this. I want to be alone (or mostly alone) in single-player, but I'd love some co-op specific levels.

That would be amazing! If I could combine a Contact Beam with a Force Gun...

Combine the Flame Thrower with the Pulse Rifle!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Dead Space 3!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/09/dead-space-3-allegedly-features-co-op

It supposedly takes place on an ice planet, taking inspiration from The Thing and has co-op. I'm not sure how I feel about the co-op. It was fun in RE5 playing with a live player, but I felt it really took away from the "horror" side of things. Dead Space seems like the last bastion of AAA survival horror, so I hope the co-op is completely optional and not forced ala RE5.

Overall, it seems like Dead Space is going in a very Resident Evil 5 direction, which I'm not sure I like. I really didn't enjoy RE5 that much and thought zombies with guns was the stupidest shit ever. I have faith in Visceral, but none in EA. If they have gotten their sticky fingers too deep into this franchise, it might be game over for survival horror. Despite my personal dissatisfaction it sold like hotcakes. EA might be looking at it's rival series and telling Visceral they need to do what Capcom is doing... which is a horrifying thought in and of itself. Here's hoping Dead Space doesn't jump the shark the way Resident Evil did.

I'll update the format of the OP as more information becomes available.

Quoted from the link:

"Dead Space 3 will have drop-in, drop-out co-op, according to an IGN source's report. Isaac Clarke will, if players choose, fight alongside a man with a gnarly scar on his face, an engineering RIG of his own, and glowing red eyes peering from his helmet"

You can play solo.

The best way.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    dea3pace.png

I dunno if I really dig the new logo...

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Looks like it was made in MS paint. At least they didn't put a 3 in for an E.

Is that even a real screenshot? Looks like some fan made it by pasting a bunch of images from different sources together.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    SPACE DEAD

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    At least its not Dead Spac3... yet.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is... is that really something official? Their effort to make a 3 there comes across as trying way too hard.

Anyway, I enjoyed DS1&2, so I imagine I'll be in for 3 as well. Not a series I rush out to buy the moment it's available, but one good Steam sale a couple months after release and I'll line right up.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie, a lot of these changes sound pretty awful at least on first blush. Here's hoping it turns out good in the end.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    It's from the Game Informer article linked above.