As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Welcome back to Hell. Turn on Elective Mode. NO SPOILERS.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    Hi Diablo 3 thread!

I need your help. I haven't been keeping up with this game's development at all, and as such I know very little about it. However; for the last few days i've been torn between getting it because 'oooh shiny Blizz game!' and NOT getting it because of the price and how it's apparently pretty short?

So can you perhaps point me to somewhere that will explain what the hell this game is about and what I can expect to be able to do in this game that makes £40+ worth it?

Thanks a bunch.

I notice in your Steam you've got Torchlight and Borderlands. What was your opinion of those games?

I liked Torchlight alot, but the lack of multiplayer was the downside for Torchlight that killed it for me, and Borderlands came at a time when I was tired of FPS's so I didn't get into it at all.

However, I think they could have been excellent but 'wrong place wrong time'.

Then my opinion is that you should aggressively seek out someone's guest pass. I think you could find this to be a more refined Torchlight with MP.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    A couple of quick newbie questions, if I may.

1. Is there a way to zoom the camera in and out? I thought mouse wheel would do this, but no go.

2. Is there a way to add D3 friends from the tag using the Battlenet site? It would be easier than just alt-tabbing in and out of the game.

3. Are magical items the only kind of equipment that can be salvaged?

4. Do you really have to manually click each piece of loot to pick it up, without being able to walk over it like with gold (this is my only real complaint so far)?

5. How important are the numpad commands for multiplayer? I'm thinking of mapping the skills to them instead (easier to access).

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    LOL from the looks of it people are whining about lack of customization in this game... um this game has more customization options than D2 did just no talent point structure which by all accounts was very limited and cookie cutter anyway. I may want talent specing and the like in my MMOs but in Diablo I can live without it.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Hi Diablo 3 thread!

I need your help. I haven't been keeping up with this game's development at all, and as such I know very little about it. However; for the last few days i've been torn between getting it because 'oooh shiny Blizz game!' and NOT getting it because of the price and how it's apparently pretty short?

So can you perhaps point me to somewhere that will explain what the hell this game is about and what I can expect to be able to do in this game that makes £40+ worth it?

Thanks a bunch.

I notice in your Steam you've got Torchlight and Borderlands. What was your opinion of those games?

I liked Torchlight alot, but the lack of multiplayer was the downside for Torchlight that killed it for me, and Borderlands came at a time when I was tired of FPS's so I didn't get into it at all.

However, I think they could have been excellent but 'wrong place wrong time'.

Then my opinion is that you should aggressively seek out someone's guest pass. I think you could find this to be a more refined Torchlight with MP.

Ooo yeah, just noticed guest passes.

If anyone has one spare, then I'd be happy to make use of it.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So...how do I tell D3 I want to play on the Europe realm?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Huh, apparently there was some kind of downtime earlier in the day? But I was online pretty much from around 7 am to the downtime that started an hour or so ago.

It was just the login servers.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

1. Is there a way to zoom the camera in and out? I thought mouse wheel would do this, but no go.

2. Is there a way to add D3 friends from the tag using the Battlenet site? It would be easier than just alt-tabbing in and out of the game.

4. Do you really have to manually click each piece of loot to pick it up, without being able to walk over it like with gold (this is my only real complaint so far)?

5. How important are the numpad commands for multiplayer? I'm thinking of mapping the skills to them instead (easier to access).

1. Press Z in game.

2. Not sure. Don't think so though.

3. Yes, they changed it from every item because you could get too many materials and have an amazing excess of them.

4. Yes.

5. You use numpad commands to voice chat with specific phrases (Over here!, Help me!, Thanks!, etc...)

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I was so excited that I was able to get off work a bit early and would get home in time for the scheduled 1:30 PDT uptime, and then I found out it was a 3:30 PDT uptime instead and I was sad. I really want to start shooting things with a wizard, so hopefully they really mean 3:30 PDT.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Its a waste of time picking most of the white items up after a little while.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    1. Zoom is defaulted to 'z' on you keybind. And it is a fixed zoom distance.

2. Someone more knowledgeable than myself will have to answer this.

3. Magical, Legendary(Orange), Rare(Yellow), and Set(Green).

4. No autopickup and no nopickup. People who played earlier Diablos complain about the lack of this feature. Who knows if they'll put it in.

5. See 3.

Edit: nath'd.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Evil is down for maintenance.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Early on dual-wielding is more about attack speed than anything as having higher attack speed allows you to both generate hatred and spend hatred at a faster rate; which means you are killing things faster. Later on, as more abilities become available, dual-wielding is going to be advantageous for activating and maintaining proc-based character skills and abilities on weapons and armor that have ICDs (internal cool downs). Also, it's worth pointing out that as far equipping gems goes you're most likely going to want to equip increased critical damage or increased min/max damage as most of the other stats you can socket will get hit with diminishing returns on investment. Granted that is coming more from theorycrafting than anything but it's worth paying attention to.

Edit: Damn this thread moves fast. This was a response to someone on the last page asking about whether it's worth it to dual-wield.

thanks for responding! i asked the question

• Options
    edited May 2012
    If they add auto pickup I would be one of many to turn it off. It is useless in this game because even magical items sell for shit. You just pick them up to destruct. Auto pickup of gold was all that was needed.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Crafting does seem to suck up your gold, but it isn't crippling so far. I'm consistently 2 levels ahead.

The real thing to track in the future might be recipes, those things are apparently rare as fuck.

Also if anyone in the EU wants to either start Act II with a Wizard or do a fresh start, I just logged in, SanderJK#2438

I've stopped levelling my crafting, and am instead focussing on my shared stash - when the first tab is full, I'll go back to my crafting.

So far, my dropped loot has been better than the crafted stuff, so I might have been lucky - I think I made a lvl 15 quiver, and that's all so far.

Can't wait for the cash to drop in bigger piles, 10k to expand my stash by 2 rows takes a while to earn, and I think I've gone 3 so far.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    so um

what the hell is elective mode?

• Options
    Are Set items in D3 ?

I'm in Act 2 normal, and yellows are the highest drops I've had so far. I can't remember if I read that Sets are in or not...

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I just heard that they're going to have to wipe all the characters once the servers go back up. Any truth to this?
    Just kidding

No I don't.
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    Crafting at first seems too expensive, later on you'll get more gold and crafting materials and it will be worth it.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Well apparently you can just change your region to Europe and hop right in.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    The best part?

This will lead to the same problem we had at 3am; several million people all trying to log in at the exact same time.

Meh I just got home and haven't even been able to play yet. I'm sure there will still be issues, but i'll eventually get in and play, day one of months of playing.

Do I sound like I'm freaking out? I'm well aware that we'll probably be set for smooth sailing in a few days at worst.

But I did call this shit. Anyone who thought launch day of one of the biggest titles of the year was going to be flawless was being incredibly optimistic.

Guess I'll get Netflix rolling again. Seems I might spend less time knee deep in Sanctuary than I'd originally hoped for (but certainly not expected/anticipated).

You and me both, brother. Also, I would go so far as to say this is one of the most anticipated titles in the last decade. There does not exist feasible infrastructure you can build to handle this kind of load.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    So after getting up to about level 20 with my wizard today, here's the build I think I'm going to go with. It's focused on comboing Frost Nova + Comet for super bonus frost damage, and lets me use Ray of Frost as a free mana cost spell. Looks pretty awesome, and I think I'm gonna have fun with it.

Frost Wizard

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    thecatholicpriusthecatholicprius Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    because xbox 360 MW3 "servers" = Xbox 360 players hosting from their machine, works the same on the PC. And the dedicated servers (which you can't skill up weapons and perks on) were privately owned and hosted. Not even a legitimate comparison.

Im pretty sure I remember Reach and a couple COD games having a bunch of issues at launch as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Are Set items in D3 ?

I'm in Act 2 normal, and yellows are the highest drops I've had so far. I can't remember if I read that Sets are in or not...

Yes they are.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

The Z button will zoom, but this mode is really meant for inspecting your character, not actually playing like that.

Any item of Blue quality or better can be salvaged. Salvaging rarer items guarantees rarer salvage components, i.e. you have a small chance when salvaging a blue to get a yellow salvage component as well, but when salvaging a yellow you are guaranteed a yellow. Rare salvage materials are used to craft higher quality items, i.e. crafting a yellow hat requires yellow components.

Yes you have to click all the loot you want to pick up. If you are still picking up whites it might be helpful to mention that they sell for virtually nothing and you should really only bother ever picking up blue or better loot, which is a lot more managable.

The numpad commands are almost worthless and really are just a kind of throwback to the fact that they were in Diablo 2 (where they were also worthless). Their primary use is to spam numpad 6 in front of leoric and annoy the people you're playing with. They're just kind of a fun little feature, most people never use them.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

It's in the main menu options, can't remember the exact one offhand.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

On the login screen, go to options->account->change Americas to Europe.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Crafting does seem to suck up your gold, but it isn't crippling so far. I'm consistently 2 levels ahead.

The real thing to track in the future might be recipes, those things are apparently rare as fuck.

Also if anyone in the EU wants to either start Act II with a Wizard or do a fresh start, I just logged in, SanderJK#2438

I've stopped levelling my crafting, and am instead focussing on my shared stash - when the first tab is full, I'll go back to my crafting.

So far, my dropped loot has been better than the crafted stuff, so I might have been lucky - I think I made a lvl 15 quiver, and that's all so far.

Can't wait for the cash to drop in bigger piles, 10k to expand my stash by 2 rows takes a while to earn, and I think I've gone 3 so far.

I've had the opposite experience lootwise (halfway to level 10), I've actually got some crafted stuff in my stash waiting to get used when I hit level 10. Think I'll probably finish off level 1 of smithing and then expand the stash.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

Characters are region specific though, right?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    so um

it is where you can assign any skill to any button or hotkey. Instead of the pre-designated types only being able to be assigned to its key

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

Yes, they are.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Yes.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular

Correct. If you're dying to putz around though it's an option.

• Options

It's in the main menu options, can't remember the exact one offhand.

It's options/account.

• Options
    KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Correct i'm just using it to try out different classes (and I'll probably just keep him around for NA downtimes.)

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Apparently die hard Starcraft players + an rpg = some more korean kids dying at computer cafes.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Eh, playing the beta so many times has made me a bit reluctant to hop back into act 1 so soon again.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Yes sir.
    Joolander wrote: »
    so um

Elective mode is an option in the gameplay options, that makes it so you can put any skills you want in any slot.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Are Set items in D3 ?

Yes they are.

Excellent - I'll start keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm glad I've been focussing on my stash - if there are as many Sets as in D2, I'm going to need the space...

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Are Set items in D3 ?

Yes they are.

Excellent - I'll start keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm glad I've been focussing on my stash - if there are as many Sets as in D2, I'm going to need the space...

And it looks like you can craft sets as well. Booya for focusing on crafting!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    ben_bot wrote: »
    For all of Blizzards millions in revenue, you'd think they would have multiple data centers capable of handling this kind of load sprinkled around the country.

As has been mentioned numerous times: This is a monumental amount of demand and something they will not see again (until an expansion launches or something like that).

Analogy time: Today is Black Friday. Except worse, because this game isn't going to relaunch every year. The authentication server is the checkout line at Best Buy/Walmart/whatever. Should they have built 5 times the number of checkout lines in that store to account for the volume of shoppers on Black Friday? No, they survive the one bad day and they build based on more normal business levels (peak times like holidays and spring break, etc.)

You realize that they build enough lines specifically to handle Black Friday, right? That's why Walmart has, like, thirty registers, but only 5-10 open on any given weekend.

Yeah bullshit. Having worked for Wal-Mart specifically, Black Friday is not something built for in that manner.

This discussion has been closed.