As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    kitch wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Not enough High Fantasy. ;)

Actually, isn't BioWare doing a fantasy game, too? I remember hearing about it a while ago and then never again.

Dragon Age.

below I have typed everything we know about the game:

920668_20040518_screen003.jpg

Fixed.

What? What now? BG2 spiritual successor...

If this is to BG2 what Bioshock is to SS2... I will be the happiest person alive.

According to what little we know, it's supposed to be party-based, but during exploration, you'll have an over-the-shoulder view or a more "cinematic" camera, however, during combat, the camera zooms out to an isometric perspective for real-time/turn-based tactical party based combat.

It's not D&D this time around, though, not that that's wholly a bad thing.

I think they described the combat as being like when the Fellowship of the Ring fought the cave troll in the movie.

:winky:

Uhh...so you mean they described the combat as the best combat to ever be developed ever in any video game...ever?

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Actually, isn't BioWare doing a fantasy game, too? I remember hearing about it a while ago and then never again.

Dragon Age.

Fixed.

If this is to BG2 what Bioshock is to SS2... I will be the happiest person alive.

According to what little we know, it's supposed to be party-based, but during exploration, you'll have an over-the-shoulder view or a more "cinematic" camera, however, during combat, the camera zooms out to an isometric perspective for real-time/turn-based tactical party based combat.

I think they described the combat as being like when the Fellowship of the Ring fought the cave troll in the movie.

Uhh...so you mean they described the combat as the best combat to ever be developed ever in any video game...ever?

Yes but who doesn't describe their combat as such?

"Man, in our game, combat is like riding Thor's Chariot whilst wailing on an electric guitar made of lightning bolts and having sex with two Valkyries at once."

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Dragon Age.

Fixed.

"Man, in our game, combat is like riding Thor's Chariot whilst wailing on an electric guitar made of lightning bolts and having sex with two Valkyries at once."

I think they mean a hand-held camera style so shakey that you'd think the camera-man was having a seizure.

capable heart on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I think they mean a hand-held camera style so shakey that you'd think the camera-man was having a seizure.

riddick movie suffered from this way too much :(

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wren wrote: »

If that was your biggest problem with Chronicles of Riddick, then you are far more lenient than I am..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Dragon Age.

Fixed.

I'd buy that game too.

tofu on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    If they gave it a less generic interface.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »

If that was your biggest problem with Chronicles of Riddick, then you are far more lenient than I am..

I liked it other than the horrible shaky cam fight scenes.

he kills a motherfucker with a motherfucking tin cup.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am just wondering how long it takes to release the European version, if they have to translate it in all the different moon languages. (I hope Bioware takes the easy way out and uses subtitles instead of attempting a full translation)

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The EU version is subtitled and last time I checked comes out on the same day, simultaneous worldwide release.

When there is a time delay between US and EU releases, it often isnt the translation (which most of the time is done during development rather than after) it is the technical side of things. Europe uses PAL and while most modern tvs, hd or not, can do NTSC fine the majority of game sales will be played on SD PAL tvs. Its stupid, I know. but PAL does increase picture fidelity so I guess we get something out of it.

Just for the record: putting something on PAL from NTSC isnt simply flipping a switch in the code. It is pretty complex.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just for the record: putting something on PAL from NTSC isnt simply flipping a switch in the code. It is pretty complex.

This has always got me; why can PS2 mod chips do it very easily?

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »

This has always got me; why can PS2 mod chips do it very easily?

clever design from Sony. Playstation is more popular in europe than anywhere else, even japan (proportional to market size of course)

simultaneous worldwide releases are a good thing. sales improve considerably. this is something a lot of people are getting on board with. and by simultaneous we are talking within a week of each other. long gone are the days of 3 month wait for software. Microsoft is extremely good at this (most high profile 360 games have launched in europe same day as america.)

and sony is alao doing this, MGS4 nigh on coined the 'SIMULTANEOUS WORLDWIDE RELEASE' type banner from Kojima.

Nintendo is historically the worst at fuckign europe but they are definetly improving. id say all 3 camps have realised that europe is a valid market and worth their effort.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Dragon Age.

[IMG]http://xs119.xs.to/xs119/07382/920668_20040518_screen003.jpg[/IMG Fixed.][/img]

When is Dragon Age supposed to come out? Is there even a year planned?

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Clevinger wrote: »
    When is Dragon Age supposed to come out? Is there even a year planned?

I'm guessing about 2011, no joke. They've dedicated a massive portion of the company to pumping out the two Mass Effect sequels in 5 years. They will also be overseeing the development of their MMO project, their Sonic RPG and yet another Next Gen title. Apparently they had (in 2006) around 300 employees. Even with the recruiting drive that they're doing, I'd be surprised if they've broken 400. Those are a lot of projects to have going all at once.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This is how i see it for bioware:

2007: Mass effect
    2008: mass effect DLc and sonic RPG for DS.
    2009: kotor mmo
    2010: mass effect 2
    2011: dragon age

bioware is a big house and can make 3 high profile games at the same time, for sure. i think people underestimate how much weight bioware now wields in the industry.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    But they want to have all 3 Mass Effects on the 360. I don't think it'll be 2011 until the second one is released.

Also, did they ever talk about DLC? Never heard anything about it.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    See, the thing is that the engine and all that misc. crap is already set up. Apart from updating graphcs and adding new features, you should theoretically be able to write a story and plop the necessary characters and set pieces into the engine. It shouldnt' really take as long to create Mass Effect 2 as it did the first.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Especially since usually for a sequel they take the time to make a new engine for prettier graphics... how is that possible for Mass Effect?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    But they want to have all 3 Mass Effects on the 360. I don't think it'll be 2011 until the second one is released.

Also, did they ever talk about DLC? Never heard anything about it.

Yes. New planets, new storylines that add to the main one is what I've read.

devoir on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes, they're doing DLC, most likely in the form of extra star systems to explore. No more details on that really, though.

And it won't be another three years till ME2 comes out. Remember while they've worked on this game for about three years, that also included creating the combat system, physics, adapting the unreal engine, making the dialogue and digital acting system, getting the artstyle right, creating the setting...

All this they will not have to do. Probably a lot of improvements here and there, and I'm sure ME2 will be a lot more polished. But I'd hazard it'll probably come out first half 2009, maybe second half if some big delay crops up.

edit: Wow, I'm slow.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yep. 2009 for ME2 at the earliest.

Though we dont know how much assets are going to be cut from ME1 and used in ME2. It wont be starting from scratch like, say, Halo 2 to Halo 3. If all three games will use the same engine and come out on the same system we can probably expect a much quicker turnaround on the sequel. Especially if they have DLC in the works. The sales will be huge and the game will be good. I can see them really churning out this stuff. A trilogy of games, with DLC, is going to be ludircously popular. Like, system selling popular. I fully believe Bioware wants to position itself in the realms of Bungie or Epic type developer. Able to radically change the market and influence things on a large scale.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    And I bet Microsoft is hoping its little pants off that Bioware succeeds in that endeavor. :P

devoir on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I've been argueing with my friend about the importance of researching what the character classes in RPG's do exactly and I've stumbled on some sites that vaguely list abilities. For example:

Class description and starting/unlockable abilities.

There's very few unlockable abilities listed, does any one know how diverse the unlockable shit is? I'm afriad it might be somewhat limiting.

But it is Bioware, so I trust them.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    afaik it is incredibly diverse. each class has like 5 major talents, each talenthas 3 or 4 unlockable skills to use in battle. and some characters are custom classes not avaliable to the player, like wrex is a krogan battlemaster and has a whole bespoke set of skills, so too is garrus.

unlockable skills, abilities and character and class customisation is really down on my list of 'worries' for this game, if you see what i mean. what im saying is this is is bioware, i trust them too.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I mean, so far for biotics all the offensive stuff we've seen is throw right? That seems really bland.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I kind of want to use biotics but I loves me heavy weapons and hate the "whole body glows purple like Oblivion" look.

So I'll probably go one of the routes with fighting and the omnitool.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    I mean, so far for biotics all the offensive stuff we've seen is throw right? That seems really bland.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Off the top of my head, and I dont know the exact names:

Throw, which is kinda like force push

a shield, around you

a shield, manifested in mid air like a wall, or like the one in resistance

healing

confusion on the enemies

speed and strength

then there are a bunch of tech abilities, like disabling robots, overloading stuff, opening doors, repairing shit.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong.

a shield, around you

healing

confusion on the enemies

speed and strength

then there are a bunch of tech abilities, like disabling robots, overloading stuff, opening doors, repairing shit.

Well yeah that's my point, there's almost no direct damage abilities. It's like KOTOR without the dark side force powers, and that kinda sucks.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Um Is that Seth Greens voice in the new trailers?

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Prohass wrote: »

Yes. Confirmed by Bioware in fact.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong.

a shield, around you

healing

confusion on the enemies

speed and strength

Well yeah that's my point, there's almost no direct damage abilities. It's like KOTOR without the dark side force powers, and that kinda sucks.
    I would throw, well, Throw, under the banner of direct damage.

I mean, if you push them into a metal wall it's gonna do some damage.

According to the Dev's it's possible to even throw an enemy into space in some environments.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong.

a shield, around you

healing

confusion on the enemies

speed and strength

There's one I remember from the video that had a description that went something like "Causes enemy weapons to malfunction and overheat, disabling them and dealing minor damage", or something like that.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong.

a shield, around you

healing

confusion on the enemies

speed and strength

i think there are offensive 'powers' as opposed to guns but i cant remember if they are tech or biotics.

either way, bioware have said you can complete the whole game without firing a gun at all. so dont worry about being forced to be a barbarian if you wanna play the wizard.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

That is all kinds of awesome.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong.

a shield, around you

healing

confusion on the enemies

speed and strength

I would throw, well, Throw, under the banner of direct damage.

I mean, if you push them into a metal wall it's gonna do some damage.

According to the Dev's it's possible to even throw an enemy into space in some environments.

I said "almost", so far all we have is throw, and I can see that getting boring pretty fast.

I mean, if you describe the adept class as something like a mage, I'm going to expect a lot of fun offensive damage abilities. From what I've seen it looks more like a fucking paladin.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

There are more star voices not heard yet also, confirmed by same dude.

The entire firefly cast is in halo 3, by the way. if anyone cares. 2 so far confirmed (tudyk and fillion) and bungie said expect more to come.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

It also sounds like the guy who was Carth was Tech Guy #2.

But oh my god I haven't checked in on this game in quite a while (X06 I believe) and I see this trailer and...

sex.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    over at gaf they had a hilarious discussion where like 25 people all staunchly maintained that intro cutscene was CG then someone said 'they just created that fucking character 5 seconds ago, they arent doing a CG for every permutation of face'

was funny.

that intro to mass effect reminds me a LOT of the intros to bioshock and halo 3.

jaw on the floor serious what the holy fuck moments all three. awesome

(if anyone is interested, check the halo 3 thread for talk on that and the bioshock thread for the glory of that intro)

all 3 start with a bang it seems.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I realise I might be lttp, but

Omg boobies and sex.

I mean, great? Bad? Jack Thompson bait?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

There are more star voices not heard yet also, confirmed by same dude.

The entire firefly cast is in halo 3, by the way. if anyone cares. 2 so far confirmed (tudyk and fillion) and bungie said expect more to come.

Damn, why couldn't the Firefly cast have been in Mass Effect. If the cutscenes/story in Halo 3 are anything like the first two games I'll be skipping through most of them.

Food on
This discussion has been closed.