As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] 75% off Crusader Kings 2 means you REALLY need to get Crusader Kings 2

Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходныеAmerican ValhallaRegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Games and Technology
DNfgD.png

vmtdB.gif

NYkZ8.png
fzsT8.pngtErbf.png

steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

fzsT8.pngCoping with Steam: Artistic Commentary on Our Shared AfflictiontErbf.png
tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

steamthemall.jpg

steamdiscs.jpg

paydaycomic.jpg

steamgifting.jpg

neverfinish.jpg

coupons.jpg

fzsT8.pngMost Frequently Asked QuestionstErbf.png

1. Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?
2. Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it. You can also use this to add your own shortcuts with fake names to your Steam games list to make it look like you're playing Episode 3. Hilarious, right?

3. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
Not usually. You're welcome to ask in this thread, although if you Google it it'll probably be answered even faster. Valve games are typically the only packs that let you do this, and even then it sometimes doesn't work.

4. Why isn't {Insert Game Here} available in my horrible little corner of the earth?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game. This very thread is a great place to ask!

5. How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite. Just as a word of advice, we tend to prefer that you be a regular contributor to get an invite to the group. The rule of thumb is 6 months of activity on the forums. We are well known for our generosity, and like to make sure any new additions are here for the good of the community, and not to leech during sales. That said, we're a friendly group, so make yourself at home and start posting and you'll be there in no time!

fzsT8.pngSome Words on GiftingtErbf.png

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. This is not optional. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

Steam's new gifting features allow you to store up games in your gift bank when you purchase them, instead of having to email yourself the gift link. It'll be an option during checkout.

A few things to remember as a giftee:
1. Make it possible to track you from PA Forums to Steam. A link directly to your steam ID is usually the most convenient. Remember, your Steam ID is different than your steam name. If you just include text to your steam name, we have to search and scroll through 5 pages to find you (and we may not find you if you're not using the same name/avatar combo!).

2. Make it possible to track you from Steam to PA Forums. Best bet is using similar avatar/name. Understandably, some people don't want to do that. In that case, you should have "I'm ______ on Penny Arcade Forums!" in your profile blurb.

Generally speaking, if you're selected for a gift from a stranger on here it will be, usually, one of two ways:

You will either post in the thread (so they will go to your profile to friend you and then to the store to send a gift.
—or—
Someone will want to gift a certain game and go to the store page where you can see everyone who has it on their wishlist.

Also, remember that a gifter can see when you added a game to your wishlist. If you add it on the day of the sale, you might have a smaller chance of being gifted it than someone who has been interested in it since release. Gifters should also make sure they are identifiable from Steam to PA Forums. Some people are shy and are too nervous to message a gifter and say "hey thanks, I have no idea who you are on forums!"

fzsT8.pngAn Important Word on ConteststErbf.png

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.

fzsT8.pngHelpful StufftErbf.png

Steam Mover
Does your Steam library have 800 games? Do you wish you could move some of those games to different hard drives instead of deleting them entirely and then downloading them again when you want to play them? Steam Mover is here for you.

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not. Hint: you probably do.

Aussies
You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Also: Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

I've also been told you Aussies might want to try Angus Wolfcastle's SteamManager. Setting it up is easy is you follow the instructions here. If you find you're still being charged for your steam downloads, try changing the setting like in this link here.

fzsT8.pngCool Community Add-OnstErbf.png

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play? Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide! Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!" It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.

What's all this about serving "The Newell?"
It started with this comic:
steamregulator.jpg
And now it is our unofficial official motto.

And now, for your amusement, comic edits!
fpota.jpg
steamprayer.jpg
trainsj.jpg
contestvd.jpg

Oh, and remember:
RPSCB.jpg

//@HiT BiT made the crab because he is our God-King

Lord_Snot on

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Last chance:

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Yay new thread. So steam game night.

We should play older games or games that don't get enough love.

I vote for Unreal Tournament 2004.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    Mmmm New Thread Smell. Awesome Giveaways @DoctorArch. Thanks to @Buster Blade for F.3.A.R and probably other things I am forgetting that I may have already thanked him for. (I am terrible at remembering things these days)

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    We also have a fun group chat which you can join here.

steam://friends/joinchat/103582791429521528

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The unboxing of yet another classy Steam thread. So good. PROOF

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Wish I could join chat from phone, I can't remember my steam password to use the app and there is no forgot password feature on it...

Need a cool name for the PA STEAM game nights! UT2K4, haven't played that in ages!

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    It's entirely fitting that the first post on a new Steam thread is a giveaway. :)

I'd be up for a Unreal Tournament 2K4 night, I love that game so much.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote: »
    It's entirely fitting that the first post on a new Steam thread is a giveaway. :)

I'd be up for a Unreal Tournament 2K4 night, I love that game so much.

I will reinstall it RIGHT NOW if someone says this will happen.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I already have it installed.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    yeah UT2K4 is installed on mine too.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I don't know where my UT2k4 disc is anymore :/

As an aside, the complete CoH package looks interesting to me, but with D3 cresting the horizon I'm not sure if its worth dropping $10 for the whole package. How often does it go on sale?

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Steam thread 4? More like Steam thread 4,000 mirite...

Yeah.

I love the idea of a game night. But my schedule is fickle and uncooperative and sad. :(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I don't have UT2K4 on Steam, sadly, but I'd be more than willing to grab my disk copy if this was gonna happen.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    I love the idea of a game night. But my schedule is fickle and uncooperative and sad. :(

This is me too, sadly.

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    CoH is always worth it! Id be down for a CoH night. I also have no idea where my UT2K4 IS.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Steam thread 4? More like Steam thread 4,000 mirite...

Yeah.

It's a reboot of the franchise

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I don't have UT2K4 :( I have 3:Black

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    it doesn't have to be UT2K4, just pick something most people would have on steam. Like Sniper: Ghost Warrior!

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I posted this earlier, but I don't think anyone ever used it.
    8BK3A-NEEV0-HWRXW
    it's been in a couple bundles
    it's steel storm: burning retribution

ok, it's gone

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I've got my UT2K4 DVD close at hand. If we set up a night for it I'll throw down with y'all. Flak Cannons at dawn, and such.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    How about an Evening of the original Tribes since it's free and small.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    8BK3A-NEEV0-HWRXW

Well, someone definitely got it, because I tried claiming it just now and it was taken.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Last chance:

signature.png

Squeeeeeee*

* ancient squeaky-toy dialect for 'of course a doctor would be so classy'.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    8BK3A-NEEV0-HWRXW

i might have gotten it, but i am not sure if i already had it. i entered the code in, but the next window that popped up was in html code and had something like the already purchased has in it. but then it prompted me to install it . so not sure if i claimed it or already had it and it was like, here just install it

so i guess thanks?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Wasn't game night one of the thing that Adventure team was supposed to be about?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 comes out on Tuesday. I'm *totally* psyched.

Then I see that Skyrim is on sale this weekend. SKYRIM. Probably the only game that could disrupt my planned D3 obsession.

Damnit.

Must. Resist. The. Call. Of. The. Newell....

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Hmm probably the wrong place but does anyone want my promo code for origin? (70% off up to 3 games)

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    mts wrote: »
    8BK3A-NEEV0-HWRXW

i might have gotten it, but i am not sure if i already had it. i entered the code in, but the next window that popped up was in html code and had something like the already purchased has in it. but then it prompted me to install it . so not sure if i claimed it or already had it and it was like, here just install it

so i guess thanks?

if you already owned it, it didn't use up the code.

but yeah, steam has been having issues today. displaying the link to an error message instead of the error itself is one of the things.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Also, Classy Turret welcomes you to the New Steam Thread
    Jlb7t.jpg
    Activated. There you are.
    Q7Too.jpg

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Last chance:

signature.png

Squeeeeeee*

Congratulations, I sent you your key. Be sure to accept my friend request.

Also, @Kadoken won the Darksiders giveaway. Congratulations!

And I believe @Triple+B is PlatypusPizzaman, who won Costume Quest, but can he please message me to be sure.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Tally ho, new thread I say.

Xqe8N.jpg

This place always has the lion's share of class.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    AnakinOU wrote: »

Then I see that Skyrim is on sale this weekend. SKYRIM. Probably the only game that could disrupt my planned D3 obsession.

Damnit.

33% is a pretty lame sale. guess the waiting for me continues

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    AnakinOU wrote: »

Damnit.

33% is a pretty lame sale. guess the waiting for me continues
    Especially if you live in Australia and the normal price is like $90.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Which is just silly, because it's $50 retail now.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Anyone else having Steam act weird? Whenever I view a game, it tells me to log in to add it to my wishlist..even though I'm in the Steam Client.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    It's just down in general I think.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I guess I should finally buy Company of Heroes.

Are the xpacks worthwhile?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Last chance:

signature.png

Squeeeeeee*

Congratulations, I sent you your key. Be sure to accept my friend request.

Also, @Kadoken won the Darksiders giveaway. Congratulations!

And I believe @Triple+B is PlatypusPizzaman, who won Costume Quest, but can he please message me to be sure.

Extremely classy gentleman! I was thinking of adding some fanfare, perhaps a parade, maybe a song, but my mind is blank and the forum is having a seizure on my phone.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I guess I should finally buy Company of Heroes.

Are the xpacks worthwhile?
    If you want to play multiplayer, just buy Tales of Valor. If you want single player, CoH and OF are good, and Tales of Valor has a weird, different kind of campaign that you may or may not enjoy.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I wish the tank campaign was longer, it was fun in a MoW-but-not-as-difficult kinda way

steam_sig.png