Options

Anyone who is awesome is playing Go.

BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKSRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Social Entropy++
814646492_4e76c9b7ff.jpg

Go uses the most elemental materials and concepts -- line and circle, wood and stone, black and white -- combining them with simple rules to generate subtle strategies and complex tactics that stagger the imagination.
- Iwamoto Kaoru
Go is an ancient game that originated in China, with a definite history of over 3000 years, although there are historians who say that the game was invented more than 4000 years ago. Its name comes from the Japanese name Igo, which means "surrounding boardgame".

In this game, each player tries to exert more influence on territory than their opponent, using threats of death, capture, or isolation. Although at heart an abstract strategy game, Go has variously been said to be a symbolic representation of war, colonization, settling a frontier, capturing market share, having a debate or a lively discussion in a specialized language, and probably many other concrete situations. Go has always been one of the most played games in the world. Worldwide competitions can make a top player a millionaire.
Text from Sensei's Library, 'What is Go'.

KGS has a great tutorial for teaching new players the game, link here.

The very most basics are that two players take turns placing white and black stones on the intersecting points of a grid. The purpose is to surround territory. Each intersecting point is one point of territory. If you completely surround your opponent's stones on all sides, then you remove those stones, claim that territory, and keep those stones as 'prisoners'. The point of the game is not to capture stones, but capturing stones is a part pf the game.

We'll be playing internet go, on KGS.

To play a game on KGS, you sign in as a guest with a name you choose (you can figure out how to register your name if you'd like) and navigate over to the SE++ room by going to 'Rooms' -> 'Room List' -> 'New Rooms' and then scrolling down until you see one titled 'SE++'. (Sometimes the room is not showing up. You can either make your own, or just let someone know what rooms you can be found in if you want to play.)

To start a game, click on 'custom game' in the upper right corner, and then set your board size and give the game a name if you'd like.

I recommend starting out on 9x9 games because it is easier to learn on them, and you can finish a game in around/under 20 minutes. A full 19x19 game usually takes over an hour to complete, depending on how fast the players make each move.

When you have no more moves to make on the board, you hit 'pass', when both you and your opponent pass in a row, then the game comes to an end. You mark any 'dead stones' that are left over, then click 'done'. The game score will then be presented to you.

If you realize that you have lost the game before the board is played out, then you can click 'resign' as well.

You can also watch other people's games in progress, though they can't see what you typed until the game ends.

There are also bot games you can find on KGS, if you look around the rooms there is one made up for people to match up with bots.

This is a what a full 19x19 board looks like on KGS.
java2.jpg

Player Names:
(Post your in-game name, tagging me in the post to be added to the list)

-Belruel
-Pharezon
-Crawford
-RMED - Romanian My Escutcheon
-TeslaSun - nightmarenny
-Jarofmayo - Uriel
-kanadood - Kana
-Tofy - Tofystedeth
-kazhiim

vmn6rftb232b.png
Belruel on

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I've got a board I've been meaning to take to the Go club by my school

I really should do that

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Go is pretty interesting.
    And is a fundamental game if you want to really be a good game designer, since it is a simple game that the mastery level is extremely high.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    I wish I had a go club nearby. The closest gathering of awesome go playing people is 45 minutes to an hour away from me. I have a set of single convex yunzi stones and I am working on making a goban to play on (I have a wrinkled plastic mat currently. So not awesome.)

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I used to be waaaaaaay into Go in high school, because I was an anime nerd who hung out with other anime nerds

Used to play on KGS, in fact

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    bel can you tell me what "Strange Things Happen at the One-Two Point" means

• Options
    edited May 2012
    So what you are saying Javen is that you are going to play with us and give us all pointers.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    everything I know about Go I learned from this

• Options
    Skull Man wrote: »

Link? Really I am a beginner at Go. I played for about a month nearly half a year ago, and I am just getting back into it and I have forgotten everything but the most basic concepts.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    Go where?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    this is the superior Ok Go video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2fpgpanZAw

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    @Belruel User name is RMED, just joined the room.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Belruel wrote: »

Link? Really I am a beginner at Go. I played for about a month nearly half a year ago, and I am just getting back into it and I have forgotten everything but the most basic concepts.

it was the name of an episode of the sarah connor chronicles and it has something to do with Go but I've never known enough about Go to really understand it

• Options

As far as I can understand it, it's basically a weird proverb that's meant to describe a specific set of circumstances during a game, like a "seven ten split" in bowling.

essentially it talks about how proper utilization of playing a corner can win a capturing race.

• Options
    I don't see you in here rmed, can you see me?

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Uh, gimme a sec to log back in and out...

EDIT: I'm in, can you see me?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    thanks! this game seems pretty cool I will hop on it when I'm less tired

• Options

it was the name of an episode of the sarah connor chronicles and it has something to do with Go but I've never known enough about Go to really understand it

In the case of pop culture it's probably meant as some kind of jusxtoposition for fighting when you're backed into a corner, or something to that effect.

• Options
    If the room gets really stupid then we'll all just hang out in one of the pre-made rooms or something.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Played a quick game with RMED, it was awesome. Everyone else: jealous

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Does anyone want to play?

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Ooh, I'll have to get back into this

But not with forumers yet, I'm super duper rusty

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    also did anyone find that when they were learning Go their instincts were often fucked up by playing chess.

I was always trying to capture everything and attack attack attack, which tended to implode spectacularly in the midgame

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    yay Go thread for Go Bros.

• Options
    @Kana , most people that are playing started playing the game yesterday/today ish, so I really wouldn't worry about not being good enough.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    I wish I had a go club nearby. The closest gathering of awesome go playing people is 45 minutes to an hour away from me. I have a set of single convex yunzi stones and I am working on making a goban to play on (I have a wrinkled plastic mat currently. So not awesome.)

Ayo check this out

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh my goodness Bel, I almost didn't recognize you where is the beeeeeeee

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I need to draw a new bee. In the meantime I am a homestuck avatar person.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I wish I could play Go but A) I am terrible at it and B) I am at work

damn you Bel :(

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Makershot wrote: »

Ayo check this out

Yeah I had heard about Seattle's Go center, and I am really jealous of it. I mean, I am not good enough to warrant a membership to a go center anyways, but still.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Are you enjoying Korra Bel

Stop by the thread sometime

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    @Indie Winter We will all learn and get stronger at go together. Also play when you are off work, boom. Bel, problem solver.

@Rorus Raz Yeah, I haven't watching this morning's episode yet though. I have it taped.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    but Bel I live in a magical fantasy timezone where nobody's online when I'm free

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    indie inhabits the 25th hour

• Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    GG pharezon
    Likin' this a lot.

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    indie inhabits the 25th hour

yeah I am straight up living in a Spike Lee movie

me and big Eddie Norton hang out talking shit

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A&ob=av3n

?

No but seriously Go seems cool, I have a friend who's learning from a ~master~ and stuff. But it's way beyond me I think. I'm awful enough at chess.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    @facetious that is awesome. Also, I think go is a lot more approachable than chess. In my opinion.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    My username is TeslaSun

Quire.jpg