Anyone who is awesome is playing Go.

13»

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I definitely had fun playing you Kana

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If nobody minds playing against someone who is super bad (the space is important) and may have to frequently take breaks to answer phone calls at work, we can play. Otherwise I may just bot it up for a while. I haven't registered my name yet, but I'm going to assume Tofystedeth is available.
    might not even be able to get on tonight. lots of queries and shit to run on sunday nights.
    ... or not. Apparently it is one letter too long.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    @belruel my KGS name is Tofy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    Added the new names.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    I'm going to try a 19x19 bot game later tonight. I've only ever played a few games on a 19x19, one was a teaching game with someone much better than me, and the other was when I was brand new, my opponent was brand new, and we both had no idea what we were doing.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    19x19 is a very, very different game than 9x9

Go is really all about territory control, and a problem with learning on the 9x9 boards is that it kinda tricks you into thinking that it's just about capturing pieces. Then you move up sizes and try to capture lots of pieces and lose anyway because your opponent's got control of a big wide swathe of the board.

Anyway, anyone up for a late night match or two? I'll be around for another hour or so

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    my room mate plays this a lot, goes to some club at least twice a week and is heading to a competition in amsterdam this weekend.

• Options
    That is so awesome. Have you ever played with her/him? Do you know what rank he is?

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    no I haven't, don't know his rank either I'm afraid

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I would love to play this with someone when I get back home. I learned the basics of this ages ago after watching Hikaru No Go, but moved on rather quickly. Recently a friend of mine started playing and he got better than me within like three days, which made me bitter enough to stop playing once again. Time to get back in the saddle!

• Options
    anyone down for a game?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Added Kazhiim to the list.

I think KGS has a friends list function, so everyone should register their names, and we should all add each other. Maybe it notifies you when someone signs on?

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Go is frustratingly abstract. Like every strategy game I've ever played it is easier to on conceive of the kind of strategy that might be effective.

But it's actually the lack of rules that makes it so hard. It's fascinating.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, learning Go makes you feel REALLY, REALLY DUMB

aaaaagh, why am I losing???

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Belruel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

They are playing Shogi here I think actually. Also, what the crap.

I always confuse the two, but I imagine Go has far less of a language barrier.
    (Beatmania videos are silly.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Shogi is fun, but I had a hell of a time recognizing the various characters dependably enough to actually play

I've probably forgotten it all now, too

• Options
    Anyone down for a game sometime tonight?

Or if we can get more than 2 we could hang out and watch each other play

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My freshman roommate in college was super obsessed with Go. He watched the Hikaru no Go anime, read all the manga, played online all the time, had his own board, and was trying to program his own Go AI. He really had an addictive personality though and that led to him focusing on Go and his other entertainments (Ragnarok Online and anime) and he eventually dropped out. I kinda wanted to learn since it looks interesting (just like how I want to learn the Japanese wood wedge chess-like game whose name escapes me at the moment) but I didn't want to learn from him at all.

Opty on
  • Options
    You're prolly thinking of shogi, and yeah it's pretty cool.

check out the OP, the program we're using always has some online bots floating around, including ones for beginners. It's a pretty fun game.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    @belruel
    just made an account (mortalsky)

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    wow I suck at this

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    just checked out the tutorial for this, it seems like it might be fun!

@Belruel add SpeedRacer

also I'm not seeing the SE++ room under "new rooms." Where I go to play go

• Options
    I'm currently watching a 19x19 match between a 7th dan and 6th dan player. There's like 115 observers

speed I'll play you a match later if you wanna try out a game or two

• Options
    oh, also some of you guys might like this:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?BeginnerExercises/Consolidated125
    http://senseis.xmp.net/?BeginnerExercises/Consolidated2650

50 beginner exercises, with full solutions

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Learning about ladders really levels up your game

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I like playing this game, but I'm awful.

Like, how do I know when to attack other areas?