As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heavy Gear] Stompy Bot Productions announces new Heavy Gear vidya!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have known about Heavy Gear because of the math heavy rpg of Jovian Chronicles
    I think I bought some of the things back in 00 I know I still have a naga looking thing with rather long cannons on top of it
    I have not painted my mechs in arena because I really don't know what I want to do not black or red

A real lack of wargaming came for me after Warzone and it being either 40k or nothing

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    daggumit. 4 more models heading my way. At least they're cheap. I bought a pair of Black Mambas I plan on converting to Dark Mambas (I need an extra HGLC! FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS), and a pair of Sidewinders I'm using for Arena.

Taking painting commissions. >_>

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    Speaking of first world problems - I need a place to fit in a few Black Adders. I don't think SRA can take them without MILICIA allies, as they're an older gear. For some reason I think an army full of Sidewinders, Black Adders, and ASPs would be fun.

Maybe I should consider MILICIA instead of SRA...

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    How many points are a typical list, and how many models are that for an average army? Things be kinda pricy.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Average games, at least around here, are between 750 and 1000. If someone is feeling adventurous, 1500. A 1k game is good enough to last a couple hours if people play at a steady pace.

Typical 1k Black Talon list: 6 models if you're careful with upgrades.
    Typical 1k Elite List (SRA. UMFA. PRDF.) is... somewhere in between. 12 models, I'd like to say?
    Typical 1k Northern (or standard army in general) list: 15 models, apparently.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    I've seen most starting armies at 750. DP9 has a pretty solid official forum too, great for starting help.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god.

Played two games against a friend of mine. SRA army. 1k points. Black Talons' biggest weakness is definitely concentrated IF fire. I went up against four Nagas with field guns. The second I got spotted, I lost a model after an ungodly amount of shots.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    So this thread reminded me that this game existed and I snatched the rulebook thanks to that awesome promo code.

Is there a decent breakdown of the different factions anywhere online (in terms of gameplay?)

This game seems very neat!

Edit: Found a breakdown in the OP, reading comprehension ftw :P

Edit the 2nd: I find myself strangely drawn towards a PL1 MILICIA force, something about playing a bunch of backwater nobodies is oddly fun sounding.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In my (very dated) experience armies are more like historical wargames in their differences; you don't get wildly different playstyles, but a couple of key tweaks on top of a consistent base that can open up or emphasize different strategies and give access to different models.

Blitz is a lot more varied than older HG minis rules though, so that impression is probably only so accurate.

Word on the MILICIA. A bit more expensive, but a horde of stripped down, older Gears is appealing.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The Northern equivalent is the WFPL for a high-numbers faction. Yeah, definitely a pricey army to buy into since it relies on sheer numbers. The exact opposite of Black Talons.

Honestly you're not too far off the mark. North tends to be better at concentrated fire, the South likes indirect fire better, NuCoal seems to be heavily into guided, precision indirect fire + fast hover units... Peace River is a smaller, more elite force with faction-wide ECM (though not necessarily GOOD ecm). CEF has tons and tons of hovertanks and the best infantry in the game. Black Talons has an insane firepower/cost-per-model ratio, universal stealth, and weather manipulation. Caprice has spider walkers. Utopia (I think) has drones.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Oh hey, I can take Black Adders in strike cadres! Good, good.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    360 point lightning tournament monday, most likely. Well. This... should be interesting. Most I can do is a PL4 list with 3 models.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    So talk of this game has been popping up in D&D chat and between the free rulebook and the free army builder it seems like some of us might be trying to get some vassal games going in the near-ish future. Anyone from this thread is of course more than welcome. Seems like a great way to try out the game without committing any cold hard cash.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Thinking about it, about a year back or so I made a pretty big order from DP9 and got a Koala mini.

Other than its incredibly clever name, I have absolutely no idea what type of squad this is supposed to be a part of, other than that its a northern gear.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    D&D Chat? Where's that?

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    There is the debate and discourse sub-forum (d&d) and there we have a chat thread where we just shoot the shit. One of the posters there (Echo) started talking about Heavy Gear because of this thread, which got me to look at it and start talking about it. Now a couple others (Mazzyx and Leitner iirc) have expressed interest in trying to play some games online via VASSAL or similar program.

Right now I'm going to go sit down and read the rules in some detail, instead of just skimming. :)

• Options
    Oh, here I thought you guys were talking about an IRC room on top of that. Doesn't CF have one? I mean, I think I found it once but it was barren.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    CF might have one, I'm not sure to be honest, not much of an IRC guy myself.

... I wonder if this game has a following in Japan (I'm going to be living there soon to teach). Somehow I doubt it does. I hope I'll be able to get up to some tabletop gaming while I'm there.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Dammit. I was about to post on the chat thread. Then it closed.

Last I heard, according to /tg/, some Japanese site that reviewed Heavy Gear likened it to "Dougram setting with VOTOMS mecha". Then I looked up Dougram's plot and was pretty dumbfounded. Who knows, though? Could be worth bringing up. Dunno if it actually caught on over there. Wouldn't be surprised if it did.

(Dougram: Some 80's gundam-esque show. The setting itself apparently really IS really reminiscent of Terra Nova.)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    The art in the manuals for this game really does give me an old school anime kind of vibe, reminds me of Robotech a whole bunch. Ah... Robotech, good times. :)

• Options
    GRELs are pretty much Zentraedi.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Why the hell did I never see that before? Wow. Heavy Gear really is all of the good things from 70's and 80's military anime without all the crap.

I was inspired to take advantage of the 25% terrain sale to pick up the Badlands outpost, a Barnaby, and some extras. I really should hit up a pet shop for some aquarium plants too.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Pretty awesome. Dammit, you should come down to SoCal sometime!

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    My wife went to college down there, so we end up making the trip every year or so. Perhaps if stars align on a future trip.

Alternately, there's always Pax Prime. Part of why I grabbed the terrain was to prepare a table and spend some time playing with a few friends who have models/are interested and maybe recruit a few more.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    If only I could afford to go. ;_;

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    I'm in SoCal (for another month and change) :3

What's a good TV for your first game or two? i'm going to start messing around with making some lists.

• Options
    Oh really. San Diego? If so, we're doing a regular event on mondays now at the store I go to, starting tomorrow. Alternating between Arena and Blitz every week.

750tv is a good size for starting games. If you're doing a tutorial, I've seen people just bust out single squads.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Oh really. San Diego? If so, we're doing a regular event on mondays now at the store I go to, starting tomorrow. Alternating between Arena and Blitz every week.

750tv is a good size for starting games. If you're doing a tutorial, I've seen people just bust out single squads.

LA area, but right now my schedule is wide open (only work weekends) until I fly out. It's like a 2 hour drive. Maybe I'll check it out sometime, I make no promises though!

750? I'll shoot for that then. Heh, it's always interesting trying to build lists when you know very little about a game. But that doesn't make it any less fun :)

• Options
    Look up At Ease Games. Tis a nice place.

What army were you playing as again?

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    I was thinking Southern MILICIA but nothing is set in stone.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Well. Tonight's arena match was pretty nice. Took forever, but we were learning the game. So we rolled up Team Deathmatch. A three-way match between all three teams present for the day. For a good part of the match it was a 2v1 against me because I damn near OHKHO'd a guy by jumping over him with a Cheetah and dumping a heavy hand grenade into his back, but it turns out there were some bonuses he forgot about that pretty much said NO to that. (Shields and Bucklers have been errated to do MUCH more than just give an extra Sturdy, as it turns out)

The victim's team was gangster-led so all three of them were on my Cheetah's ass for most of the match, at least until she decided to try leaping over her "rival", aka a fellow Rally Racer in another Cheetah. Leapt over, tried swinging a Hammer at her back, but her opponoent had a defensive combo chain going on. I didn't do any damage, and instead got flipped over onto my head and got wrecked in one hit. Pilot survived but got put out of action for two games.

One of my two Sidewinders set up shop to lob grenades and did a wonderful job against the other team, for the most part. My melee guy spent the first part of the game spotting targets for the grenade guy since my Cheetah dropped an oil slick at a key juncture in the arena leading out of my team's starting area in order to stall the other team immediately to my left (We were using Zone Mortalis terrain. It makes for... a really interesting close quarters type of affair). Eventually, melee guy got into close range fisticuffs with a two Paxton Gears, a Warrior and.. a Gladiator, I believe- the size 7 one. He got the crap beaten out of him but he was able to limp away from the combat.

The two Jagers in the gangster team crashed hard trying to jump a ramp in order to reach the other half of my team + the Paxton-sponsored team. The judo Cheetah had no problem navigating that jump, making the two gangsters look stupid (He was an outsourced pilot hired on by the Underworld manager) and immediately engaging the two Paxton gears that were in melee with my pugilist. Ranged guy stepped back and unloaded a bunch of AOEs into that whole mess, knocking down the big girl and stunning the others. He didn't really do any damage otherwise.

Finally, the game ended. Underworld guy won because he scored a kill while we didn't. Post game, I fixed up every gear, including the poor, wrecked Cheetah no problem. The Racer pilot got knocked out as said earlier, while the others made it out just fine. For ego rolls, my Pro actually kept quiet, while the military pilot went a-whorin'. Apparently he didn't go for the hell of it- he actually managed to blackmail someone, resulting in a +1 bonus to a sponsor-related roll in the future.

Now, I lick my wounds. I'm going to transfer some melee weapons over from the pugilist's Sidewinder and install them into the Cheetah, because my minor sponsor, Shaian, demands I bring a Cheetah out every game. Going to give my soldier a pair of autocannons because I -really- needed a ranged weapon I could combo into melee with without stunning myself. MIght get myself a new pilot to train and fill up the third Gear until the racer wakes up. By then I'll hopefully be able to afford a new gear. And for further reference, here's my roster's names.

Rally Racer: Rally X
    Professional: Kallen
    Soldier: Chirico

EDIT: Got myself a Young Gun, named him Bucky. Young Guns get to pick any two Combo styles as the two they can pick from as they develop. Bucky shall have to pick between Staff Form and Defensive Fighting! Too bad Young Guns have shit for dueling and rally at the start. At least they get to level it up easily. To compensate, I threw him into Kallen's Sidewinder. Kallen transplanted her weaponry onto Rally X's Cheetah until she recovers, in order to fulfill our sponsor's demands. So, I gave Bucky Rally X's hammer and threw the HHGs into storage, equipping the single free manipulator slot with a buckler for safety. SInce the buckler gives me an extra Sturdy box, I removed Advanced Armor Plating since there was no need for it, and threw it into storage. That gave me enough room to throw in a SECOND set of Field Armor 3, raising the Sidewinder's armor all the way up to 22. On top of the Sidewinder's built-in reinforced cockpit and emergency medical systems, this was quickly shaping up to be Babby's First Gear. I threw three sets of smoke grenades into the open shoulder mount, though I think I'm just going to go with one set and install the heavy hand grenades in the remaining two spots for that Type 3 slot.

Oh, and Chirico dumped one LGL in favor of two pistol-gripped heavy autocannons.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Arena sounds interesting, almost a totally different game it sounds like.

• Options
    It shares the same basic mechanics and equipment, but veers sharply towards the FUCK YEAH direction with the addition of the Dueling stat and combo rules.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Just started talking to an old friend of mine that used to run his own game store. When that went under, he kept a bunch of his old stock, including his heavy gear stuff. He heard I was interested and dumped a lot of Southern stuff into my lap. I am now the proud owner of a 750 list that looks like this

Gen Purpose Cadre
    3x Iguanas and a Jager
    Gen Purpose Cadre Army Command
    Command Jager, 2x Jagers (1 with a Lbzk) and an Iguana
    Strike Cadre
    Black Mamba, King Cobra and 2xBlack Adders

Can't wait to start getting into the rules and running some games. Really excited about all this.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    Not fair! I need to find a random friend to dump a bunch of free models on me!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Damn. That's a hell of a find. Enjoy!

I'm busy making jungle terrain tonight.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    I am a bit confused as to the rulebook that I'm supposed to follow. It is the field manual right? I'd like to start gaming with this stuff asap and would rather avoid learning old rules haha.

Also trying to decide what scheme I'm going to shoot for. Urban maybe? I'd like to find some fluff to support it

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

• Options
    Svenska wrote: »
    I am a bit confused as to the rulebook that I'm supposed to follow. It is the field manual right? I'd like to start gaming with this stuff asap and would rather avoid learning old rules haha.

Also trying to decide what scheme I'm going to shoot for. Urban maybe? I'd like to find some fluff to support it

The most current game rules are found in the Blitz Field Manual. However, for army building rules for the South you'll want to use Locked and Loaded. HOWEVER, for the most current point values for models you should use Gear Up Issue #5. (The easiest solution, of course, is just to use the Gear Garage army building program, you can find it in the OP of this thread).

But yeah, the core rules that you want to be using are in the Field Manual.

• Options
    K, the lesson I take from that is thank goodness for Gear Garage. It's what I used to come up with my list, since I had a few little extras floating around.

• Options
    Svenska wrote: »
    K, the lesson I take from that is thank goodness for Gear Garage. It's what I used to come up with my list, since I had a few little extras floating around.

Yeah, basically you want to set Gear Garage to the GU5 (Gear Up #5) values instead of the 'standard values' or whatever it is called. Despite the other values being labeled standard it seems that pretty much every list that is being made on the official forums is using the GU5 values so, might as well just use them instead of having to learn the old values that are on the way out.