As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Myth: OOC Discussion

• Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've gone with a simple start-up once again. Anything more complicated would more heavily influence the theme.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I posted. Did I overstep anything? Take too much of a chunk of the universe? Write too cheesily?

Sounds like a fun game, and as it's my first myth I decided to go with a sun God. All cool?

Edit: Hey Salt, I think we should work up some constellations at some point. Sounds like a natural synergy to me.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OK, what we really need is for RBB to put, here or in the IC thread, a post about the what the game is really all about. We all know, we were here for the first, but otherwise all we have is guidelines and rules. I tried to see if one of my friends was interested, but from the first post by itself, she wasn't able to gather exactly what the game was. :P

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'll edit it into the first post here.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    I posted. Did I overstep anything? Take too much of a chunk of the universe? Write too cheesily?

Sounds like a fun game, and as it's my first myth I decided to go with a sun God. All cool?

Edit: Hey Salt, I think we should work up some constellations at some point. Sounds like a natural synergy to me.

Yes that does sound like a good idea.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I have some vaguely interesting ideas for a water God. There won't be a trident, I promise. Just hoping I can grab it.

Aww, I was thinking of doing a water God. But you called it, I'll think of something else...

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I decided to revisit the idea of being a god of sleep..I've got a bit more ideas this time, so I won't be revisiting that same old hole. ;)

Also, ArrBeeBee..you gonna be active in this one? Or will you be the gamemaster?

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Shamus wrote: »
    I decided to revisit the idea of being a god of sleep..I've got a bit more ideas this time, so I won't be revisiting that same old hole. ;)

Also, ArrBeeBee..you gonna be active in this one? Or will you be the gamemaster?

I'm refereeing, but I will probably get to be more active once we start getting into the mortal phases. Also, if I'm called on to settle disputes I might get creative with my decisions.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I have some vaguely interesting ideas for a water God. There won't be a trident, I promise. Just hoping I can grab it.

Aww, I was thinking of doing a water God. But you called it, I'll think of something else...
    Sorry, Gnasty, thanks for leaving it open for me :^: I'll try to do it justice.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Damn it, is it too late to get in on this? Been pretty sick and just now starting to heal up. Might not be able to post for another two days or so...

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Okay, I'm not really digging the vagueness at all.

I don't care if you're playful and powerful and loud and quiet, what are you the deity of? What's your domain?

You do not need to bold "I am X" if X doesn't tell us anything.

The idea is to bold things that give information. The most recent post did not offer any information at all.

Talon the IC thread's only been up for like a day now, you are not late.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think it's a wind God. Twisting & Whispering and whatnot. It would be good to get some more info, though.

Also, lets get some more Gods in here!

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Let's tag the IC thread with like (IC, Join Here) or something. Let people know it's open.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it's a wind God. Twisting & Whispering and whatnot. It would be good to get some more info, though.

Yeah you got it.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »

Yeah you got it.

Yay me!

Now all we need is an earth God and we've got the four elements worked out. Then we need a whole bunch of non-elementals -- right now we've got a bunch of really imaginative, warm, windswept water with not much else going on. :P

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yes, and I got it, too. What I'm saying is don't use florid prose in place of important facts. What you are trying to say should be perfectly clear, not suggested.

I am going to get pretty tired of the game really fast if we just slam down adjectives every post and then have to spoiler in OOC what we're actually doing. :P

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Once the game's well and truly underway, obviously we should be clear and make our points.

I think every deity deserves an entrance though, no?

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Once the game's well and truly underway, obviously we should be clear and make our points.

I think every deity deserves an entrance though, no?

Why does the entrance have to be obfuscated? Is it really that hard to say 'I am X and my domain is water', or 'I am Y, and I am the wind'?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No, they could do that -- I'd encourage people to be clear as to what spheres of influence they're claiming. They can, however, be stylish as well. I don't think we really disagree on anything here, come to think of it.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No, they could do that -- I'd encourage people to be clear as to what spheres of influence they're claiming. They can, however, be stylish as well. I don't think we really disagree on anything here, come to think of it.

I think you're right. Anyway. Your domain basically defines your deity. It should be more than just an OOC sidenote. :P

Beyond that, jeez, let's get some more love. We need lotsa players for this to work well.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I tried to strike a balance between being all style and information in my post. I figured most of you would get that it was water, just wanted to make sure incase the next person posted "I AM GRORG AND I AM WATER".

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Night/Darkness god. My post doesn't mean to obliterate the light if that's what anyone was thinking. Just a space filler.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gotcha, JC. I retconned you into my response to Salt, by the way.

Salt -- not meaning to dump all over what you did. I thought it was pretty cool. The baking and destruction and whatnot is intended to take place over billions of years, not to be an immediate contradiction. Plenty of time for lots and lots of games.

Plus, I thought that it might set up some good conflict for later. :lol:

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ok I need help. I'm sitting in #bombfell mulling over what I want my god to be. I want to take a deity from my Doman Kwiets guy, like the God of War, but I'm not sure if that'll give me anything to do during the first bits of the game. I've also thought about God of Knowledge and Light but same problem.

Give me some ideas guys or hop on #bombfell to help me brainstorm. :P

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    How about violence? Change? Alteration for the sake of alteration? It sort of lets you do... well, more or less whatever you want.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gotcha, JC. I retconned you into my response to Salt, by the way.

Salt -- not meaning to dump all over what you did. I thought it was pretty cool. The baking and destruction and whatnot is intended to take place over billions of years, not to be an immediate contradiction. Plenty of time for lots and lots of games.

Plus, I thought that it might set up some good conflict for later. :lol:

Oh no worries. I will post a reply sometime tonight, although it'll probably just be Cable musing.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ok, I hope my concept comes across. Basically, I'm wanting to take a god from the list of guys I created for my Doman Kwiets guys in Space Myth. I decided to do a God of Souls. Think of this guy as Davy Jones, as he collects the souls of dead sailors, or Odin, in that he receives the souls of warriors killed in battle in Valhalla (the Einheriar). My guy takes the souls of those who died (not all souls, he's not the God of the Underworld) and will form an army out of them. He's also violent, oversees wars (when asked) and values strength and courage. He's not Hades but I'm not sure what limiting factors I'll set on his soul intake. Either those killed via violence or the souls of courageous, strong warriors.

I'll write a post of him building his cool hall/kingdom of ancestors awhile later.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sort of like a whole bunch of Valkyries, then? Sounds like a good concept for a God, and you're right -- you're going to have more to do once there are souls around to collect.

P.S. -> We could still use someone who wants to make things like planets and as always there's room for more Gods.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yea, for know, I figure he'll be involved in building places for souls to hangout/servants of his kingdom.

He's kinda like the God of 300, in a way :P.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sort of like a whole bunch of Valkyries, then? Sounds like a good concept for a God, and you're right -- you're going to have more to do once there are souls around to collect.

P.S. -> We could still use someone who wants to make things like planets and as always there's room for more Gods.

If enough time passes and still nobody arrives to build a planet, I'll do it.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I still think it'd be nice to put up some sign on the IC thread's title that recruitment is open or whatever. That might attract more players.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I already did.

By the way, people shouldn't feel obligated to design their deities just to fit the demand - the other gods and I can fill in for anything critically missing. Gives me something to do.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If I'd ended up having to create the planet, I'd have taken the broken fragments of eggshell, set the concave shard of the base spinning, and put the other much smaller shards in a closely packed ring around it. We could then have fill the base with water and suchlike. Thought I'd share the idea, since we've moved past it anyway.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think Shamus just created it.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I purposely left the world itself vague - I figured I'd leave that to the rest of you to create, and define further. The shell idea can be incorperated totally - as if the dream itself wasn't strong enough to hold it together, etc.

If I stepped on any toes, sorry..figured I'd get the ball rolling. And we didn't exactly have an earth deity to fall back on, so I went for something different.

Shamus on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hi guys!

So, against my ENORMOUS better judgement, I've decided to join your awesome game, despite the fact that finals are just around the corner. I'm considering playing a malevolent god of Death (original, I know). Obviously I'll have to be careful with it, since he is evil, as such, but I promise not to overuse him.

Let me know if I step on anybody's toes.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hooray for poor judgement!

Re your death God: It looks like TR's God is claiming at least some of the dead -- and Solar's shaping up to be fairly malevolent -- so that would be your only conflicts. It's much more towards TR's end of thing than mine though, so I'd just run it past him.

*cough*

As you've done. :lol:

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, he seems cool with it, and there will probably end up being an interesting conflict between us as we attempt to claim souls.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think the idea of an evil death god has actually become more original than you might think. Well not original as such, but I've seen the neutral death god used waaay more often lately. Of course this is hardly a new concept either, but in a recently created setting I'd be more surprised to see a straight-up evil death god than a neutral one who's seen as just doing a job and so forth.

An evil one would be much cooler. He should snatch people away, a reaper that everyone actually fears. Just be sure to read up on Talon's god, as he touches on the soul-collection business.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yea, VisibleHowl already talked to me about it and his fits in perfectly. I'm more of a God of "Chinese ancestralism if ancestors were only brave warriors" type of thing as well as being a god of wars and battles in the sense of trying to orchestrate wars so I gain more for my army.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg