As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MechWarrior Tactics | Open Beta or Whatever, Game's Still Shit I Guess

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I miss those toys. I had almost all of them.

I miss childhood. I had almost all of it.

edit: Cannot wait for these two Mech games to come out. It's been way, way too long.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Look, we all know that the toy line based on the cartoon is the canon appearance.
    1614-1.jpg
    To be fair, that's not that far off from the Hunchback IIc design
    Hunchbackiic.jpg

• Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    Eh. Those designs are no more or less worse than what we suffered through with (the ever appropriately named) Dark Ages. I don't mind them taking some liberties with the Mech designs, because let's be honest here... I love BattleTech the way anyone loves something that defined their childhood, but I have no illusions about how god fucking awful many of those original designs are. If it's not among the Unseen, it probably needs an overhaul.

That said, it is a bit weird that the AC/20 is on the wrong side. Hoping someone just cluelessly flopped it for that screenshot.
    Skab wrote: »
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Is this thing going to require a Facebook account? I couldn't find anything on the site saying one way or another.

What makes you think it would?
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Man, this is horrible to people hyped for this, but I really hope this comes out much later this year. Between Guild Wars 2 and MW:O I won't have any game-time to spare, and I want to love all these little babies equally.

That's the nice thing about this game is that it plays out like Frozen Synapse so you can just start a match without worrying about having to just sit there for the whole thing.

What now? Please explain.

You should really go play Frozen Synapse, since its amazing.

But to actually answer your question, its simultaneously turn based. So no action plays out until both players have input their moves, and the other player doesn't have to be there for me to take my turn.

Hmm. So games are often going to take days to play out as one person only occasionally checks in?

They could, yes. But, at least what was usually the case in FS, once started it would usually play out. Though the plus side of the system is that you can have more than one game going at once. So, even if you were really deep into a close game and you and the other person are taking a long time to plot out your moves and strategy, you could still bounce out to another game to keep playing while waiting. The fact that you could really take your time and be strategic with it made it very satisfying.

But, this is all based on another game, as I obviously haven't played MW Tactics, and don't know just how similar the systems will be between the two.

At the very least, it's been confirmed that you will indeed be able to play multiple concurrent games. You can also set a time limit for rounds. (So says this article.) So you've got some options should someone totally flake on your match.

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I remember them saying you can play multiple rounds at the same time, but your mechs couldn't be in more then one game. So you'd need to have a fairly large hanger to pull off more then two games concurrently. Which in a way will make people spend more $$$ to get started so they can play more and wait less.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Velmeran wrote: »
    I remember them saying you can play multiple rounds at the same time, but your mechs couldn't be in more then one game. So you'd need to have a fairly large hanger to pull off more then two games concurrently. Which in a way will make people spend more $$$ to get started so they can play more and wait less.

And if you get stuck in a game with a guy who doesn't resign and takes really, really slow turns...

Awesome.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    You can set turn time limits so that the other guy doesn't take a while.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Look, we all know that the toy line based on the cartoon is the canon appearance.
    1614-1.jpg

I have this (with a few others) in a box in my basement somewhere.

I should go look for it one of these days.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    1614-1.jpg

I have this (with a few others) in a box in my basement somewhere.

I should go look for it one of these days.

When K-Mart went out of business, I started mowing the lawns of every house in the neighborhood for two weeks. I bought every single one at like 60% off. I think I had two Bushwackers. My favorite was... man, was it a Summoner? The "PPC" was physically attached and extended like a toy lightsaber.

I think I sold them all at a yard sale as a teenager. My shame is great.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Ah man, I like permadeath. Oh well:

From the forums:
    Question:

Do our mech pilots gain experience or any skills? / If they gain XP or Skills, they have perma-death?

Answer:

Pilots do not gain experience. Each Pilot will have their own set of skills, but those cannot be modified.
    There is no perma-death for any card that you have collected through STACs.

And we have one more question answered for you this week again!

Question:

How will ECM and BAP work? Can you "hide" lance mates under your ECM umbrella and how does this appear visually to you, and the opponent?

Answer:

We really like the idea of sensor gameplay as it adds all kinds of neat opportunities for information warfare. While it is a really cool feature, MWT won't be launching with ECM or BAP technologies.

Also, they've got some 3d turnarounds shots of the Atlas and Spider.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    I really wish this was out right now. This is an exact gaming itch I want to scratch.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    MWT won't be launching with ECM or BAP technologies.
    Awwwwww. I has a sad. ECM trickery is one of my favoritist things. Nothing like sneaking around and then shoving a couple of LBX Autocannons up someone's ass.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    New website for MWT is live over at http://mwtactics.com/

You're going to want to re-register, even if you signed up before, it seems. It'll say stuff about BETA, but apparently beta hasn't started yet.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Ah man, I like permadeath. Oh well:

From the forums:
    Question:

Do our mech pilots gain experience or any skills? / If they gain XP or Skills, they have perma-death?

Answer:

Pilots do not gain experience. Each Pilot will have their own set of skills, but those cannot be modified.
    There is no perma-death for any card that you have collected through STACs.

And we have one more question answered for you this week again!

Question:

How will ECM and BAP work? Can you "hide" lance mates under your ECM umbrella and how does this appear visually to you, and the opponent?

Answer:

We really like the idea of sensor gameplay as it adds all kinds of neat opportunities for information warfare. While it is a really cool feature, MWT won't be launching with ECM or BAP technologies.

Also, they've got some 3d turnarounds shots of the Atlas and Spider.
    Pretty cool turnaround of the Hunchback too... (with the cannon on the correct side)
    http://mwtactics.com/media/view/3d_unity_turnaround_hunchback

• Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    I check in on their website weekly to see anything about a beta, but still nothing! :(

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I really wish this was out right now. This is an exact gaming itch I want to scratch.

I feel the same way. Are there any older games that do this? The turn-based boardgame type gameplay.

They need something for AeroTech as well. I thought AT was pretty awesome, but never really had a chance to play the Table Top game.

Edit: Ah ha! I found MegaMek. Anyone play it? I figure I'll rope the wife and kid into a round or two against bots :D

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    Our own PAR has an article about the payment system for MWT: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/between-the-stacs-how-mechwarrior-tactics-will-monetize-free-to-play-mech-c

As much as I love MAGIC, I'm still not sold on the "booster pack" model for a f2p game, especially without the ability to trade items (which may be added). Mass Effect 3 MP was fun, but it's really upsetting when you never unlock a weapon for your preferred class. I must have gotten 4 upgrades for the same stock Assault Rifle, when all I wanted was a decent sniping weapon so I could actually play Gold level matches.

That said, I am excite.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The booster pack stuff could be really neat, though. Possibly, provided it isn't too hard to grind packs for free. My reasoning for that is that it would actually create one of the situations of the tabletop Battletech, i.e., making do with what you have instead of simply making a lance of perfectly-designed mechs right out of the gate. That does help create character in a game, having to do things like make do with a mediocre 80-tonner instead of just picking the best mech right away.

Of course, the downside would be if you got a lance of lousy mechs, or people managed to get fantastic lances right away. There's always the possibility of that.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    “So you’re going to be able to buy STACs, basically booster packs, like Magic or Pokemon,”
    Well there goes every single ounce of care I had about this game. God fucking damnit. I do not play games where what gear you get is completely randomized unless I can cheese my way around it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    “So you’re going to be able to buy STACs, basically booster packs, like Magic or Pokemon,”
    Well there goes every single ounce of care I had about this game. God fucking damnit. I do not play games where what gear you get is completely randomized unless I can cheese my way around it.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Alright, alright, don't start rending your garments yet guys. It clearly says you'll be able to acquire STACs with earned in-game currency too. It's not like you're totally at the mercy of random booster packs bought with real dollars.

• Options
    My issue with ME3 was if you lost, not only were you out twenty minutes of your time, you were out the money that could go towards more booster packs and better equipment. With this being asynchronous, at least I can walk away and go do something else while I'm brutalized.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Booster packs? Really?

Um. No thanks. Been there, done that. It's a shitty way to artificially extend the game's lifespan, and it's the kind of thing facebook games do.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Pox Nora does this. Their system works pretty well, but you do have to commit to spend cash if you want to stay up on the power curve.

It's a really shitty system when you take a step back and look at it.

Also when you get your statement and see how much you spend on non-tangible goods.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Alright, alright, don't start rending your garments yet guys. It clearly says you'll be able to acquire STACs with earned in-game currency too. It's not like you're totally at the mercy of random booster packs bought with real dollars.

I saw that part, I just hate randomized booster packs even if they're available for in game currency (see: Mass Effect 3.). There are plenty of other freemium games with proven models that are effective at taking people's time and/or money without making them feel cheated. This is not one of them.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Especially in a world like battle tech where there is so much room for increasing the mech pool. Randomized unlocking sucks.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I mean, I'll still try it out because FREE, but I tend to agree with all of you. Unless the default 'Mechs just happen to be ones that I'm super happy with, I think there will be no end to frustration if attempts at improvement are random and haphazard.

• Options
    On the plus side, this now means I will have more cash time to throw at MWO and Planetside 2!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    FWIW I don't mind the STACs and am still interested in this.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    MegaMek wrote: »

I love every time you com out in favor of Battletech.

"Hey guys! LegoSW here. Despite hearing they might be selling the DLC individually, I'm still interested in Lego Star Wars 4."

I'm not trying to be mean either. It's like years of loving Mega Mek have finally brought you to this fabled time. "See! SEE!!! MECHS!"

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    My name is not in any way a reference to the BattleTech universe or its associated franchises and unofficial spinoffs, and I am also still entirely open to/cautiously optimistic about this game. :P

Most interesting takeaway from those screens for me is the existence of different "models" of the same weapon, such as Sperry Browning, Surefire, and Voelkers 75 machine guns. In the fluff of the BT universe, there have always been different models of the same basic weapon classes produced by different manufacturers, but it's never been reflected in gameplay before - an AC/10 is an AC/10 is an AC/10.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Yeah, the STACs thing hasn't affected my interest in the slightest. Having to make do with what you get instead of having per-tier "perfect" teams? That's far more interesting to me to face largely random teams where people have to think on their feet instead of just making the most perfect-est setups possible every time.

Though it all depends on the "cost" of those STACs from freeplay and the content of them. If a STAC with a mech definitely inside (but you don't know what) costs something crazy like 5 bucks or takes, say, 10 hours of in-game time to grind to, I'll probably end up passing. But if it's something like a buck a STAC and it only takes an hour or so of playing to buy a STAC with a fair chance of a mech (even just 15-20%), then I probably won't mind at all. And if you can "sell" the mech or mechs from a STAC to recoup a sizable amount of what the stack costs (say, 30-40% for a mech or two you don't want/can't really use), I probably would mind even less.

Hope they can hit the right middleground of F2P feeling rewarding and paying not feeling like a ripoff.

• Options
    edited August 2012

I love every time you com out in favor of Battletech.

"Hey guys! LegoSW here. Despite hearing they might be selling the DLC individually, I'm still interested in Lego Star Wars 4."

I'm not trying to be mean either. It's like years of loving Mega Mek have finally brought you to this fabled time. "See! SEE!!! MECHS!"

Eh. I just don't see it as any different than CCGs or what-have-you. It's not like there's any concrete information about in game items and such. I'll stay optimistic until I see the default AC/20 doing 20 damage and a super rare gold-plated AC/20 that does 200 damage; then I'll pass.

I've been shouting this since both these new MechWarrior projects became a real thing. My friends are getting annoyed :P

MegaMek on
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    My name is not in any way a reference to the BattleTech universe or its associated franchises and unofficial spinoffs, and I am also still entirely open to/cautiously optimistic about this game. :P

Most interesting takeaway from those screens for me is the existence of different "models" of the same weapon, such as Sperry Browning, Surefire, and Voelkers 75 machine guns. In the fluff of the BT universe, there have always been different models of the same basic weapon classes produced by different manufacturers, but it's never been reflected in gameplay before - an AC/10 is an AC/10 is an AC/10.

Yeah. Assuming that one weapon of a type (say, the ChemJet Gun 185mm AC/20) isn't clearly superior to another weapon of the same type (like the Pontiac 100 AC/20) then I think it'll work out just fine.

Another thing I'm seeing in the mechlab photos is that there doesn't seem to be any limitation to changes beyond crits and weight. No hardpoints like MWO or MW4. Twin AC/20 Atlas here I come!

• Options
    And you don't even necessarily need to pay real money to get the booster packs for this. I could never stomach the notion of paying money for a bunch of pictures printed on cardboard, but the possibility of getting "rewarded" for playing by getting chances to get more stuff for free? Hard to object to that, if it's done right.

I think the real kicker will be if they end up having a store where you can just buy what you want outright. Then the whole game would just devolve into the "best" teams getting developed, people simply buying the best stuff, and nobody but paid players playing because nobody wants to pit their random mech team against a purpose-built powerhouse team.

Plenty willing to wait and see what develops, though.

• Options
    I'm actually a huge fan of the "limited" environment in CCGS. (that's when you and everyone else has a semi-random pool of cards to work with) so I'm excited to see how this goes. I can understand how upsetting it is for some folks, though, who just want to roll up in their favorite 'Mechs. I'd even take a rudimentary trading system of gold for gold, silver for silver, etc. There's nothing worse than hearing someone got taken for all he was worth on a bad trade.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    If I can drop $8 or less a month and feel like I'm extremely competitive, I have no problem with the STAC thing.

If a pack costs me $8 and there's a decent chance it's horse shit plus I'll be rare chasing the whole time? I won't be as excited.

In the end, I do think a "limited" environment from CCG stuff is fun, as long as it's not over-skewed toward the money machine end.

Plus we could have draft battles or something.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Plus we could have draft battles or something.

Hey man, don't say that. I only brought one pair of pants to work, and they need to last me all day.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Despite the CCG nature this game seems to be going toward, I am far more excited for Tactics than MWO.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    F2P, asynchronous multiplayer, Battletech tabletop? I think the CCG aspect could be fun if implemented right (read: STACs give you dependably decent stuff), but having been burned by ME3, I am a little worried. This game has so much goddamn potential.