As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skyfall Is The Best Bond Movie Of The Year

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    these thread titles are a thing now, huh
    SE++ is a town without street signs

i guess i should watch some of this craig bond stuff, huh

i don't watch many movies

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    that is, in fact, something I do not have to do

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I dated a girl who was really into guns and roses once

the worst part about her was really the guns and roses thing

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Shameful

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    guns and roses more like

shitty band

• Options
    shitty band for losers

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Is it time for me to tell you guys

again

about my James Bond film?

Whyyesitis

Me wrote:
    This only works on the premise that "James Bond 007" is the name and number given to the top 00 agent at any given time, and that when one dies or retires a new one takes his place, so each actor is actually portraying a separate character. Not only does this allow for the different faces and personalities but lack of aging over 50 years, in-universe it makes more sense than a spy telling everyone what his real name is.

Anyway, my idea was that Sean Connery would come out of retirement to play his Bond again, the first Bond, who is now a leader of a crime syndicate (or terrorist ring, or something). He's a bitter old man who's angry at MI6 for demanding so much of their promising young men before destroying their lives, and he's set out to destroy the agency. He's had all the training they have so he knows how to stay ahead of them and predict their moves, so Craig-Bond can't just punch his way to a solution. It would have a whole lot of revelations about MI6 and the nature of the 00 program and what happens to old cast-off spies.

It'll never happen because the studio has said they do not support the multiple agents hypothesis
    And even if it were made it would probably have to be the last Bond movie ever

At the end Connery offers Craig a choice

1. spare him and join his organization
    2. kill him and lead the organization and carry on Connery's mission of ending MI6
    3. kill him and remain in the MI6 fold

He's not trying to force or coerce Craig into picking any one choice because, says, Connery, it's a choice freely offered, which is more than MI6 ever gave Craig

I haven't yet decided which one Craig will pick BUT I like this idea best
    Antimatter wrote:
    kill him and retire, let a new bond take over.

The pre-credits opening would start off like your typical Bond cold open but would wind up having Craig shut down and getting his ass handed to him at every turn because Connery doesn't fall into the typical villain pitfalls and monologues and such and invented half the techniques they teach current 00s, and Craig basically has to limp back to MI6 looking like a fool and has M fill him in on Bond Prime

Also Timothy Dalton would be Connery's right-hand man, because I always felt Dalton was the angriest of the bunch and if anyone went rogue it would be him

And the events of Die Another Day were a hallucination Pierce Brosnan was having while he was being tortured by the North Koreans
    He never actually got out of there

Crimson King and Chiasaur have suggested that Roger Moore is the only one who got out with all his shit more or less together, and that there will be a nice quiet scene at his house in the country where Craig asks him to join him for one last fight and Moore says he's tired of being the hero, "leave me to my flowers"

At this point we dangerously approach the event horizon of fanfiction though

i think you should make this a real thing, hell make it a comic book
    about "matthew pond" or something

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    We need to unfreeze carly simon and get her to do one last bond tune.

What?

Just

what

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Do it gg

dooooo iiiiiiit

• Options
    guns and roses more like

shitty band

More like your face

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    who's being fuckin' stupid about gnr in this thread, shoe?

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    who's being fuckin' stupid about gnr in this thread, shoe?

Are you surprised to learn it is me
    (you should not be surprised)

• Options
    Too many jerks to name

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    guys I heard we were talking about Bond and I came over as fast as I could.

That Skyfall trailer is divine. I am officially hype.

And as rubbish as the movie was, I think this qualified as 2nd favorite theme (behind Live and Let Die):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C5NLfYdZaE

Yes, yes, that one is my favorite. Love how Shirley Manson is a Terminator in the video and then a decade later she was an actual Terminator on the Terminator TV show.

The best Bond themes are the ones that spoil the entire movie's plot in hindsight or if you have an ear for symbolism. For instance, there's the subtle implication that Goldfinger loves gold and that Scaramanga will shoot anyone with his golden gun.

No but more seriously if you listen to the TWINE theme it should be immediately obvious that the bad guy is Sophie Marceau. Similarly, the Goldeneye theme all but rubs your face in how totally Trevelyan it is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    god damnit gg

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    If they just had a different singer I'd like them a lot better!

• Options
    just fuckin' stop gg

whenever you open that dumb mouthhole

nuttin' good comes out

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Blofeld is featured as the enemy of multiple actors playing Bond
    At the very least I will state that each Bond actor is not his own continuity

Having a recurring villain doesn't necessarily they're in the same continuity, though. I mean, there's also the issue of the different Moneypennys.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    OHMSS had the best Blofeld.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Bond is actually just very bad with faces and calls all of M's secretaries "Moneypenny", not realising she left years ago.

• Options
    just fuckin' stop gg

nuttin' good comes out

So, just like Axl Rose then

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Having a recurring villain doesn't necessarily they're in the same continuity, though. I mean, there's also the issue of the different Moneypennys.

I'm pretty sure Blofeld is aware of and references the events of his previous appearances, BUT I'll admit it's been a while and I don't know 100%

• Options
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Guns and Roses is currently the best Guns and Roses tribute band.

• Options
    just fuckin' stop gg

nuttin' good comes out

So, just like Axl Rose then

see what I mean?

you probably think you're being witty or something right now

but nope

still the worst

forever the worst

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

again

Whyyesitis

Me wrote:
    This only works on the premise that "James Bond 007" is the name and number given to the top 00 agent at any given time, and that when one dies or retires a new one takes his place, so each actor is actually portraying a separate character. Not only does this allow for the different faces and personalities but lack of aging over 50 years, in-universe it makes more sense than a spy telling everyone what his real name is.

Anyway, my idea was that Sean Connery would come out of retirement to play his Bond again, the first Bond, who is now a leader of a crime syndicate (or terrorist ring, or something). He's a bitter old man who's angry at MI6 for demanding so much of their promising young men before destroying their lives, and he's set out to destroy the agency. He's had all the training they have so he knows how to stay ahead of them and predict their moves, so Craig-Bond can't just punch his way to a solution. It would have a whole lot of revelations about MI6 and the nature of the 00 program and what happens to old cast-off spies.

It'll never happen because the studio has said they do not support the multiple agents hypothesis

2. kill him and lead the organization and carry on Connery's mission of ending MI6

He's not trying to force or coerce Craig into picking any one choice because, says, Connery, it's a choice freely offered, which is more than MI6 ever gave Craig

Antimatter wrote:

The pre-credits opening would start off like your typical Bond cold open but would wind up having Craig shut down and getting his ass handed to him at every turn because Connery doesn't fall into the typical villain pitfalls and monologues and such and invented half the techniques they teach current 00s, and Craig basically has to limp back to MI6 looking like a fool and has M fill him in on Bond Prime

Also Timothy Dalton would be Connery's right-hand man, because I always felt Dalton was the angriest of the bunch and if anyone went rogue it would be him

And the events of Die Another Day were a hallucination Pierce Brosnan was having while he was being tortured by the North Koreans

Crimson King and Chiasaur have suggested that Roger Moore is the only one who got out with all his shit more or less together, and that there will be a nice quiet scene at his house in the country where Craig asks him to join him for one last fight and Moore says he's tired of being the hero, "leave me to my flowers"

how did I not realize you were ripping off

actual spoiler for a much-maligned and much-praised recent video game:
    the ending to Mass Effect?

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »

again

Whyyesitis

Me wrote:

Antimatter wrote:

how did I not realize you were ripping off

actual spoiler for a much-maligned and much-praised recent video game:
    the ending to Mass Effect?

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

gg came up with this at least a year before that

• Options
    Oh fuck

• Options
    ok well at least you didn't notice at first either

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Blofeld is aware of and references the events of his previous appearances, BUT I'll admit it's been a while and I don't know 100%

It could just be a shared history between continuities, like how everyone assumes WW2 happened.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options

Yeah goddamnit
    Okay I'll have to make it less explicit
    Nobody will ever actually say HERE ARE YOUR CHOICES

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular

Yeah goddamnit

M directs him to kill connery and shut down his operation in the beginning of the film

connery himself offers the choice to join him mid film

love interest presents the choice to kill connery and take his place in the resting point of the film before the finale

• Options
    Oh man the love interest
    I have given literally zero thought to who that should be

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Every.

Single.

Moneypenny

• Options
    the love interest?

george lazenby

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Vann Diras wrote: »

Yeah goddamnit

M directs him to kill connery and shut down his operation in the beginning of the film

connery himself offers the choice to join him mid film

love interest presents the choice to kill connery and take his place in the resting point of the film before the finale

Bond refuses and kills Connery because you know they can't stop making these damn movies

then he goes home and gets into a threeway with M and Moneypenny

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Make it a dude, Craig will be at least twice as likely to support you

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I played trivia at a bar last night, and one of the rounds had us matching up snippets of Bond theme songs to their respective movies. I'm so glad I listened to a bunch of the theme songs because of this thread.

Which reminded me that I haven't seen all of the movies.

So I looked around, and I don't think I can resist buying this.

http://www.amazon.com/Bond-50-Complete-Collection-Hardcover/dp/B006U1J5ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340298298&sr=8-1&keywords=james+bond

It's like...$9 a movie.

I swear I'm not a plant, it's just a good deal.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Skinny little dude, ain't he