As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Wednesday, June 6, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 16: Hard-Boiled

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
image[PATV] Wednesday, June 6, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 16: Hard-Boiled

This week, we discuss the AAA industry's trend toward hard-boiling its franchises, and what it means to be "mature".<br />Come discuss this topic in the <a href="http://extra-credits.net/episodes/hard-boiled/#discuss&quot; target="_blank">forums</a>!

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Nice to see the guys back after a break.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I have to say this was well timed in response to the Lara Croft controversy.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    It's hard to see Max Payne as so gritty after this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWMiIJ6B-7k

• Options
    Havic1137Havic1137 Registered User new member
    edited June 2012
    I actually sent an email about this to you guys concerning my MMO, City of Heroes. Thanks for answering, guys, even if unintentionally. I just hope the industry learns from this and grows up.

Havic1137 on
  • Options
    ClomClom Registered User new member
    Games like portal suck me in because of their intersting physics, yet keep me glued nailed and rivited to them because of their amazing story and characters.
    also "fabulously hard-boiled" there's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one

• Options
    AlexT10786AlexT10786 Registered User new member
    I love you, lads! This is the greatest video-games show, ever!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Props for tackling an issue that gets commonly brought up but is really difficult to express.

Though Yahtzee's take on what constitutes a "mature" game also makes me laugh.

It is odd to me that childish or goofy titles like Catherine or Psychonauts are often more mature than some of the hardcore titles like WET or The Darkness.

Most Mature game ever: Planescape Torment

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Most game ever: Planescape Torment

fixed that for you

• Options
    MikoditeMikodite Registered User regular
    You think the reason that no-one in the triple A industry seems to notice Plants vs Zombies is because PvZ isn't that popular, or just seen as 'casual' and wouldn't be played by the target audience of 'hardcore' gamers? I mean, I'm pretty sure I'll find someone that knows what Call of Duty is, but Plants vs Zombies, not so much.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I disagree, though, on GTA4 being a good example on mixing darker, mature elements and levity. In the main plot, at least, there was too much of the former and not enough of the latter.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    AnActualBearAnActualBear Registered User regular
    I'd go so far as to say GTA4's mixture of dark and funny wasn't really that different from Max Payne 3's. Neither one worked as well as it could have.

what really bothered me about this episode, and this was pretty brief but it stuck with me, was showing a screenshot from one of the Arkham games as an example of the "hard-boiled" concept working well. those games might be the most perfect example i can think of of tryhard edginess not working.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'd go so far as to say GTA4's mixture of dark and funny wasn't really that different from Max Payne 3's. Neither one worked as well as it could have.

what really bothered me about this episode, and this was pretty brief but it stuck with me, was showing a screenshot from one of the Arkham games as an example of the "hard-boiled" concept working well. those games might be the most perfect example i can think of of tryhard edginess not working.

I'd say GTA4's issue was its levity was very rarely associated with its main character. Niko is this understandably dour fellow dealing with being double crossed and seeking revenge, while in the background a blatant satire of US Politics is blaring at you, creating mood whiplash. It's like one group wanted comedy and the other group wanted tragedy, and the fact they didn't focus on one or the other hurt the game.

I don't understand why you think the Arkham games edginess didn't work. I thought both games had a great atmosphere for what you're doing throughout it.

• Options
    ManeeshManeesh Registered User new member
    I think that reference to GTA IV is spot on. From the first GTA up until 4, there has always been an undertone of self mocking-ness. Not only is there satire for a stereotype of the 'all American' city but also for the very fact that you playing the game in a way that is not a natural way to behave. In a lot of ways it reminds me of certain narratives in South Park.

• Options
    Svenne345Svenne345 Treasure Hider Registered User regular
    The song in the credits... My Lord. You guys have constantly introduced me to fantastic remixes and music after educating me. This song especially.

Svenne345.jpg
  • Options
    VicirmVicirm Registered User new member
    Why do you keep using the same picture of Ivy from Soul calibur sexy clothes when you call it immature?

Yes, it's sexy and it can be as a form of pandering, but it's not more realistic or practical than anything that appears in the games. I don't know, just continually keep pushing the idea that all games should have this thought, classical philosophical 4 dimensional female characters seem as immature as the points you just made in your video.

Yes it's a form of escapism and it shouldn't be the base for all the games, but just because a game has it doesn't get it immature. Soul calibur and the like are not deep, meaningful experience, but they are funny, good looking and relaxing, and this shouldn't be the first purpose for a game.

It's just get so boring that they keep hammering in comics, video games and almost all media the idea of sexy as sexism or idiotic. There would be changes, but they are going to take time and they are never going to go away, because there would be always, but male and female gamers that would like, once in a while, a game that gives them this fantasies.

• Options
    smilomaniacsmilomaniac Registered User regular
    The opposite is also true, that gritty games shouldn't become colorful and PG13. Prime example being World of Warcraft, where I remembered Paladins in WarCraft 2 being stonecold killers burning their enemies from the inside out and chopping down orcs by the dozen. Now they're wearing pink and have become a laughing stock.

I love gritty settings and maturity is definitely a required ingredient. Violence needs to be put in context and swearing needs to be poignant and timed. When well executed there is a sense of awe in gritty settings that no other theme can properly deliver.

• Options
    AustinDHillAustinDHill Registered User new member
    I really like what Rockstar did with LA Noire. It had nudity and violence that was presented in a totally matter-of-fact way. When investigating the crime scenes, they didn't hold anything back but they also didn't make it gratuitous or over the top. It felt like a good blend that definitely added to the feel of the game.

• Options
    XenariXenari Registered User new member
    @vicirm
    allison is the one who i thinks arrange the pics to be placed in the video
    she is a female, therefore she thinks a costume the ivy uses is immature
    its her right as a female to feel that way

as a guy i think that costume is immature too

• Options
    1A11A1 Registered User new member
  • Options
    MagmarFireMagmarFire Registered User regular
    @1A1

Because the video slots, all represented by li elements, aren't uniform in height, as the first two episodes have longer-than-average titles. It's a simple fix for the coders; just setting the height of the elements to, say, 180px would suffice.

*is a Web developer*

• Options
    FlyingOstrichFlyingOstrich Registered User new member
    edited June 2012
    I really, really disagree with this episode.

One: the idea that Max Payne has nobody to really, truly fight for is THE POINT OF THE WHOLE GAME. He's no longer just fighting for revenge, or any real personal connection, he's fighting for himself. He's fighting for his sanity and taking control of his life again. He let himself become a miserable, pill-addled, alcoholic nihilist, and yes, that's one dimensional. He's ruined the man that he used to be, and that's the entire point. The entire game is about his progression out of the hole he's dug himself into after learning that killing for a "true" cause had done nothing but cause him more anguish. His entire quest to save Mona ended up with a *SPOILER WARNING* bullet in her head and the illusion of accomplishment, but in the end of this game, he's relaxing on a beach, in a baseball cap and a button-down shirt, with FLIP-FLOPS on. Throwing away his "redemptive moment" as something that "never really comes" reflects poorly upon James. He redeems HIMSELF. The circumstances just given him some loose justification to fight, which he holds on to for dear life.

Two: the hell that is the poorer areas of Sao Paulo is not "the world we live in"? Has James ever been there? This guy I know has. Within the first five hours being there, he saw someone get robbed. A guy on a bike pulled alongside a car, knocked on the window, held up a gun, and took all of this guy's valuables in sight. Also, Google some crime statistics of that place.

Three: has James ever seen a John Woo movie? The slo-mo shots in those movies ALWAYS do what Max Payne 3 does, and to a lesser extent, Max Payne 1 and 2: SHOWCASE VIOLENCE. Hell, has James ever played Stranglehold? A game literally co-developed BY John Woo? I'd consider that game even more violent than Max Payne 3 in some areas, the "precision shot" thing that freezes time and lets you shoot an enemy wherever you so please is definitely a part of that, especially because there are detailed animations for your testicle-shots. Euphoria allows for clutching and all, but hitting someone in the nuts in MP3 isn't half as gruesome.

Anyway, I'd like to say that I really do respect you guys, but respect to me has never meant ass-kissing, it's meant telling you guys when I disagree and when I don't. Isn't that what comments are for anyway? I mean, comment sections get boring when it's just "GREAT JOB GUYS, I AGREE 105%" "

FlyingOstrich on
  • Options
    FlyingOstrichFlyingOstrich Registered User new member
    @AnActualBear
    I definitely agree with your sentiments about the Arkham games, and while I can't speak for you, I think that any pretensions to "maturity" in that game were washed away by the ridiculous, sexist dissonance between the male and female characters in both. I don't mind the Poison Ivy design at all, because being an object of sexual desire is kinda the point with her, but Catwoman's design drove me up a wall, and so did Talia's, and come to think of it, so did Harley's. They all looked like they were dressed in really bad fetish Halloween outfits that came off as pandery and overall really damn stupid. There's not a single female character in that game with any type of interesting character beyond "sexy good", and "sexy evil"

Look at Harley's outfit in any of the source material, like the original animated series and comics, and tell me that couldn't be re-designed modestly to make her the relatively scary, psychotic character she is, instead of that ridiculous "sexy nurse" outfit she wore in the first game or that out-of-place corset she wears in the second. Exact same goes for Catwoman. While I can't say that the comics treat her well all the time, I think that Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman mixed the sexy and practical well, and she doesn't do a whole lot of fighting in that movie. Skip to Arkham City and she's gotten a boob-job and butt implants, wearing a ridiculous zip-down suit with useless texturing in a place where people are FIGHTING WITH HUGE-ASS BLADES AND GUNS.

Compare that to the male characters, that come in all shapes, sizes, and characterizations, and Arkham City comes off a lot more like a New 52 game than anything of respectable Batman property.

• Options
    Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    I mostly agree with this episode, but I do have one point to question:

Who, exactly, do you guys think would be surprised how much the industry is swayed by the success of a single game/concept? Granted, I seem to have better than average pattern recognition, but this seems to have been commented on by just about EVERYBODY.
    I disagree, though, on GTA4 being a good example on mixing darker, mature elements and levity. In the main plot, at least, there was too much of the former and not enough of the latter.

They seem to have traded one false definition of maturity for another.

• Options
    adam13ombadam13omb Registered User new member
    Definitely a thought provoking episode. Everyone's got their own opinions about what makes a game mature or just M-rated. I thought MP3 was great as it was, and well worth the sixty bones I shelled out for it. I'm totally OK with games being over the top, excessively violent, or any other immature labels one would want to put on it. I didn't find any level of extra maturity that Portal 1 or 2 have over any other game I've played. I like what I like.

• Options
    AnActualBearAnActualBear Registered User regular
    @AnActualBear
    I definitely agree with your sentiments about the Arkham games, and while I can't speak for you, I think that any pretensions to "maturity" in that game were washed away by the ridiculous, sexist dissonance between the male and female characters in both. I don't mind the Poison Ivy design at all, because being an object of sexual desire is kinda the point with her, but Catwoman's design drove me up a wall, and so did Talia's, and come to think of it, so did Harley's. They all looked like they were dressed in really bad fetish Halloween outfits that came off as pandery and overall really damn stupid. There's not a single female character in that game with any type of interesting character beyond "sexy good", and "sexy evil"

Look at Harley's outfit in any of the source material, like the original animated series and comics, and tell me that couldn't be re-designed modestly to make her the relatively scary, psychotic character she is, instead of that ridiculous "sexy nurse" outfit she wore in the first game or that out-of-place corset she wears in the second. Exact same goes for Catwoman. While I can't say that the comics treat her well all the time, I think that Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman mixed the sexy and practical well, and she doesn't do a whole lot of fighting in that movie. Skip to Arkham City and she's gotten a boob-job and butt implants, wearing a ridiculous zip-down suit with useless texturing in a place where people are FIGHTING WITH HUGE-ASS BLADES AND GUNS.

Compare that to the male characters, that come in all shapes, sizes, and characterizations, and Arkham City comes off a lot more like a New 52 game than anything of respectable Batman property.

yeah, exactly. this was a game trying so hard to say "hey guys look look at me im a batman game for adults" and the only way the manchildren at rocksteady could think to do that was to make all the male villains serial killers and all the female villains sex objects. it's just completely juvenile and frankly makes me a little annoyed any time i hear people talking about what great writing the games had.

• Options
    Ken5287Ken5287 Registered User new member
    @AnActualBear

yeah, exactly. this was a game trying so hard to say "hey guys look look at me im a batman game for adults" and the only way the manchildren at rocksteady could think to do that was to make all the male villains serial killers and all the female villains sex objects. it's just completely juvenile and frankly makes me a little annoyed any time i hear people talking about what great writing the games had.
    @AnActualBear

you mean those Machildren who gave use two great games? yeah how dare they do what the comic have been doing for over 20 years now. the writing in the game has nothing to do with a characters look go yell at DC comics for designing female charecters. i would add also that being a Batman game it exist in side the batman universe and as such means that any actual problems with the female charecter comes not for rocksteady but form any player not make that connection. let me give you a thought expriment but show my point, a woman with huge breast walks in to your home, she is beyond pretty and also happens to be a genius. she is wearing a very tiny bikini. if we accept that a charecter look is who they are then by your logic this woman is nothing but a sex object. see, she only becomes such when you make the choice to see her as that.

• Options
    Ken5287Ken5287 Registered User new member
    @AnActualBear

okay, while i see what your getting, i think you missed something. While i agree with you That Michelle Pfeffier was a great catwoman, you pretty much off base on everything else. the whole Harley thing, yeah it was strange to see her in a nurse outfit but that's all the did, she is the same Harley. See, you take one really small part of something and try to bring down everything else that was great about the Arkham games. it 's this logic that is the problem you see a design you don't like and project it on to everything else. how in anyway were any female charecters hurt because they wore sexy outfits. for me none because i do not think what a person wears or looks like makes a bit over difference. Now if they would have done something like Harley and Ivy in some lesbian overt thing i be right there with you calling sexist, but not on this one. "There's not a single female character in that game with any type of interesting character beyond "sexy good", and "sexy evil"" this throw me a little, i can't real say there is much to go on being there are only really 3 females in the games in a major role. again to me a sex object only becomes such when you make the choice to view it as such. also ni superhero or villian has a great suit in practical terms. batman as a exposed lower Jaw, ditto Flash, Robin do even wear pants, GL wears a mask that covers his eyes and nothing else. it one thing to have superheroes wear carzy thing s because they do. now if the COD games had a female or male soilder running around in the speedo then i can see the problem. btw not mean to attack you personal, my writng comes off that way sometimes I am working on that. sorry if i did.

• Options
    infinitysendinfinitysend Registered User regular
    Will you guys ever just STOP doing that annoying pitch changer to your episodes? Can you go back to all your old eps and just make them with the normal pitch? Seriously, you might be a little more tolerable to watch.

• Options
    DoghealerDoghealer Registered User new member
    You didn't touch on number 3 nearly enough. "Swearing does not equal maturity."

This isn't something that just the industry needs to learn. This is something the whole COMMUNITY needs to learn. If you've played any XBL first person shooters with voice chat on, chances are you've run into numerous people who use more swear words than non-swear words. Heck, half the time, they are (or at least sound like) they haven't hit puberty yet.

But, since those people are so pervasive and seem to form the stereotypical gamer image these days, that's why we're getting games just like the ones they play. I daresay this stereotype alone is why Call of Duty still exists as it does today.

Honestly, there's little reason to use swear words unless you actually need to word with their real meaning. For example, unless you're actually talking about something doomed to spend an eternity in hell, you can probably find a cleaner AND more appropriate word than "damn".

LONG STORY SHORT: Stop swearing, people. We can end the trend of swearing for the sake of swearing in games purely by not swearing for the sake of swearing.

• Options
    NalydNalyd Registered User new member
    Hey, bud. Don't hate on us nihilists. It's the only philosophical model that has doesn't contradict reality, and awareness of nihilism does not preclude having arbitrary moral or philosophical structures of your own, or that you care about. Nihilists like you mention exist, though, and they're usually ones that get it wrong. Nihilism doesn't value itself any more than anything else.

• Options
    xellfishxellfish Registered User new member
    Doghealer wrote: »
    You didn't touch on number 3 nearly enough. "Swearing does not equal maturity."

This isn't something that just the industry needs to learn. This is something the whole COMMUNITY needs to learn. If you've played any XBL first person shooters with voice chat on, chances are you've run into numerous people who use more swear words than non-swear words. Heck, half the time, they are (or at least sound like) they haven't hit puberty yet.

But, since those people are so pervasive and seem to form the stereotypical gamer image these days, that's why we're getting games just like the ones they play. I daresay this stereotype alone is why Call of Duty still exists as it does today.

Honestly, there's little reason to use swear words unless you actually need to word with their real meaning. For example, unless you're actually talking about something doomed to spend an eternity in hell, you can probably find a cleaner AND more appropriate word than "damn".

LONG STORY SHORT: Stop swearing, people. We can end the trend of swearing for the sake of swearing in games purely by not swearing for the sake of swearing.

"Damn" is considered a swear word? Geez.. That's the kind of word I use if I'm trying to be polite.

I kind of agree with you, yet I think that's really just half the story. The single biggest reason youths like to swear so much is because everyone is making such a big deal out of it. They love to push triggers. To get rid of it we need maturity on both sides. American people in special are extremely sensitive when it comes to swear words, which in my opinion is just as immature.

In Germany for example, no one gives a damn about swearing. You're free to do it on TV. But most people just don't, because it simply makes them look stupid. If someone curses on live TV the audience just assumes the person to be of low intellect and not able to articulate themselves properly in front of an audience. They don't get their panties in a bunch and go "What did he just say? WHAT DID IT HE JUST SAY?? Kids, cover your ears! YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO HEAR THAT! GET ME THE PRESIDENT ON THE PHONE, NAO!"

• Options
    rlbond86rlbond86 Registered User new member
    I think you guys forgot another reason for this trend: it's much easier to write a nihilistic, sophomoric story than hire good writers to craft a great, engaging story with three-dimensional characters and a good plot.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The idea of swearing bugs me a lot in Sci Fi games or games like Gears of War that have a different humanity. The characters have a different culture so they are going to have a different set of curses.

As weird as Battlestar Galactica 2000 was, the word "frak" was a damn good idea.

• Options
    IronSaviorIronSavior Registered User regular
    This is the single most important sociological analysis documentary of our time.

• Options
    FnorosFnoros Registered User regular
    nihilism =\= depression. I have to say, you guys lost a lot of respect from me by implying that an entirety of a following of a philosophy "aren't interesting".

And another thing: I think that it may be possible that max payne 3 was not meant to be "fun" or entertaining. The same way that the gory scenes in saving private ryan aren't meant to be "fun". the focus on the aftermath of certain gunshots may be meant to emphasize what a terrible person Max is/has become, or how horrifying actual combat is. If you look at it with this mindset (and to be fair, rockstar didn't choose a very good IP to establish this with), instead of "parody of action movies/games", then it creates a more tense atmosphere, and is more of a deconstruction of the AAA violent gory shooter.

• Options
    Material DefenderMaterial Defender Registered User new member
    I knew there was something very, very wrong with Max's character in Max Payne 3. Just something missed and something forced on.

I'm glad to finally have something to point to and go "That's it."

• Options
    RountreeUSMCRountreeUSMC Registered User new member
    @AnActualBear

To be fair, the Arkham Asylum and Arkham City games were based on the comics and not the movies. Ergo, the Catwoman costume used in Arkham City is the same costume she has had in the comics since about 2001. (http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/catwoman-2001) As for Harley Quinn, her relationship with the Joker has always been tenuous at best. (I seem to remember the Joker making a comment about letting whoever killed Batman have a "night with Harley...without her knowing it" in one of the early levels of Arkham Asylum.) So her hypersexuality could be explained as trying to keep the Joker interested in her. Otherwise, I didn't really mind Talia's outfit and Vicki Vale wore a heavy peacoat. Basically, I think any video game based on a comic book that tries to be even marginally true to the comic book source material will have some degree of sexual dissonance to it since female characters using their sexual appeal is a common theme in comics (as you pointed out with Poison Ivy's character). So my devil's advocate argument would be that much of the lack of maturity mentioned may not stem from inherent flaws in the game so much as the source material on which it is based.

Fnoros wrote: »
    nihilism =\= depression. I have to say, you guys lost a lot of respect from me by implying that an entirety of a following of a philosophy "aren't interesting".

And another thing: I think that it may be possible that max payne 3 was not meant to be "fun" or entertaining. The same way that the gory scenes in saving private ryan aren't meant to be "fun". the focus on the aftermath of certain gunshots may be meant to emphasize what a terrible person Max is/has become, or how horrifying actual combat is. If you look at it with this mindset (and to be fair, rockstar didn't choose a very good IP to establish this with), instead of "parody of action movies/games", then it creates a more tense atmosphere, and is more of a deconstruction of the AAA violent gory shooter.

I am not trying to be rude so please don't take offense but if a game is not meant to be fun or entertaining then why would I want to play it? I'll admit I skipped over the Max Payne series but the description you gave made me want to avoid Max Payne 3 more so than the "hard-boiled" accusations did. I mean even movies like Saving Private Ryan have some element of entertainment to them amongst their stark realism. Also, I don't think James and Daniel were saying all nihilists aren't interesting, but merely that those who are always cynical and complaining weren't. It is the difference between someone believing a philosophy and someone constantly proselytizing about it every chance they get. After a while the latter just gets to be annoying.

• Options
    Dapper DuckDapper Duck Registered User regular
    You know what the problem is.... There isn't enough of Alison drawing GIR! :D

• Options
    ZombieAladdinZombieAladdin Registered User regular
    Sounds like a lot of people here are missing a point about Max Payne 3: Whether you like what the game gives you or not, it isn't what Max Payne 1 and 2 were about. His character and his world has drastically changed in spirit.

By the way, Harley Quinn got started in Batman: The Animated Series, by Paul Dini (the Freakazoid guy). Nevertheless, she got popular to be in the comics a lot, so...I suppose Arkham can say it bases its material on the comics. Of course, in this case, if we're going to talk about women as sex objects, it's best to distance a comic book story from the comic books themselves as a lot of them, Batman included, can get pretty misogynistic. (It's kind of ironic that Archie, despite its family friendliness, comedic approach, and episodic format, can portray female characters more convincingly than a lot of big-name comic book series out there.)

• Options
    spiralyguyspiralyguy Registered User new member
    I just discovered this site today, and it's pretty great. I think I've watched over 50 videos already.

But after watching this I just had to comment. Max Payne 3 wasn't about nihilism. He was depressed because everything had been taken from him despite his efforts. He was looking for some reason to go on but there was nothing left but his body guarding job so he threw himself into that regardless of how likeable those characters were or the danger to himself. Maybe you can't relate, but I felt a very strong connection to his character. MP3 was the best shooter I've played in a very long time, easily as good as 1 and 2 though for different reasons.