As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New LAUNCH DAY THREAD is here. Go post in it.

1899091929395»

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I didn't do any WuvWuv because I was still learning my character (first BWE) how did it all go?

I opened the map and our server (Ft Aspenwood) appeared to be 'winning' providing some nice secondary buffs. Just wondering if anyone had some more detailed information.

I know in DAOC intense rivalries developed. I'm wondering if those wont' develop if you fight a new server every two weeks. OTOH in WAR, several servers were just so imbalanced one side or the other just gave up - I think bracketing losers together and winners together will probably keep things more fair and interesting.

If WuvWuv is anything like DAOCs RVR, people in off hours time zones who can go help ninja keeps at 4 am are highly desired, even with pings of 300ms.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Did anyone else go and check the official forums only to see them go down a mere day after the BWE?

I wonder why this happened. I am wondering how the final BWE went.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I thought they always closed the official forums a day or so after the event ends.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I didn't do any WuvWuv because I was still learning my character (first BWE) how did it all go?

I opened the map and our server (Ft Aspenwood) appeared to be 'winning' providing some nice secondary buffs. Just wondering if anyone had some more detailed information.

I know in DAOC intense rivalries developed. I'm wondering if those wont' develop if you fight a new server every two weeks. OTOH in WAR, several servers were just so imbalanced one side or the other just gave up - I think bracketing losers together and winners together will probably keep things more fair and interesting.

If WuvWuv is anything like DAOCs RVR, people in off hours time zones who can go help ninja keeps at 4 am are highly desired, even with pings of 300ms.

When the game starts they actually intend to have the match-ups last 24-hours to try and get some decent matchings going.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

I think there was information somewhere that said each server should be setup with similarly skilled servers, like you said. It will probably take a few months to level out though.

Edit: beat with more accurate information.

While that would be nice, but what if said players also do extensive PvE? I'm not sure they would want a ping of 300ms even when just doing PvE. I sure don't want people to hurt their overall experience just to keep objectives in WvW.

Rednaz on
    Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

When the game starts they actually intend to have the match-ups last 24-hours to try and get some decent matchings going.

really? for how long?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Oops.

Rednaz on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

really? for how long?

Not a clue :<

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    weird! i haven't been paying attention to wvw news at all, i hope it's fun by release :P

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    That's fine with me, although I'd like to know for how long as well.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I thought the design was based around keeps/garrisons being easy to hold as long as you had supply, but was dependent on vulnerable caravans that originate from easy to attack supply camps. This cave camp seems to go against that model.

This is the key, it doesn't matter how disproportionate it is as long as there's enough defenders to keep the door repaired

They will run out of supply though at some point
    Frei wrote: »
    So, I'm wondering something that maybe a few others are wondering:

PA is full of MMO hoppers, and this is the doom of every PA guild. Extremely active at the beginning, down to 10 or so members several months later... people play every new MMO, get tired of it, then hype up the next one.

I'm wondering if this will be less of an issue because there isn't a subscription fee. And maybe people will give up their other subscription fee games to play this one. I don't know.

I'm sure there will be a lot of hoppers, but hopefully Arenanet can keep things interesting over the long term enough so its not as pronounced

Unlike SWTOR who to this day are still hammering in features the game was f'ing supposed to ship with

dude it wasn't just the game, but on the forums there was no server forums, there been hyping to have a communaty on a server with no cross server grouping and all of this "togetherness" and yet there wasn't a forum for a server. i hope arena net can do the same.

• Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    Euro guys, there are about 7 or 8 of us euro PA SWTOR people who are setting up on Desolation for European fun times. Please come join us!

We should maybe get this in the op?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular

really? for how long?

Arthil is referring to this blog post.
    To help account for the rapidly fluctuating populations at launch, we’ll initially use the 24-hour match format until world populations settle down a bit and we are able to get some data that will help avoid having two-week-long extreme mismatches. Once most worlds are reliably matching up against worlds of similar strength, we will switch over to playing the two-week-duration match cycles.

In other news, there is a new blog post today: http://www.arena.net/blog/telling-stories-from-global-to-personal-and-back-again

human-intro-header.jpg

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Rednaz wrote: »

I think there was information somewhere that said each server should be setup with similarly skilled servers, like you said. It will probably take a few months to level out though.

While that would be nice, but what if said players also do extensive PvE? I'm not sure they would want a ping of 300ms even when just doing PvE. I sure don't want people to hurt their overall experience just to keep objectives in WvW.

Guesting should be enabled by release so you can 'guest' on a server with good ping, and jump back on your american wuvwuv server to cap keeps at 4 a.m.

Draygo on
  • Options
    Draygo wrote: »
    Rednaz wrote: »

Guesting should be enabled by release so you can 'guest' on a server with good ping, and jump back on your american wuvwuv server to cap keeps at 4 a.m.

Yah, I guess that works too.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Or the Euros could do the opposite and guest to our server to hang out, then jump pack to their server to actually have wuvwuv opponents and not just always steamroll an empty server.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Or maybe the Americans could play on a Euro server for Wuvwuv purposes and then guest on American servers for PvE.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

It seemed to work pretty well, I thought. I was afraid it was going to take several matches for servers to "settle in", but it looked like our final match of the weekend (Gates of Madness vs Fort Aspenwood vs Darkhaven) was fairly balanced. GoM had a bit of the upper hand, but that was because they had a Euro contingent that snarfed up the whole map for a good six to eight hours while all us NA players slept, giving them a huge score advantage. The little graphical gas guage showed all three servers holding _about_ 1/3 of the total each. And looking at the map it seemed like all three servers in our cluster had a smattering of keeps, towers and supply camps on each map.

I'm hopeful that WvW will settle in less than a week. That way when I get back form PAX we'll be fighting rival servers that we should see for more than a single day or two.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, time for us Euros to talk a bit.

Option A: play with the main PA guild, have a US server as the home server for wuvwuv with the 'murricans. Upside: lots of other people to wuvwuv with. Downside: timezone issues.

Option B: Euro home server. We can still guest the US servers for PVE, but no wuvwuv with the American PAers. We'd also have to represent our own guild to gain influence, so no guild chat with the US side while doing that.

@Echo Your option B is not accurate. Cross-server guilds are supported quite nicely in GW2. Euro players can be in the main PA guild even if they don't choose a US server for their home server. So they have two options:

Home on a Euro server. They will have a separate influence pool they earn themselves, but they can still be in the main PA guild and have guild chat. They can guest to US servers for PvE times if they like, and have a potentially better WvW experience (lower ping / proper timezone).

Home on a US server. If they choose to WvW with the US players, they could make the US server (Fort Aspenwood) their home and guest back to Euro servers for low-ping PvE (if necessary).

Kafka87 wrote: »
    Euro guys, there are about 7 or 8 of us euro PA SWTOR people who are setting up on Desolation for European fun times. Please come join us!

Regarding what I said above, you guys could quite easily be in the main/US guild, but designating a Euro server seems like a good idea either way.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Don't forget that guild upgrades were per-server, at least during BWE2 (Frost Gate didn't get all the Fort Aspenwood stuff). You would need some Euro officers to coordinate upgrades for a Euro home server if we're all in one guild.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Enig wrote: »
    Your option B is not accurate. Cross-server guilds are supported quite nicely in GW2. Euro players can be in the main PA guild even if they don't choose a US server for their home server.

Yes, and I've said so. But you can only represent one guild at a time to give it influence for upgrades.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, we can easily make a couple of Euro players officers to manage things for that division. Having officers online at more times would be nice anyway.

There is a fair chance I will be moving to Europe next year myself.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Or maybe the Americans could play on a Euro server for Wuvwuv purposes and then guest on American servers for PvE.

While we can do that, it doesnt make that much sense. I mean it should be up to the individual. We pick a American and Euro main server, and for those that want to wuvwuv with the majority of players can roll on the american server and guest on the euro server. If some americans want to wuvwuv on the euro server that is equally welcome. Remember that if you play on a server when that server is out of its primetime you wont have to worry about wuvwuv queues.

Also the most important aspects of wuvwuv fighting can be done at high ping, running supply, building and operating seige equipment.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I am also leaning against fort aspenwood as our release server, if the servers arnt increased we should pick the lowest pop beta server, better odds of not hitting 'full' like fort aspenwood did during the bwe.

Draygo on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Sad to say that I won't be joining with PA for this game.
    I have no desire to play on a US server and the PA EU guilds are always too small and die out too quickly.
    Instead,me and my friends will be running with the EU NeoGAF guild.
    Sorry guys :(

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    There is no seperate EU an US PA guild, its all one guild.

Also you still can join the PA guild even if you dont roll on our server, I was in 4 guilds last BWE.

Draygo on
  • Options

Keep in mind the server list is not final at this point, you should probably wait to pick your server till closer to release when a final list is released.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I am opposed to going on a server with a "badass" name like Desolation. The worst people always choose those servers.

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I am also leaning against fort aspenwood as our release server, if the servers arnt increased we should pick the lowest pop beta server, better odds of not hitting 'full' like fort aspenwood did during the bwe.

We should probably wait for the release server list before deciding that. All the servers hit full during the last BWE, so it wouldn't have mattered which we picked (plus they then raised the limit on all of them). If it's the same server list, I don't think there's any reason why we couldn't stay on FA.

Geod on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Geod wrote: »

We should probably wait for the release server list before deciding that. All the servers hit full during the last BWE, so it wouldn't have mattered which we picked (plus they then raised the limit on all of them). If it's the same server list, I don't think there's any reason why we couldn't stay on FA.

Yeah, definitely need the server list and a general idea of where other communities plan to go. I don't mean we need a low pop server as that never works out, but we need to stay away from the reddit and goon primary servers if we actually want to play wuvwuv during the first month. I agree, FA should work as long as no major guilds are displaced by server list changes.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I thought the design was based around keeps/garrisons being easy to hold as long as you had supply, but was dependent on vulnerable caravans that originate from easy to attack supply camps. This cave camp seems to go against that model.

This is the key, it doesn't matter how disproportionate it is as long as there's enough defenders to keep the door repaired

They will run out of supply though at some point
    Frei wrote: »
    So, I'm wondering something that maybe a few others are wondering:

PA is full of MMO hoppers, and this is the doom of every PA guild. Extremely active at the beginning, down to 10 or so members several months later... people play every new MMO, get tired of it, then hype up the next one.

I'm wondering if this will be less of an issue because there isn't a subscription fee. And maybe people will give up their other subscription fee games to play this one. I don't know.

I'm sure there will be a lot of hoppers, but hopefully Arenanet can keep things interesting over the long term enough so its not as pronounced

Unlike SWTOR who to this day are still hammering in features the game was f'ing supposed to ship with

I just saw SWOTR went free to play until level 15? I usually only associate that with WOW or games that are dying (WAR).

It's called a trial, and every MMO gets one after it has been out for a bit. SWTOR is not WoW level of subscribers but is still extremely popular.

F2P doesn't equal death of game anymore and hasn't for some time, either.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, time for us Euros to talk a bit.

Option A: play with the main PA guild, have a US server as the home server for wuvwuv with the 'murricans. Upside: lots of other people to wuvwuv with. Downside: timezone issues.

Option B: Euro home server. We can still guest the US servers for PVE, but no wuvwuv with the American PAers. We'd also have to represent our own guild to gain influence, so no guild chat with the US side while doing that.

@Echo Your option B is not accurate. Cross-server guilds are supported quite nicely in GW2. Euro players can be in the main PA guild even if they don't choose a US server for their home server. So they have two options:

Home on a Euro server. They will have a separate influence pool they earn themselves, but they can still be in the main PA guild and have guild chat. They can guest to US servers for PvE times if they like, and have a potentially better WvW experience (lower ping / proper timezone).

Home on a US server. If they choose to WvW with the US players, they could make the US server (Fort Aspenwood) their home and guest back to Euro servers for low-ping PvE (if necessary).

Regarding what I said above, you guys could quite easily be in the main/US guild, but designating a Euro server seems like a good idea either way.

This is a thing?! If so, that is amazing. I had no idea the guild functionality went that far.

How would influence etc work? Would there just be a big central pool of it, or is the influence server by server?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.