Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

[PATV] Wednesday, April 4, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 8: Games You Might Not Have Tried #3

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
image[PATV] Wednesday, April 4, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 8: Games You Might Not Have Tried #3

This week, we rattle off yet another list of games worth checking out. Come discuss this topic in the <a href="http://extra-credits.net/episodes/games-you-might-not-have-tried-3/#discuss&quot; target="_blank">forums</a>!

Read the full story here

Dog on

• NarndaNarnda Registered User new member
    There's a flash game called Coma. It's fun, interesting, and pretty short.

• ZonbiTaraZonbiTara Registered User new member
    Wow, it's pretty baron down here....

Anyways, a game that I adore is Within a Deep Forest. It was made by Nifflas and has probably the most unique version of platforming I've ever seen. And it's free. You're welcome.

• kaygirl101kaygirl101 Registered User new member
    I don't know if this is outside your time scope, but "The Endless Forrest". It's an MMO where you play as a deer person and can't talk. Free to play. Also "Which", it's a creepy exploration thing that has two endings. Also free.

• UbaUba WARegistered User regular
    LOVE that PoxNora was mentioned, had been enjoying it myself recently. Only thing that makes me sad is the parts you have to pay for, I would much rather pay for a full game at a flat rate. Regardless, I enjoy it a lot as it reminds me of tabletop wargames and magic cards combined, try it out :)

The witch stands before you now, Burning in demon light, Condemned to serve the black, It cares now for your cries, You fall before it now, Grovel with your last breath, Your god can't save your soul, GAZE INTO THE FACE OF DEATH!

Warhammer: Lizardmen
    Warmachine: Cryx
  • RazaxxRazaxx Registered User regular
    Realm of the Mad God was is a great example of how a game can mix many MANY mechanics from different genres into a fun game.
    To me it shows how great a hands off RPG can be. Instead of guiding a player through a linear story (even with choices; a game like Skyrim), it shows a life cycle of a hero and then the different options are in their success and how they die. Meaningful choices are in abandoning players to survive yourself or in the risks you take. This hits home more than a character in-game succeeding or dieing.
    The second thing that the game does well is in it's depth; it seems simple - you shoot at enemies and dodge to improve your character, however it provides a reward for players who dig deeper.
    As a small note, I want to commend the cash shop for making the (whole) game free, but providing key services (vault space and character slots) to veterans. Everything else is just to distinguish you from the other players.
    The last thing that I will ramble about here is the stat/skill balance in your character. This is done really well with the permanent-death mechanics. In order to get stats for yourself, you need skill. The more stats you have, the less a mistake will cost you but if you aren't skilled, you will lose the stats.

• TheTwistedFrogPrinceTheTwistedFrogPrince Mina Reed FloridaRegistered User new member
    A few good games you might not have tried ideas that I came up with are these...
    Dungeon Keeper. I loved that game. Its a little old and very strange, but i like that in a game. When games have that uniqueness to them. And its challenging but not hard. I mean, i played it as a child and never became frustrated, but now that I'm older i don't feel like its too easy.

Another good game (if you like horror games) is the slenderman games. They're bad when it comes to graphics, but if you can get past that, it's a pretty scary game. And its hard to find those outside of franchises that aren't scary after the 5th game.

Folklore is another good game. I got it for PS3, and it plays different than a lot of other games do. It follows two storylines that interconnect, and you only see certain things if you play one character and others if you play the other. You get some overlap, but it adds to the feel of the game. Its just enough cute to balance the creepy, and vice versa. I loved it.

siggy.jpg
  • rdiffee7rdiffee7 Registered User regular
    A lot of these videos mention indie games, many of which you can find on Steam. I'd like to recommend Sequence by Iridium. Awesome gameplay with re-play value, excellent although overly-repeated soundtrack, and a an awesome blend of two very different genres. I'd love to see a sequel or expansion.

• Dapper DuckDapper Duck Registered User regular
    Ok I would just like to add something as a footnote to Dear Esther. The game's real strength is in telling a story through what you hear from the narrator/ambient sound, what you see and sometimes what you don't see. It's like a novel you walk into in where you have to decode the story in it. And if you can figure out the story without even googleing anything, damn son you are good at analysis and please tell me I can barely pull this one apart! XD

I don't want to spoil anything but let me tell you it still took 3 hours of playing to figure out who I was in the first place :P

• CyrithCyrith Registered User regular
    I just downloaded and played through the demo of Recettear, and I can honestly say its been a while since ive seen a game so charming and unusual. Will be buying the full game.