As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft 2] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    nice music mig

sleigh bells opened for the red hot chili peppers when I saw them

edit - going away this week is good. missing evo and homestory cup is bad.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I can't be the only person who plays with everything muted (except nuke, nydus, etc.) because sounds are distracting.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yilias is serious as fuck

I play with my music on, game music off, all other sounds on at a slightly higher volume than the music.

• Options
    ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    I can't be the only person who plays with everything muted (except nuke, nydus, etc.) because sounds are distracting.

How can you play without unit warnings???

1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I play with my music on, game music off, all other sounds on at a slightly higher volume than the music.

Why so Yilias?

11776-1.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    SorC wrote: »

Why so Yilias?
    ...oh my god yes

• Options
    yj9YV.jpg

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice about switching to Zerg everyone, I think I'm enjoying it more. I've still got a long way to go naturally, but I like being able to adapt quickly.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    now you're playing the real game at least

• Options
    edited July 2012
    My main challenge now is figuring out the drone/army balance. I know you want to be as greedy with drones as you can get away with; I just have to figure out how to recognize where that point is.

Also, I'm pretty terrible at taking my third base. I get it way too late most of my games, though I've lost a couple thirds due to poor defense/scouting.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Easy solution to not knowing when to take your third

Pick a time that is really really early, and take it then for 10 games. If you find yourself unable to defend it, and can't figure out a way to modify your build to be able to defend it that early, get it 30 seconds later. Repeat until you find you can consistently defend it.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Oh god proleague people have a ways to go.

Ace match, 30 min. Protoss still 2 base, zerg never went above 3, zerg still on pure roach with lair, no infestors in sight.

• Options
    TrunkersTrunkers Registered User regular
    seriously while I was in Belgium last 2 weeks it didn't go above 25 degrees celsius on any day and on several days each week it was raining
    that is not summer

There have been like two days of summer in Belgium so far this year. And they were both in March.

My MTG Cube Site - -http://riptidelab.com
  • Options
    I was thinking about buying a gomtv gsl season 3 ticket, but it doesn't feel like it's worth it when the season's over in a bit less than a month.

My timing's always bad whenever I consider doing that.

• Options
    jaziek wrote: »
    Trunkers wrote: »
    Anybody willing to provide a 20 word recap on the major happenings of the last 3 months of starcraft?

Queens got 5 range, Terran is now fucked.

People currently;

hate: Day9, JP.
    love: drama

Symbol will win code S.

How can people hate Day 9? Was there some major drama I missed?

I also think people hate on JP just so they can turn around the next day and make reddit threads loving and defending JP.

I watched one Symbol game. He lost to Squirtle's air -> Colossus opening. Did he end up winning that match?

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    no the JP hate is pretty constant here

reddit has always been a unending ouroboros of love/despise

• Options
    no the JP hate is pretty constant here

reddit has always been a unending ouroboros of love/despise

Had to wikipedia this. Previously I only knew the word as a D3 item.

• Options
    our rob or ross

• Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    editorial piece, inspired by encouragement thread on top of reddit for a 14 year old SC2 player who just missed MLG qualifiers to a 16 year old;

Man nothing is more buzzkilling to me then when a sub adult player does well in an event. Like 16? 15? 14? Damn it, I don't care! Go away and chase grasshoppers in the yard and play with your friends.

Like it is so far from normal to try to blast into GrandMaster's league with rehearsed bulids for a kid. What are you doing? This game won't even exist when you qualify for a driver's license, training in it is just going to make you a boring adult!

Sure its an unfair mindset, but good luck to me getting anyone I know to watch this shit if teenagers start dominating again. It is mentally exclusionary, I am supposed to be getting wrapped up in aged stories and bitter rivalries, not a spelling bee level of juvenile academic obession.

I had to stop watching Brood War for that shit. At some point Nal_rA, Saviour, and Boxer disappeared and it turned into asian disney channel with more motorcycle jackets. (or less?) 'Hey guys check this out, the goonies are having videogame battles! No its entertaining I swear!"

I want gladtiators warring eachother in a digital landscape, with full beards, creaky bones, bad breath, and the glint of youth long since forgotten. Not god damn extras from an after school special. Nothing about you is interesting, you are 11! You could go sleep in a barn for a decade and still be not be too old to be a college freshmen!

Sacrifice is intrigue, WhiteRa is going to father children off of a budget made by playing PC game! Dear lord we must root for him! Missing a junior high school dance to play in a tournament is not awe inspiring!

Is it even impressive when a 12 year old who plays videogames for days at a time, can memorize enough Korean allins to sneak into GM? Sick of seeing damn threads everywhere spouting off like that ability scales with age, its like the basketball draft websites measuring baby index fingers to project the next big thing. Its all fine and good until, your balls drop, then where's your singing voice now??

Worst is, he is doing all this while being so strong in his studies! Man the only reason high school kids take text books home is to add to the legacy of genitals drawings in those blank pages after the front cover. The best was when you crossed out the book dedication and wrote in penis. 'Professor, I couldn't read the book, it was dedicated to a picture of a vagina with vampire teeth! I was morally offended', wait that was Biomechanics 3000.

I think the main advantage youth gives, is complete unwillingness to play with style, original thought, or a competitive soul. Watch a game that Major plays, he's like a mexican children of the corn (tortilla). Can children even think original things? I don't think so, that's why all their art projects are turkey hand tracings. My only memories from before age 20 are about the ebay sale value of pokemon cards, and that was when I was 19.

You should have to be able to drink a fifth of vodka, and qualify for a trucker's license to play in an MLG. If you haven't seen at least one thing you wish you could forget in the back room of a strip club, I don't want to hear your story! You can't entertain without feeling any pain, damn it.

Someone needs to develop an RTS, where wisdom and beard length correlate to skill. Is there any legislature rule I can invoke to stop me from seeing Pokebunny or Illusion until they have sideburns? We could have them sent to a boarding school, or maybe some sort of diamond mine?

Maybe there can be some sort of version of that golf league that Jack Nicklaus still plays in that I would watch instead, you know where they remove a lot of the physical requirement. Like an All Protoss legends league?

What if each player breaking thirty years old was given a set number of 'virtual players' (toddlers), that they commanded to play the game for them? This would provide a level playing ground. And would create a lot of interesting content. (WhiteRa on camera in Napoleon hat, command three children to orchestrate a four gate for him by barking in native Ukranian).

Ideally we could figure this out before the next big event.

redraptor on
  • Options
    What.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    that post made me want corn tortillas

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    I think that post has to go down in the PA thread history books alongside "14 minutes of pro play" and "MVP didn't practice for his games against naniwa/foreigner would get banned playing like that/MVP played like a gold leaguer"

That is satire, right? Right?

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    nothing will ever top fourteen minutes of pro play

• Options
    Who was it that had 14 minutes of pro play?

Whoever it was was stuck in diamond right?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I

I...

What

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Who was it that had 14 minutes of pro play?

Whoever it was was stuck in diamond right?

that would be fizban, god rest his soul

edit: everyone getting mad at joe at one time or another while also trying to help him has also been one of my favourite things about this thread

815165 on
  • Options
    I like that no one gets mad at joe anymore because he doesn't try to improve anymore

nice equilibrium

• Options
    it's a fair compromise

• Options
    half measures avail us nothing

-losira

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Euphemon wrote: »
    I think that post has to go down in the PA thread history books alongside "14 minutes of pro play" and "MVP didn't practice for his games against naniwa/foreigner would get banned playing like that/MVP played like a gold leaguer"

That is satire, right? Right?

ahahah

I'd forgotten that I said that.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I like that no one gets mad at joe anymore because he doesn't try to improve anymore

nice equilibrium

that's a trip down memory lane

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    reading that post felt like pure unfiltered esports was just flowing into my eyeballs

• Options
    its probably the most neckbeardy post I've seen related to starcraft, and that's certainly a feat in and of itself.

• Options
    i dunno

i kind of agree with him

• Options
    not in the way that i think young players should be kicked out or anything

but i don't like seeing a lot of young players playing either

• Options
    It is cool to see young players do well, but I agree that they haven't got the personality or stories behind them that older and more established players will have. They also can't handle themselves as well in the spotlight as the more experienced players, and so it does become harder to relate to them.

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    ya'll just mad that a 14 year old is better than you

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    tGac7.jpg[img][/img]

TannerMS on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    TannerMS wrote: »
    tGac7.jpg[img][/img]

Tanner... I always knew you had it in you, but now I know you have so much more potential left to go!

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I like that music you posted MMMig! Anything else similar I might enjoy?

My 3rd option is standard SC2 fan music (Temp0, Ken Ashcorp) and my 4th is Super Mario 3 OST, but those aren't similar to what I posted.

Similar to Sally or Sleigh, hmmm, I'll have to look at my playlist when I get home.
    The Smiths is always legit.

also, yes, this:
    yj9YV.jpg

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra