As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Newsroom - Better Than Rotten Turkey Meat

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    FYI the Eric Neal character is voiced by Jesse Eisenberg (Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network)

• Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Artreus wrote: »
    Veretas wrote: »
    Of course everyone on facebook is posting this vid right now: http://youtu.be/YI7Oq8y-jXA

Yell at them

because I was talking about it with Fire truck and I agree with him that the second half of it is infuriating bullshit

yeah, and then he does the "back in the day, America sure was great" speil, while obviously ignoring a whole multitude of problems like segregation, etc

sure, it could be a flaw of his character, but when you give a character such an eloquent monologue it kind of seems like the writer is using him as a mouthpiece, but I haven't seen the show yet to know if there are any characters to call him on his shit. but man Sorkin can write a fucking monologue, jesus.

EDIT: I see you've got that covered

Scudo on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I love Sports Night, but I hated Studio 60

didn't really watch the West Wing

not sure how I feel about this show based on the pilot

but this video is pretty funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78RzZr3IwI

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Goose! wrote: »
    FYI the Eric Neal character is voiced by Jesse Eisenberg (Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network)

yeah, his voice is pretty distinct

also

I just watched this, and it has the studio 60 problem where the main character is AN INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT MAN only this time instead of that title being hilariously applied to a sketch comedy writer (whose most controversial sketch is called "CRAZY CHRISTIAN") it's applied to an incredible jackass

also that entire opening sequence, with him just... sitting in on a debate for some reason? and then his ex-girlfriend is there flashing cue cards at him like she's in that "we've got to do something" video from forgetting sarah marshall and then everyone sits there while he rants and gives an impassioned speech and then berates some girl and says she's part of the worst generation ever based on...fuck, I dunno, but back in MY day things were great!...

that opening sequence might be the most heavy handed pile of crap I've sat through

the rest of the show was better, but I don't have a lot of faith that there won't be more impassioned speeches about what's wrong with america (and these kids today)

• Options
    it's kind of amazing how the end of the pilot is basically Sorkin writing a wish-fulfillment story about how he thinks the media should have broken the Deepwater Horizon story

• Options
    yeah, pretty sure there's gonna be more of that

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Man, Sorkin is going to run out of types of television to turn into melodrama. Sports, sketch comedy, and news are all off the table. I expect next he'll start work on how a children's show gets made.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    man social network is one of my favorite movies

i am really this is apparently super dumb

team up with fincher again sorkin, that's the winning combo

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    it's kind of amazing how the end of the pilot is basically Sorkin writing a wish-fulfillment story about how he thinks the media should have broken the Deepwater Horizon story

Yeah this was my only problem with the pilot

All that stuff they figured out in like four hours took months to come out in reality. It could have been just as dramatic without the super-genius-reporter-savant thing

I don't know why everyone is taking the opening monologue so personally, I mean you hear that kind of speech all the time from cranky semi-relevant old men. The character obviously sucks as a person, that's his whole thing; saying shitty stuff in an eloquent way.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    i thought the pilot was good but i like sorkin's stuff

and it was sorkin as shit

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular

Yeah this was my only problem with the pilot

All that stuff they figured out in like four hours took months to come out in reality. It could have been just as dramatic without the super-genius-reporter-savant thing

I don't know why everyone is taking the opening monologue so personally, I mean you hear that kind of speech all the time from cranky semi-relevant old men. The character obviously sucks as a person, that's his whole thing; saying shitty stuff in an eloquent way.

interestingly, this kind of speech doesn't get less infuriating the more exposure it gets.

• Options
    Not saying it does, just that it's more "old man-esque" as opposed to Sorkin-esque. I took it more as a piece of blatant characterization than Sorkin espousing his personal views.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Well the last part of the speech applies every bit as much to boomers, more so in fact since they're the ones running everything. He's into the trope that millennials are a terrible generation that I hate, but it certainly fits the character.

I don't understand why everyone hates this show so much. Maybe it's because I don't have PHD in Sorkin's work or whatever, but I really liked it.

override367 on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    yeah, pretty sure there's gonna be more of that

get ready for literally the entire show

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    watched that speech clip just now

the girl specified in one sentence or less god dammit!

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    Of course everyone on facebook is posting this vid right now: http://youtu.be/YI7Oq8y-jXA

LOL a lot of that is nostalgic bullshit.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    it was sorkin as shit

Sold!

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

I love The West Wing and The Social Network, and I liked this first episode, but man this interview makes him look like a real douche.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    that video combined with its emotional music is terrible as fuck

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Characters saying something is not often the writers' point of view

More at eleven

• Options
    Well in this case it seems to be .... the case

• Options
    Just read that article hot damn

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    i'm bored, so it's time to read the YouTube comments!

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    i'm bored, so it's time to read the YouTube comments!

Never be that bored. Here, read My Man Jeeves instead.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Sorkin comes off pretty badly in that article

seems like he is kind of a jerk

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

More at eleven

this is frequently true

but i suspect it is less often true with aaron sorkin shows

• Options
    "Listen up, internet girl! Have you ever read a newspaper??"

• Options
    Langly wrote: »

More at eleven

this is frequently true

but i suspect it is less often true with aaron sorkin shows

No i completely retract that statement after reading that article.

• Options
    Remember when Aaron Sorkin tried to write a character that wasn't a version of himself and it ended up being a straw man version of his ex-girlfriend?

• Options
    I haven't watched any of his TV shows beyond this one, but it seems to me that the Great Man theory, from what I've seen, is sort of ridiculous. Between this, A Few Good Men, and The Social Network, the "Great Man" is a dickhead who is frequently wrong. Maybe it only comes out in the shows. This one supposedly crashes and burns around Ep 3 or 4 so we'll see.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Yeah I finished the first episode last night

I uh

Yeah it's bad

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    "Listen up, internet girl! Have you ever read a newspaper??"

Doesn't he hate the internet? I got that feeling from his The Social Network interviews
    Also an artist kind of a jerk? I for one am shocked

• Options
    I haven't watched any of his TV shows beyond this one, but it seems to me that the Great Man theory, from what I've seen, is sort of ridiculous. Between this, A Few Good Men, and The Social Network, the "Great Man" is a dickhead who is frequently wrong. Maybe it only comes out in the shows. This one supposedly crashes and burns around Ep 3 or 4 so we'll see.

In the article he specifically agrees with everything the main character says.

• Options
    I thought Sorkin just wrote about his liberal fantasies? Bartlet was basically the perfect liberal president.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Seriously that clip is fucking terrible. What kind of person thinks America is the greatest country in the world? And why are they all shocked when Daniels says that it's not? And I love how they pull out their cameras like they're recording something actually important.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Seriously that clip is fucking terrible. What kind of person thinks America is the greatest county in the world? And why are they all shocked when Daniels says that it's not? And I love how they pull out their cameras like they're recording something actually important.

Greatest county in the world.

PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Seriously that clip is fucking terrible. What kind of person thinks America is the greatest county in the world? And why are they all shocked when Daniels says that it's not? And I love how they pull out their cameras like they're recording something actually important.

ummmmm I'm pretty sure that most Americans think we are the best

because we're told as much constantly

• Options
    http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/01/pew-americans-dont-see-u-s-as-greatest-nation-on-earth/
    Despite the struggling economy and broad dissatisfaction with national conditions, the public has a positive view of the United States' global standing. But more think that the U.S. is one of the greatest countries in the world than say it stands above all other countries.

Slightly more than half (53%) say that the United States "is one of the greatest countries in the world, along with some others." Fewer (38%) say that the U.S. "stands above all other countries in the world." Just 8% think that "there are other countries that are better than the U.S."

• Options
    unless of course you watch Fox News

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/16/fox-news-poll-america-weaker-greatest-country-world-voters-say/
    A large majority of American voters believe the United States is the best country in the world.

Overall, 84 percent of voters think the United States is the greatest country in the world, including 89 percent of Republicans, 84 percent of Democrats and 73 percent of independents.